Forum Migration

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Re: Forum Migration

Postby Lazar » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:32 pm UTC

cphite wrote:New posts is on the right side of the page.. at least, it is on the AllanStyle-SUBSILVER theme...

Oh, cool. I didn't think to look over there.
Exit the vampires' castle.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:43 pm UTC

Our gloriously high-resolution image...

...is now cut off by the banner title (screen maxed after desktop/tablet breakpoints), so it looks like we're a low-budget European WiFi provider called Echocham if you're on Prosilver, and Echochambe if you're on anti-skub.

I suggest replacing it with my own image!

...as well as setting the image container's width a little wider.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:51 pm UTC

There's also the fact that my first post in this thread shows up on my posting history, but the one I just made (elevate your eyes upwards by roughly 21°) does not show up there, and neither does this one.

It's almost as if the post was coming from inside the house.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:55 pm UTC

All in all, this was the best Terminator Sparta ever.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:00 am UTC

Here's an actual issue that I'd like to report. I just tried using the superscript tag and it didn't work. I used the button (above this 'ere textbox) and it looks like it should do in forum-markup form, but doesn't 'super' the script in preview/when actually posted.

Just checking all those described by the buttons (you don't have the [table] tag, so I can't use that to make it look better), and the ones that don't seem to be optimal/operational are:

[bibliography]Bibliography[/bibliography] seems not to work (but I don't know the format).

[imath]Imath[/imath] and [math]Math[/math] tags may work (but I don't know their formats, so it appears I'm probably just giving them literals).

Spoiler tag works, but still doesn't accept the [spoiler=This is how the author explains the spoiler] usual format I'm used to[/spoiler].

Subscript isn't currently Subscripting.

Superscript isn't currently Superscripting.

(And, yet, the Subscript and Superscript above appear in the page source as "<sub>Subscript</sub> isn't currently Subscripting.<br /><sup>Superscript</sup>", which should work... I haven't changed my browser settings, so maybe I need to check what .css rules are now being applied, to see if the tag is being negated?)

(Edit: And, to add to my "8 threads in my 'Your Posts' list" datum point, it still shows only 8 threads, and doesn't show any indication that I've posted in the [url="http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=113698"]only just posted in[/url] thread. So even new additions... aren't.)
Last edited by Soupspoon on Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Mikemk

Postby Mikemk » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:03 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:Our gloriously high-resolution image...

...is now cut off by the banner title (screen maxed after desktop/tablet breakpoints), so it looks like we're a low-budget European WiFi provider called Echocham if you're on Prosilver, and Echochambe if you're on anti-skub.

I suggest replacing it with my own image!

...as well as setting the image container's width a little wider.

Hey, at least you have the image. I get this one:
Computer specs:
Spoiler:
Intel i5-750 (OC 3.33 GHz)
8GB (OC 1333 MHz) (2GB HDD cache)
NVIDIA GT 740 (OC 1149 MHz) 4GB (OC 841 MHz)
480GB SSD (120 HDD cache)
2x2TB HDD (not RAID)
Windows 10
Linux Mint in VM

Mikemk

Postby Mikemk » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:05 am UTC

Also, the website is reminiscent of late 2009, though I suppose it's newer than the old 2006 website.
Computer specs:
Spoiler:
2x2TB HDD (not RAID)
Windows 10
Linux Mint in VM

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:16 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:[bibliography]Bibliography[/bibliography] seems not to work (but I don't know the format).

Bibliography and Cite have been complicated since their creation... I can never remember how to use them properly. [edit] I found the post that explains them, and they seem to be working fine.

Soupspoon wrote:[imath]Imath[/imath] and [math]Math[/math] tags may work (but I don't know their formats, so it appears I'm probably just giving them literals).

These haven't worked for some time, since JSMath got uninstalled from the server (because it was really slow). The buttons should probably be removed too, but this isn't a new issue related to the migration.

Soupspoon wrote:Spoiler tag works, but still doesn't accept the [spoiler=This is how the author explains the spoiler] usual format I'm used to[/spoiler].

This is more a feature request, than anything else...

Soupspoon wrote:Subscript isn't currently Subscripting.

Superscript isn't currently Superscripting.

This is, I think, the only problem with the formatting tags that is new with the forum migration. As you say, the text is coming out with <sup>/<sub> tags. The problem is in common.css, right up the top, there's:

Code: Select all

pretty much every element {
  font: inherit;
  vertical-align: baseline;
}
which is overriding the default styling for sup/sub, which (at least for Firefox) is:

sub {
  vertical-align: sub;
  font-size: smaller;
  line-height: normal;
}

sup {
  vertical-align: super;
  font-size: smaller;
  line-height: normal;
}

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:18 am UTC

I am absolutely thrilled that the fora software has been updated and would like to express my sincere appreciation for your work.

