Teachers that cannot teach

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

PurpleMint

Re: Teachers that cannot teach

Postby PurpleMint » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:27 am UTC

According to my science teacher, faraway celestial bodies appear reddish "because the light gets dimmer because it's so far away." He compared it to "how a flashlight looks pure white when you hold it to your eye but yellowish from a distance." He constantly interrupts his talks (rants) with "do you guys get that?" and recently when I forgot my homework he snapped "Now Phillip; I know you like to be right all the time..." He spends more time passing out crappy snacks than actually teaching and fusses over who gets to sit on the special purple cushions...

thatguy

Postby thatguy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:21 pm UTC

jakemaheu wrote:Unrelated: Did you know that they don't distribute condoms anymore in schools? I guess they lose like 5% of their school funding if they do.

The singular most annoying experience of my school career came at the hands of the Health teacher.
We were working our way through the textbook, and it was set up so that the "Sex" unit came before the Drug unit. During the sex unit, which was glossed over in about 1/4 the time of every other unit, basically consisted of him saying, "Condoms are only 97% effective, the Pill is only 99% effective, and neither prevents STD's, so why risk it?" (I was forced to ignore the inaccuracies in that statement, BTW)
When it came to the drug unit we were treated to a heroic story about how he fought to actually have a drug unit. He said parents didn't want him to talk about drugs, because then kids would know about them, and he successfully argued that the best defense is education.

I'll let you spot the hypocrisy.

Chai Kovsky wrote:Thatguy, you are my Big Damn Hero!
Thank you! You win the day!

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:20 pm UTC

6th grade teacher. she absolutely did not know how to teach.

example: she would occasionally give us a writing assignment for our journal. One was "is there a club or a group that you would like to be a part of? Write about it." I didn't feel that applied to me, so I couldn't think of anything to write. So Mrs. Ritter sent me to the principal's office. For just that.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Mr. Freeman

Postby Mr. Freeman » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:54 pm UTC

thatguy wrote:The singular most annoying experience of my school career came at the hands of the Health teacher.

My sex-ed classes consisted of someone telling us that condoms don't work. Best unit ever simply because proving this person wrong in front of the entire class was hilarious. Her own statistics proved her wrong, her statistics were wrong to begin with. She eventually just shut up and ended class about 30 mins. early because she couldn't argue with simple math.

Yambert

Postby Yambert » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:02 am UTC

hahah, my sex ed teacher was also TOTALLY adamant that condoms never worked. She was also our biology teacher, and spent large portions of her class discussing why abortion is evil. Terrible teacher.

And as far as the topic goes, I've had far too many to list. Almost all of my public school life I had bad to mediocore teachers, with (literally) one exception, and then I transferred to private school, and the quality of teaching is SO SO much better. I don't think all public schools are terrible, I just live in one of the WORST places for public schooling in the country.

Ouch.jars

Postby Ouch.jars » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:09 am UTC

I went to a small school up to grade 5, so I had the same music and drama teacher from grades 2-5. Not that much music and drama was taught.

First of all, if you talked all the time, he wouldn't care about it, but if you were usually quiet (such as me) and uttered a few words, BAM! REFLECTION SHEET! (go to another classroom and fill out some sheet). Our class was really "badly behaved" (because of lack of discipline) and after every lesson, our homeroom teacher (who sometimes spied on our behaviour) would interrogate us about what happened in music.

We learned recorder with him. He sometimes gave us sheet music for the songs, even though less than 3 people could read it, played a CD with the song, and expected us to know it. Then he might've showed us note by note how to play it. Whatever he tried, it always came out as a badly timed series of high-pitched squeaks. Not that he really tried.

Once every year, he taught us some dance/musical thing. He said we made it up, but really, nobody tried to do anything because they were so sucky.

</rant>
ouchjars: putting the "pie" in "sapience" since '08

Aiko

Postby Aiko » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:19 am UTC

My chemistry teacher. Take Friday's class as an example. He spent 43 minutes talking about shoveling his driveway. With diagrams. I watched the clock the entire period. He walks out of the room in the middle of a sentence. Just gets up and leaves. He googles, checks his email, checks the weather, etc while he's supposed to be teaching. Our latest lab was a table of obscure hints of elements in the periodic table. We were supposed to fill it in with electron configuration and atomic number and stuff. So the table would say "this element is the lightest element" and we write "hydrogen". It's a dumb assignment, but what really bothers me is that he just chekced the last page and didn't grade the whole thing. 2/3 of the class involves him talking about different kinds of foods. Pancakes, muffins, etc.

