MIB's thread for tracking stuffs.

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

maninblack
Location: I'm out of my mind at the moment please leave a message after the beep.

MIB's thread for tracking stuffs.

Postby maninblack » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:49 pm UTC

I went to the doctor yesterday for my first physical in way too long. I'm generally healthy, but overweight. The doctor suggested aiming to eat 500 calories less per day than my daily basil metabolic rate. Divorced of details that leaves me needing to count calories. I started right away first thing this morning with a google docs spread sheet, which if history repeats itself here will only last a week at the most.

I'm looking for suggestions for calorie counting software. Actually, to be honest, an android app would be ideal, but a web site or a PC app would be ok as well.

Thanks!
Last edited by maninblack on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
addams wrote:It was like a game of Rugby and I was the Puck. Yeah. I was taking a beating and I was in the wrong game.
roband wrote:If this is a serious question, the answer is no.
If it's a philosophical one, I have no idea.

jobriath

Re: Weight Loss and Calorie Counting

Postby jobriath » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:08 pm UTC

Some friends have had luck with this, and it has an android app: http://www.myfitnesspal.com . It learns reasonably quickly what your usual foods are, so the data entry becomes easier over time, and also helps estimate your basal.

I've a friend who aimed for a 500 calorie deficit and sustained it over about a year by basically exercising and eating steak+interesting salads. (Protip: You can eat bags and bags of undressed leaf salad basically for free.) Good food sounds like the best way to keep up good eating! (Said friend is now svelte, and is approx. a triangle forged from muscle, from the rock climbing we do.)

Good luck!

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:46 pm UTC

Small point of clarity: I don't know how overweight you are, but usually you want to eat 500 calories less than your daily maintenance (TDEE), not your basic metabolic rate (BMR). For sedentary people, this is eating at or slightly above your BMR. With this method, you lose about a pound a week. Online calcs will only get you so far -- weigh yourself as you go and twerk caloric intake based on results.

For name brand-y stuff, I like
http://caloriecount.about.com/ (they have an app, but I've never tried it)

For generic stuff (meat, e.g.) I prefer Wolfram Alpha. Just type in stuff like "calories coconut"
http://www.wolframalpha.com/

~

Past that: plan everything. I broke my caloric intake down on a meal-by-meal basis, and knew what I was going to eat at least one day in advance. This prevented binging and made sure I met goals, instead of staring at the pantry going "what could I eat that's X calories?" Also this means I'm not actively counting calories throughout the day, and keeping a running total. That step is already done. I'm just following through.

Also, lifting weights is a good thing to pick up.

Edited url because exrx is a cheeky site that doesn't like hotlinking.
Last edited by philsov on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

maninblack
Location: I'm out of my mind at the moment please leave a message after the beep.

Postby maninblack » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:57 pm UTC

philsov wrote:Also, lifting weights is a good thing to pick up.

First off thanks for that. It made me smile.

jobriath wrote:Some friends have had luck with this, and it has an android app: http://www.myfitnesspal.com .

I got signed up with this, and so far so good. The app is pretty slick and easy to use. The ability to scan the bar code of packaged food items makes entering them really easy.

I was shocked at how calorie rich my dinner was especially since I ate less than I normally would. Yikes, looks like my biggest problem area is going to be the evening meal. *shrugs* Good news tho' I was under my calorie goal for yesterday and I'm counting calories again today.

Thanks.
addams wrote:It was like a game of Rugby and I was the Puck. Yeah. I was taking a beating and I was in the wrong game.

maninblack

Postby maninblack » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:05 pm UTC

I guess now that I've gotten started tracking, I've got more questions....

First what's the best/easiest way to track calories in home cooked meals? I usually find myself looking online for a recipe that looks similar to whtvr it was I just ate that has nutrition facts.

Also what should I have for a calorie distribution? My daily net calorie goal is 1910, which would put me on pace to lose one and a half pounds per week. I have found that usually my evening meals are typically the heaviest. I'll use today for example, because I have the data in front of me, and this data seems roughly typical.

