italian and german universities

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

alessandro95

italian and german universities

Postby alessandro95 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:40 pm UTC

I'm currently doing my last year of high school (in Italy) and I've decided I'll study maths at the university, but I'm considering to study abroad, more specifically in Germany. The language or the cost of the university isn't a problem, and I think German universities are, generally speaking, better than Italian ones, but I'd like to hear the opinion of someone who knows more than me about it.
Also, I'd like to study pure maths and become a researcher, but at the moment doing research in Italy isn't a good choice at all so I think I'll move abroad anyway after the university.
Is there anyone who studied maths in Germany and can tell me something about his experience? Are German universities really better than Italian ones?

Thanks in advance!
Alessandro
The primary reason Bourbaki stopped writing books was the realization that Lang was one single person.

RollingHead

Re: italian and german universities

Postby RollingHead » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:41 pm UTC

I've never been to Germany so this answer probably won't be much help, but I did a year of physics in Italy and found it pretty terrible in terms of teaching quality, organisation, and all that, and I got so fed up I changed field completely. But this is just an anecdote and your experience will probably vary a lot depending on which Italian uni you're considering (may I ask where you are?)
In general, I'd say if you can afford and manage to study abroad you should go for it, at least for the experience of travel, doing new things and being able to make a proper comparison between Italy and somewhere new.
(Also, if anyone in Italy is wondering about the biomedical field I hear Germany is way ahead)

alessandro95

Postby alessandro95 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:22 am UTC

The maths faculty in my city is a private, catholic university, so I won't study there, the universities I was considering are those in Pavia, Padua and Milan, where did you study in Italy?
I have actually already studied one year abroad (in china though) which is what gave me the idea to go abroad for the university too!
The primary reason Bourbaki stopped writing books was the realization that Lang was one single person.

YpsilonOmega

Postby YpsilonOmega » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:37 am UTC

Is there any particular field in which you would like to do research after your studies? It might be beneficial to choose a university with some experts in that field and a strong math department in general.

I studied physics in Hamburg, but since I also took many maths courses, I know that they also have very good mathematicians there, in particular in algebra and differential geometry. There are certainly also other good places, but I can't comment on those much because I don't really know most of the people.
There's plenty of room at the bottom. Richard Feynman

alessandro95

Postby alessandro95 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:14 am UTC

I don't know yet in which field exactly I'd like to do research, but I was interested in the TU at Darmstadt because it was suggested to me by some german friends and I've heard very positive opinions about this university

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:52 pm UTC

alessandro95 wrote:The maths faculty in my city is a private, catholic university, so I won't study there, the universities I was considering are those in Pavia, Padua and Milan, where did you study in Italy?
I have actually already studied one year abroad (in china though) which is what gave me the idea to go abroad for the university too!

Bologna, glad you're not considering it.

Return to “School”