Anybody familiar with Georgia State's CS PhD program?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

benefluence

Anybody familiar with Georgia State's CS PhD program?

Postby benefluence » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:14 am UTC

I'm one year into a Computer Science PhD program, and my advisor just got a job at Georgia State University. I'm invited to follow him. I'm undecided, and one of my biggest apprehensions is that I would be committing to living and working in a place I know essentially nothing about. If anyone familiar with Georgia State, its CS department, or living in the GSU university area of Atlanta, could offer their impressions/opinions, positive or negative, I would appreciate it immensely. Thanks.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Anybody familiar with Georgia State's CS PhD program?

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:21 am UTC

Well, where are you now? Quality of life is a huge factor in determining how successful a PhD is going to be; is Atlanta somewhere you could envision yourself living? Is GSU a step up or down in terms of prestige from your current program?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

benefluence

Postby benefluence » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:09 am UTC

Thanks for the response. I'm aware of most of the concerns to consider, and xkcd certainly isn't the only place I'm asking for advice. The change of institutions is at worst lateral, probably a moderate upgrade.

Is Atlanta somewhere I can envision living? see "a place I know essentially nothing about." I've never been there, nor do I have any friends or family who live there or have spent any significant period of time there, which is why I'm asking about it. I know it's hot and humid, which I'm not crazy about, but I lived through undergrad in Phoenix. I know it's a big city, which can be both good and bad. I know I'll be hundreds of miles from any friends or family, which a pretty big 'con'. Other than that, I really have little basis from which to answer your question.

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

I used to live in Atlanta, somewhat near where Georgia State is. I'm not sure how to tell you if you'll like it there, but I did. I'm from New England, so the south was a bit of a change, but not terrible. I'm a city person and it worked for me. I didn't know anyone moving down there but I made enough friends to be happy. Most were coworkers or their friends, but some others as well. A lot of the people I hung out with in Atlanta were Georgia Tech folks, as that school is right there in midtown also.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:55 pm UTC

Yeah I think you'll have to answer the 'can I envision myself living there' question for yourself. If you can't deal with going somewhere you've never been, then moving somewhere you've never been may be a bad situation for you.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:31 am UTC

I know it is probably a little late...

but back in the spring, one of my CS professors liked to include advice such as, "if you are going to grad school, move up at least a tier, or at least change schools".

One thing he advised was that GSU was going to overcome GA Tech as the premier CS university in the state within the next few years, as more money was going to flow into their CS department.

Return to “School”