(i am hoping that those damned deleted post bugs will be fixed with this update, but i am still happy either way)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:27 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:[imath]Imath[/imath] and [math]Math[/math] tags may work (but I don't know their formats, so it appears I'm probably just giving them literals).
As phlip said, those haven't been functional for a long time now. What they used to do was math-ify things written between them in LaTeX. Personally I use TeX the World for that, which is client-side and does the same thing with everything between [; and ;]

So if I want to give superscripts and subscripts to someone else using the same plugin, I can just type something like [; x_0^1 ;]. I'm assuming it's the aforementioned "vertical-align: baseline;" thing that raises the whole thing up higher than it should be.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Mikemk

Postby Mikemk » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:31 am UTC

phlip wrote:

These haven't worked for some time, since JSMath got uninstalled from the server (because it was really slow). The buttons should probably be removed too, but this isn't a new issue related to the migration.

Why not just use a client-side rendering library, like what if does? Or, if that's too slow client-side, convert it to an svg when posting/editing, and display an svg in the appropriate place.

Test:
[math]\frac{\pi}{x^2}[/math]
wordsmore wordseven more words
Computer specs:
Spoiler:
2x2TB HDD (not RAID)
Windows 10
Linux Mint in VM

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:35 am UTC

Mikemk wrote:Why not just use a client-side rendering library, like what if does?

That's exactly what it did do (though it was a different library to the one what-if is using). Problem was, it was spread across like 20 separate JS files, and each one took a second or two to load (and were loaded in series). So it would take a good 30 seconds to load all of them, even on a speedy connection. And while it was loading, the page was completely locked up, you couldn't scroll or click on anything. (And it was worse on restricted platforms, like phones, that didn't cache the scripts well, and would have this lockup on every page that had math tags). So the whole plugin was canned.

[he/him/his]

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:11 am UTC

Most browsers these days support MathML (HTML5 <math> tags), unfortunately a quick google search didn't return results for a PhpBB plugin that will convert LaTeX to MathML and avoid the use of MathJax. There is probably one that allows you to use MathML directly, but that's worse than no math tags.

EDIT:
Although there is one that will convert LaTeX to images that is so out of date, I doubt it will work:

https://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/suppor ... er?lang=en
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:47 am UTC

The version on what-if is more advanced then what the forums used. People's computers were slower when this was a problem, and particularly it was a problem for people on slow computers then more then other people. It was fairly connection limited in its implementation and the what-if one is just better in that regard. Its still heavy. What-If's content is more limited then the forums, so it causes less issues with that then on the forums where the HTML for a page can be gigantic. The use of math on what-if is considered with performance in mind, unlike the forums where people use whatever math they want, for their specific post without an overall view of the final page.

That said I'm happy to try it again. Things have improved since it was a problem.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:08 am UTC

Since a lot of people are handling criticism, lemme handle one thing:

Thanks for having a sane mobile format. This site looks great on my smartphone now, and is quite usable.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:24 am UTC

Speaking of good changes: go into your User Control Panel and update your timezone information, pick your actual timezone from the list. Then you don't have to update it any more when DST changes. And it'll show your timezone correctly on posts, instead of claiming to be UTC. And it'll handle daylight savings properly on old posts (showing the time as daylight-savings if it was active when the post was made, not depending on whether it's daylight savings right now).

So... hooray for that.

[he/him/his]

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:25 am UTC

Firstly, thanks for the upgrade, davean!

Secondly:

phlip wrote:As another data point: the first time I went to "view your posts" (which was, incidentally, the first time I loaded the new forum - my bookmark goes to the "view your posts" page), it showed the full list, or at least what looks like the full list (though it still says "Search found 1 match • Page 1 of 1" up the top).

By chance, I still have that tab open.

Subsequent times loading the page, though, it only has one thread (for me, FaiD FT), which also happens to be the thread that was first in the list (ie it was the one that had the most recent last post).

I'm getting exactly the same thing.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:22 am UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Thanks for having a sane mobile format. This site looks great on my smartphone now, and is quite usable.

Yeah, excellent improvement on mobile. Thank you!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:26 am UTC

Link wrote:Here's a quick user style to fix the width. Use at your own risk, natch.

