Teachers that cannot teach

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

defaultusername

Re: Teachers that cannot teach

Postby defaultusername » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:54 am UTC

I'm not sure I've ever had any really bad teachers, but my 6:th grade german teacher was ... somewhat interesting. For example, she would introduce herself as "My name is [name] and I speak five languages". Also, every once in a while she opened class by giving each student a 1 cm2 piece of crisp bread.
Because phlogiston.

TomKat

Postby TomKat » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:38 pm UTC

I'm a teacher and not sure if this thread reassures me (it's nice to know that there are people crappier at your job than you) or worries me that some people may have posted about me... Zoiks.

Brother Maynard

Postby Brother Maynard » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:59 pm UTC

Ahhh, high school... (Reference note: I went to a really tiny private school. The classes I refer to only had 2 people in them, including myself)

For a while I never had any really bad teachers. That changed when I hit 11th and 12th grade Science. Physics and Chemistry.

We started off with Physics, using a "conceptual" Physics book, which basically meant reducing things into words and avoiding math as much as possible. Being a person who uses mathematical relations to lay the groundwork for understanding the concepts, I got mentally screwed over by this. Though, on a weird side note, the author of the book lives in my city.

The thing that topped it off was the teacher. She had actually been a social worker the year before, and, God bless her heart, she was a compassionate person. However, as a teacher she was useless. Her method was basically that of read the text out loud to us and then do worksheets relating to it. Thus I survived thanks to the worksheets, because they had more math than the rest of the course combined. She also never bothered to stick to the order of chapters, shown best by the fact that we did Chapters 1-7, and then flashed forward to Chapter 35, on the Theory of Relativity. This sparked a two-period long argument on why exactly nothing could go faster than light, etc., between her and my classmate.

Thankfully, she went back to her old job halfway through the year and the part-time emergency replacements actually had jobs where they used the stuff they were teaching us. That was one of the best semesters I've had. The teachers (husband and wife) knew their stuff, could give practical examples, and enjoyed seeing students learn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pity that Science went downhill again next year. The teacher for Chemistry was an old fellow who, as I heard from other people, was really sad he never had kids and went into teaching so he could be around them (not in a creepy way). He'd had a lot of experience and degrees in his field. However, this was quite a while ago that he'd earned them, so invariably we'd spend 5 minutes a class on something that had changed since his days. Also as a consequence, teaching consisted of reading through the book, almost word for word, interjected with semi-connected tangents that really taught us nothing about the material and wasted time. As a result, we only finished half the book.

Same teacher: One of his other classes was scheduled to have 2 periods and a study hall session. During that session, there was a student off taking another class. However, for the better part of the first semester, this teacher used the study hall as a regular period, even assigning homework. The student that wasn't taking the class at the time had to go over the fellow's head and fight over it for a bit before things finally got to where they should be.

mbrigdan
False Alarm! There's more rum.

Postby mbrigdan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:33 am UTC

I've never really had that bad of teachers, but I have had some, one of which I had this year (i'm in grade 8, BTW)
She was our "Humanities" teacher, which meant she got 2 full periods (supposedly with a break in between) to teach us both LA and Social Studies.
She also taught enrichment, which is like Humanities, except it only gets one period, and doesn't really teach anything.
She was regarded as totally mean and petty/arrogant/whatever by anyone that actually had to deal with her. Thank god I didn't. (For the most part)
As an example:
1. Me and a friend shared notes for part of a project. To clarify, a friend gave me his notes because I didn't really want to do research.
2. We somehow manage to write the exact (almost) same essay from the notes.
3. Teacher gives us both a 0 for that part of the project.
4. This isn't really a problem for me, because I got 100% for the rest of the project, and it only drops my overall mark 2-3% or so. (At this grade level, 2-3% doesn't really matter)
5. We explain what we did to the teacher, but we still both get a zero.
6. My friend has to explain to his totally psychotic (Not to be racist or anything, but read as: Asian (Asian people don't appear to mind this stereotype, at least in my class (I have had ASIAN FAIL (<90%) shouted at my WAY to many times))) why he gets 50% on a project because he tried to help me out. >.<
7. Our teacher relents and gives us ONE day to redo that part of the project. Both me and my friend respond: (Not to her face) f**k this!