Breakfast: Coffee and Yogurt 108 calories
Lunch: Healthy Weight - Green Giant frozen vegetable blend - 180 calories
Snacks: York Peppermint Pretzel Sandwiches (non typical) - 175 calories
Oats & Honey Crunchy Granola Bars - Nature Valley (typical) - 190

This so far puts me at 653 calories consumed with 1257 left. I've literally just finished my lunch, and expect to have a banana as an afternoon snack.

I'm not sure what level of detail you all would find helpful, but I guess what I really want to know is when should I be eating my calories? ... Like is 100-150 for breakfast 200 - 300 for lunch, two or three snacks not exceeding 200 calories throughout the day, and a heavy dinner a viable plan?

Clearly you all are not certified nutritionists, but this is the first time in my life I've counted calories, so I really have no idea what I'm doing.

philsov

Postby philsov » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:22 pm UTC

First what's the best/easiest way to track calories in home cooked meals?

Best and easy are usually opposites when it comes to this stuff.

But the basic answer is screw online recipes, unless you're following said recipe to the T (or find the difference between the two and calc accordingly). Just do a lot of math. For example, my omelette muffins....

All the ingredients come with a nutritional label. The cottage cheese is (ass-pulled numbers here) four 4oz servings at 90 calories a pop. Therefore, the entire tub is 360 calories. One egg is 80 calories, so 6 eggs is 480 calories. Repeat this for all ingredients and then you have a summation. Divide your summation by total number of servings. In the case of muffins this sort of thing is easy -- all the ingredients are 2200 net, and I make 14 muffins, so ~160). Soups and such are a little bit harder, but you should be able to eyeball "one quarter of the pot" or similar increment.

For stuff without direct labels, like meat -- again, wolfram alpha as above. The meat at least comes with a total weight attached. So... if your package of 5 chicken breasts is 3 pounds, each chicken breast is therefore 0.6 lbs, or 272 grams. Given that 84g skinless chicken breast is 140 cals, this means your chicken breast is 450 calories.

In the odd chance that eyeballing stuff out of the box is difficult, getting a kitchen scale will help out if you do a lot of home cooking (which I recommend. The home cooking, I mean. And therefore the scale. So... both, really? :p)

~

The good news is once you've done the math once you never need to do it again. Once my bank of foods was established, it was able to autopilot pretty well.

Also what should I have for a calorie distribution?

I don't know what the "should" level is, but from experience it's "whatever works." You know when you get hungry, you know what your schedule allows. Personally when I was doing weight loss (1 lb a week for a whole year, ~1800 calories a day on average), my plan was 250 calorie breakfast, 600 calorie lunch, 350 calories post work (5 pm ish), 400 calories post workout (9pm ish), and two 100 calorie snacks for whenever I felt like it. I'm rarely hungry in the mornings. Smaller meals throughout the day instead of a front loaded dinner tends to increase satiety. Feeling hungry sucks*. There's a lot of... broscience out there that talks about "keeping your metabolism up with 6 small meals" and stuff, but afaik it's all bunk.

And as an aside, look into eating more protein. You're very carb-heavy right now. The figure that gets thrown around a lot is 1g protein per lb LBM. Not only does it increase satiety, but it spares LBM loss and accelerates fat loss (see bottom of page, also see the note that Protein requirements increase when calories are insufficient). Try and introduce things like eggs, cottage cheese (any cheese, really), greek yogurt, almonds, and more meat into your diet.

What I did when I first started was not to restrict myself -- just log everything I ate, and then hop into the review booth after a week. From there I was able to see what could be cut, what I wanted to keep, and where I could substitute in something a little more protein-filled. This kept me with more than 75% of what I was eating, quality wise -- I just reduced some portions and substituted in some other stuff. This sort of change is a lot easier to stick to than a complete 180 with whole wheat everything and no cookies ever and blah blah blah. Additionally, I also permitted myself one cheat meal a week. This was pre-planned (ie, not a binge). It was usually friday lunch, and usually to the tune of about 1000 calories. It's easier to vent off steam than to bottle it in and cause an explosion, ya know? In the long run this meant I lost one less pound per 3 months, but it was worth it.