I added a few more things to this to make some other things more like before, because I get disproportionately annoyed by minor changes. Specifically it removes the last posted thread for each forum on the index page, makes the page number buttons smaller, changes the spacing of columns on forum pages, swaps the order of the breadcrumb and other links at the top, and uncovers the echochamber image. I can't guarantee I didn't carelessly break anything, though, or that it will work for anyone else.
Spoiler:

/* Remove the next two declarations to restore the last posted thread on index pages */
.lastsubject {
    display: none;
}

.lastsubject + br {
    display: none;
}

/* Remove the next declaration to restore the 'jump to page number' button */
.pagination li.page-jump {
    display: none !important;
}

div#wrap {
    max-width: 97% !important;
    width: 97% !important;
}

.row .pagination li a {
    background-color: #FFFFFF;
}

.pagination li a, .pagination li span {
    margin: 0 1px !important;
    padding: 0 2px !important;
    border-radius: 0px !important;
    min-width: 0px !important;
    width: auto;
    height: auto;
}

.pagination li.next a {
    background-position: -50px -1px;
}

.pagination li.previous a {
    background-position: -30px -1px;
}

.pagination li.next a:hover {
    background-position: -50px -21px;
}

.pagination li.previous a:hover {
    background-position: -30px -21px;
}

div.list-inner {
    width: auto !important;
    margin-right: 0px !important;
}

ul.topiclist dt {
    width: calc(50% + 45px) !important;
    margin-right: 0px !important;
}

dd.posts {
    width: 8% !important;
}

dd.views {
    width: 8% !important;
}

dd.lastpost {
    width: 25% !important;
}

div.navbar div.inner {
    display: flex;
    flex-direction: column;
}

ul#nav-main {
    order: 2;
    border-top: 1px solid #FFFFFF;
}

ul#nav-breadcrumbs {
    order: 1;
    border-top: none !important;
}

a#logo {
    width: 200px;
}

a#logo span.imageset {
    width: 100%
}

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:02 am UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Thanks for having a sane mobile format. This site looks great on my smartphone now, and is quite usable.

I don't know, I think I would prefer it if every time I visited the forum it nagged me to download a mobile app.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:08 am UTC

davean wrote:You can all suggest themes from https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styles-2 or create a custom one for this board. Or use the 'Allan Style - SUBSILVER' option.

Is there an official way you want these themes to be suggested or are suggestions here in this thread sufficient?
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:18 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:Is there an official way you want these themes to be suggested or are suggestions here in this thread sufficient?

Here is fine to collect preferences.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:25 am UTC

Thank you. Also, thank you for being open to suggestions.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:28 am UTC

I'm glad that global announcements like this one no longer default to random subforums, though it is a bit strange that they all now appear in the "School" subforum for me.

speising

Postby speising » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:35 am UTC

What i find strange is this inefficient layout (ipad, portrait mode):
image.jpg

While it looks pretty much like it used to in landscape mode.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:44 am UTC

I miss the cool blue look, but the fixed width narrow portrait style is so maddeningly awful.
And I guess the "Allan Style - SUBSILVER" theme is kinda like the old one in layout (except backwards in a few places).

And no avatar transparency anymore?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:11 am UTC

The increased usability on mobile devices is greatly appreciated. It also seems to run much faster.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

username5243

Postby username5243 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:02 am UTC

I was wondering why I couldn't get on yesterday. (Every time I tried, I got a 503 error message.) Now I know.
This is a signature, in case you didn't notice.

Current tokens: 66.562

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:09 pm UTC

If we can have some sort of subsilver_left back then I'm a happy man.

To be honest, I'm a happy man either way but I do miss my subsilver_left.

Good work no matter what Davean

Alder

Postby Alder » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:54 pm UTC

Mikemk wrote:
Felstaff wrote:Our gloriously high-resolution image...

I imagined Echocham (which is what I see now, wasn't there this morning) as Babycham, but more echo-y.
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:15 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
slinches wrote:Yes, thanks. There seem to be a few new features ... one of which is the ability to turn off all of the word filters.

.... They're gone.

All of them. All of the filters are gone.

Huh.

I'm....so very happy!

tomandlu

Postby tomandlu » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:45 pm UTC

My only gripe is that my avatar doesn't look at the posts anymore - now he looks like someone caught with their porn-stash open.
How can I think my way out of the problem when the problem is the way I think?

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:49 pm UTC

You could flip your picture.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:53 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:You could flip your picture.

Then he's not only caught red-handed but also hanging from the ceiling.

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:05 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:

Then he's not only caught red-handed but also hanging from the ceiling.

Yes.
I suppose that is true.

Not how I say my name

tomandlu

Postby tomandlu » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:33 pm UTC

But then he'd need to read all the messages back to front and would not be able to digest sugars.

(I did consider it, but it's a fairly iconic image imho - would you flip the mona lisa?)
How can I think my way out of the problem when the problem is the way I think?

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:40 pm UTC

I dunno, seemed fairly easy to me:
Spoiler:
flipped.jpg
flipped.jpg (9.06 KiB) Viewed 48156 times

Not how I say my name

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:34 pm UTC

Next to the echocham index button at the top, it used to link to the actual comic page, but it no longer does.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:37 pm UTC

It's gonna take a little while for me to get used to this but I think I like it. Good job. :)
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:25 pm UTC

My autologin isnt working.
Safari on iphone6
It worked before migration to stay logged in and other sites are still functioning in this manner so i dont think its a phone setting.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Return to “School”