Forum Migration

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Re: Forum Migration

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:47 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:I kinda prefer a fast forum over having a post number.
Do you mean post count? Because no one was talking about post count, and post IDs are kinda important.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:02 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:I kinda prefer a fast forum over having a post number.
Do you mean post count? Because no one was talking about post count, and post IDs are kinda important.

Then I misunderstood. My knowledge of both PHP and databases is limited. I thought it was to generate this number:
Spoiler:
Untitled.png
and only to place that number on the screen, not the post order or anything else. Cause the post order is, of course, important.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:39 pm UTC

Thesh was talking about finding page by post ID, which happens to also involve getting a post number but would need to be done without that.

(I'm not using that theme, so I didn't know displaying the number of a post within its thread was even a thing.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:52 pm UTC

davean wrote:So ... when you load a thread, phpbb is now selecting a list of every post id in said thread, ordered. So, whats the solution? Well, making sure it all just fits in memory works wonders. I have no idea why they programmed it like that though.

Aww, that was the second part of my second hypothesis.

Thesh wrote:My guess is that they wanted an efficient way to find page number by post id, without having to store the relative post number in the database (which would have to be updated every time a post is deleted), since MySQL doesn't have a row_number function like PostgreSQL, SQL Server, or Oracle.

Note, that even that's not a good excuse if that's the case since you can just do a count where the post id is less than or equal to that value and it's in a particular thread.

I vaguely remember something in CFT about how a lot of programming people don't know how to write efficient queries. Is that a good excuse? :roll:

[edit]
Neil_Boekend wrote:and only to place that number on the screen

It would indeed be that number, which can then be divided by posts-per-page to find out which page of a thread has to be served. Wait, that's kind of what gmalivuk said too.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:30 pm UTC

So does the search index rebuild fix everyones problems? And give you a pony?

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:35 pm UTC

Yes. Searched "pony". Returned an image in the fourth result (now fifth). Thanks.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:39 pm UTC

I can't talk for everyone, but the both new post listings (new posts and unread posts) and egosearch look right to me. A couple simple searches also seemed to work properly. Thanks for upgrade and fixing things!

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:44 pm UTC

Thank you davean!!! :D
any pronouns
----
Discord for Forum Games posters
(Please let me know if the link doesn't work)

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:00 pm UTC

Huzzah for davean, fixer of forums.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:03 pm UTC

I've finally found my ego again!

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:14 pm UTC

Thanks for the fix!

Possible problem: when I just searched through 'my posts', the number of results was about a quarter of what it used to be. Flicky also claimed to have had around 60k posts (including forum games) before Chocolate Chips, and that figure's now around 23k. Still, given that searching with keywords doesn't seem to have an issue, I think it's just a minor problem.
The Seven Wonders of the World:
To see
To hear
To touch
To taste
To feel
To laugh
And to love

HES

Postby HES » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:18 pm UTC

We're back in business! Thanks davean!
He/Him/His Image

speising

Postby speising » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:22 pm UTC

I'd be interested in seeing a graph of useage stats before, during, and after the searchless time...

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:25 pm UTC

davean wrote:So does the search index rebuild fix everyones problems? And give you a pony?

It fixes the problem of not being able to search, but I haven't seen anything about a pony yet. Maybe one of my roommates signed for the delivery?
---

(he/him/his)

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:35 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:It fixes the problem of not being able to search, but I haven't seen anything about a pony yet. Maybe one of my roommates signed for the delivery?

Perhaps you overlooked it because its made of diamond.

If someone wanted to collect the suggested styles it would speed up that stage of the process, otherwise I'll reread the thread for them in a bit.

Deva

Postby Deva » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:32 pm UTC

speising wrote:I'd be interested in seeing a graph of useage stats before, during, and after the searchless time...

Fora Activity Migration.png
Fora Activity Migration.png (6.83 KiB) Viewed 51725 times

Settings: This month. Read full log. Purple line: Approximate start of Moderator Madness. Red Line: Approximate start of Forum Migration. No data with searching re-enabled. (Happened hours ago.) Suffered unexpected downtime, also. Indicates no such event there, strangely.