My Latin teacher. Luckily, this class is a no work easy A+. But we're spending a week on one verb. In Latin II. We spent most of today's class talking about puppies and cannibalism. And I have the teacher who actually teaches. The other one just doesn't go to class, but he's nice and awesome when he does (see the Awesome Teacher Quotes thread :D)

And Gandhi's first name is not Mohammad. Nor is coloring an acceptable activity for a high school honors history course.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:45 pm UTC

I have to color a bunch of diagrams about photosynthesis. I feel your pain.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 pm UTC

My food Technology teacher. We once spent a whole half term studying for an external qualification, now there are teachers who teach straight from the book, but she didn't even do that. She gave out books and made us copy it verbatim. A whole textbook, in silence, over 6 weeks of lessons. For an exam we could have passed after the first chapter. (this work is unrelated to the course, and most of the class can't be arsed paying the tenner to take the test, are made to write the book as well.)
Flash forward to actual work for the course we're doing. I got all low and middle Cs last year, and I'm an A/B grade student. I complained to my head of year, about her marking me down for work I knew was A quality, and her side was taken. Since the complaint, I'm getting all Bs and haven't changed anything my end. Now, one of these Bs is for "Use of ICT" I'd like to point out that I'm taking a GCSE ICT course and am getting an A, she gave me a B for this module despite my being better than her on the computers.

She annoys me so much.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:57 pm UTC

From english class, where we were doing a computer lab assignment...
Student A-Are there any sites we can't use?
Teacher-Dictionary.com and those sites
Student B- Any others?
Teacher- No!

next day, she's handing out the papers, and I get a 10/20 for using wikipedia.
Six out of twenty times.
I only used featured articles.
Yes.
And no, I missed NOTHING.

The teachers at my school seem to think that wikipedia is the spawn of satan, or something.
Omni.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:26 am UTC

She should have mentioned it, but...wikipedia really isn't for formal research. It's great for "hrm, I want to know about this." So you read an article, and then you know about that personally. But if you want a well-sourced paper, it really isn't rigorous enough, FA's or no. Just scroll down and use the WP sources--if they can't cite it, it's not trustworthy anyway.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:15 am UTC

This isn't even an essay. This is a ,"What is a dangling participle? Give three example!" thing. And I only used featured articles with no ip edits in the last hour.
Omni.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:54 am UTC

Ralith The Third wrote:This isn't even an essay. This is a ,"What is a dangling participle? Give three example!" thing. And I only used featured articles with no ip edits in the last hour.

This doesn't in any way change the fact that if I was a teacher, and I asked my students to cite sources, I would have done the same thing. Wikipedia just isn't suitable for school research. It doesn't matter the assignment--since she graded the sources, that tells me that part of the point was to teach you to get good ones.

Well. You heard him.

Oort

Postby Oort » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:32 am UTC

jakemaheu wrote:Unrelated: Did you know that they don't distribute condoms anymore in schools? I guess they lose like 5% of their school funding if they do.

Mine does. Maybe it's regional.

kreebby

Postby kreebby » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:00 pm UTC

My English teacher used spark notes as an answer key to grade our tests and only gave us books that had the moor detailed descriptions on spark notes. She could not spell half the words she was trying to teach properly and had atrocious grammar. On top of all this, she despised being corrected and when she got tired of me correcting her spelling on multiple accounts she wrote me up saying I had been verbally sexually harassing her in class by using "explicit terms". I hated her, good thing I'm not in her class anymore. (switched out of it)

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:48 pm UTC

Aiko wrote: [...] he just checked the last page and didn't grade the whole thing.