*To this end, I recommend stocking up on low-calorie veggies/fruits like tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplant, and such to eat as well.

maninblack

Postby maninblack » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm UTC

Thanks.

The biggest hurdle for me wrt (with respect to) home cooked meals is that my wife usually cooks dinner before I get home from work, and she doesn't often follow any recipe to a T. I guess I would need to ask her to specifically log what she puts into dinner. To your point this would be arduous initially, but would get much easier after we had a log of the common meals she makes. A kitchen scale is actually on my Christmas list ;-).

I know I'm carb heavy, and light on the protein. I'm really not sure what the best way to fix that is. I'm not a morning person so my breakfast is usually eaten at my desk at work. This means it needs to be cold and portable, hence fruit, yogurt, and granola. I like eggs, but I don't often eat them on days that I work. I'm thinking I should start hard boiling eggs, and bring those to work, or maybe doing protein meal replacement shake for breakfast.

I guess the challenge becomes (since I eat my breakfast and my lunch at work (usually at my desk)) finding protein rich foods I can bring to work.

Thanks again.

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:52 pm UTC

Plain Greek yogurt or cottage cheese with fruit. Whey shakes. Protein bars. Cheese and cold meats, including but not limited to jerky.

philsov

Postby philsov » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:31 pm UTC

I guess I would need to ask her to specifically log what she puts into dinner.

That would be my suggestion, yeah. Even it's unscientific terms like a "glug" of olive oil, it'll get you somewhere. If she's math averse she can shove the empty ingredient containers into an old grocery bag and you can pick through that to do the tallying later, as opposed to the trash can with everything else inside of it.

hard boiling eggs, and bring those to work

Is what I do to :). Similarly I have a stash of protein powder in my desk -- it's nice that it needs no prep (spoon and some water) and no refrigeration. I also like string cheese or will sometimes get a block of mozzarella and pre-slice that into 1 oz servings as well. "Cutterwich" sandwiches store pretty well. It's a single slice of bread with some peanut butter on it. Fold in half and eat like a normal sandwich. Not protein-heavy, mind, but it travels well for breakfast on the go.

As for work lunches -- I have access to a fridge and microwave so I brown bag everything. Cook at home, store in single portion, reheat at work. See my omelette muffin link above for a variety of protein-filled things I bring/brought into work all the time. Even if you don't have a fridge -- it's not like food goes bad at room temp for 5 hours. If you don't have a microwave... that's a matter of taste. I like warm food, but cold-cut heavy sandwiches have a lot of potential.

cottage cheese with fruit.

Another one I'll second. But store them separately, fruit pending. One time... I.... pre-mixed pineapple and cottage cheese for consumption later. Never again. Who knew acid curdled dairy? I mean really?

maninblack

Postby maninblack » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:30 pm UTC

Nath wrote:Protein bars
Om Nom Nom. Thanks Nath. I made some of those, and I'm quite enjoying them. I don't think he says in the video, so I'll ask you if you've made them: How do you store them? Fridge? Freezer? I've tried both, and I'm not sure which I prefer.

philsov wrote:...lots of helpful stuff...

For work lunches I do have access to both a fridge/freezer and a microwave. I stocked up on cheap TV dinners before I started my diet, so now I'm a little stuck eating those. Apart from that I tend to eat a lot of left overs for lunch. Which is ok, especially since I'll already have counted the calories in them.

For me, the biggest hurdle is just getting enough protein, and you two have given me more than enough suggestions for that.

Thanks.

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:52 pm UTC

maninblack wrote:
Nath wrote:Protein bars
Om Nom Nom. Thanks Nath. I made some of those, and I'm quite enjoying them. I don't think he says in the video, so I'll ask you if you've made them: How do you store them? Fridge? Freezer? I've tried both, and I'm not sure which I prefer.

I keep them in the fridge.

maninblack

Postby maninblack » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:13 pm UTC

Bad news: I totally binged on frozen pizza last night.
Good news: I still feel sick now so maybe I'll learn to not do that again.

