Teachers that cannot teach

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

RetSpline

Re: Teachers that cannot teach

Postby RetSpline » Wed May 27, 2009 10:43 pm UTC

aeromax wrote:Last year I had to take Earth Science, which is the ninth-grade mandatory science class (cue facepalm). The teacher was almost psychotically obsessed with packets; she gave us a six-page stapled monstrosity every day, sometimes more than one. And they were stuffed with mind-numbing "fill-in-the-blank" questions, that would take thirty minutes per packet even if you were just writing "this packet is stupid" for every one. Her reign of idiocy extended to the point where all the tests in the class were worth .15 of the grade. Adding insult to injury, I'd already taken chemistry, biology, physics and AP Bio when they made me sit through this atrocity of a class.
Man, that packets things is NOTHING. Kids looking to take AP English and History at my school are required to take a weird combined English/History class Freshman and Sophomore year (though I lucked out on the madness). The Sophomore class is apparently just packet after packet of information, with brief breaks for incredibly hard projects and presentations. There's a girl this year counting the paperwork they've been handed out, god bless her troubled soul, and before the end of the first semester they were somewhere around 240 pages PER-PERSON. There's at least 60 kids in that class, so that's 14,400 pages total in under half the year.

And everyone's wondering why nobody's allowed to print any more...

Kyberely

Postby Kyberely » Fri May 29, 2009 5:42 pm UTC

For the last three years of high school we had a PE teacher who's idea of teaching was to do a badly mimed demonstration for five seconds then sit our for the rest of the lesson.
Faye Whitaker wrote:His first thought would be "BJORN WANT HOT PEASANT GIRL"and his second thought would be "AUGH PEASANT GIRL ANALLY VIOLATING BJORN WITH BJORN'S OWN BATTLEAXE"

PieceofPi

Postby PieceofPi » Sat May 30, 2009 6:27 am UTC

Ralith The Third wrote:oooh! oooh!
I got a detention.
For reading.
In reading class.

Yeah.

The class was supposed to read Treasure island chapters 9 and 10, I was on 12 with all associated homework done, and answer over a third of the questions in the class, and get arrested for reading The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Good book.

And yes, I got detention in eighth grade (my only ever) for reading in English - she wouldn't allow us to read ahead in the book the class was reading, and I was done all of my homework in every class, so I decided to read Mayflies (Kevin O'Donnell Jr). She also marked an independent reading project late - I wasn't feeling well that morning and tried to hand it to her, but she insisted that I hand it in that class. I threw up second period, and went home. Next day I hand it in first thing, only to find out that
she marked it late because "I was at school that day". So, let me get this straight - If I skip school, even without a note, it isn't marked late, but if I try to go to school and go home sick it is?

This is why I like this year better.
I do not know where family doctors acquired illegibly perplexing handwriting; nevertheless, extraordinary pharmaceutical intellectuality, counterbalancing indecipherability, transcendentalizes intercommunications' incomprehensibleness.

seridos

Postby seridos » Sat May 30, 2009 9:38 am UTC

Contrary to others in this thread, I liked when teachers would go off on tangents, as long as everything was covered of course. I mean I went to high school; that material could be taught in the first 30 minutes of each 80 minute class. Also, if I were teaching a class on a subject I wrote a friggin book on, I would probably reference the hell out of it too.

On a slightly different but still relevant topic, what was your favorite part of your physics classes? I'm a future physics teacher(looong way off) but I'm already thinking about it. I plan to use many, many little experiments to demonstrate concepts. Even little one's my physic teacher did like induced magnetism and just other small experiments to demonstrate velocity in the x-direction not changing fall-time etc etc. I really enjoyed them, they made physics more "real".

On the other hand, what things did you not like about said class?

joek

Postby joek » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:06 pm UTC

I agree with the tangents thing - our best history teacher (and one of the best teachers in the school) is legendary for his ability to spend 50mins of a one hour lesson going off on a tangent to a tangent, and he marks exams more harshly than the GCSE examiners, and he is still able to teach us enough to get an A*.
As for physics classes - lots and lots of experiments is a Very Good Thing. My old physics teacher did loads, and they made her class really interesting. My new, incompetent one does none at all.