On a much better note:
Both my math and Science teacher rocked. They were awesome!

Math: One of the most laid back, accepting teachers i have ever had. One kid in my class called this other kid (not in the class) a total asshole who had no friends and the teacher's response? Thank God!
Our entire class was doing an advanced thing, where they would do both 8 and 9 math in the same year. Except for me and 4 other friends. We challenged the grade 8 final at the very start of the year, did a 20-30 question test, then moved on to doing grade 9 in about 2 months. Then we did grade 10. Which meant that the teacher would never talk to you unless you asked her about something. She actually was very helpful when you did have a problem, but expected all of us to teach ourselves, which worked out quite nicely, even if I did have to ask me engineer grandpa to help explain the Law of Cosines to me.

Science:
She was very hands on, we did some really awesome labs, and I only got in trouble once for drinking coffee that was laid out as a lab sample. Trust me, once your teacher threatens to spike all edible things in the lab with sulphuric acid, you leave the god-damned coffee alone EDIT: Can someone please put that line in their sig, i wished to be immortalized forever in the database of xkcd [/end-random-begging]. The fact that I proved her wrong with something about Ohm's law made the class fun top. She apologized to the entire class and gave us candy. Of which I was allowed to take a nice, large, handful :)
Spoiler:
TheNgaiGuy wrote:god is playing a huge trick on us and wants us to use our brains to come to the logical conclusion, even though wrong, that he doesn't exist and will send all atheists to heaven for exercising said gifts and send all theists to hell for having faith.

John O)))

Postby John O))) » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:32 am UTC

My "Honors" Biology teacher in High School was terrible, which is a shame because she had a genuine interest in the subject. Every day she would have to go over to the other Biology teacher's class room and inquire about whatever we were covering, often relaying back a butchered explanation. She wasn't the brightest person I've ever met so her brain might have just not been cut out for it, but she did mean well.

Another fault of hers was that she just tried too damn hard to be a "tough" teacher. She would give you bad marks on things just to seem like the course was difficult.

This wouldn't have been that bad if I only had to put up with it for one year, but she was my Chemistry teacher as well...

Hopefully I'm not completely overwhelmed when I have to take chem next quarter. I barely remember anything.

TomKat

Postby TomKat » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:44 pm UTC

mbrigdan wrote:On a much better note:
Both my math and Science teacher rocked. They were awesome!

Stories about good teachers are much more pleasant to read! Thanks :)

cwoodin

Postby cwoodin » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:42 am UTC

I had a chem teacher that had a tent in her office that we were convinced she slept in at night.
She didn't face the class the whole period, just wrote on the chalkboard, completely oblivious to the class - I had a friend that "got hungry" and walked out 10 minutes into class and came back from the store 40 minutes later, and she had no idea.
We were in fours around these big tables, and one of the tables on the other side of the room staged a dance party on top of their table, and she just continued with the lecture.

I heard secondhand, but apparently the year after I was in her class, some student walked in and just lost it and started yelling at her, and her response was to walk out of class crying.. :(
Normally I'd find that hard to believe, but she wasn't at school for the rest of the year, soo..

EDIT: More on the subject of "not being able to teach," same teacher spent three days on what it took me about ten minutes to read out of the textbook, so I passed the test by doing nonrelated homework for 45 minutes and catching up on the lesson for the rest.
She also wouldn't let me take tests without a calculator. One test day I forgot mine and found out as she was passing out tests that drawing a calculator on a piece of paper did NOT count.
He said he never tells a lie!
He was lying about that.