Somebody call the Waaaaaahmbulance!
This is the case with most of my university assignments. It's not going to go away. It's not even unfair, really.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

FireRose

Postby FireRose » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:05 pm UTC

Three teachers-

My sixth grade science teacher. Her idea of teaching was to read the paragraph out of the book and then have a student come up and write the notes for that paragraph on the board. After the first month, she didn't even do that. She would break us up into groups, give us two or three paragraphs to read and take notes on and the whole period to do it. Then at the very end of the period (read: less than five minutes left), she would have all the groups come up at once and write their notes on the board and then everyone had to copy the notes off the board in the remaining three seconds. And this was only on the days that she remembered not to spend the whole period talking about sports and her children. We had a lab every week, which consisted of her handing out the sheets we had to fill out for the lab and then spending the rest of the period yelling at us for talking... during a group lab in which the questions asked us to "discuss the answer with our group." Then there were her tests, which were preceded by a review day during which she read out every question on the test and gave us the correct answer. And the she made every test except for one that we took that year either open notes or open book. And five or six people still managed to fail her tests every time.

My seventh grade social studies teacher. She started walked around the classroom every day with her headphones in her ears and the volume loud enough to be heard from five feet away. She asked people to volunteer to do PowerPoints on the things we were learning for extra credit, assigned them all a subject and a day to give their presentation, then sat in the back of the classroom for the rest of the year listening to her iPod and letting the students teach the class. There were perhaps three tests all year and two finals. Most everyone in her class spent it doing homework, listening to their iPods or doing some other activity. We spent the first semester doing Native Americans and the colonies (the ENTIRE FIRST SEMESTER) and the second semester doing the Vietnam War (the ENTIRE SECOND SEMESTER). Fortunately, we were doing US history (again), so it's not like I missed anything.

My eighth grade geometry teacher. Only one of the three that I actually liked as person, just not as a teacher. He opened the class with a simple warm-up to get us started and then gave us ten or fifteen minutes to do it and spent five or ten minutes going over it. He then asked for question on the homework and spent the entire rest of the period going over basically every question on the homework because we hadn't gotten to the lesson yesterday, either, but he still assigned the homework. I basically spent the whole year teaching myself out of the book and doodling on homework he never collected, and on the few occasions that he checked it in, looked at the page, saw proofs, and gave you credit. What amounted to the majority of the class gave him the same four homework assignments all year. Then his tests would come up and include all of the things he never got around to teaching us plus a few things never included in the book. Needless to say, basically the whole class failed his tests. He also gave "Problems of the Week" which were a set of seven question worth three points each that we had to do and then turn in a week after he assigned them. They had absolutely nothing to do with what we were (not) learning, and had no connection to geometry at all. Next year, when I took Algebra 2, I discovered that they were in fact Algebra 2 concepts that we had never learned and weren't supposed to have learned.

Mysidic

Postby Mysidic » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:47 am UTC

I got this from my sister.

For the fourth grade, my sister had Miss <withheld>

their day went something like this:

Start to first recess: Nothing. She would eat, and kids would talk until recess.
After first recess - lunch: Rants about bad things that happened to her/the world.
after lunch/Second recess: They'd read a book. Some age appropriate novel.
after Third recess: nothing.

She taught absoultley no science or math, or writing. Or really, anything. My sister had no fourth-grade education.

Other things: she had rather poor personal hygiene, and would ask students to scratch her back.
And would drink a 2-liter of soda in front of the students.(new bottle every day, I suspect she must be very sick now) She was later fired.

I stress this: it's all true, I left out some of the worse things because they were too identifiable.
""Thou shalt not lie": in other words, beware, my dear philosopher, of telling the truth." ~Nietzche

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:33 pm UTC

oooh! oooh!
I got a detention.
For reading.
In reading class.

Yeah.

The class was supposed to read Treasure island chapters 9 and 10, I was on 12 with all associated homework done, and answer over a third of the questions in the class, and get arrested for reading The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.
Omni.

the tree

Postby the tree » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:39 pm UTC

I have one lecturer who is just plain terrible. When he makes notes of the board, he uses no words at all and he doesn't use the boards in any particular order. He repeats himself when he's speaking and interrupts students when they're trying to answer a question but taking more than a couple of seconds. He doesn't communicate any real passion for the subject (it's group theory/algebra/stuff) and I really find it difficult to give a damn about what he's saying.

He kept on mentioning some on-line notes so I went to take a look at those. They are fine. They are well presented with headings in all the right places, appropriate font sizes, illustrations when they're needed but not all the time, and a 'raptor on page 10.

My guess is that he was hired based on research skills rather than teaching skills, since he is clearly pretty good when it comes to actually writing stuff.