Fora Activity Year.png
Fora Activity Year.png (6.36 KiB) Viewed 51725 times

Settings: This year. Read full log. Same line meanings.

Source
Usual disclaimer: Does not understand activity's calculation or its units. May or may not be accurate.

For davean:

hendusoone wrote:Thanks, davean! It's close, at least. But there's still the right-side avatars/info (Allan Style - SUBSILVER is still a prosilver-based style). Would it be possible to try out the actual prosilver2 style? Though, I think it might break some plugins/add-ons. Not sure if we're using any of those.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/subsilver2/

Posted a userstyle here also. Assumes those to be different. Mentioned it as a precaution.

_infina_ wrote:davean, I have a couple of styles for possible inclusion. 1 is a prosilver_left sort of thing that I customised specifically for the xkcd fora, https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/xkcd_left/, and the other, which will make some people happy, is subsilver2 updated for 3.1.x, https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/subsilver2/

Note: Error on the first link. Awaits validation still, apparently.

Giant Speck wrote:As for board style suggestions, it doesn't seem like many have been updated for phpBB 3.1.8, which I'm assuming to which we have updated.

I kind of like this one, but I think it'd require a bit of twerking.

keozen wrote:If we can have some sort of subsilver_left back then I'm a happy man.

Might exist under a different name (including one above). Tried searching board styles. Spat out an error. Appears to be a recurring theme for phpBB.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:49 pm UTC

Deva wrote:Settings: This month. Read full log. Purple line: Approximate start of Moderator Madness. Red Line: Approximate start of Forum Migration. No data with searching re-enabled. (Happened hours ago.) Suffered unexpected downtime, also. Indicates no such event there, strangely.
But the sharp up-tick definitely coincides with the (delayed) April 1st comic of Garden.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:11 am UTC

The search is not 100%. For example, I posted in the "energy currency?" thread is SB, and it doesn't show up on my egosearch. Everything I posted in before and while search was disabled seems to show up.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

Deva

Postby Deva » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:53 am UTC

Noticed an anomaly. Remarked about "pony" appearing fourth, now fifth. Double-checked out of neuroticism. Failed to come up. Tried "search". Remained absent. Worked with "searched". Saw it under Search User's Posts too. Chalked it up to caching or something.

Attempted it again now. Resisted efforts, even with variations (with quotes, without quotes, and with quotes and a period). Listed new entries for "search", however. Monkeyed around. Gave different results depending on log-in status.

Returned 2522 results for pony while logged in. Showed davean's initial post about the search index rebuild at the top. Logged out. Matched 2470 results for pony. Displayed three posts higher than davean's initial post, including the one in question.

Presumes different totals due to searchable locations. Cannot explain missing hits while logged in.

Edit1: 2522 and 2470 immediately afterwards. Will check again later. Does not display this or the graphs post under Search User's Posts, though. Sounds similar to Thesh's issue.
Edit2: Matched anomaly. Same numbers otherwise. Could have been correct initially.
Edit3: ~34 hour edit. Same numbers.
Last edited by Deva on Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:17 am UTC

When I search for pony, I get 4090 matches, but it doesn't include all of the posts from this thread.

screenshot1.png

screenshot2.png
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:04 am UTC

Well now I noticed a thing with egosearch - this thread is not there, unless I change the "Display posts from previous" option to something else than "All results" from the bottom of the egosearch results.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:54 am UTC

Thank you, davean!

Can we make donations to the forum administration? Is that a thing here? Do we do that?
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

Grop

Postby Grop » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:59 pm UTC

\o/

Ubik wrote:Well now I noticed a thing with egosearch - this thread is not there, unless I change the "Display posts from previous" option to something else than "All results" from the bottom of the egosearch results.

I see this thread in my egosearch.

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:27 pm UTC

This is just a hunch, but that might be because you had posted to this thread before the reindexing happened.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:04 pm UTC

I'm happy. :)

Thanks, davean!
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:49 pm UTC

Salvation!
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:08 pm UTC

The "Hugs!" thread is not appearing in my egosearch. Just when it's active again, too. :?
any pronouns
----
Discord for Forum Games posters
(Please let me know if the link doesn't work)

New User

Postby New User » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:32 am UTC

I don't see that this has already been noted.