Shika7

Postby Shika7 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:59 pm UTC

Our school hired permanent substitute teachers to handle any lessons on short notice. One of the them is a complete idiot. In a Religious Studies Lessom about abortiom she claimed the babies can survive outside the womb at 12 weeks. She gets her kicks out of humilliating students.

Sasha

Postby Sasha » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:42 pm UTC

My computer teacher only did the modern Macs.

The problem is my middle school has only the elderly PCs. Most are Windows 3.1, others are senile Windows 98.
Marbas wrote:I'll usually jump from one strange thought to the next, such gems as: "I wonder if bears get depressed", "I think the sun is unnecessarily smug" and so on.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:06 pm UTC

Shika7 wrote:Our school hired permanent substitute teachers to handle any lessons on short notice. One of the them is a complete idiot. In a Religious Studies Lessom about abortiom she claimed the babies can survive outside the womb at 12 weeks. She gets her kicks out of humilliating students.

That's not just wrong, that's dangerous. Misinformation about reproduction = very very bad.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Lutetium

Postby Lutetium » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:50 pm UTC

Most of my lecturers were pretty awesome. But just last semester I had this teacher.

Dear god, that man intimidates most of the class and refuses to answer questions - instead, he just asks "what do you think?". When you are stuck on something and you can't work it out after 15 minutes it's not something you want to hear. When people speaks to him in broken English (because they are international students) he just ignores them. His classes involve him handing us a piece of paper saying "do this stuff which you have never done before", us looking up at him expecting him to explain, and him looking at us like idiots with a "well, what are you waiting for" expression. He is also incredibly unorganized, as a result I'm missing 5% off my final mark because he forgot to put it into the system after I talked to him about it twice, and wrote him two emails.

*sigh*
Last edited by Hammer on Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Name removed
I haz awesome procrastination skills, let me show you them .... laterz.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:14 pm UTC

This teacher, may she never teach again.
Last edited by Hammer on Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link and name removed
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:52 am UTC

Hey folks, can we please not name names and post links to the websites of individual teachers? Thanks.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

badgerzilla

Postby badgerzilla » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

I've had a teacher (for a medical class, mind you) who pronounces pharynx/larynx as phayrnix/layrnix. The letters aren't in that fsking order!

Additionally, on a test with a "matching" portion, she didn't scramble the answers. Meaning it turned out like

1--------a
2--------b
3--------c
4--------d
5--------e
6--------f.

On a different occasion, for a test, she simply handed out the review. Didn't even take off the "Review" in MS Word or anything- just handed out more from the same stack of paper.

God, this teacher was pathetic. I could go on and on...likely not even a teaching license-she just started teaching here because dental hygiene hurt her neck too much.
kuraimiko wrote:crap. im screwed. theres no way to fun from invisible chuck n0rris.

Per the request of the sender of that IM, that was a typo.

ohnoesmilk

Postby ohnoesmilk » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:34 am UTC

Nothing to see here.
Last edited by ohnoesmilk on Mon May 03, 2010 5:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?

Ciega

Postby Ciega » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:29 pm UTC

I had an English teacher in high school who really annoyed me. I guesss overall she wasn't a bad teacher, but she would say blatantly incorrect things and it seemed like she didn't really care. Sometimes she told us incorrect definitions to our vocabulary words. Since she's the one who chose them, I sort of expected her to know what they meant. Also she once mentioned in passing that she doesn't understand how firefighters manage to refill the fire hydrants after they use them.
For Economics senior year I had a teacher who had only started teaching that year. She was really nice and made the class fun, but she had a tendency to write awkward, vague or just bad test questions, and not check her spelling or grammar. Once I got fed up and gave sarcastic answers, for example:
Question: Why does the government create a safety net?
Answer: Because it doesn't want people to fall.
She was trying to ask about financial safety nets, like unemployment benefits and welfare....

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

Hammer wrote:Hey folks, can we please not name names and post links to the websites of individual teachers? Thanks.

