I miss school

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

cacp

I miss school

Postby cacp » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:03 am UTC

Work sux. Funny how things can be both interesting and boring at the same time. Anyways the thing i miss most about school after graduating is:

1) the sleep schedule (sleep as much as you want, wake up when you want)
2) intellectual debates on topics other than tv or paris hilton
3) being "plugged in" and finding out cool stuff/sites through word of mouth (ie xkcd.com)

For you guys in school or just out, what's your fav thing about college life?
My jaw is sore from yawning.

Devilsaur

Re: I miss school

Postby Devilsaur » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:27 am UTC

I alternate between work and school and the biggest thing I notice is the change of population. School has smart, young, (attractive), people around you all the time. Going out to work I typically only had co-workers, the people I lived with, and maybe a few people from an outside activity.

You compact so many intelligent youths together and it's amazing. Everything else is just so lonely in comparison.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:51 am UTC

I'm out of school with no job. That really sucks. I can keep whatever hours I want but I get no human contact except for my parents. My brain is slowly turning to mush and I think I'm starting to put down roots into my bed.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:07 am UTC

I'm *IN* school and I miss all those things you mention.

t's all down to individual experiences... Commuting doesn't lend itself well to the stuff mentioned thus far in this thread.

In fact, I'm hard pressed to even pick out one thing I like that isn't coursework.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:25 am UTC

That is exactly why I plan to bum around university and higher education for as long as I can.

Does anyone get the urge to try and get a job in a paper-pushing firm just for the prospect of making the office a really fun xkcd place? I do...

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Postby TheKhakinator » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:27 am UTC

Would that actually work? You could always try and get a job working for Questionable Content. I remember back around comic 600 they had 1 employee, so you could get lucky. I mean most offices are pretty oppressive these days, from what I hear.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:40 am UTC

That'd be half the fun! Fighting the Man and freeing the office workers and making the 9-5 slog fun! It's like modern-day micro-revolution.

I don't actually have any idea how I'd do it, I just like a challenge and making a paper-pusher fun sounds like a good, rewarding one. I'm sure in the time before I find my amazing job that I will work forever because I'd be so passionate about it (yes! I am an optimist! why do you ask?), I can find some boring office to spruce up with some well-guided boss-aimed mischief and deviousness. Provided there isn't an economic/ecological collapse/apocalypse (delete as appropriate) between now and when I finally decide to start working.

Oblivious Bear
is Oblivious

Postby Oblivious Bear » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:04 am UTC

TheKhakinator wrote:You could always try and get a job working for Questionable Content. I remember back around comic 600 they had 1 employee, so you could get lucky.

Unfortunately, one of the requirements for that job is "be dating Jeph Jacques".
Serious? What's that?

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:13 am UTC

Oh heavens. University was an entirely uninspiring 6 years for me...by and large, I didn't enjoy what I was studying, I had very few friends in the uni at large, and fewer still in any of my subjects, I wasn't involved in anything extra-curricularly and all in all it was quite the lonely experience.

But now, I'm a graduate and am supposed to enter the big bad world of work, most probably I should be in search of some horrifically dull and generic office job a la Office Space and it seems like the most unfulfilling life imaginable, and so, now I'm wondering if I should go back to the world of academia, even though I'm the worst student imaginable, because I don't want to be a grown up just yet.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:25 am UTC

Thanks for reminding me to make as many friends right now as possible :) And I wish all of you all the luck.
=]

TheKhakinator

Postby TheKhakinator » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:38 am UTC

Oblivious Bear wrote:
TheKhakinator wrote:You could always try and get a job working for Questionable Content. I remember back around comic 600 they had 1 employee, so you could get lucky.

Unfortunately, one of the requirements for that job is "be dating Jeph Jacques".

No, they actually have 1 employee that ISN'T his girlfriend/whatever.

TheKhakinator

Postby TheKhakinator » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:38 am UTC

thecommabandit wrote:That'd be half the fun! Fighting the Man and freeing the office workers and making the 9-5 slog fun! It's like modern-day micro-revolution.

You have my bow!

cacp

Postby cacp » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:53 pm UTC

It also depends what type of school you go to as well. I spent my first degree in a geek school where there were no girls (ratio 10 to 1, literally). My grad degree was in a opposite school (30%guy only). Had a much better time but didn't learn half as much.