Ralith The Third wrote:I got a detention [for being a massive nerd].
Oh I always got yelled at when I wasn't reading the same thing as everyone in English. When the class had to read as a group, each person taking a couple of paragraphs, I would occasionally have finished the chapter by the time it got to me. My only defence was that reading as a group was a lame exercise.

nnninja

Postby nnninja » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:13 am UTC

1. When I was in grade 7, the class beside mine had the WORST teacher ever, he was like a teacher from hell's basement's trash can! While my class was working we could hear him screaming through the wall, when my classes door and his were closed. We only had him for science but he still made our lives a constant hell. When we got a test once, for example, we thought we all did fine, but when we got them back every one exept me failed (and I got a D)!One student lost several marks for spelling (this is still science). And if you made one little sound you got screamed at (he didn't even send us to the office, he is much worse).

2. The french teacher that I had all through elementery school. Every day she would come in and tell us all that we are the worst class in school, and say that we are 10 times worse than yesterday (if we started at a bad rating of 1, we must have been at least 10000000000 by the end of the year, and this is every year), when we only did our work and helped those that didn't get it (which was a lot of people, she only stated how she hated us, and didn't teach).
"Give the gift of remote-controlled body carnage this year!"
http://www.datarealms.com/

Scilence is golden, but duct tape is silver, and more easy to find!

Deep Fried Pickles

Postby Deep Fried Pickles » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:17 am UTC

1) Eighth Grade Spanish was taught to us once a week out of photocopied packets with "Learning Spanish -- 3rd Grade" on the bottom. The teacher didn't even speak any.
2) Ninth Grade Latin, Tenth Grade History are taught to me by a crazy Hungarian guy who yells at people for arbitrary reasons, steers himself off topic, and gives us worth less lectures. He's a fun guy to mess around with though.
3) Tenth Grade Latin is taught by a guy with a fake mustache whose only knowlege of Latin is from watching Sparatacus and Ben-Hur and from having the teacher's text book. He moves ridiculously fast and tells us to teach ourselves. We usually have about a quiz a week.
4) Ninth Grade Molecular Biology was taught by a woman who just read off of slides while we all ignored her. The grading was so curved that I never even read them.
5) Tenth Grade Anatomy is taught by a woman who just reads off of slides while we all ignore her. The grading isn't curved, so I have to memorize them. :(
6) Tenth Grade Spanish is taught by a fluent speaker, but one who has no knowlege of how to teach or how grammar works. Consequently, we are more than half done the year, and on Chapter.. three.
7) Eighth Grade Algebra I was taught by a woman from Alabama who couldn't teach, and wouldn't let us use new-fangled calculators. If we did problems shorter than the long drawn out way, they were wrong. Consequently, I repeated Algebra I.

KestralTweet

Postby KestralTweet » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:14 am UTC

My 7th grade science teacher was horrible. She just told us to read and write and never bothered to explain it to us. She also couldn't keep the class under control using pitiful "behavior" systems consisting of checks and pluses similar to the card system in Elementary, but on a note board and she gave us an NI in behaviour for the week if we have no pluses by the end of the week. (Two checks plus one plus equals one check)

gerb

Postby gerb » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:32 am UTC

Goodness. How are all these people 'teachers'?
I feel lucky to have been spared the system for most of my student years.

Last year I had an awesome Culinary teacher at my Vo-Tech school. This year he left us and got replaced by the cafeteria manager. :-(
She knows about food, sure. But she can't teach at all, can't relate to the students, and is a real.... Jerk.
Ended up leaving the school because of it.

This year my Calculus class is all messed up. The video lessons are great and the teacher is funny, but the practice questions usually don't have much to do with the lessons and the graded assignments are different too. Makes it look harder than it is. Bad course design. Ugh.
"In a world where derivatives change functions into other functions...one constant will stand alone....This summer, Leonhard Euler is...ex..."
-Sir_Elderberry

superglucose
hermaj's new favourite

Postby superglucose » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:33 pm UTC

PurpleMint wrote:According to my science teacher, faraway celestial bodies appear reddish "because the light gets dimmer because it's so far away."

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAAAAhahaaaahahahaaa... pro.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:42 pm UTC

gerb wrote:This year my Calculus class is all messed up. The video lessons are great...