She gave us a 6-year-old final exam with errors in it, and when she gave us a Scheme-logic-language (out of SICP) interpreter it wouldn't work no matter what I did to it! It didn't even compile or finish evaluating the top-level definition forms without throwing an error.

Hell, I should go back and demand she raise my grade not just a half-grade for that homework her mechanical grader misgraded, but a whole grade up to an A- because her code wouldn't run!

I've had a teacher (for a medical class, mind you) who pronounces pharynx/larynx as phayrnix/layrnix. The letters aren't in that fsking order!

I once had a math teacher who pronounced cosine not as "co-sign", but as CO-sin. It sounded like he had said "coastin'", but with no 'T'. Annoying as all hell, don't ask me why.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

jmorgan3

Postby jmorgan3 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:18 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:
I once had a math teacher who pronounced cosine not as "co-sign", but as CO-sin. It sounded like he had said "coastin'", but with no 'T'. Annoying as all hell, don't ask me why.

I had a math teacher in high school who was awesome, but he pronounced asymptote as asymtope, which is jarring if you know the correct pronunciation.

My MSE 2001 professor (well, actually some kind of substitute professor or something (I didn't think they had those)) was Swiss and had a much better grasp of physics than English. This resulted in him saying and writing the word "enthropy," which apparently meant entropy. I could tell that from context, but it was still confusing as hell.
This signature is Y2K compliant.
Last updated 6/29/108

Kilogolf

Postby Kilogolf » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:06 am UTC

so, amazing teacher.

so, for the first two years of high school I took physics. no, I didn't fail either of them, I took honors physics freshman year and AP physics sophomore year, worst decision of my life (I could not, for the life of me, understand the material... until after the test on it, then it was crystal clear. Also, it dropped my gpa down to below a 3.0, which is unacceptable).

but, I'm not here to complain about bad decisions.

anyways, for both years of physics I had this amazing teacher, Mr. Jones, who I created a facebook fan group for because he is so amazing.

anyways, he didn't believe in modern technology that much (read, "no powerpoints") so when explaining a concept that's not quantum, he would always have a physical demonstration for us, for example, to help explain that having a vacuum around something that's not without reinforcing the walls around the vacuum, he had an old mimeograph (pre-xerox copy machine) "duplication fluid" can, which he put some water in, then boiled the water, put the cap on, and let the surrounding air crush it. I have the crushed can sitting on a shelf in my room right now.

Turiski

Postby Turiski » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:41 pm UTC

I had a math teacher in high school who was awesome, but he pronounced asymptote as asymtope, which is jarring if you know the correct pronunciation.

Same, except it was a-sim-toetoe. This always sparked fits of laughter in the class, to which she would turn around and say "What happened?" English was not her first language, and it was easy to forgive her because she knew what she was talking about, actually kept the information in our heads past test day, and also had the side effect of a totally lovable personality.

As for bad teachers? Eh. Not really. My one real complaint with most teachers is that when they play favorites, it really, really bugs me. The problem is that it seems that the more I dislike a teacher, the more they tend to favor me, which produces some very awkward situations. Yes, 8th grade science, 7th grade language, 9th grade english... all of them were this way.

Most of my teachers just occasionally say stupid things, but my science teacher last (9th) year had a strange system (based on mood) of grading his labs, which was usually fine until the conclusion and evaluation, which usually got a bit interesting. I could never seem to come up with something in all three parts that satisfied him completely, except once when I just wrote a bunch of BS on the page. So I naturally tried it again that time had 3/24 points taken off (24 points for the lab; the evaluation was only 6 points). However, once I did have a thing with percentages. He tried to explain to me that if the number got larger, it was greater than 100%, but if it got smaller, then it must be negative. Not exactly. But it was such a small thing because we very rarely had labs: He was a bad teacher, but anyone who actually wanted to learn just switched over to the other one at the midterm.
Approximately 100% of my forum contribution is in Nomic threads! In fact, if you're reading this signature, you probably knew that because you're reading a Nomic thread! But did you know that I've participated in both Nomic 16.0 AND Nomic 15.0? Woah!