Oblivious Bear
is Oblivious

Postby Oblivious Bear » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:48 pm UTC

TheKhakinator wrote:
Oblivious Bear wrote:

No, they actually have 1 employee that ISN'T his girlfriend/whatever.

Ah, apologies. Yeah, packing T-shirts all day...sounds like a blast...

For the math nerds out there, try to get a job at Google - I know it's oversuggested, but I've toured the Googleplex (my friend's dad works there) and FUCK it's awesome.

Me, personally? I'm a fucking english major. My goal is to remain permanently unemployed. Seriously. I never want to have to take an actual job. If I can make money writing instead, fuck timecards.
Serious? What's that?

Ambelie

Postby Ambelie » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:20 pm UTC

I miss school too, mostly the social interactions with people, ones I liked and disliked.

I miss being forced to learn stuff, and having an outlet for my curiosity, I've considered just going back to visit my high school, but it's kind of hard with work, I always seem to work during the hours that school is in.

The Cosmic Fool

Postby The Cosmic Fool » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:31 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:That'd be half the fun! Fighting the Man and freeing the office workers and making the 9-5 slog fun! It's like modern-day micro-revolution.

The Communists disdain to conceal their views and aims. They openly declare that their ends can be attained only by the forcible overthrow of all existing social conditions. Let the ruling classes tremble at a communist revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win.

Proletarians of all countries, unite!
"The future is dark, the present burdensome. Only the past, dead and buried, bears contemplation."

MikeBabaguh

Postby MikeBabaguh » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:42 pm UTC

I hated work so much I went back to school to finish (or at least continue) my education. I suppose my reasons were a bit different, as I realized I didn't want a career in the mortgage industry (or retail), but I've noticed the same thing.

Most of the people I worked with were older and stupider and more disillusioned with life. Going back to college at the age of 27 has sort of refreshed my attitude on a lot of things. It certainly helps being around college girls again. I was beginning to think I'd never see another young, pretty face again. I had no idea how much I missed having an intelligent conversation with anyone, especially the opposite sex.
Pursue happiness, with diligence.

williamager

Postby williamager » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:10 pm UTC

The Cosmic Fool wrote:

The Communists disdain to conceal their views and aims. They openly declare that their ends can be attained only by the forcible overthrow of all existing social conditions. Let the ruling classes tremble at a communist revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win.

Proletarians of all countries, unite!

But then the proles just go back to working, so they don't have too much to gain either, do they? Unfortunately, at least in reality, the proles always seem to lose, even if they win.
Do I dare
Disturb the universe?
In a minute there is time
For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse

someguy

Postby someguy » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:30 pm UTC

MikeBabaguh wrote:Most of the people I worked with were older and stupider and more disillusioned with life. Going back to college at the age of 27 has sort of refreshed my attitude on a lot of things. It certainly helps being around college girls again. I was beginning to think I'd never see another young, pretty face again. I had no idea how much I missed having an intelligent conversation with anyone, especially the opposite sex.

But didn't/don't you feel at least partially out of place among people almost ten years younger than you? I hate to admit it, but I'm fairly convinced that this was one of the reasons I dropped out the last time.
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

PhantomReality

Postby PhantomReality » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:10 pm UTC

So far it sucks. Sleeping through a class and failing a test in the only class you feel confident in on the same day. Yea remember those wonderful feelings? Or maybe you're not stupid so you passed your tests
DROP ACID NOT BOMBS.

MikeBabaguh

Postby MikeBabaguh » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:36 pm UTC

someguy wrote:
MikeBabaguh wrote:Most of the people I worked with were older and stupider and more disillusioned with life. Going back to college at the age of 27 has sort of refreshed my attitude on a lot of things. It certainly helps being around college girls again. I was beginning to think I'd never see another young, pretty face again. I had no idea how much I missed having an intelligent conversation with anyone, especially the opposite sex.

But didn't/don't you feel at least partially out of place among people almost ten years younger than you? I hate to admit it, but I'm fairly convinced that this was one of the reasons I dropped out the last time.

When I was working, I was with people mostly older than myself. Now I'm in school with people mostly younger. Frankly, I prefer the latter.
Pursue happiness, with diligence.

chaosspawn

Postby chaosspawn » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:39 pm UTC

Things I miss about college:
being able to hang out with your friends, just about whenever you felt like it.
And stupid o'clock escapades, especially those.

