Forum Migration

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

K-R

Re: Forum Migration

Postby K-R » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:44 pm UTC

My favicon disappeared, so the tab just shows the Firefox default blank icon.

99% sure that's more recent than the migration, but it still seems awful coincidental.

Mikemk

Postby Mikemk » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:46 pm UTC

As it turns out, my egosearch is not working. It does not show threads I started.
Computer specs:
Spoiler:
Intel i5-750 (OC 3.33 GHz)
8GB (OC 1333 MHz) (2GB HDD cache)
NVIDIA GT 740 (OC 1149 MHz) 4GB (OC 841 MHz)
480GB SSD (120 HDD cache)
2x2TB HDD (not RAID)
Windows 10
Linux Mint in VM

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:15 pm UTC

davean, I have a couple of styles for possible inclusion. 1 is a prosilver_left sort of thing that I customised specifically for the xkcd fora, https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/xkcd_left/, and the other, which will make some people happy, is subsilver2 updated for 3.1.x, https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/subsilver2/
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Mikemk

Postby Mikemk » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:47 pm UTC

_infina_ wrote:davean, I have a couple of styles for possible inclusion. 1 is a prosilver_left sort of thing that I customised specifically for the xkcd fora, https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/xkcd_left/, and the other, which will make some people happy, is subsilver2 updated for 3.1.x, https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/subsilver2/

first is invalid
Computer specs:
Spoiler:
2x2TB HDD (not RAID)
Windows 10
Linux Mint in VM

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:15 pm UTC

Mikemk wrote:
_infina_ wrote:davean, I have a couple of styles for possible inclusion. 1 is a prosilver_left sort of thing that I customised specifically for the xkcd fora, https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/xkcd_left/, and the other, which will make some people happy, is subsilver2 updated for 3.1.x, https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/subsilver2/

first is invalid

It isn't invalid, it just hasn't been validated...I forgot to check as a non-logged in viewer. I am the one who published it, so I can see it waiting for validation.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:10 pm UTC

I've been playing around, again, with the various egosearch links... first a long description of what I get, for poor davean or any other conscripted debugger to perhaps mull over:
Spoiler:
Once I start going past the main egosearch link of Quick Links and Your Posts (which seems to give the same as "All results", by descending Post Time, in the following summary; i.e. exactly as incorrect), the URL always seems to display the URL for the search-configuration one pressed "Go" from(not a problem!), and this is normally of the form: search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&author_id=606005

The "st=0" is of course "st=###" for "### days", or 30 days per month or 365 days per year. And that's likely just my own author_id, but then you can try to replicate my account's listings. (I don't think that's privileged information, without my own login, but I can't find another valid number that works, so make that "author=Soupspoon" if it doesn't work cross-account.) The other settings are the defaults as you'd expect, until I change the ordering one, later on.

Anyway - The following is a summary of what I actually get, for each listing, with the threads as given (first showing, and only the first showing, of each thread is URLed in case you need to check the reference).

All results ('0 days'): (1 match, Page 1 of 1), 1 thread= 1660: "Captain Speaking"

1 day: (3 matches, Page 1 of 1), 3 threads= xkcd Skyscraper; Forum Migration; Are people required to burp?

7 days: (1 match, Page 1 of 1), 1 thread=Are people required to burp?

2 weeks: (1 match, Page 1 of 1), 1 thread=Forum Migration

1 month: (9 matches, Page 1 of 1), 9 threads=xkcd Skyscraper; Forum Migration; What-If 0148: "Eat the Sun"; 1660: "Captain Speaking"; Are people required to burp?; British EU referendum in June; 1659: Tire Swing; It has Endginned. (Mod Madness 2016); 1595: "30 Days Hath September"

3 months: (9 matches, Page 1 of 1), 9 threads=xkcd Skyscraper; Forum Migration; What-If 0148: "Eat the Sun"; 1660: "Captain Speaking"; 1657: "Insanity"; British EU referendum in June; 1659: Tire Swing; It has Endginned. (Mod Madness 2016); 1595: "30 Days Hath September"

6 months: (9 matches, Page 1 of 1), 9 threads=xkcd Skyscraper; Forum Migration; What-If 0148: "Eat the Sun"; 1660: "Captain Speaking"; Are people required to burp?; British EU referendum in June; 1659: Tire Swing; It has Endginned. (Mod Madness 2016); 1595: "30 Days Hath September"

1 year: (9 matches, Page 1 of 1), 9 threads=xkcd Skyscraper; Forum Migration; What-If 0148: "Eat the Sun"; 1660: "Captain Speaking"; Are people required to burp?; British EU referendum in June; 1659: Tire Swing; It has Endginned. (Mod Madness 2016); 1595: "30 Days Hath September"

(NB: The number of 'matches' it says matches the listed 'matches' that it actually gives, in all those. But note how "3 months" drops one thread and introduces another (heretofore ignored!) one.)