Hit3k

Postby Hit3k » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:15 pm UTC

My English teacher this year is absolutely awful. It is almost as if she doesn't know the curriculum. When she decides that we need to write a practice essay she picks the worst possible questions to write an essay for; or maybe I'm just terrible at English.
Sungura wrote:My mom made me watch a star wars. Two of them , actually. The Death Star one and the one where the dude ends up in the swamp with the weird guy who talks funny.

Black.Rose.Immortal

Postby Black.Rose.Immortal » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:45 am UTC

We have uni students do what I guess could be described as "work experience" at my high school. The worst ones are the English ones, and I think its contagious.

The first we had couldn't spell. I recall her marking a friends paper with "Good use of illiteration". We laughed at the irony. Just as bad was when we got one of the permanent subs who had gone back to uni to study teaching. She tried to inform our advanced English class that "To Kill A Mocking Bird" was all about racial PREJUDISM. No one had the guts to tell her that the correct form was prejudice.

We finally got our teacher back and she then went on to try and get us to read Shakespeare with each footnote read out as we read through the text. This led her to have to unknowingly embarrass herself by pronouncing heir as "hair".

The horror.
17/F/Australian/weird

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:47 am UTC

Gyahhh. This term we students somehow weren't privileged enough to know who the instructors are for our classes, and we get to find out who they are on the first day of class. This is really irritating because if we want to transfer to a different class we have to do so after the term has already started. My first class was supposed to be Thursday, but I was just informed of who the teacher is -- one of the most incompetent in the school. Now I have to get my class switched to a different schedule so I don't get this guy, which is going to add an additional day on to my school week and really mess with my schedule: on Thursdays I'll have a four-hour class at 7:30 AM and another four-hour class at 6 PM.

...Staying somewhat on topic, said teacher is infamous among the students. Apparently you leave his classes knowing more about colobus monkeys than the subject he was supposed to be teaching for the past nine weeks. Seriously... lectures on monkeys.

Edit: He even looks like a colobus monkey.

Mr_Rose

Postby Mr_Rose » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:25 am UTC

Hee, terrible teachers huh?

OK, one of my French teachers in secondary school just couldn't control a class. Any class. Even a hand-picked "all-star" class of the best, quietest, most studious pupils in the year. So they promptly promoted her to the "remedial" class...the class that regularly had individuals disappear out of the windows (mostly voluntarily, generally followed by bags, books and anything else to hand) because it was easier than the door (ground floor like, plus not next to the teacher's desk), to come back with a plate of chips from the local pizza place and eat it in class.
Not to mention that she never taught anything beyond first-year French, even to the classes that had already passed their GCSEs....

Then there was the primary school teacher that failed my poetry assignment because I used a comma to make a line better fit the meter, citing this as incorrect grammar. Please note that, in a prose piece, my comma could also have been called an "Oxford Comma". That is, not incorrect anyway, even without the extra grammatical freedom generally allowed poetry...
Microevolution is a term — when used by creationists — that is the evolutionary equivalent of the belief that the mechanism you use to walk from your bedroom to the kitchen is insufficient to get you from New York to Los Angeles.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:40 pm UTC

Kithplana wrote:Gyahhh. This term we students somehow weren't privileged enough to know who the instructors are for our classes, and we get to find out who they are on the first day of class. This is really irritating because if we want to transfer to a different class we have to do so after the term has already started. My first class was supposed to be Thursday, but I was just informed of who the teacher is -- one of the most incompetent in the school. Now I have to get my class switched to a different schedule so I don't get this guy, which is going to add an additional day on to my school week and really mess with my schedule: on Thursdays I'll have a four-hour class at 7:30 AM and another four-hour class at 6 PM.

All large classes at my uni work this way every semester. The class entries in our registration system just get marked "Taught by STAFF". Well fuckin-A, thanks for telling me that a school staff member will teach my class!