I'm on overtime for the moment because I'm taking next week off and having a bit of car trouble so the boss is letting me work extra now. I worked more than eleven hours yesterday, and didn't eat dinner until I got home. I was tired, my will power was down, and I was too lazy to make a real meal so I had one and a half frozen pizzas instead. It wasn't satisfying. It wasn't filling. I went from being hungry to feeling sick. (Maybe all this belongs in the fit 'fess thread. Is there a fit 'fess thread?) I'm still feeling sick... just like uncomfortable in my guts at the moment. So I haven't eaten any breakfast yet. I know skipping breakfast isn't a good idea, and that's why I'm posting.

I don't expect an immediate response, but the question is: Now what? Yesterday I was 1223 Calories over my daily goal. Its just after 0900 here and I haven't had breakfast yet. What should I eat today? Clearly I can't get back on track by only eating 677 calories today, but should cutting those calories out of the next two or three days be my goal? I could (in theory) make some of it up with exercise, but since I'll be working overtime the rest of this week I likely won't have the time or energy for much. I have a desk job so working extra doesn't burn extra calories.

Thanks in advance.

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:38 pm UTC

Don't stress out about it. You ate 700 calories over maintenance yesterday, and this'll obviously be a problem if you let it happen regularly, but doing it once won't cause lasting damage. Stick to your planned 500 calorie deficit for today. Think of it this way: the cost of screwing up is time. You just added two more days before you'll meet your weight loss goal.

philsov

Postby philsov » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:45 pm UTC

one and a half frozen pizzas

How... how does that happen? You cooked two pizzas up front? Cooked one, was still hungry, and cooked the second one?

I was tired, my will power was down, and I was too lazy to make a real meal

In order -- that's fine, that's fine, that's... not.

I know I'm playing Monday morning quarterback, but this is the benefit of precooked and frozen/fridged meals stored in single (or double. <3 wifey) portions. A pizza takes... what... 20 minutes to cook and cool? You could have devoured a plate of healthier, tastier, lower-caloric density/volume food before that pizza was done. Lack of time and energy is a common enough occurrence that you need to prepare for it when you DO have time and energy. It's both a preventative and protective measure. Caving to cravings are common enough as is, especially when immediate gratification is involved (ie, pure fast food) -- you don't want to compound it when immediate gratification isn't a factor.

That said... don't overcorrect. Shit happens. Just stick to the plan. You got this :).

maninblack

Postby maninblack » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:03 pm UTC

Nath wrote:You just added two more days before you'll meet your weight loss goal.

Thanks. My weight loss goal is a long term goal. Adding two days to what could take a year or more doesn't seem so bad.

philsov wrote:How... how does that happen? You cooked two pizzas up front? Cooked one, was still hungry, and cooked the second one?

Wife and I don't like the same kinds of frozen pizza. I cooked and ate my entire pizza. ... First I had the five pieces that I had planned on then sat and thought about it, and tired to not want anymore. ... Failed and finished my pizza. ... Later Wife and I were watching netflix half of her pizza was sitting on the coffee table, within arm's reach, and I wasn't satisfied. *shrugs* I could have easily put her left over half in the refrigerator. So... to your point the *extra* pizza was a crime of opportunity.

philsov wrote:
I was tired, my will power was down, and I was too lazy to make a real meal

In order -- that's fine, that's fine, that's... not.

Right. The worst part about it is there were other really really easy options in the house at the time. Pizza was the planned entree, but there was fruit, lettuce, carrots... lots of other things that I could have supplemented my five pieces of pizza with. *sigh*

Hehehe... wow. I guess I didn't think about food/weight loss this way, but it's just like anything else you have difficulty with. The most important thing is "Do the next right thing" or "Make the next right choice."

Thanks. You all have been very helpful and supportive.

philsov

Postby philsov » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:53 pm UTC

Gotcha. So the 2nd pizza was both necessary (wife) and convenient (already made). So the given outcome is a little more understandable.