Secateurs

Postby Secateurs » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:30 pm UTC

seridos wrote: On a slightly different but still relevant topic, what was your favorite part of your physics classes? I'm a future physics teacher(looong way off) but I'm already thinking about it. I plan to use many, many little experiments to demonstrate concepts. Even little one's my physic teacher did like induced magnetism and just other small experiments to demonstrate velocity in the x-direction not changing fall-time etc etc. I really enjoyed them, they made physics more "real".

On the other hand, what things did you not like about said class?

We haven't actually done any experiments so far this year. We have a common investigation coming up worth 10% of our year grade. I'm wondering if we're supposed to be taking the initiative to do our own physics experiments to practise... So I think experiments definitely help.
The things I like about physics are when we learn about the real-life context/applications of what we're doing in class. And honestly, I just enjoy learning the work.

Things I don't like... spending an entire lesson not learning anything. I've thought about it, and yeah, I have to agree that the off-topic conversations do have their places. But it's too much to spend an entire lesson talking about something that we don't need to know - even if it is interesting. My opinion, anyway.

Going back to teachers that can't teach, I spent most of my last maths lesson trying to make my teacher understand that the scale on our calculator doesn't affect the actual graph, only the little dots on the axes. We were graphing something on our calculator, and it comes up centred at the origin, so sometimes you need to adjust the view. So I did that, and my teacher couldn't find the graph. I give her my co-ordinates, and as soon as I mention the scale, she asks someone else for theirs. (Which didn't give a view of the entire graph.)

I sulked and taught myself the entire lesson in 10 minutes while my teacher was trying to make the calculator work. We (as a class) only just managed to make it through the notes for that lesson. But I like her as a teacher (usually), it's just that she's not very technologically gifted, what with the smartboard and calculator.
Shivahn wrote:Given RNA, derive a spider monkey.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:31 pm UTC

seridos wrote:\On a slightly different but still relevant topic, what was your favorite part of your physics classes? I'm a future physics teacher(looong way off) but I'm already thinking about it. I plan to use many, many little experiments to demonstrate concepts. Even little one's my physic teacher did like induced magnetism and just other small experiments to demonstrate velocity in the x-direction not changing fall-time etc etc. I really enjoyed them, they made physics more "real".\

Coolest thing in my physics class: we did a lab with a little spring loaded ball-bearing launcher. First we used carbon paper to measure how far it launched at a given angle. Then we had to work out the initial velocity of the ball as it left the launcher. Then we had to pick a different angle for the ball and try and hit a predetermined target our teacher put out by working out how far away we should be.

It was a great demonstration of how physics is more than just cold equations that use too many assumptions to help anything. You got to take simple things--this was the first few weeks of class, after we'd done kinematics and not much else--and use them to make accurate predictions!
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

yoteango

Postby yoteango » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:55 pm UTC

I had one this past year.

The class was Fundamentals of Engineering. It seemed cool. But when school started my teacher gave us a 140 page packet (http://www.solidworks.com/downloads/education/Student_Guide.pdf if you want to see it.)with instructions on how to do a task. All he ever did was say to do it. He didn't even read it. One day I needed help because I couldn't find the e-drawings. He said to me "Read the directions". I was furious I told him off a couple of weeks later to tell him that I turned something in when he said I didn't do It and told him "Mr. [removed], I haven't leaned ANYTHING from you this whole year, you just gave us that stupid workbook and told us to do it." It was funny to see his reaction and everyone was looking and it felt good.

Hope that ranting made any sense .