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:36 pm UTC

Mr_Rose wrote:Then there was the primary school teacher that failed my poetry assignment because I used a comma to make a line better fit the meter, citing this as incorrect grammar. Please note that, in a prose piece, my comma could also have been called an "Oxford Comma". That is, not incorrect anyway, even without the extra grammatical freedom generally allowed poetry...

Huh, I guess I would have failed that class then, as I usually put commas before "and"s. In fact, a lot of people do that around here, and I've never heard about any superstition dealing with punctuation marks before "and" (other than, of course, you don't start a sentence with it).

suzebat

Postby suzebat » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:16 am UTC

My senior year Economics and Government teacher was absolutely the worst.

She knew her material, but had a knack for alienating all of her students that prevented us from learning as much as we might have otherwise. Had the worst superiority complex I've ever seen. By her own admission, she did not like kids, and we always wondered why she'd become a teacher to begin with. She'd complain constantly - about other teachers, about other students, about her home life, yadda yadda yadda. She would pick on students, and she was very touchy (she once suddenly stopped teaching to yell at a girl for "looking at her funny" : she had simply been keeping her eyes focused on the teacher as she was lecturing, which is what we've always been taught is the correct thing to do). She'd casually call us things like "stupid" to our faces and saw no problem with that attitude. Also, she would (fairly often) forget to tell the class about a particular requirement for an assignment, and then launch into an angry rant when nobody had prepared that particular thing. This is one of those teachers who even her colleagues, hesitant to say a bad word against another teacher, would sympathize with students over.

One time, when a student approached her and said that we (as a group) had felt disrespected and insulted by some of the things she'd said to us that day, she stood up in front of the class and announced, "I'm the teacher, I don't have to show you any respect. You only have to respect me, it doesn't go both ways." (Making it obvious that she's never read our school's "Mission Statement," which actually uses the phrase "mutual respect.")

Another time, I overheard her having a conversation with another teacher that appeared to be upsetting even the other teacher. She said, "...(his) guidance counselor tried to call me for a parent-student-teacher meeting. I told her no; why should I have to meet with the student? We're not sitting down as if we're equals..."

...but boy, did I finally say everything I'd ever wanted to say to that woman (minus a few expletives, of course) on the last day of the course. I told her that her disrespect for her students was shocking, and that I felt that I hadn't learned all that I could because of her hostility, and that any students who (she claimed) were disruptive might be more inclined to obey if she didn't treat them so poorly without any provocation, etc., etc ... I made sure to say everything carefully phrased and evenly toned, so that if she chose to try and make an issue out of it, that I would be able to truthfully say that I hadn't done anything against rules or decorum. She didn't, though; it turned out that several parents had placed similar letters/phone calls to our school's principal, who promised that they're trying to deal with her (though she has tenure). We'll see what happens; I plan on staying updated on this woman, easily the worst teacher of my high school career.

Yusuke

Postby Yusuke » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:22 pm UTC

"This is no time for individuality, you must conform" - My precalculus teacher while explaining the ridiculous format she wanted test answers in.

It wasn't so much that she couldn't teach as much as it was... she was a Nazi. Also what she was teaching was clearly the highest level of math she knew.
Colonel Alloy wrote:If life was a disease, it'd be sexually transmitted, with a 100% mortality rate.

Sour Apple

Postby Sour Apple » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:50 pm UTC

cwoodin wrote:She didn't face the class the whole period, just wrote on the chalkboard, completely oblivious to the class - I had a friend that "got hungry" and walked out 10 minutes into class and came back from the store 40 minutes later, and she had no idea.
We were in fours around these big tables, and one of the tables on the other side of the room staged a dance party on top of their table, and she just continued with the lecture.