Still, something you should be (actively are?) doing is developing better habits. If you see this thing as a short term deal, you'll be back to the doc in record time. This is going to slowly turn into a permanent lifestyle change (subtle change, but change nonetheless) -- this is how lost weight stays gone. The suggestion to put away the uneaten portion immediately is a good one. As for the fruits/lettuce/carrots -- is there anything you could've done beforehand? I know with apples and such pre-slicing isn't really an option due to oxidation, but if the lettuce or carrots had to be, say, chopped and placed in a bowl -- that's another step you don't have to deal with later. Making the healthier option the one that's also the most immediately gratifying is a means to the better end.

Props for making pizza one of the menu'd items, though. You probably discovered something I did in the past -- a proper caloric portion of stuff like that isn't very filling. So, you're still hungry, and the most immediately available form of food is... more pizza. Of course it's gonna get devoured. Similar happens with booze and dehydration. A 600 calorie meal at McDonalds, for example, consists of a McChicken sandwich and small fries. One gets hungry in like 3 hours again after that. But pizza's awesome and plentiful veggies aid with the filling feeling while being very low calorie.

maninblack

Postby maninblack » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:58 pm UTC

Milestone. I've lost more than twelve pounds since I visited the doctor.

Twelve down forty to go.

This is big tho' because it means that I didn't gain weight over Christmas. Three parties each complete with big meals and plenty of time for grazing before and afterwards. I didn't count calories those days, but I also didn't binge.

I will say that this is getting easier. We had frozen pizza for dinner on Sunday, and I stuck to the five pieces I counted for.

Knowing that you all are here helps a lot, thanks :D .

maninblack

Re: MIB's thread for tracking stuffs.

Postby maninblack » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:51 pm UTC

*bump*

So, I've decided that I want to run more frequently. Last summer I kinda started half assed irregular running (it was a lot of running-jogging-waking -panting-jogging-walking-panting). I have set my sights on a 5k race on May fifth. If my calendar maths are correct that gives me just over eight weeks to prepare. Couch to 5k is a nine week plan, and I'm comfortable skipping the first week of training (is that the right decision?). I ran just a little more than a mile this Tuesday, and essentially froze.

I have good shoes; I like my Vibrams. I have a reflective vest and a pair of reflective ankle bracelets (I do like to run at night). I ordered an armband for my fone so I can track my running with gps. I think I'm going to use endomundo as one of my friend uses that also, and I bought it for $.25 when google play had a promotion going. I'm going shopping for tights this weekend so hopefully I won't freeze while running.

I guess I'm looking for suggestions, tips and tricks.

What should I be aware of as I start training for a 5k?
Is there equipment that you all might suggest that I've missed?
Is there anything I've missed completely?

Thanks in advance.

philsov

Postby philsov » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:27 pm UTC

I'm comfortable skipping the first week of training (is that the right decision?)

Given your timeline, that's probably the best course of action. It might come back to bite you midtraining, but you can deal with that if it ever occurs.

I'm going shopping for tights this weekend so hopefully I won't freeze while running.

My problem with cold running has always been my extremities; shorts are great but I NEED gloves and a beanie/headband, at least for the first 10 minutes. Then I get warm enough to ditch them somewhere (and pick them back up on my way back).

What should I be aware of as I start training for a 5k?

The program is too.... soft in my opinion. You can do stuff on tues/thurs provided its a little lighter in either pace or duration than the workout on either side of it. Past that -- pace really really matters. "Jog" is too nondescript of a term for me. I've seen people who jog slower than their normal walking pace. A 5K in 30 minutes is a very doable and worthwhile goal, but spatially referencing things should also be a boon. On race day, a 10 minute mile should fall in line with everything else, so when you do those ~10 minute jogs, you'll want to also ensure they're about a mile (if not more than a mile) in distance. It would suck to realize on race day that you've learned to jog at the pace of, say, a 12 minute mile -- because that would require the endurance for 37-ish minutes of activity, which you can't quite do yet.

If, at any point midjog, that you feel you need to walk and take a breather -- don't. Count down from 30 seconds and then slow down. You can push yourself a little more than you realize.

