Just To Be The Man Who Jogged 1000 Miles

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Just To Be The Man Who Jogged 1000 Miles

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

… to fall down at your door.

No, seriously. I plan to fall down at a lot of doors this year. That’s my resolution. That’s really just an extension of the MAIN resolution, though, which is to jog a thousand miles.

No, seriously.

Seriously. Stop laughing.

Grr.

Anyways, over the past year I’ve gone from being able to chug my way through one mile in about 9min 30sec to just under 8min 0sec (and two years ago, I went from 11min 45sec to about 9min 30sec). I’ve also added 5 kilometer runs into my routine, which is slightly under three miles per run. Those went from 32min to just above 29min, and that’s a pretty comfortable pace for me (closer to 40min if I do my route that leads up Waterman’s Hill, which gets very steep and requires a rest at the top). The upshot of this all is, with 365 days in a year, if I ran my three mile route every day, that would be...

… tappa tappa tappa...

1095 miles.

Now, I won’t be doing it EVERY day. Rest days will figure into this, especially at the beginning, but I can find about 45 minutes in my schedule each day for this. On days where weather is not permitting (like active snow), I figure 45 minutes at a fast walk on the treadmill works out to about the same distance (my treadmill can’t really handle a proper jog).

I’ve got a spreadsheet where I enter in my daily totals. It ALSO tells me how many miles I have to go for the rest of the year, AND the average remaining, IE, what I would have to jog each day in order to pull it off. During the summer I definitely anticipate being able to move up to 4 or 5 miles, which will pick up some of the inevitable winter slack, and next year I’ll be running my ass off on the treadmill all December to finish out the year in style.

But I figure this is both a) a huge goal, and B) one that is specific enough to be attainable. It’s got nice, big, round numbers. I like numbers. It’s something that seems daunting now, but I’ve learned over the last year that I LIKE to run. My wife has supported me in this, going so far as to actually buy me better shorts for running, letting me buy running SHOES, and $15 socks just for running. SOCKS, people. This is big.

I can also count on her to jab me with a stick and say “Did you go for your run? Hmmm?”

I’ve got some other resolutions, but I’m still sort of cementing those. This is the main one. This covers a LOT of bases.

So, there ya go! Happy New Year!

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Re: Just To Be The Man Who Jogged 1000 Miles

Postby philsov » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

5k is 3.1 miles :D

The math may be in your favor!

Best of luck MJ. When I first started cross country in high school I could barely do a mile without walking. Within 6 months I could do 3 miles without walking at about a 9 minute mile pace. Granted, I was a teenager back then, and ran about 6 days a week, but it's something you should be able to knock out in a similar fashion. I didn't do rest days -- just light and heavy days. Light days were tues/thurs with reduced mileage and/or pace.

With any luck the mileage will be la inear increase starting now into next year (weather and time permitting). 6 miles by next October (e.g.) is quite attainable.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

Awesome! Sounds like a very good goal.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

So far, it's 8 times in 14 days. In my defense, I have an excellent excuse for some of those. Last night, for instance, I swam for three hours, AFTER working out. Kind of dumb, really.

BUT it's been two weeks, and I haven't given up! Really, I'm amazed.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:15 am UTC

Increased my nightly jog from three to FOUR miles.

Ow.

Return to “Fit Club”