Senior Yearbook Quotation

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Senior Yearbook Quotation

Postby Phi » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:32 am UTC

So, the time has come to pick my senior quotation, and I was thinking it'd be something xkcd~esque. Or maybe something wickedly funny that you heard the other day?

I just need ideas. Please? I know you guys are all kinds of crazy ass-awesome here, and i was hoping y'alls could help.

On the topic of ass-awesome, I do go to a public high school, where profanity may be spoken but not written. Ergo, nothing inappropriate ;(

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:54 am UTC

Have you ever had a relationship of any sort? If not, I suggest grabbing a line from an emo song that suggests that you have - when some socially-obsessed girl goes through the yearbook years down the line and sees you have a quote like "Goodbye my almost lover. </3", you'll make her head asplode in attempts at recollecting something that she can't possibly recall - or she'll invent something and then try to bring it up to you at the reunion in vague suggestions trying to find out what happened without directly asking you.

Long-term humor is the r0x.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Sorcyress

Postby Sorcyress » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:58 am UTC

How about just "Maybe wanting something does make it true"

"What time is it?" "Now" "That's a boring answer" "No it's not. It's the least boring answer imaginable."

~Sor

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:03 am UTC

In the same vein as my previous post, "less than slash three space colon apostrophe open parenthesis"
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:25 am UTC

"I hate quotations, tell me what you know" Ralph Waldo Emerson

In a less cynical view:

"If you die in Canada you die in real life!"

"You were once shoved headfirst through someone's vagina. Why are you acting so dignified" (This one works on many levels especially if someone says that it's too vulgar. "It's a too vulgar quote!" "See! You prove the quote's point entirely!")

I also like this comic but it may be too long for the space: http://xkcd.com/167/

"Life, is like a grapefruit. It's orangey-yellow and dimpled on the outside, wet and squidgy in the middle. It's got pips inside, too. Oh, and some people have half a one for breakfast." Ford Prefect in - Douglas Adams

Also like Bradbury: ""People ask me to predict the future, when all I want to do is prevent it. Better yet, build it. Predicting the future is much too easy, anyway. You look at the people around you, the street you stand on, the visible air you breathe, and predict more of the same. To hell with more. I want better.""
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

eristic
Mmm, superhero brains! Nom nom nom...

Postby eristic » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:08 am UTC

what about the, "we're adults now and we get to decide what that means." I always liked that one.
Clerria wrote:
eristic wrote:Do you speak Greek? ;)

'maybe'

Haikus are simple
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:57 am UTC

I'm guessing a "senior quotation" is something that goes alongside your name in your yearbook? Maybe?

"SPARTAAA!" will probably be overused.

rxninja

Postby rxninja » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:09 am UTC

"So long, and thanks for all the fish," is one of my favorite parting quotes.

I like some of the previous posts, though.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I miss a lot of people, too. Fortunately, ammo is cheap.

sophyturtle wrote:I think nudity is the solution for everything...

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:25 am UTC

I had a really bad quote that perfectly described me and all my friends made fun of me for it. They still do. But they agree it fits me perfectly.

"Some people tell me I laugh too much. I say to them: 'Ha! Ha! Ha!'"

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:49 am UTC

"Go fly a kite!"
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

Flying Betty

Re: Help: Senior Quotation?

Postby Flying Betty » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:20 pm UTC

"Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye and deny it." Garrison Keillor
That's what I should have used for mine but didn't.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:46 pm UTC

It doesn't matter, and no one will ever really care. I mean about your quote. People will CARE, just not about that.

Try to avoid song lyrics and movie quotes I guess?

eristic wrote:what about the, "we're adults now and we get to decide what that means." I always liked that one.

This man is a genius. Fucking genius.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

mjec

Postby mjec » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:02 pm UTC

Mine was Albert Camus: "Nobody realises just how much energy some people expend merely to be normal".

I like it.
For context: early-20s male born and living in Australia of UK [Norman]/USA [Western European Jewish] heritage. My blog.