Good luck :D

maninblack

Postby maninblack » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:48 am UTC

philsov wrote:
maninblack wrote:I'm going shopping for tights this weekend so hopefully I won't freeze while running.

My problem with cold running has always been my extremities; shorts are great but I NEED gloves and a beanie/headband, at least for the first 10 minutes. Then I get warm enough to ditch them somewhere (and pick them back up on my way back).

If your location is accurate, then you don't really know what cold is like. :-P Last Tuesday I was running with a wind chill of 17*F. Tonight, in tights and a hoodie, I was quite comfortable (36*F).

The first day of the truncated couch to 5k treated me well. I made 1.97 miles in 22:32 according to endomundo. I felt very good while I was out, but felt nauseous after I stopped. This wasn't particularly surprising since I was basically running with dinner in my stomach.

T-56 days.

Edit: C25K work out #2 2.08 miles in 22:36. I added more than a tenth of a mile to my distance simply by pushing myself during the last two "jog" intervals. It felt great. I'm looking forward to tomorrow, when I will get to do it again.

More: C25K work out #3 2.05 miles in 22:47. My pace was a just a tiny bit slower today; I think that's because I'm not a morning person, and I started this work out before I'm normally out of bed. I was yawning quite a bit during the warm up.

maninblack

Postby maninblack » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

T-48 Days.

Yesterday was W3D1 : 2.06 mi in 23:04.

My pace was essentially the same as my previous workouts even though the walk jog split was different than last weeks workouts. Three reasons for this: 1) I actually walked during the 5 minute warm up walk (the stats above count the time and distance for this warm up), 2) I added another hill to my route, and 3) I was afraid to push it too hard during the jogging intervals.

Me thinks I'll need to change the way that I have the intervals programmed in my phone so that I'll know to push it during the last bit of each jogging interval; that won't be hard to do. I'm feeling better everyday. I'm looking forward to each run, and actually thinking that I should do something on the off days (as suggested by philsov).

:-D

maninblack

Postby maninblack » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:44 pm UTC

Wednesday, 03/20/2013 W3D2: 2.08 23:59
Friday, 03/22/2013 W3D3: 2.07 23:04

Sunday, 03/24/2013 W4D1: 2.62 26:59

That. Felt. Awesome. I'm impressed with how much I've improved so far, and how much better I feel after running. I'm glad I get to track my running with gps. I find that motivating, and I've got the social aspect/accountability of it as well.

My arms are also getting stronger. I've been doing push ups nearly everyday. I did a set of 30 for the first time this weekend. I had been doing sets of 20 for a while, and I realized that I could do more if I chose to. I'm reminded of a quote I think I saw on a T-shirt somewhere, but I can't find it on the webs now. It was something like:

The weaker the body the more it commands. The stronger the body the more it obeys.

Regardless, I'm becoming more fit, and my body is obeying more often.

maninblack

Postby maninblack » Wed May 08, 2013 12:43 am UTC

I completed C25K. I ran my first 5k race on Sunday and crushed it.

I started in the middle of the pack so that people who were faster than me would be out in front of me. Thinking that anyone that wanted to be in front of the pack would be faster than me, but I was way wrong about that... I had some traffic to deal with initially, but all the people in front of me motivated me to pass them. Predator mode. Srsly.

My official time was 24:12. That was my first 5k since high school, and that was nearly three minutes faster than my goal (27:00).

Now, what's next? Well... there's another race. Shocking, I know. Thing is it's on June 8, and I'm not sure if I want to do another 5k or if I want to jump up in distance right away...thing is the only longer distance for this particular race is 7 miles...

I'm going to do my best to get there. I'm going to stick to my three days per week running schedule. Sunday, Wednesday, Friday. Which gives me 13 workouts before race day (assuming I'll be resting on June 7).

My last training run was 3.6 mi, so I'm going to assume I'd be able to do that distance again and up the distance when I run tmrw.

.... My plan as it stands....