Changing to the ascending ("...sd=a...") version of "1 Year" it says "Search found 9 matches • Page 0 of 1" and lists least recent 50 matches (only the latter bolded value being in any way expected or 'correct'...)

Ascending version of "7 days" says "Search found 1 match • Page 0 of 1" and lists eight threads (the first four of which were at the end of the prior match), which are: 1595: "30 Days Hath September"; 1659: Tire Swing; British EU referendum in June; Are people required to burp?; 1660: "Captain Speaking"; 1661: "Podium"; xkcd Skyscraper; Forum Migration (This looks correct, also, insofar as the thread-list, if still not the "Search found" line.)

Ascending version of "2 weeks" says "Search found 1 match • Page 0 of 1" and lists sixteen threads, which looks both correct and useful. (I might actually make a bookmark of that, and just scroll to the bottom as necessary. It would save making from five to seven mouse clicks on the forum links/selection boxes/buttons themselves to get get to any 'possibly helpful' listing.)

(NB2: "Forum Migration" and "xkcd Skyscraper" threads actually received updates and switching such that they may have switched places between any particular pair of tests.)

And now, for anyone who didn't really need to know all that, the TL;DR;...
Perhaps anybody/everybody with Egosearch headaches might want to try bookmarking/favouriting/whatever a link like:
http://forums.xkcd.com/search.php?st=14&sk=t&sd=a&sr=topics&author_id=606005
...(replacing the author_id with the one you can get for yourself via accessing your own Egosearch, and maybe also the "st=###" number to best suit your own first-post-to-a-thread frequency). It might give you you something that works...

Strange, though, that the Ascending versions of the list are more accurate (in results, if not in "Search found..." details) than the nominally 'normal' Descending versions.
Last edited by Soupspoon on Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:23 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:And now, for anyone who didn't really need to know all that, the TL;DR;...
Perhaps anybody/everybody with Egosearch headaches might want to try bookmarking/favouriting/whatever a link like:
http://forums.xkcd.com/search.php?st=14&sk=t&sd=a&sr=topics&author_id=606005
...(replacing the author_id with the one you can get for yourself via accessing your own Egosearch, and maybe also the "st=###" number to best suit your own first-post-to-a-thread frequency). It might give you you something that works...
Every variation gives me something useful the first time I try it. The problem is that upon refreshing the page it only gives the number of results that "Search found" tells you it got.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:06 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:The problem is that upon refreshing the page it only gives the number of results that "Search found" tells you it got.

For me, that only applies to the Descending-ordered version. 'Correct' in the count, but is counting only the truncated list.

I'm refreshing this Ascending-ordered version (and also shift-Refreshing, to make sure it's not the buffered version being re-served to me, given that very little is actually changing in those few seconds between each attempt) and the "Search found" is wrong (always "Search found 1 match • Page 0 of 1", anomalously) but the actual listed results are (or appears to be!) correct to reality.

If you've got different results... well, I'm not the person who can help with that, it seems.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:13 pm UTC

That is curious, because when I click on the url you posted, it just shows "Tonic Water".
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:30 pm UTC

Not that it helps anyone, then, but to demonstrate my own 'reality':
Spoiler:
XKCDForums.PNG

"Curiouser and curiouser," said Alice...

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:23 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:The problem is that upon refreshing the page it only gives the number of results that "Search found" tells you it got.

For me, that only applies to the Descending-ordered version. 'Correct' in the count, but is counting only the truncated list.

I'm refreshing this Ascending-ordered version (and also shift-Refreshing, to make sure it's not the buffered version being re-served to me, given that very little is actually changing in those few seconds between each attempt) and the "Search found" is wrong (always "Search found 1 match • Page 0 of 1", anomalously) but the actual listed results are (or appears to be!) correct to reality.

If you've got different results... well, I'm not the person who can help with that, it seems.