No real names and no live links before you have at least five posts. Please read the Rules threads. - Hammer
Last edited by Hammer on Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Live link removed

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:08 pm UTC

One of the two modules I failed at university was 2nd year maths, due to the complete uselessness of the lecturer. He knew the subject, of course - this being a top science/engineering university you'd expect nothing less - but he went through the material in a way that assumed that all the students already knew it. Being 2nd year maths for an engineering course, this was fairly advanced stuff, and few of the students had ever covered any of it before. If anyone asked a question the guy just launched into a rant about how it was basic and/or simple and we should have understood it already and continued working through his notes without answering the question or helping at all. I think he got the worst result ever in our department on the lecturer evaluation system at the end of the year.

I repeated the year (I screwed up more than just that one module, by dint of not doing any work at all in 2nd year, so had to resit), and the reports from the previous year had been so bad they'd completely changed the teaching staff for the maths module - they had what I figure were two of the best lecturers from the maths department instead, and I found it easy from then on...

A_pathetic_lizardmnan

Postby A_pathetic_lizardmnan » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:59 am UTC

My math teacher gave us notes to copy off the board. This does not seem so bad until you realize 3 things
1)She graded based on accuracy of copying rather than understanding of the concepts--in an honors math-analysis class
2)She did not answer questions, but instead pointed out sections of notes or gave extra homework
3)She frequently made errors, both arithmetic and conceptual

Also, on the day of the final, we walk into class.
"The exam is multiple choice, but I didn't check to make sure that the correct answer is actually there. I'll be doing the test along with you, and I will mark 'e' on the answer key if the answer isn't there. If the answer isn't there and you mark an answer other than 'e,' you will be marked wrong. I can't imagine that there will be more than one or two 'e's."

Two hours later, at the end of the 20 question exam, I have marked 9 'e's. It turns out there were only 8 (by her math, which I am naturally suspicious of).

Durin

Postby Durin » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:15 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
seridos wrote:\On a slightly different but still relevant topic, what was your favorite part of your physics classes? I'm a future physics teacher(looong way off) but I'm already thinking about it. I plan to use many, many little experiments to demonstrate concepts. Even little one's my physic teacher did like induced magnetism and just other small experiments to demonstrate velocity in the x-direction not changing fall-time etc etc. I really enjoyed them, they made physics more "real".\

Coolest thing in my physics class: we did a lab with a little spring loaded ball-bearing launcher. First we used carbon paper to measure how far it launched at a given angle. Then we had to work out the initial velocity of the ball as it left the launcher. Then we had to pick a different angle for the ball and try and hit a predetermined target our teacher put out by working out how far away we should be.

It was a great demonstration of how physics is more than just cold equations that use too many assumptions to help anything. You got to take simple things--this was the first few weeks of class, after we'd done kinematics and not much else--and use them to make accurate predictions!

My Physics teacher did that too! I loved that lab. We did one with launch angles and one with horizontal launch. For the one with horizontal launch, we made a prediction to where the ball would be if we fired from a certain height (the second floor). Also, we did a similar lab for 1D motion for which we predicted when to drop a bouncy ball from the third floor so it would hit a toy truck. The kinematics labs we did were quite fun.

Zelda007

Postby Zelda007 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:41 am UTC

Oh I wish one of my friends knew about this thread. She would likely fill several posts ranting about various teachers we've had. And that would just scratch the surface. She just seems to hate most of her teachers.

I personally don't mind most of my teachers. Sure my 9th and 10th grade literature teachers could have actually taught us something, but they were fun classes (and my most hated subjects).

I will say that our school's Psychology teacher doesn't belong. I feel that she should see a psychologist herself. She seemed to love the sound of her own voice, and her stories would often contradict themselves. Plus, she seemed to be very sexist towards women. She once made the comment that it had been proven that men cannot multitask. I kept my mouth shut on that one, but I just wanted to go off at that. At least the movies she showed us weren't bad. I probably would have never seen A Beautiful Mind if it weren't for her. But it doesn't make up for her lousy teaching. I didn't learn much that I didn't already know. I learned of a few people and the name of several theories, but I already knew most of the material. I was hoping the class would be a lot harder. Oh well.