My avatar isn't me, it's "Law Girl". I even did an xkcd ripoff about it one time. She's kind of like my version of nerd girl.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:51 pm UTC

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:55 pm UTC

space_raptor wrote:The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Methinks that character limits might defeat you here.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:59 pm UTC

I don't remember asking you a god-damn thing!
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

Anomie

Postby Anomie » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:02 pm UTC

Ours had to sum up who we were throughout school, so mine was "Hey, you, go sit in the corner".

If I could go back and do it again I'd choose a Godspeed You! Black Emperor quote or something.
They don't sleep on the beaches anymore.

Grlmm
Would like to buy a vowel

Postby Grlmm » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:49 pm UTC

"Remember Toaster-Man as I once was: Full of heat. Ladies."

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:38 pm UTC

The quote below as of 2007/09/27, or the lines on the sign in my avatar as of the same day.

Malsies

Postby Malsies » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:42 pm UTC

My favorite quote ever is, "Don't question authority; knock it down and beat the answers out of it with a stick."
I slice, I dice, and I fit comfortably into your pocket or glove-box!

(Order in the next ten minutes, and get a second for FREE!)

BVD

Postby BVD » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:41 pm UTC

I agree with eristic, the "Grownups" quote is perfect as a senior quote - not only does it make sense in that context, but it's also a nice in-joke

Mine was "It's all in the mind, y'know" - George Harrison, 'cuz I'm a Beatles nut and it generally fits my worldview, but if I had known "Grownups" as of the time I had to submit my yearbook stuff, I probably would have used that

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:58 pm UTC

"Life is like a box of chocolates, some stupid fuck is still insisting on keeping the disgusting cherry-praline that noone like"
EsotericWombat wrote:You're... calling the Rolling Stones emo.

It might take a while to gather the lynch mob. no one really planned against this eventuality.

krynd wrote:That'd make an awesome sig. Unfortunately, I'm sure self-sigging isn't allowed...

sillybear25
civilized syllabub
Location: Look at me, I'm putting a meta-joke in the Location field.

Postby sillybear25 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:20 pm UTC

What about...

Ambrose Bierce wrote:Quotation, n: The act of repeating erroneously the words of another.
--The Devil's Dictionary

That way, you can be witty, but still quoting someone other than yourself.
This space intentionally left blank.

hobbesmaster

Postby hobbesmaster » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:06 pm UTC

How about this:
Truth is a three-edged sword. One side is your truth, the other side is their truth, and the third side is the truth.

(I used that in a high school senior presentation - not exactly the same thing, but similar)

If you don't know what its from, you probably shouldn't use it though. :P

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:14 am UTC

Mine was "There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better for worse as his portion; that though the wide universe is full of good, no kernel of nourishing corn can come to him but though his toil bestowed on that plot of ground which is given to him to till." - Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance (1841).

Kadomox

Postby Kadomox » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:21 am UTC

i have three favorites
"I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex."
-jack handey(deep thoughts)
"Nobody can get the truth out of me because even I don't know what it is. I keep myself in a constant state of utter confusion."
- Colonel Flagg
and of course
"Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don't know what your rights are, or who the person is you're talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door."
- Jack Handey

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:22 am UTC

I like "One's real life is so often the life that one does not lead." -Oscar Wilde.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:24 am UTC

Khonsu wrote:Mine was "There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better for worse as his portion; that though the wide universe is full of good, no kernel of nourishing corn can come to him but though his toil bestowed on that plot of ground which is given to him to till." - Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance (1841).

Holy shit, even your yearbook quotes are epic in length.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:24 am UTC

We were allowed about three paragraphs of text, not just a quotation. The senior section consisted of a bunch of pages with a large, color glamor photo of two senior students and a small blurb with their full name, age, and a list of their extracurriculars and whatever quote/shout-out they'd chosen. Most people went on and on about the future and love and family, whereas I just had that quote.

xooll

Postby xooll » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am UTC

Mine was "Just think what you and Miss Breckenridge could do with a dozen eohippi!"
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:17 am UTC

Khonsu wrote:We were allowed about three paragraphs of text, not just a quotation. The senior section consisted of a bunch of pages with a large, color glamor photo of two senior students and a small blurb with their full name, age, and a list of their extracurriculars and whatever quote/shout-out they'd chosen. Most people went on and on about the future and love and family, whereas I just had that quote.