A quick check shows that my ascending list appears both plausible and stable, but refuses to show more than the first page of results - where the most recent (at the bottom of the page) is already 4 years out of date - and claims that there are only 3 results to show on page 1 of 0...

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:16 am UTC

Some more data on searching:
• Ordinary search (keywords, no author, display results as posts) is really, really slow, but seems to work. (A search I tried today took about 17 minutes.)
• Searching with no author and display as: topics gives an SQL error:

Code: Select all

General Error
SQL ERROR [ postgres ]

ERROR: for SELECT DISTINCT, ORDER BY expressions must appear in select list LINE 6: ORDER BY t.topic_last_post_time DESC ^ []

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
• Searches that include an author and display as: posts seem to be working correctly (including from user profiles/post count link)
• Searches that include an author and display as: topics have the problems already mentioned.

Some things I've found while attempting to read phpBB's source code and also while searching the internet:
Spoiler:
• It looks like it makes a separate query to the database to look for the number of search results than to actually get the results[1]; and also it caches search results[2]; and also it stores the number of search results in the cache.
So what it looks like is happening in egosearch/search for topics by author: the first time anyone searches for a particular query, it asks for the number of results, and for some reason gets back an incorrect (small) number, and then it asks for the actual results but the code that displays those results doesn't check the number of results to return, so it shows all of them despite the number of results being wrong. The next search uses the cache, but the code there does check the number of results that should be there, so it only shows a few results.

• It looks like there are multiple different searching backends, which use different code for searching, which means that changing the backend could fix things (or it could makes things worse; I have no way of testing it, and zero experience administering/supporting/etc. forums; or perhaps you already tried that and I didn't know). In particular, it looks like it's currently using the PostgreSQL Fulltext Search (since using quotes in a search term gives the message "Searching by exact phrase is not supported on this board.", which from what I can tell only applies to that search backend, unless you're using some extension for searching...), which it looks like lets the database do the indexing. Perhaps there's some problem with that? (Is the database software the right version (>= 8.3 according to that page)?)
too afraid someone will take my advice and it'll break the forums and it'll all be my fault... always afraid of things like that...
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she(?)(?(?)(?))(?(?(?))(?))(?) · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...
chridd (on Discord) wrote:
Dummy wrote:Sorry You're Gay Dads
SYG'D
marionic (on Discord) wrote:sleep in grave

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:02 pm UTC

people need to be on the left. They're on the right. I can't tell who's talking and why anymore. Please? New style?
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Mikemk

Postby Mikemk » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:08 pm UTC

mosc wrote:people need to be on the left. They're on the right. I can't tell who's talking and why anymore. Please? New style?

It's pretty close to how it's always been
Computer specs:
Spoiler:
2x2TB HDD (not RAID)
Windows 10
Linux Mint in VM

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:19 pm UTC

mosc wrote:people need to be on the left. They're on the right. I can't tell who's talking and why anymore. Please? New style?

You might say they are on the . . right side! 8-)
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:48 pm UTC

Mikemk wrote:

It's pretty close to how it's always been
Previously, there was a prosilver_left style that put the avatars, usernames, etc. on the left side, and also subsilver2 put all that information on the left side as well. Only the default style had them on the right side.
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she(?)(?(?)(?))(?(?(?))(?))(?) · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...
chridd (on Discord) wrote:
Dummy wrote:Sorry You're Gay Dads
SYG'D
marionic (on Discord) wrote:sleep in grave

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:57 pm UTC

I might not be on the right side of history but...

ok take a minute to fully groan I understand...

I like my information on the left to preface who's talking BEFORE I read the post.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Mikemk

Postby Mikemk » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:54 pm UTC

mosc wrote:I might not be on the right side of history but...

ok take a minute to fully groan I understand...

I like my information on the left to preface who's talking BEFORE I read the post.

It does have the username before the post
Computer specs:
Spoiler:
2x2TB HDD (not RAID)
Windows 10
Linux Mint in VM

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:31 pm UTC

And people have posted user-side solutions in this thread.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Mikemk

Postby Mikemk » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:39 pm UTC

I keep getting sql errors requiring that I refresh constantly until it goes through
Computer specs:
Spoiler:
2x2TB HDD (not RAID)
Windows 10
Linux Mint in VM

Mikemk

Postby Mikemk » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:40 pm UTC

Also, the forum is really slow
Computer specs:
Spoiler:
2x2TB HDD (not RAID)
Windows 10
Linux Mint in VM