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:04 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
gerb wrote:This year my Calculus class is all messed up. The video lessons are great...

I just imagined "In a world where derivatives change functions into other functions...one constant will stand alone....This summer, Leonhard Euler is...ex..."

Is this awesome, y/y?

I realize this is a bit old, but an interesting video project I undertook while learning After Effects, and serious roadblocks of time flying at me, created this. I planned to not-totally-rip-off-a-Bridge-template and use live-action shots, too, but once again, times.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:15 am UTC

It gives me joy to know something I posted in February has been given this treatment.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Earlz
Gets Obvious Implications

Postby Earlz » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:13 am UTC

Well... lets see... *conjures up memories*

My teacher Coach Hankins never really taught us anything. He would put up notes on a projector in his horrid cursive writing. Then either read the newspaper(which if one of us read when we were done we got in trouble for) or he would sleep(not even kidding). Our room temperature was usually around 65F with the fans fully on(he didn't turn on the heater til there was frost outside). He talked about "The Open Range" and how it all went away when he was a kid. He talked about how he was apparently an electrical engineer. And he discouraged debating about things like abortion. And he failed you if you said you were republican, you didn't play sports, or you just looked at him wrong one day. My transcript was something like this:

Code: Select all

3rd 9 week    4th 9 week    Semester Test      Semester Grade(Final)
   91                     94                   98                             D

He retired after my year though, so I couldn't exactly ask him wtf were you thinking you stupid old man.

Now that I thnk about it. that really pisses me off cause I could have got a better scholarship or something with a .2 or so more on my GPA.. ugh

My algebra class usually consisted of 5 minutes of teaching. 30 minutes of yelling "DETENTION!" and 15 minutes of her out of the class..

I had a teacher who should be a registered sex offender. He constantly fluffs his chest hair(which is died black and sticking out of his low cut shirt) and has been caught looking down students shirts more than once, and also drops a pencil "accidentally" and has them pick it up, or if they are wearing a dress he picks it up. Everyone passed that class because nothign was actually graded. All you had to do was put in some text in all the empty spaces. My friend would usually still his desk chair though and he would just stand around looking awkward. That was pretty hilarious. And once my friend jared drew a "full" woman(naked) on the chalk board with him in the room without him noticing.

My vocal class usually consisted of my teacher talking about random stuff. her yelling about one of the jocks acting up. then singing maybe a song.. sometimes... or singing pointless warmups that no one participated in.
My new blag(WIP, so yes it's still ugly..)
DEFIANCE!
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD

Narius

Postby Narius » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:01 pm UTC

My 11th grade Physics teacher.
Nice guy, and I actually understood most of what he taught without too many communication problems.
However, his tests were deathly disproportionate to what he taught.

It would have been like a Algebra teacher giving their students a calculus test.

modnar379

Postby modnar379 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:10 am UTC

My 6th grade social studies teacher. One time she put in a History Channel movie on the Egyptian pyramids. It was around five hours long. We were supposed to take notes, and she "helped" with this by stopping the movie every few minutes to say we had to write something down. Of course, then she went back to the beginning of the scene multiple times, every single time she stopped the video. Another time, she gave a lecture (That's what she called it. I mean, that's what every 6th grader wants to hear.) on important historical landmarks in Central America. She said it would take 45 minutes, it took a week also. She would teach random mini-units on current events in the middle of another unit. One day, she showed us a video about a search for some sunken ship that had old Spanish coins on it, I think it was called the Atocha. Not only was it completely unrelated to what we had been doing, we had to take notes on it, and it wasn't on the test or anything. If someone talked too much, she made the peson go outside and sit on the steps for the rest of class (we were outside the main school building, in a portable classroom). The only reason most of the class did well was because she gave us essay tests, where we basically wrote down everything we could think of from the unit.

