So I just toured the MIT campus...

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Girl-With-A-Math-Fetish

So I just toured the MIT campus...

Postby Girl-With-A-Math-Fetish » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:40 am UTC

It was awesome!
And after talking to the people there, I'm awfully confused. Half of me is saying there's no doubt I'll get in with my level of nerdiness and the stuff I do in my spare time. The other half of me is telling me I have absolutely no chance what with a 3.4 GPA and very few formal things I've done. Either way, it was one hell of a moment to stand in front of the main dome thing, with the idea in mind... standing among where all the greats once stood. And I started spinning around, and then I fell onto the grass... that was completely saturated from all the rainwater I didn't know until then fell the previous day. But I digress. I really enjoyed the Strata building (it looks so awesome) and I really wish that the Green building had the Tetris thing going on (I remember seeing a video about that). Didn't Randall go to MIT? I'm sure half of XKCDians also go/went to MIT. How was it for you guys? xD
I'm sexually attracted to the International Space Station. You have now had your daily dose of Internet.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Re: So I just toured the MIT campus...

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:19 am UTC

Randy went to school somewhere in Virginia. Some members of this forum went to MIT but the vast majority did not.

I grew up near MIT but never actually took a tour. (On the other hand, I somehow managed to get sent on something like six tours of Tufts in the course of my primary and secondary education.) I like the area; lived in the Cambridgeport neighborhood for some fraction of a year in my early 20s, and worked on one or the other side of the river several times when I was temping though somehow never at MIT itself (my agency must not have had a contract with them). There used to be great, affordable places to live down the Red Line from campus but that was 15-20 years ago.

If you're worried about not getting in, let me suggest applying to other schools close by, if any fit what you're looking for. Just getting in the same general area will give you the opportunity to attend events at MIT that are open to the public, to collaborate with MIT students, perhaps to get involved with some projects that are led by MIT but unrestricted in terms of who can be involved.

Then again, MIT is not the be-all, end-all of schools. It has a certain atmosphere, a certain personality as a school, that works for some people and not for others, completely unrelated to their intelligence. For an example of what I mean, compare the style of MIT's introduction to programming MOOC on edX to another school's offering. You can find the lectures on youtube I'm sure; compare MIT to Harvard to Stanford to whatever other school you find. Maybe you've already done this, and in any case the specific professor is more influential than the college, but there are patterns in instruction styles.

I'm rambling because I have a glass of gin that is now decidedly half-empty, according to any rational chronology. My point: "All the greats" did not go to MIT. Some of them dropped out from far less prestigious schools. You have every reason to hope to get in, but if you do not, which may be a statistical likelihood (these things can be difficult to predict), know that there are smart people and engaging projects and incredible opportunities literally everywhere; try not to get too caught up in the applications "game" is my advice.

Oh, did you see the turkey? I hope it's still there. It has kept at least one campus officer employed and thus contributes to the stability of our economy. Turkey for president.

P.S. Do you like writing? There is a book called "Introductory Calculus for Infants" that I purchased for my son about a year ago. Alas, it's a joke book. Very little thought given to infant pedagogy. Actually aimed at toddlers or pre-schoolers, if at any children. If you like writing, and thinking about thinking and the development of thinking in children, I'm sure you could make a much better attempt. Very young children are capable of intuitively grasping the concept of limits. I would buy your book. Keep this in mind. The glass is now empty.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:38 pm UTC

I misread the title of this thread as "So I just tortured the MIT campus..."
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

Girl-With-A-Math-Fetish

Postby Girl-With-A-Math-Fetish » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:11 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote: You have every reason to hope to get in, but if you do not, which may be a statistical likelihood (these things can be difficult to predict), know that there are smart people and engaging projects and incredible opportunities literally everywhere; try not to get too caught up in the applications "game" is my advice.

Oh, did you see the turkey? I hope it's still there. It has kept at least one campus officer employed and thus contributes to the stability of our economy. Turkey for president.

P.S. Do you like writing? There is a book called "Introductory Calculus for Infants" that I purchased for my son about a year ago. Alas, it's a joke book. Very little thought given to infant pedagogy. Actually aimed at toddlers or pre-schoolers, if at any children. If you like writing, and thinking about thinking and the development of thinking in children, I'm sure you could make a much better attempt. Very young children are capable of intuitively grasping the concept of limits. I would buy your book. Keep this in mind. The glass is now empty.

MIT might be the scenic route from point A to point B, but wherever I go, I'll get from point A to point B anyways. Besides, if I don't get in now, I'll certainly get in after undergrad at a different school.

No, I didn't see the Turkey. It might still be there. I didn't know such a thing existed. xD

I love writing. I do in fact plan to write such. I plan to write books explaining complex math topics to people of all ages, as well as textbooks in the way math was meant to be taught. Sans much of the romance, xkcd pretty much embodies my personality (plus a furry aspect of which I might add to that Randall does not understand the furry fandom). This includes my tendency for using academic humor, self referentiality, and such. I also can explain difficult topics in simple words if need be. So even if I write a textbook, I'd write it in a casual sense. Too much formality will make the reader uninterested. Who ever said that textbooks couldn't be hilarious as well as informative was dead wrong, haha! Oddly enough, the MIT admissions website is formatted like this. It's written very casually. I find that humorous. One would think that one of the most, if not the most prestigious colleges in the nation would be very formal with everything, when in reality, they seem goofy. xD
I'm sexually attracted to the International Space Station. You have now had your daily dose of Internet.

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:15 am UTC

Girl-With-A-Math-Fetish wrote:Randall does not understand the furry fandom
Out of curiosity, in what way?
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics? What phonotactics?) · ze or they · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...
flicky1991 wrote:In both cases the quote is "I'm being quoted too much!"

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:05 pm UTC

An observation: Nobody outside the furry fandom understands the furry fandom. This works with or without sarcasm and can be applied to other fandoms than furry.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Girl-With-A-Math-Fetish

Postby Girl-With-A-Math-Fetish » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:12 am UTC

Dthen I just had the most random picture in my head. xD *insert King-Kong style scene on the dome building*

Randall portrays the furry fandom as a fetish. It isn't a fetish. There's the furry fandom, and the furry fetish. One can be a furry without having a furry fetish. Lots of furries do have a furry fetish (I don't), but even those that do frown upon the 1% that actually like animals. Most aren't.

Return to “School”