Lost in China's publicly available data

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

wyctorya

Lost in China's publicly available data

Postby wyctorya » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:45 pm UTC

In researching a final paper I'm working on for a class exploring Chinese (PRC) economy and its history, perhaps the only robust, analyzable datasets I've found are of the Chinese Bureau of Statistics. I've been trying to find any economic data made publicly available from any large companies in China, so that I can track any statistically meaningful trends; even data of neighbouring countries (especially Laos) would be of help.

Unfortunately, after trying to squeeze anything I could from my uni's e-research system and consulting the help team, the closest I've gotten was the Hoover's Company Profiles database, which I soon found was severely lacking any in-depth data (apart from the bare basics: name, date of foundation..).

Does anyone here know of any resources I could use or any places I could consult? Reading Hanzi is not a particular problem -- I don't have a lot of experience with actually searching in Hanzi and so, predictably, I have failed to find anything that way as well. What I'm having in mind is something like quarterly/yearly reports spanning at least a couple years; spending, budgets, revenue, that sort of thing.

Any help would be much appreciated. I know trying to wrangle good hard statistical data is kind of a problem in China, but there has to be something I could use considering how big China actually is.

yanfan388

Re: Lost in China's publicly available data

Postby yanfan388 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:07 am UTC

The annual China Statistical Yearbook (China Statistics Press) might help if you can find an online source. Also maybe the World Bank publications? Good luck.

Return to “School”