For two years, I had my favorite math teacher ever. However, she hired the same substitute every time she wasn't there. She was gone more than most teachers, because she shoots in professional competitions in various states. The sub was bad enough that we nicknamed him "The Vulture." He yelled at us for asking each other questions on the homework. If we talked too much, he turned off the lights and acted like we were in preschool. The Vulture generally didn't remember what we were doing in class, so we almost always got one of the kids to explain it to the class that day.

At my school now, we have a TAG (Talented And Gifted) program. The TAG coordinator is usually nice, she just doesn't really help. At all. A few weeks ago, she called all the smart kids down to the library to fill out a sheet about ourselves. On it, she asked what we thought are strengths and weaknesses were. Some of the categories were Friendship Skills and Self Knowledge. She assumes we can't make friends on our own, and holds TAG lunch groups that no one goes to. Last year she begged me, once a month, to go fill out the Math Olympiad contest (I always [filled it out as fast as I could so I could get back to talking to my friends.

I really haven't had too many bad teachers/school staff members, luckily.

Ouch.jars

Postby Ouch.jars » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:27 pm UTC

Back in year 6, I had a somewhat senile science teacher.
One time, someone decided to turn on a gas tap (while we were not working with them). His solution? Open the door a little. Not turning the tap off, not opening a window, opening the door. He also made us rule 5mm lines on pre-lined 8mm exercise books and write in all capitals, as well as rule a bunch of other lines on each page (two orthogonally through the centre, two diagonally, maybe more) before using it. Our class had a project in which we were required to plant tree seedlings and monitor their progress, and they all died, because we only watered them once a week, each science lesson. I also had him for some homeroom lessons in the afternoon, but he never bothered to show up and the teacher from the class next door had to take us for it as well as her own class. Another time, we were using microscopes and he expected us to know how to position the mirror (considering that no-one had used microscopes at school before), and didn't tell us how. I don't remember learning anything at all in those classes.
We got a different science teacher in the second semester, and he retired at the end of the year.

The next year, the year level's director of students (or something) referred to events where a bunch of people crowded around a "fight" (as he described them; few of them were) as "a mob mentality" during our daily morning announcements/etc. meeting.
ouchjars: putting the "pie" in "sapience" since '08

grimreeker

Postby grimreeker » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:39 pm UTC

in 9th grade, we had an honors bio teacher who readily admitted during parent-teacher conferences that she didn't keep up with her subject, read out of the book, and couldn't answer the vast majority of higher-level questions I posed. The class that stands out in my mind is when we wasted an entire class on Rihanna getting beaten up by Chris Brown. What irked me most is that there was a perfectly competent bio teacher whom I would have learned a lot from. I should have her for AP bio senior year, though.

Vohu Manah
athlete's nipple.

Postby Vohu Manah » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:14 am UTC

My 7th grade ancient artifact math teacher. She wouldn't explain anything and assigned completely random problem sets (do 42-56 even, 28, 36,34-68, guided practice 14-22, and part a of 72). Our papers could only have 10 problems per side, and we couldn't use staples or paper clips. We had to cut out small graphs and glue it on to our assignments, but she would never give us any.
She wasn't all bad though. You could actually not do the assignment and still get an A (she had the weirdest grading system ever made). There were even kids who talked on the phone in her class and got away with it.
Not to mention my sixth grade science teacher that believed all cars ran on natural gas (it does have gas in the name). I'm not surprised at that though; she was also my P.E., Health, and Reading teacher.
Isaac Hill wrote:If this tetonic plate's rockin' such that it registers no less than 6.1 on the Richter scale, don't come a knockin'.

Master_Bratac

Postby Master_Bratac » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:37 pm UTC

I haven't had any really bad teachers, but I have had some that were mind-numbingly dull.

My high-school freshman history class went like this:
The teacher states a fact. You write it down. The teacher repeats the fact a few times.
Repeat 50 minutes a day for a few weeks.
Open-note test.
Repeat.

The teacher was the basketball coach; I don't remember anything from the class except that "cannon" is an acceptable plural of "cannon."