Mikemk

Postby Mikemk » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:40 pm UTC

Also, the forum is really slow. I'm talking minutes per page.
Computer specs:
Spoiler:
2x2TB HDD (not RAID)
Windows 10
Linux Mint in VM

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:56 pm UTC

And now searches have completely gone. "Sorry but you are not permitted to use the search system." Presumably intentional while it's being fixed?
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)
----
NiteSciFi, sci-fi forum that needs more members

Mikemk

Postby Mikemk » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:56 pm UTC

Seems to be working now, but egosearch is gone
Computer specs:
Spoiler:
2x2TB HDD (not RAID)
Windows 10
Linux Mint in VM

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:02 pm UTC

I came here just now to say that, too (getting the "Sorry but you are not permitted..." from my temporary search bookmark, and Quick Links having lost everything but the "Members" and "The team" elements)... Dare I suggest it's being fixed (without us pesky regular users trying to use the half-deconstructed mid-fix version)?

And I've just realised I need to change forum Time so that it's not giving me UTC, ideally. Now that I'm on BST in 'real life'.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:15 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:And I've just realised I need to change forum Time so that it's not giving me UTC, ideally. Now that I'm on BST in 'real life'.

Setting it to London makes it adjust automatically now.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
----

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:50 pm UTC

Unfortunately I can't have it say the time zone in brackets anymore, because it wraps around on the main subforum pages and looks ugly.

It's worth it for auto-updating DST, though. :)
← approximately how gay I am.
"a nebulous cloud of different combinations of styling bodily features"
"on either side of a wrought iron fence made of tigers"

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:52 pm UTC

Why has the 'view new posts' option suddenly disappeared from the upper right hand side??
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:53 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:And now searches have completely gone. "Sorry but you are not permitted to use the search system." Presumably intentional while it's being fixed?
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
----

Mikemk

Postby Mikemk » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:31 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Why has the 'view new posts' option suddenly disappeared from the upper right hand side??

It didn't, it disappeared from the upper left-hand side.
Computer specs:
Spoiler:
2x2TB HDD (not RAID)
Windows 10
Linux Mint in VM

addams

Postby addams » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:31 pm UTC

The forum migration worked beautifully for me.
I very much enjoyed the Hamburger Button.

The Hamburger Button offered so many temptations at each click.
For me, all those good things have changed. Is it, just, me?

The Hamburger offers me, "members" and "teams" only.
Is it possible for me to have the luxury items, again?

(sniff-sniff) Is this a Test?
Only those able to program their own luxury items can have them?
(gee.) I'll not have AnyThing to play with.

Somehow;
When Code was in the air and everyone was learning it;
I didn't. ... I think, I miss Ego-Search the most.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:52 pm UTC

See above. Assumes it temporary. Experienced issues with searches earlier. Received SQL errors recently too. Presumes them related. Please wait for a solution.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:03 am UTC

Now I can't view the egosearch at all. It's telling me I don't have sufficient permissions to use the search function.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:15 am UTC

As for board style suggestions, it doesn't seem like many have been updated for phpBB 3.1.8, which I'm assuming to which we have updated.

I kind of like this one, but I think it'd require a bit of twerking.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:12 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:As for board style suggestions, it doesn't seem like many have been updated for phpBB 3.1.8, which I'm assuming to which we have updated.

I kind of like this one, but I think it'd require a bit of twerking.

I agree with the style, with a minor bit of twerking...I cannot agree with the twerking, however...
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:47 am UTC

I think a word filter made its way back into the system. I didn't actually write that.

Aiwendil

Postby Aiwendil » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:32 pm UTC

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, with all this talk of searching - but I can't seem to see any search link. Has it disappeared, or am I being quite obtuse?

Also,

Umm, egosearch is really easy now. I think.

Below your username is the number of posts you've made.
e.g.

davean
Site Ninja

That "2477" is now a hyperlink. Click on it, and you get all of davean's posts.

Has this changed? Because that is definitely not a hyperlink for me.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:40 pm UTC

Yes, search has effectively disappeared for now, presumably while davean fixes it (as people have already said a few times). And yes, the post number used to be a hyperlink, but as it was a link to a search, it's also gone.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Wildcard
Candlestick!

Postby Wildcard » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:27 pm UTC

Ho hum.
There's no such thing as a funny sig.

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:45 pm UTC

Yeah, I can't use the "View Unread Posts" button at the moment. Also, the button's not there.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

Return to “School”