I just imagined "In a world where derivatives change functions into other functions...one constant will stand alone....This summer, Leonhard Euler is...ex..."

Is this awesome, y/y?

Well. You heard him.

Mysidic

Postby Mysidic » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:08 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:I just imagined "In a world where derivatives change functions into other functions...one constant will stand alone....This summer, Leonhard Euler is...ex..."

Is this awesome, y/y?

I can't decide if I want to integrify or derivitate that(screw proper terms).

He'll be mentored by newton or Lebinz. But who will the antagonist be? I have some notes about the war between sine and it's polar opposite, the arcsine.(taken from a lecture where the teacher claimed the trig functions could talk to him)
""Thou shalt not lie": in other words, beware, my dear philosopher, of telling the truth." ~Nietzche

Kalathalan

Postby Kalathalan » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:33 am UTC

---
Last edited by Kalathalan on Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Krakatoa

Postby Krakatoa » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:46 am UTC

Normally I don't post, but this just had to be added.

We had a substitute for Drama today, and she was fucking scary. She had a death stare that tore into your soul and eyebrows like little clouds. In our school we use intercoms to relay messages from classrooms to the office, so today, amongst other things, this event occurred.

Intercom: Hello, P3? (room name)
Normally, one would answer "yes?" but she didn't. For no reason. She heard the intercom, but didn't answer. Thirty seconds later,
Intercom: P3?
Again, no answer from the teacher so I had to answer. "yes?" I'm sitting about ten feet from the thing, those microphones are awesome.
Intercom: Is Jemma LastnameissomethingIforget there?
Me: Yes.
Intercom: Can she come to the office please?
I looked at the teacher, he looked at the intercom. She got up and walked over to it, finally seeing that she had to say something, and pressed the button. After seeing me just talk to it, twice, she still decided there was a 'voice' button - what the button really does is call the office from the room.
Intercom: P3? Yes, can Jemma come to the office please?
The teacher nodded. She nodded at the wall-mounted intercom. Which has no video. And nothing that looks like a camera. She stood and nodded at the fucking intercom.
Jemma, on her way out: Yes, I'm coming to the office.

revolting fucking teacher she was, too.

Dalimaar

Postby Dalimaar » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:12 am UTC

My eighth grade earth science teacher, and I quote, "The Earth revolves around the moon and that's what gives us our day and night." Also any arguments with her in which you're right and she's wrong end with her walking away from you, she can't even offer a coherent argument.
Favorite *nix command: shutdown -P +1 This system will self destruct in 60 seconds

Snicklefrits

Postby Snicklefrits » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:50 am UTC

My creative writing teacher is terrible. She had the class buy a book of HER poetry for the course. She offers harsh criticism for everything but doesn't give concrete examples of how to fix anything. Her handwriting is incomprehensible, and she spends large amounts of class time talking about herself and how she was almost (key word, almost) awarded a Pulitzer. The class description should have said "learn through trial and error what irritates this particular teacher while being told how terrible you are." The semester isn't half over and I'm already dreading each class.

the tree

Postby the tree » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:30 pm UTC

Snicklefrits wrote: She had the class buy a book of HER poetry for the course.
Oh gawd, that's... horrible. I mean, I'd understand being made to read a teacher's textbook. But ugh, that's just... ugh.

jakemaheu

Postby jakemaheu » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:17 pm UTC

Oort wrote:

Mine does. Maybe it's regional.

Possibly. I'm in Michigan; you?
Dauric wrote:Rent more backhoes and order more fill-dirt. This molehill needs to be a mountain by day's end.

sje46 wrote:It's not if when you get married the husband ceremoniously places his dick in his wife and a baby

gerb

Postby gerb » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:06 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
gerb wrote:This year my Calculus class is all messed up. The video lessons are great...

I just imagined "In a world where derivatives change functions into other functions...one constant will stand alone....This summer, Leonhard Euler is...ex..."

Is this awesome, y/y?

