Awesome Teacher Quotes

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Re: Awesome Teacher Quotes

Postby Monika » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:31 pm UTC

nightbird wrote:My literature professor:

"So it follows that the poetic function of language is a result of the projection of the principle of equivalence from the axis of selection to the axis of combination."

*blank stares from the students*

Professor: "Well, that's what people sound like after years of reading critical theory."

Holy macaroni, how long did he practice for that?
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people e.g. Ragna needs these items and Frances needs money for food

nightbird

Postby nightbird » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:30 pm UTC

Monika wrote:
nightbird wrote:My literature professor:

"So it follows that the poetic function of language is a result of the projection of the principle of equivalence from the axis of selection to the axis of combination."

*blank stares from the students*

Professor: "Well, that's what people sound like after years of reading critical theory."

Holy macaroni, how long did he practice for that?

Well, she was in her mid-forties then and had probably read and lectured about Jacobson for the past fifteen years, so...
“Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom.”

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:56 pm UTC

Monika wrote:Why did she write Chicken Owl on the board?

To get to the other side.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:57 pm UTC

Daddy Long Legs is a book from the 1920's about an orphan who is being send to college by an anonymous benefactor and falls in love with a really rich older guy that pushes on the edge of the 1/2 + 7 rule that is related to one of the other students. The twist in the book is that the love interest and the benefactor are the same person. It sounds really nice and romantic, until you think about it too much. I think my teacher put it best:

Its the 1900's; time to get super creepy now.

Return to “School”