Some of the thread icons aren't displaying properly, to indicate that I have participated in the thread. I think describing this is much simpler with a picture.

fora_icon_error.png

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:48 pm UTC

If, like me, you rely on favicons to find your way around tabs and bookmarks, a quick 'n' dirty manual repair for the missing favicon (for Chrome at least) is to right-click anywhere on the page, select 'inspect element', then in the element inspector screen, right click the line of HTML that says

> <head>...</head>

Then select 'Edit as HTML'. An editable box should show up. Under the line that says

<title>xkcd - Index page (or whatever page you've bookmark'd/tabb'd) </title>

Paste in the following code:

Code: Select all

<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="http://xkcd.com/favicon.ico" sizes="16x16 24x24 32x32 48x48">

The favicon should then cache automatically, hopefully showing up on every xkcd forum page, as well as the bookmarks.

Note: you can do this for any page without a cached favicon, and you can change the image link in the code to a favicon of your choice.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:58 pm UTC

The great and almighty davean has fixed the things!
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

Meowers

Postby Meowers » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:38 pm UTC

I like the new search feature.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:37 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:...a quick 'n' dirty manual repair for the missing favicon...

Until you mentioned this fix, I didn't actually notice, but (here on Firefox), there's a FavIcon now featuring (again, I presume - it appears I'm just generally unobservant), after the recent noticeable "No special icon here" icon that I had been seeing during the height of the forum migration hiccups (although, as before, only after someone mentioned it...)

TL;DR; it's working again for me, without needing the 'fix' (on the forums.xkcd.com domain URI, for reference) but I've no idea even when it came back.

(Still, the 'fix' idea is noted, to add to the many and various handy things that might be useful in the future.)

Mikemk

Postby Mikemk » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:52 am UTC

My egosearch isn't working again. Specifically, viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114885 isn't showing up
Computer specs:
Spoiler:
Intel i5-750 (OC 3.33 GHz)
8GB (OC 1333 MHz) (2GB HDD cache)
NVIDIA GT 740 (OC 1149 MHz) 4GB (OC 841 MHz)
480GB SSD (120 HDD cache)
2x2TB HDD (not RAID)
Windows 10
Linux Mint in VM

New User

Postby New User » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:38 am UTC

This very thread isn't appearing in my egosearch.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:01 pm UTC

Yeah, the default egosearch doesn't show threads I've first posted in since the transition. Setting it to threads from the last year does, but misses older (but still active) threads.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:10 pm UTC

Which means default egosearch is going to become increasingly useless as time goes on.
---

(he/him/his)

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:34 pm UTC

FWIW, it seems to be working for me...

No thread that I know about is absent from my Egosearch. That includes 1669 back to 1659 in the Comics thread, at least, when I have a quick look at the up-to-two pages of Egoworthy threads I have so far accumulated, which demonstrably covers the whole time of the Migration onwards. At least for thread-start, if not the moment I decided to start contributing and thus made it Egorelevant in the first place.

(PPE: Erm. Scratch that bit I've struck out. I am 99% sure that 1169's thread, i.e. today's, had showed up on the Egolist, ever since I contributed my own so-far-unremarked contribution to the conversation, but when I just now double-double-check in an adjacent tab to this very composition page it only shows up if I use a time period cut-off option on it. :? And find that there's definitely a (newer) new message since I last visited, mere moments ago. However, I can still find every other other thread in the default "All results" display, as well as in any suitably long "from previous <timescale>" option. Go figure...)

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:43 pm UTC

New and brilliant posts wot I dun don't appear to be showing in my post history.

Lesser, more frivolous posts, such as this one, also don't appear to appear.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:18 pm UTC

But please don't turn searching off if it's not necessary to do so when fixing the current problems.
Because the unread posts search is working fine. :D (which I like a lot more than egosearch)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:39 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:New and brilliant posts wot I dun don't appear to be showing in my post history.

Lesser, more frivolous posts, such as this one, also don't appear to appear.

By my reckon, that was posted at the 2:45pm. It is now midnight:38, and that post is showing as your most recent.

I do not know if you have posted since then, but I'll check again in the morning.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Return to “School”