Holy shit how many people were in your class? A half page devoted to one person in my high school yearbook would have cost their parents 50-100 dollars iirc.

We had a section with all of the seniors nice pictures and quote, and then a second section with everyone's baby picture and extracurriculars. I am so pissed off because they left out my baby picture and extracurriculars completely and I never got my baby picture back. The best part was that My quote was written on the BACK of the baby picture and that was there.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:30 am UTC

If I knew of it at the time I got the chance to do the quotation thing, it would have been

"An open mind is like a Fortress with it's gates unbarred and unguarded"

because I find it amusing.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:41 am UTC

hows about:

v8ka6L5NZKk4Rxp0QBOh
rAmGzPSHi2H2kT1OV7PI

because 1) you will give anyone geeky enough hours of amusement trying to decypher it to see whatever in-joke it contains
2) the in-joke is its just a random string
in ur beanz makin u eveel

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:10 am UTC

Victorkm wrote:
Khonsu wrote:We were allowed about three paragraphs of text, not just a quotation. The senior section consisted of a bunch of pages with a large, color glamor photo of two senior students and a small blurb with their full name, age, and a list of their extracurriculars and whatever quote/shout-out they'd chosen. Most people went on and on about the future and love and family, whereas I just had that quote.

Holy shit how many people were in your class? A half page devoted to one person in my high school yearbook would have cost their parents 50-100 dollars iirc.

We had a section with all of the seniors nice pictures and quote, and then a second section with everyone's baby picture and extracurriculars. I am so pissed off because they left out my baby picture and extracurriculars completely and I never got my baby picture back. The best part was that My quote was written on the BACK of the baby picture and that was there.

We each got our own page. There were only 36 seniors (well, 35, but we made the yearbook before she dropped out). My page is one of my proudest accomplishments ever.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:45 am UTC

Okita wrote:"If you die in Canada you die in real life!"
EASILY one of my ALL TIME favorites. I think that's right around the time I started reading regularly instead of sporatically.
Okita wrote:I also like this comic but it may be too long for the space: http://xkcd.com/167/
Seriously, Randall needs to get back to basics.
ArchangelShrike wrote:The quote below as of 2007/09/27, or the lines on the sign in my avatar as of the same day.
Dooo IT!

Mine was pretty pretarded. It was from Swingers...I don't think it had any real meaning to me, accept that it did. I really liked the movie, and I think it was relivant to my out look on life.

"You're so money, and you don't even know it."

I'm sure the point would be lost on anyone not in my head, but the general idea in my opinion was just sort of along the lines of that to look around at highschool and the way my friends and myself took part in it, we kind of seem like giant loosers, but really I love my people, they're cool people, and I'm cool people. We just need a little confidence. And maybe that kind of thinking plus a hightened maturity and everyone around one being out of their comfort zones led me to come out of my shell in college.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:13 pm UTC

I guess I should look up my senior year book and see what there is about me in it.

Vekter
Now I am become Beth, the employer of squirrels

Postby Vekter » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:24 pm UTC

:_:

Throwing my hat in the ring with this:

J. Robert Oppenheimer wrote:Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

... What?
:lol: HOBO BONUS :lol:

SoapyHobo wrote:Where there's penis, there's Narsil

>:3

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:49 pm UTC

Mine was:

Douglas Adams wrote:I'll take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day

It did and still does describe me.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:52 pm UTC

Vekter wrote:
The Gorram Bhagavad Gita wrote:Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

Fixed your quote box.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:05 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote: "You're so money, and you don't even know it."

Yes, you are.

Mine was lame. "Truth is as subjective as reality."
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

Return to “School”