Engineering and Science

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Engineering and Science

Postby tychonaut » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:57 am UTC

Hey all, I know this question has been probably done to death but I've looked and haven't found this specifically yet. I'm in college dual majoring in physics and mechanical engineering, the thing is I want to drop one and just focus everything on the other but I have no idea how to decide.

Jobwise; I'm varied, I'd love to work for NASA or spaceX working on thrusters or shuttle designs, or robotic assistance. For physics equally so I'd love to do research in to astrophysics, particularily with jet particle physics and radiation, and I'm busting my butt to get to do research with the one astrophysicist on my campus. Haha, it's a pipe dream that's probably been said a million times but being an astronaut is a dream of mine though I'm trying to focus on the most likely scenarios.

Extracurricular; I've worked on hybrid rockets, I'm building a hybrid motor, plans for a hall effect thruster, and I'm on a University team for NASA's hybrid rocket competition. I'm also like I said working to do astrophysics research and doing independent study with books I've bought myself and papers I've read online, I'm hoping to do my honors thesis on a topic in astrophysics.

Enjoyment; I love learning how to make things through engineering really, I may be mechanical but I think if I had thought about it earlier in university I would've been electrical. I like making things, taking things apart, and working on equipment in my spare time. For physics I love theory and reading papers, findings, and just the thrill of learning something new. I'm the type of guy who gets excited pointing at stars and explaining to my girlfriend that Alpheratz (my favorite point in the sky) is a frickin' binary star system.

The thing is I'd love to be able to be an engineer, but I'm afraid if I don't get that ABED certified degree ever engineering firm or position will just snub their nose at the physics major (though of course a certain webcomic writer proved that differently :P). At the same time I don't want to give up all the great classes I have to look forward to in physics, and I'd love to pursue a doctorate and work on astrophysics research.

So what should I do to remedy the divide between engineering and science?

Re: Engineering and Science

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:56 pm UTC

Well, honestly, it does sound to me like the double major is a very good fit for your interests. Is there a particular reason why you feel that you need to drop one or the other? Workload?

Return to “School”