See, that kind of teacher is lame, but at least tolerable. My physics teacher sucked because he did the whole ramble-nonsensically-and-write-on-chalkboard, but then he'd whip around and make sure no one was dozing off or talking behind his back. I think he knew how boring he was and thought if he didn't keep an eye out, this would become nap hour.
Who I am. [Apparently this isn't obvious: I'm a chick, a bird, a female of your species.]

VislorTurlough

Postby VislorTurlough » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:18 pm UTC

Freshman year I had a Spanish teacher who was absolutely ridiculous and insane.
some stories about her:
she once spent an entire class talking about how because her husband is iraqi, she and her husband have to "sneak into movies, just like the gays", and therefore the two black kids in our class do not understand racism.

another time, she dressed up in a gorilla suit, and spent the class making one of the students introduce her as jorge, and then have people talk to her... in english!

she also has a minnie mouse doll that she brings out on random occasions. the worst was when, half way through the final, she brings it out, and makes every one say 'hola minnie' and then tells us that minnie wishes us good luck... causing everyone to lose their place and get distracted

she also had an auction at the end of the year (with the stickers she gave us throughout the year) in which everyone was called up. I was one of the last ones called, and the only thing that was left that i had any interest in was a jar of salsa. When I got home, I found out that it had expired a year and a half ago (not exagerating, I promise).

on one oral exam, she told us the previous day that she would give us one of the pictures from the book which we had to talk about for two minutes to a computer (our school wasted lots of money on a 'language lab' where we all talk for a few minutes to microphones, but the acoustics are awful, so you can barely hear yourself and hear too much of the people around you), but anyways, on the test, she didn't give us a picture, and just said go. no one had any idea what to do, and when asked for a picture, she said "well, you should have studied". then she gave everyone an F.

on oral vocab exams other times, she would be rediculously easy, and if you didn't know and hesitated on a word (lets say it was molestar (to annoy)), she would go "mol..... mole.... molesta......" and if you answered it with those hints you still got credit..

she has also told us that "coppying homework is like lying to god"

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:51 pm UTC

I had a physics teacher in grade 10 who was a nice enough lady, young - only a year or so out of uni (well she says she did a physics degree but I'm not so sure) - she had obviously forgotten a lot of what was taught...
We were doing a unit on electricity & circuits. The whole way through the term, she was constantly contradicting the textbook, she would give wrong examples and refused to answer any queries we had about questions she set in class or for homework. "Figure it out yourselves"
Yes well if we knew how to do that we would have. The whole class has been stuck on this question for about 20mins. Will it kill you to actually teach us how to do something we don't understand?!
Now she wrote our end of semester exam, so we expecting to only have stuff she had taught us. But the lesson before the exam (2 days before the exam) she gave us a revision sheet that had numerous things we hadn't covered. And then told us that a basic concept she'd taught us was actually the opposite to what she'd said.
By this stage our class was freaking out and had no idea what was the right answer for anything. And we knew some of the things she'd taught us were wrong, but didn't want to right the correct answer down, because she had set/was marking the test.

Luckily, the night before the test I was able to find a website that explained everything in a fantastically easy (and correct) way, so after a few hours of studying it was okay. Turns out she had to leave before she marked the tests anyway, so another teacher that actually knew something about physics marked them.
But so many people failed because they didn't understand or were confused about half the things on the exam.

But all was okay because the next year we got the best physics teacher ever :mrgreen:
If all the village idiots, from all the villages, came together to form their own village, of idiots - in that village, you would be the village idiot

megabnx

Postby megabnx » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:15 am UTC

My eight grade Earth Science teacher was one of those people that just wasn't ever cut out for teaching. Try as she might, she never understood what she was doing, and just made up explanations for things as they want. The result was a series of increasingly insane statements that concluded with this jewel of insight about the Doppler Effect.
Think for an example about what happens with an ambulance siren. You'll notice that as it approaches you, you can notice a definite change in its pitch, and thus its frequency. This change is a result of the fact that the ambulance is indeed going faster than the speed of the sound coming out of it.

Immediately after saying this, the one kid who was paying enough attention to catch this gem screamed out "Mach one Ambulance!" The teacher never found out what was so funny about it...

