Going from Humanities Undergrad to a Graduate Science

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

untidyscrawls

Going from Humanities Undergrad to a Graduate Science

Postby untidyscrawls » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:18 pm UTC

Hey there!

I recently graduated from college with a humanities degree (more specifically, a BA in International Relations), but the more I think about it the more I realize that I really should have done a science undergrad; I suppose the only reason I didn't is because of the really terrible experience I had with the sciences when I was in high school. Does anyone know if it would be possible to do a master's degree in a science (preferably Physics or Astronomy) even though I've got no science background? I assume it would be very difficult, but I'm willing to work for it; I just want to know whether or not it's feasible and if anyone has any tips.

Thanks a lot!

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Re: Going from Humanities Undergrad to a Graduate Science

Postby PAstrychef » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:36 pm UTC

You would have to contact a program you were interested in and see what kind of science coursework they would expect a successful candidate to have. It would likely require at least a year of classes, but again, it would depend on the particular program.
Also, what would you be doing with this degree? You might consider persuing this interest on the side as you use the one you already have to get a job. There may well be places for people with your background in the fields you are interested in, even if they are not directly involved with research.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

LaserGuy

Re: Going from Humanities Undergrad to a Graduate Science

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:34 pm UTC

untidyscrawls wrote:Hey there!

I recently graduated from college with a humanities degree (more specifically, a BA in International Relations), but the more I think about it the more I realize that I really should have done a science undergrad; I suppose the only reason I didn't is because of the really terrible experience I had with the sciences when I was in high school. Does anyone know if it would be possible to do a master's degree in a science (preferably Physics or Astronomy) even though I've got no science background? I assume it would be very difficult, but I'm willing to work for it; I just want to know whether or not it's feasible and if anyone has any tips.

Thanks a lot!

I think if you could demonstrate that you have the required knowledge (a good score on the Physics GRE, for example), you could probably get accepted. You will certainly need to do an awful lot of self-study to be able to catch up.

Probably the best thing to do would be to contact a few graduate programs directly and ask specifically what they would require.

Return to “School”