What do you think about CLEP and AP tests?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

jewish_scientist

What do you think about CLEP and AP tests?

Postby jewish_scientist » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:24 pm UTC

I am going to go to a college next semester, but in the mean time I want to study for and take a CLEP of AP test. The problem is this, I don't know what I want to do. It is basically a three way tie between computer science, physics, and biology. I want to take a CLEP or AP test that will teach me things needed for all three field. That way, when I do decide what I want to do, I already have credits I need. Looking at the CLEP and AP tests, there only one that would apply to all three fields is Statistics. Maybe I am wrong? Maybe Calculus is used in biology more than I think. I really just do not know what I will need in each field. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

Newt

Re: What do you think about CLEP and AP tests?

Postby Newt » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:06 am UTC

There are a lot of subfields of biology that use minimal mathematics (although I expect that they all should should require at least some understanding of single variable calculus). Mathematical maturity in general transfers well across a variety of fields, so investing some time into calc would probably be worthwhile.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:47 am UTC

Why do just one?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:11 pm UTC

I am going to be teaching it to myself, so I did not want to 'bite off more than i could chew'.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:18 pm UTC

It's been a very long time since I took AP bio, but my recollection was that it involved very little math, stats or calc. I wouldn't be surprised if it's insanely complicated now. Ask a professor!

Some advice about what classes to take is to figure out why you want to take them. If you plan on going on in the STEM fields, it could be handy to have the math, unless you go on in biology, in which case stats is probably the most complicated math you'll ever even need to get briefly exposed to. If you're going the other way, towards comp sci or physics, you probably won't need any biology unless you want to do something interdisciplinary (or you know, just dig biology, which you should).

If you're trying to double dip, so to speak, math and comp sci and physics are probably going to build on very similar skill sets?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Return to “School”