University, religion course. Most boring class I have ever taken. For some reason, we had a quiz where we had to identify countries on a map of Asia. Very, very dull.

AP Computer Science, Java. I submitted an assignment including the line

i = !i;

He didn't know what it meant.
The cardinal rules for the students were "Don't listen to Mr. Smith" and "Don't ask Mr. Smith."
I still got my 5 on the AP exam.

Fortunately, I've been lucky enough to have all very good math teachers.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:59 pm UTC

Master_Bratac wrote:AP Computer Science, Java. I submitted an assignment including the line

i = !i;

He didn't know what it meant.
The cardinal rules for the students were "Don't listen to Mr. Smith" and "Don't ask Mr. Smith."
I still got my 5 on the AP exam.
What's wrong with that line? Even if i is an integer, the line is still well defined, and still does something. :wink:

douglasm

Postby douglasm » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:39 pm UTC

achan1058 wrote:What's wrong with that line? Even if i is an integer, the line is still well defined, and still does something. :wink:

Nothing. The point of him mentioning it was that his teacher couldn't understand it.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:37 pm UTC

achan1058 wrote:Even if i is an integer, the line is still well defined, and still does something.

If by "something" you mean "cause the compiler to emit an error", then yes. The "!" operator is only defined for the boolean type in Java.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

MrLighter

Postby MrLighter » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:45 pm UTC

In school, I decided to take an introduction programming class. The programming teacher assigned us 5 hours of busy work each night ("I want you to make pseudocode and flowcharts for these 15 programs I created. Ok. Due tomorrow"), and his assignments were pointless. I finally got one of my dad's friends (Who was a professional programmer) to help me. He looked at the code I had to rewrite, said it was pointless, and was something he would never use or do, and had no purpose what so ever. I dropped the class with a total grade 30% because he would take fifty percent off any assignment with even the slightest error. Everybody failed. So, I raised hell with the school administration. They just said, "OK, you get a withdraw pass. I don't care."
WTF? Alien Nazis...

sarrel

Postby sarrel » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:45 am UTC

My 9th grade earth science teacher was a complete and total failure at teaching, and a complete creeper. He kept sneaking up on us in the dark while we were watching movies and powerpoints and stood right behind us, and waaay too close. We bareley learned anything in that class, and what we did learn we had to get out of the books, or google when the cirriculum told him to give us worksheets to fill out off the internet. He kept ranting about the most random stuff, and he changed topic mid-sentence and sometimes just stopped talking and walked off. He also kept telling people that they were good americans for some weird reason, and he kept trying to read us poetry in the middle of class.

On the other hand, you could get away with murder in that class. People were listening to ipods all class period, and he'd walk up and start talking to them, and they be nodding their head to the music or whatever, they didn't even bother hiding their headphones under their hair or anything, and he thought they were agreeing with whatever he was saying. You could probably have dragged a dead body into class and tell him it was for an experiment, and heś be like,"okay, youŕe a good american!" One kid practically spent the entire geology unit looking up "cleavage" on google and telling the teacher it was research. And he completely bought it. It was just sad. Still, glad he's gone. He was really creepy....

edit: various spelling errors.

darkspork

Postby darkspork » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:06 am UTC

MrLighter wrote:In school, I decided to take an introduction programming class. The programming teacher assigned us 5 hours of busy work each night ("I want you to make pseudocode and flowcharts for these 15 programs I created. Ok. Due tomorrow"), and his assignments were pointless. I finally got one of my dad's friends (Who was a professional programmer) to help me. He looked at the code I had to rewrite, said it was pointless, and was something he would never use or do, and had no purpose what so ever. I dropped the class with a total grade 30% because he would take fifty percent off any assignment with even the slightest error. Everybody failed. So, I raised hell with the school administration. They just said, "OK, you get a withdraw pass. I don't care."