And I've only been out of college less than a year. Sigh I feel old, but completely immature still.

edit:
When I was working, I was with people mostly older than myself. Now I'm in school with people mostly younger. Frankly, I prefer the latter.

I've always felt more comfortable with people younger than me. Perhaps this is what I get for not only being the oldest out of my siblings, but also all my immediate cousins.
This space intentionally left blank.

cacp

Postby cacp » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:49 am UTC

PhantomReality wrote:So far it sucks. Sleeping through a class and failing a test in the only class you feel confident in on the same day. Yea remember those wonderful feelings? Or maybe you're not stupid so you passed your tests

School is just a game. I fell asleep for 10min while taking the LSAT. Still got into law school. (Took is again and got a statistically insignificant score)

PS. Looking at stuff like this http://6.content.collegehumor.com/d1/ch6/3/2/collegehumor.7777f253a63633bd1a5021728f853f73.gif
Last edited by cacp on Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

TradaPIB

Postby TradaPIB » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:02 am UTC

I'm starting university in Feb of 2008 and I can't wait. I've heard so many stories from uni-mates and the fora. I'm so happy my uni years are ahead of me ^_^

Klye

Postby Klye » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:32 am UTC

I'm in architecture school. I know I'll miss being able to walk into the studio at about 3:00 am the day a project is due, only to hear extremely loud rap music, and see everyone having a dance party instead of working. Probably the only classroom that could ever happen in.
Phi wrote: Be careful when touching it though. It really expands.

Why would she say that?!?

Hrtbrkone

Postby Hrtbrkone » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:14 am UTC

cacp wrote:1) the sleep schedule (sleep as much as you want, wake up when you want)
Where did you attend post-secondary? I have about 4 hours a night. =(

@CaraInFrames: Shucks. That's too bad. But it's true, alot of people have difficulty adapting to post-secondary life - you can see it all around campus. You're not alone. It's not the easiest thing in the world.

Ouch... I'll take note to get a job with decent human interaction. Getting your entire life absorbed by your day job is the worst thing ever. Unfortunately, the majority of people probably lives that way.

Is shooting for a job that you love too much of an ideal?

There's also nothing wrong with returning for more education. We have plenty of more mature adults where I attend university, as well as programs comprised mainly of older people (Pharmacy, for one).

Right now I'm stuck with the young folks my age... I'd rather surround myself with the older, more experienced and mature bunch.

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:43 pm UTC

I miss the clever people there, really. But I have to deal with different people in real life(TM), so no complaint here, that's life.
I definitely DON'T miss dorm room and those crazy punks who have broken my lamp and used to steal my food from shared fridge and played Quake at night with full sound on. I still hear whose gunner's booom!s occasionally. Perhaps a hallucination.
I miss clever organization and perfect logic in everything. Science dictates logic and order. And at work, all sorts of wacky customers dictate everything. If only CS and software engineering were not so different from each other...
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:25 pm UTC

Dear sweet thoth, I miss sleep.....
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:22 am UTC

I like a lot of things about the real world. I like that weekends are My Time and not project time (I will work a weekend once in a while if there's a pressing need, but I'd have to be truly Doing My Life's Work to regularly work weekends). I like that when I work in teams the whole team is usually at work so I don't have to schedule around everyone's classes and activities and stuff just to meet with them. I like that there's structure in my day, that I have to wake up at 6:40 (sometimes it sucks but if I let myself sleep in like I did in college I just get lethargic and depressed and don't make time for the important things that I do that make me happy). I like that people actually use the software that I write, and that it has a life after I've finished writing it. I like working on projects substantial enough that things like branching structure and release models become interesting problems.

As a runner, I don't like that I can't run in the mid-afternoon. The job I had in California let me set whatever schedule I wanted, so I routinely left work at 4 to go running then either worked from home for a few hours at night or came back in to the office if I was doing hardware debug. I definitely ran better that way, and probably did better work that way. And finding a social life can be tough in the real world (if you suck at meeting people you might not want to move to a place where you don't know anyone; I did this and it was no fun), but in college I certainly didn't meet people in the massive, tacky, crowded bars of Green Street. I met my friends in the dorms, through running, through project work, at jobs. Some of these things are still available in the real world. And it's nice to live near people that aren't all between the ages of 18 and 23. Good for perspective.

