Changing modern education into old style

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Daedaleus

Changing modern education into old style

Postby Daedaleus » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:10 am UTC

Moved to the School subforum where it belongs.

How would it affect the education? Not the stuff we learn but how we "learn" it. I took my father's schoolwork and compared it to my schoolwork and his was short and straightforward, also requiring him to do the work. Mine was just underline it or just explain whereas it did not help at all on the learning. I believe that the teachers are not at fault but the state is for producing lazy works. the modern textbooks do not really help me but only hinder my learning.

Pfhorrest

Re: What if 0119, "Changing modern education into old style"

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:36 am UTC

…is there a new what-if up now that's not showing for me? I see 118 with a message saying "Note: Because I'm traveling, there is no article this week. Normal updates resume next week!" and /119/ is 404.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

stoppedcaring

Postby stoppedcaring » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:51 am UTC

No, Daedalus is just posting in the wrong forum.

This subforum is for What-Ifs that Randal has done and posted. Not for random questions. Your question would likely be better served in one of the other subforums like Language. Or you can send the question directly to Randal and see if he runs it.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:03 am UTC

This isn't a question Randall could answer with science and math, so it wouldn't make a good What-If.
It looks like Daedaleus hasn't read What-If much!

Why do some moved threads leave behind a "moved" marker in the original forum and others don't?
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Euphonium

Re: Changing modern education into old style

Postby Euphonium » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:14 am UTC

Daedaleus wrote:Moved to the School subforum where it belongs.

How would it affect the education? Not the stuff we learn but how we "learn" it. I took my father's schoolwork and compared it to my schoolwork and his was short and straightforward, also requiring him to do the work. Mine was just underline it or just explain whereas it did not help at all on the learning. I believe that the teachers are not at fault but the state is for producing lazy works. the modern textbooks do not really help me but only hinder my learning.

What do you think "learning" consists of, exactly, and why do you think that being asked to explain things interferes with that?

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Re: Changing modern education into old style

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:46 pm UTC

Also, be aware that education is not consistent across all school systems, or even between teachers. There is no "old way" and no "new way". There might be trends and common practices, but trying to define a difference between generations would be difficult. Also, every child learns differently, or at least there are many categories of learning that children fall into. Just because you found your father's old school work to be clear does not mean everyone, of either generation, will, or did.

That said, often the newer methods have some sort of science behind them that at least indicate the method works better than other, older methods, for a large percentage of children.

Return to “School”