I have a CS teacher that gives about 6-8 hours of work each night. I think I just learned the entirety of C++ in one week through tedious trial and error, plus a little help from the folks in the Coding board. He's started to let up, though. I think it's because a majority of the class dropped already.
Shameless Website Promotion: Gamma Energy
My new esoteric programming language: GLOBOL
An experiment to mess with Google Search results: HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:38 pm UTC

darkspork wrote:I think I just learned the entirety of C++

Off-topic, but it bears saying: Any time you "think you learned the entirety of" [programming language], you're probably wrong. Especially "in a week".

On-topic: I don't doubt you have a better grasp on the language than your teacher does though :-P I had an absolutely terrible teacher in high school as well. I think I learned more by teaching other students than I did from her.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:24 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote:
darkspork wrote:I think I just learned the entirety of C++

Off-topic, but it bears saying: Any time you "think you learned the entirety of" [programming language], you're probably wrong. Especially "in a week".

On-topic: I don't doubt you have a better grasp on the language than your teacher does though :-P I had an absolutely terrible teacher in high school as well. I think I learned more by teaching other students than I did from her.

How about this, if they were good programmers, they probably wouldn't be teachers.

scgtrp

Postby scgtrp » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:56 pm UTC

In high school I took a physics class where we went through 5 different teachers.
Teacher 1: quite good, I learned a lot from her but almost nobody else did. She got married and moved to southern Florida.
Teacher 2: complete crap, decided we didn't know enough about vectors and spent the entire month or so she was there going over them again and having us take notes on some diagrams which resembled fish. Also didn't know the difference between the head and tail of an arrow (which end of an archery arrow does the arrowhead go on?)
Teacher 3: Skipped 20 chapters forward, almost to the end of the book, and proceeded to try to teach a class of people who barely understood vectors about all the forces exerted by electrical charges on particles. Again, I understood but nearly nobody else did. Failed horribly and left after getting sick.
Teacher 4: Knew nothing about physics and spent the entire class playing Hangman and similar games on the board. Lasted all of one week.
Teacher 5: The administration finally noticed we weren't learning anything and split the classes that had these teachers between two other physics teachers. The one I got was pretty good, managed to get everyone to understand basic projectile motion, but the idiots in charge decided to lay him off at the end of the year. I've got no idea what happened to him but he mentioned wanting to start a business making electric cars.

I also had a racist sexist black woman as an 11th grade AP English teacher (I'm a white male) - ironically, that was the only class I ever failed, but the first AP test I ever passed. She actually wasn't that bad at teaching, but she was a real asshole. She was fired at the end of that year but I still had to retake the class next year. I'm sure I could think of plenty of others if I sat here reflecting more...

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:21 pm UTC

I hate having teachers, who are so damn bright,
They assume everyone else understands it all right,
Because through years of practice, they forget,
The reasonable amount of time they should set,
To learn something we've only gone over once,
And then whoever doesn't get it seems like a dunce.
When we've only got 4 months to learn the course,
And then revise, which'll require colossal force,
Because it's half the time we'd normally get,
And in all honesty I'm not properly set.[1]
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

darkspork

Postby darkspork » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:42 am UTC

Walter.Horvath wrote:Any time you "think you learned the entirety of" [programming language], you're probably wrong. Especially "in a week".

We had about five days to complete an assignment that required heavy use of pointers, operator overloading, virtual functions, linked lists, binary search trees, and exception handling - none of which he explained at all. 'entirety' is an exaggeration, but I have gotten to the point where I never want to see another ampersand again.
Shameless Website Promotion: Gamma Energy
My new esoteric programming language: GLOBOL
An experiment to mess with Google Search results: HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY

zeekgenateer

Postby zeekgenateer » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:27 pm UTC

My Intro to Java teacher used spaghetti logic to teach programming. He's now teaching AP CS (thank god I'm outta there) as the old teacher for it was recalled by the National Guard (think that's what it was, some military thing). I feel really bad for the students in his class. Basically when people couldn't get their code to work he would tell me to fix it. He "taught" using powerpoint presentations that a previous teacher had created.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:34 am UTC