Just my two cents. There are plenty of good things about the real world.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

Eoin

Postby Eoin » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:54 am UTC

I had this bizarre thought towards the end of my undergrad course that I didn't want to leave college. After two years of postgrad life, I wish that thought had never occured to me.

The good thing about being in college is not being in college. It is being in your late-teen/early 20s. This ends whether you leave college or not.

cgs

Postby cgs » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:58 am UTC

Hrtbrkone wrote:Ouch... I'll take note to get a job with decent human interaction. Getting your entire life absorbed by your day job is the worst thing ever. Unfortunately, the majority of people probably lives that way.

It doesn't have to be that way-its also never too late to try something else. I spent 5 years getting a CS degree, and worked a decent paying, boring as hell cube-drone programming job for 2 years. Then I quit and started up a business teaching guitar lessons out of my home. Been at it for 7 months so far and steadily growing. Not making nearly as much, but paying the bills and having way more fun :D Of course that's not for everyone; for me personally I realized while programming was ok in small doses, I certainly didn't like it enough to do it all day.

afrasier

Postby afrasier » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:34 pm UTC

I love uni.
Wish I had friends here, though. I suppose that's what you get when your family moves to another state mid-way in your Senior year of H.S. The people where you move hate you cause you didn't grow up with them and all of your friends are far away. Then the raptors eat your brother. Then because of tuition bullshit you can't start uni till the spring semester, meaning you don't make friends during an orientation/fall "oh crap I'm new and don't know anyone" phase.
Still, I love uni.

I hate going to work over the summers/breaks. I work as a forklift driver at a Sam's Club (putting my knowledge of physics to excellent use.) with the biggest group of morons this side of West Virginia.
"Dixie, you're not a tramp. You're a stripper. That's a profession." - Scott Bakula as Dr. Sam Beckett, Quantum Leap 1x03

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:40 pm UTC

i don't miss school at all.

i certainly don't miss the hectic lifestyle and lack of clear and regular schedule draining my body and mind on a constant basis. i also certainly don't miss homework. i love going to work at the same time every day, knowing i have my weekends free, knowing what my schedule is, and not EVER having to do anything work-related when i get home.

sometimes i have to take care of general chores, but after work is over, TIME IS MINE.

the only thing i liked about school at all was being around a crapload of people my age all of the time.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

Akula

Postby Akula » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:43 pm UTC

As I said in the confession thread, I feel going to college was the biggest mistake I ever made. So I don't particularly miss it...
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

rockintom99

Postby rockintom99 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:20 pm UTC

I haven't yet gone to college, but I do miss high school a bit... *bit*. Work is really damned lame, and most of my coworkers are idiots. I think only two of them know *of* computers.
THIS IS A SIGNATURE.

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:31 am UTC

I don't miss college. I spent a lot of time being terrified about my job prospects, feeling guilty for being there (i don't have debt, but my family still held the money issue over my head), and trying to connect with so many social groups that the connections themselves didn't mean much. Too many choices to make equals too much stress.

I'm glad I went, for the people I did connect with and the lesson I got in what I don't want to pursue. But one year out, I have a low-key job in a field that I like, a handful of friends that I care about and who care about me in return, and the sense that I have some control over my future. I didn't have that in school.

King

Postby King » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:20 am UTC

What I miss most is lunch times. In school everyone had the same lunch time and so every day, twice a day you got to see everyone. It was reliable and convenient and you could just sit round and talk and have fun. Out in the real world everyone has different schedules and is in different places and the gang never ends up all in the same place. At best we can get together weekends, but in reality its more like every second or third weekend, and its never everyone, and it takes so much work to get even that. It also doesn't help that the girl who was my best friend up and moved from about 1km away to nearly 1500km away and now I only see her like twice every three months.

I did try uni for a bit but it's so big and intimidating. I'm not great at making new friends, and when you're in a crowd of 30,000 and you're lucky if you even see the same person twice its almost impossible. When you add in the fact that i'm at minimum a year younger than everyone else and on average two or three and that because of that I'm not even allowed in the bar, well it wasn't particularly fun.

I miss convenient people your own age who are doing the same thing just being around all the time. I'm so lonely these days.
Yesterday never was, and tomorrow never will be.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:16 pm UTC

I miss all the organizations where you could learn and do stuff for free
I miss the being compelled nay, EXPECTED to get my learnin's on's part
I miss the endles supply of in comming freshman boys... alright not really.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Return to “School”