Date Distance (mi)
5/08/2013 4
5/10/2013 4.5
5/12/2013 5
5/15/2013 5
5/17/2013 5.5
5/19/2013 5.5
5/22/2013 6
5/24/2013 6
5/26/2013 6.5
5/29/2013 6.5
5/31/2013 7
6/02/2013 7
6/05/2013 7

Thoughts?

Don't bother telling me I can't I won't listen.

philsov

Postby philsov » Wed May 08, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

My official time was 24:12, and I already have new goals

~

Can't comment on the plan and pacing, but it's sound enough that you should go for it. If you get impeded, you get impeded. No point to do it prematurely. Keep up the proactivity :D

infernovia

Postby infernovia » Fri May 10, 2013 1:41 pm UTC

You might want to vary it up. It helps to have shorter runs that you do at a higher speed. Otherwise distance progression looks good. I would really advise against running the full distance 3 days before the race though. If you can do 7 once with good form, you should save your energy to do it again.

And congratulations on your 5k. You pretty much crushed my progression, so I gotta step it up. :P

maninblack

Postby maninblack » Tue May 14, 2013 5:30 pm UTC

Thanks.

I talked to a friend who has done this specific 7 mile race and a couple of half marathons. He said that the first time he did this 7 mile race he did roughly the same thing. ... He was prepared to do a 5k until deciding to do the 7 mile run about a month before.

His suggestion was to do a short, medium, and long run each week, and only add a mile per week. So his suggestion was roughly:

5/08/2013 3 (Complete)
5/10/2013 4 (Complete)
5/12/2013 5 (Complete)
5/15/2013 3
5/17/2013 4
5/19/2013 6
5/22/2013 3
5/24/2013 4
5/26/2013 7
5/29/2013 3
5/31/2013 5
6/02/2013 7
6/05/2013 3

Clearly that first week is now behind us, and I've stuck to this plan so far. I did the four miles on a treadmill... I hate treadmills, and I managed the 5 miles on Sunday in just under 48 minutes. It felt good. It was definitely a challenge, but also achievable. I'll stick with this plan for the time being, and aim for a 10 minute mile pace for my long runs.

Thanks again.

infernovia

Postby infernovia » Wed May 15, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

Yeah, that's the standard progression, good luck. :)

maninblack

Postby maninblack » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:50 am UTC

So it's been like 6 weeks since I've been on the fora. I got a new job I won't use the fora there for now at least, and at my previous job is where I use to spend my time on here. .... Anyway... ... Running... ... yeah...

My plan was:
5/08/2013 3
5/10/2013 4
5/12/2013 5
5/15/2013 3
5/17/2013 4
5/19/2013 6
5/22/2013 3
5/24/2013 4
5/26/2013 7
5/29/2013 3
5/31/2013 5
6/02/2013 7
6/05/2013 3

and for the most part I stuck to it.

What I actually did was
5/08/2013 3
5/10/2013 4
5/12/2013 5
5/15/2013 3
5/17/2013 4
5/19/2013 6
5/22/2013 3
5/24/2013 4
5/26/2013 7
5/29/2013 3
5/31/2013 4
6/02/2013 8
6/05/2013 3

On June 8th I ran the seven mile race in 56:35. That's an 8:05 pace for seven consecutive miles. I was more than a little jacked by that result. So, I decided to continue upping my distances until something gives out. Idk if it'll be my body or my schedule that gives out first, but we'll see.

... So since then I've continued running three times a week. Three miles on Wednesday, four miles on Friday, and a "long" run on Sunday...
On Sunday the 15th I ran 10 miles in 1:38:20 which is right in line with my training pace.... My training pace is usually under but close to 10 minutes per mile.

I'm looking at a half marathon being my next new distance... if not my next race. I might do a 5k or 10K before I do the half marathon, but those distances I know I can do. ...

And... in a related note, I hit my initial goal for my weight... nearly four years ago I weight 315 lbs, and I set 225 pounds as my goal weight. ... I now weigh less than 225 lbs. In December at my physical I weighed 252 pounds, and the doctor suggest I weigh less than 200 pounds, .... so I'm (just) over half way to that goal.

:-)

Return to “Fit Club”