Im in charge of a Uni magazine

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

MelP

Im in charge of a Uni magazine

Postby MelP » Mon May 13, 2013 3:15 am UTC

Hello there, as the topic title says, im in charge of a Polytechnical University magazine, in México. Im studying communications and i might have ideas on how i want the magazine but "how do i reach these kids?". What would you guys like to see in your college mag? What are some nono's ? Tia.

Krealr

Re: Im in charge of a Uni magazine

Postby Krealr » Mon May 13, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

The community that is on these forums may have different interests from the community at your university I would recommend asking this question of actual students at your university.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu May 16, 2013 5:17 am UTC

MelP wrote:What are some nono's ?
Poor grammar and punctuation?

elasto

Postby elasto » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:19 am UTC

Im

im

Im

i

i

i

Is this Uni magazine to be delivered via SMS?

(...Sorry, I know this is an old post, but the incongruity made me smile :) )

Dopefish

Postby Dopefish » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:57 am UTC

To be fair, in Mexico, so it's probably spanish that's relevant.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

Also, if elasto admits that not-formally-standard capitalization and punctuation are acceptable for text messages, why are they not for a casual forum post?

But yeah, you're right about English not even being the likely language this magazine will even be in. I am amused by the incongruity of elasto's helpful proofreading of the OP, combined with apparently missing the rather relevant information about what country it's in.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

elasto

Postby elasto » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:08 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Also, if elasto admits that not-formally-standard capitalization and punctuation are acceptable for text messages, why are they not for a casual forum post?

But yeah, you're right about English not even being the likely language this magazine will even be in. I am amused by the incongruity of elasto's helpful proofreading of the OP, combined with apparently missing the rather relevant information about what country it's in.

I am amused by the incongruity of your lack of humor at what was obviously gentle and kindhearted ribbing ^^

The incongruity, in case you missed it is because he's studying communications :) Even these days, and even on forum posts, not capitalizing 'I' is extremely unusual, that's all :)

'Incongruous' does not equate to 'unacceptable'. Incongruous that anyone would think that! :) People can post in Wingbats for all I care :)

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:36 pm UTC

PSA: Do not post in Wingbats.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

elasto wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:Also, if elasto admits that not-formally-standard capitalization and punctuation are acceptable for text messages, why are they not for a casual forum post?

I am amused by the incongruity of your lack of humor at what was obviously gentle and kindhearted ribbing ^^

The incongruity, in case you missed it is because he's studying communications :) Even these days, and even on forum posts, not capitalizing 'I' is extremely unusual, that's all :)

'Incongruous' does not equate to 'unacceptable'. Incongruous that anyone would think that! :) People can post in Wingbats for all I care :)
I replied because your post had been reported by someone else. So I was evidently not alone in seeing it other than as "obviously gentle and kindhearted ribbing".
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Return to “School”