Last year, in freshman Global Studies I (History from early humans (Australopithecus or somesuch) up until Napoleon died), my teacher was very into the 2012 Mayan Prophecy conspiracy theory. So, when History Channel aired something about it, he told us for extra credit to write an essay about it.
He then proceeded to back up the theory, about how they knew a lot about construction and astronomy.
All through his speech about it, I am thinking "If they knew that the world would end, then why didn't they know the Spanish weren't gods?"
Spoiler:

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:46 am UTC

Internetmeme wrote:All through his speech about it, I am thinking "If they knew that the world would end, then why didn't they know the Spanish weren't gods?"
I get your drift, but strictly speaking, knowledge of the one doesn't really imply knowledge of the other. Imagine someone looking back on us and asking "If they knew that objects at the quantum level behaved with both particle and wave-like properties, the why didn't they know how to deal with their inequitable distribution of wealth?" That's not really fair, see?
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:23 pm UTC

Internetmeme wrote:Last year, in freshman Global Studies I (History from early humans (Australopithecus or somesuch) up until Napoleon died), my teacher was very into the 2012 Mayan Prophecy conspiracy theory. So, when History Channel aired something about it, he told us for extra credit to write an essay about it.
He then proceeded to back up the theory, about how they knew a lot about construction and astronomy.
All through his speech about it, I am thinking "If they knew that the world would end, then why didn't they know the Spanish weren't gods?"

Solution: Write a well-founded paper on the dangers of pseudo-science and the way conspiracy theories form.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Not A Raptor

Postby Not A Raptor » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:33 pm UTC

Strictly speaking, it was the Aztecs who thought the Spanish were gods. The Mayan civilization had already collapsed by the time the Spanish got there.
Van wrote:I like simple games.

Like Wizardry.

WARNING: Is acting like NaR.
Kellsbells: NAR is a sillypants
Not_A_Raptor: :p
Kellsbells: That is my expert assessment

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:59 am UTC

Arancaytar wrote:
Internetmeme wrote:Last year, in freshman Global Studies I (History from early humans (Australopithecus or somesuch) up until Napoleon died), my teacher was very into the 2012 Mayan Prophecy conspiracy theory. So, when History Channel aired something about it, he told us for extra credit to write an essay about it.

Solution: Write a well-founded paper on the dangers of pseudo-science and the way conspiracy theories form.

I should have done that for an epic win.

Did I mention that I accidentally crashed his computer on April Fools' Day? I brought in some maps of Europe from the middle ages on a small memory card and a memory card reader. The reader was plugged in and the computer froze.
I was like "Oh Shit! I didn't get my extra credit!", then I saw the calendar. April 1st.
"April fools!"

I did not get in trouble at all, although I was banned from electronic things on his computer for the remainder of the year.
Spoiler:

GrantSolar

Postby GrantSolar » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:16 pm UTC

My A-level Computing teacher is fairly awful.
This week, we were told we were going to start learning a new language - Prolog.
Firstly, this jaratee'd me 'cos I had recently applied to University for Computer Science and mentioned how I had made an effort to learn various programming languages, Prolog in particular.
Nevertheless, the next day (today) he was showing us the compiler/IDE and was trying to get a program running. Eventually, I had to raise my hand and ask if I could do it for him.
At least he's more commited than our I.T. technicians. They're amazing at Quake...

olubunmi

Postby olubunmi » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:12 pm UTC

My average math lesson looks like this:
My math teacher writes down some examples from the book (literary) and then he writes down the solution. The brightest students point out the errors in his work (I didn't know one could make so many errors by writing down literal examples) and then he usually tells us to work independently and we must be quiet, so we can't ask classmates for a proper explanation either.
If you ask him to explain a certain assignment, he'll just write down the answer, but he can never explain how it works. We suspect he gets all answers from an internetsite and prints it out for himself, because that is what most of us do now...

Return to “School”