I need that as my sig.
*takes*
"In a world where derivatives change functions into other functions...one constant will stand alone....This summer, Leonhard Euler is...ex..."
-Sir_Elderberry

Firion345

Postby Firion345 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:41 am UTC

My music teacher is pretty bad, there are many stories about his marijuana use, and how he sneaks outside when the police bring the drug dogs to do presentations, but besides that, he's pretty inept, he'll mostly tell stories to us, (He went to highschool with Dick Cheney!) and yell at us for not playing the music to his standards.
Sweet-hearted one, meditate on knowing and not knowing, existing and not existing. Then leave both aside so that you may be.

darkspork

Postby darkspork » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:15 pm UTC

My sixth/seventh grade art teacher was a complete feminazi. She was always out to get me and the other three guys in that class simply for having the dangly kind of genitalia. One time, I was sent to the principal because I PURPOSELY spilled ink and RUINED HER DESK. (I accidentally knocked over the bottle of india ink that I was using for my project. At the time, I had a "special desk" she gave me so I could be kept under surveillance. Instead of sitting at a nice wide table like everyone else, I had a desk almost exactly the same size as the art I had been working on. The desk was also on a 15 degree angle downward.) She wondered why I never got any work done, though it was obviously because she constantly threw me in the hall.
Shameless Website Promotion: Gamma Energy
My new esoteric programming language: GLOBOL
An experiment to mess with Google Search results: HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY

HarleyQuinn

Postby HarleyQuinn » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:49 pm UTC

Ok, for Algebra I had the best math teacher ever, You could tell that he really loved the subject and adored when students understood it. His enthusiasm made me just as happy to do math. The class wasn't loud or rowdy, we were all really quiet and serious, it was an inner thing.
The following year, Algebra 2, the teacher simply couldn't teach. She wasn't technically a math teacher, she was the enrichment teacher, but she knew the material. She figured the best way to teach this class of six was to just hand them workbooks with shitty examples and even worse explanations. Even when I told her that I had no idea what I was doing (and this was a personal stab through the heart, I loathe admitting I'm helpless etc.) she just brushed me off and told me to re-look the section. When I did figure something out, I could rarely apply it or remember it until the test. I mentioned this in passing to my mom who simply had to get involved. Apparently, "Harley just doesn't care."
And you know what, I didn't care. I honestly could not bring myself the feign the slightest bit of interest in the numbers and variables this woman was handing me, I fully understood why so many people complained about not understanding math, which was once my favorite and best subject.

Worst class of my life.
Magnanimous wrote:I used to be really into nostalgia a few years ago. Man, those were the days.

Auwolf

Postby Auwolf » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:29 am UTC

Ah this reminded me off my maths classes last year. It was a Foundations maths class. Our teacher was really vague when trying to explain concepts and didn't explain things properly. She'd frequently yell at me for not paying attention or getting an answer wrong.

I swear she was partially deaf as well as students would play their ipods loud so the rest of the class could hear and one time she'd only noticed because one student complained to the student who had the ipod that it was terrible music. I passed my assignments but not many tests nor my exams as I could get assistance from other teachers and my tutor.

This year I was going to go into Discreet Maths, the one you needed if you wanted to get into university but it required knowledge from the previous year to be able to complete so I had to drop down to the lower class which is quite easy. So now I'm going to go to TAFE because I now I'm only doing three TEE subjects as you need 4 to get in. Hopefully I can get into university with my portfolio.

edit: Grammar.
Last edited by Auwolf on Wed May 20, 2009 2:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

"I had a dream too. It wasn't good though. I dreamt I was a moron." -Squall Leonhart

Yesila

Postby Yesila » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:10 am UTC

Kalathalan wrote:
My current chemistry teacher. (snip)
She doesn't review for tests, so naturally we all do bad.

I would think that it's you, not your teacher, that should be reviewing for the tests.

bobbo

Postby bobbo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:32 pm UTC

My Maths teacher cannot teach to save herself. She spends a good half an hour of every (one hour) class moaning about something, normally someone talking or forgetting homework. Then when she does get round to doing some actual teaching, she just fires ideas onto the board with as minimal an explanation as possible and spends the rest of the class (while we work on some questions) standing at the door waiting for someone to do something wrong so she can shout at the person. This is probably why I am failing Math this year.

I also had a Chemistry teacher a couple of years ago that just could not control the class. This was before we got split up into seperate classes based on academic aptitude, so I was stuck in a class full of idiots and chavs, who spent the entire time taking the piss. One example was a big group of neds suddenly standing up and a bunsen burner fight. Amazingly noone was injured, but the teacher seemed to disappear not long after.

Return to “School”