When I told this to my (competent) physics teacher later on, he just sat down and bowed his head down for a moment of silence.

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:54 pm UTC

My guitar teacher last year- he's SO nice. But he just doesn't explain things, doesn't slow down. He knows how the play but we don't, and none of us passed. No matter how much we practiced. He's one of my favorite teachers but he kinda fails at teaching.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

ks_physicist

Postby ks_physicist » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:54 am UTC

I'm moving into a more inquiry-based mode of teaching, and I have students who are so ingrained with the lecture/regurgitation method that they are very resistant.

They complain that I'm not explaining things, and they just want me to explain things. They don't like having to work for their knowledge--they just want me to give them answers. Well, I'm not here to give answers, I'm here to facilitate learning and to help people become competent leaners. Most of the time, extensive explanations and just "giving answers" are not effective means to those ends.

Maybe

Postby Maybe » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:54 am UTC

My German/Chemistry teacher was seriously not the right kind of person to teach in a High School.
My Math teacher was an english major, math minor.
My English teacher was a math major, english minor.
My Pre-Calculus/Physics/Algebra teacher always sounded angry but he was super nice...
Only problem was, he was a history major.
One of the Janitors had a degree in Psychology and theoretical physics.
My biology teacher was allergic to latex.
Boba Fett is my bro...ba... Fett..?

Brother Maynard

Postby Brother Maynard » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:09 pm UTC

VislorTurlough wrote:Freshman year I had a Spanish teacher who was absolutely ridiculous and insane.
on one oral exam, she told us the previous day that she would give us one of the pictures from the book which we had to talk about for two minutes to a computer (our school wasted lots of money on a 'language lab' where we all talk for a few minutes to microphones, but the acoustics are awful, so you can barely hear yourself and hear too much of the people around you), but anyways, on the test, she didn't give us a picture, and just said go. no one had any idea what to do, and when asked for a picture, she said "well, you should have studied". then she gave everyone an F.

What. The. HELL!?

AntonGarou

Postby AntonGarou » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:22 am UTC

My lecturer for Set Theory and calculus courses(he taught them both)- a very nice man, but he simply had no aptitude for teaching.I was lucky in that I had some prior background so I managed to pass the first course rather easily and the second with a moderate amount of work.For people with no prior background it was pure torture.
I'm not nitpicking, I'm quarkpicking!

cleverdan

Postby cleverdan » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:29 pm UTC

I remember one memorable moment from the tenth grade when my science teacher walked in, announced she had Shark Week and would not be teaching today, and not to screw with her.

My current phys/chem/maths teachers are great though.

Cooley

Postby Cooley » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:08 am UTC

haha, my junior year english teacher in high school... English Lit.

We had two papers, that I don't think he graded. and the finals. and if you tried, that was good enough.

So this fight between two girls broke out in his class, and he got really pissed (he's like the head karate guy in america right now), so he wrote up a behavior contract for everyone to sign, but me and my best friend got out of it because we bought his book and asked him to sign it. Best. Teacher. Ever.

I just wish I knew what an english literature WAS... it's confounded me for far too long.

Skwee

Postby Skwee » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:25 pm UTC

9th Grade business management/personal finance teacher: This man was by far the worst, most arrogant, most incompetent teacher I have dealt with so far in my school career. I was placed in business management because business law was filled. Aside from one other freshman, a Chinese exchange student, & two girls who moved to the school in the middle of the course, all the students were either seniors who had already been accepted to college or kids on the football team whose grades in other classes were abysmal & took the class to boost their GPA.
1. Mr. X cannot talk without going on a tangent. He would start with a discussion on the comparative advantages & disadvantages of a partnership & end on a rant about how everyone who disagrees with him is a godless socialist & should move to North Korea.
2. He taught directly out of the book. We would read the assigned chapter out loud, then copy the vocab, then do worksheets from the book, then take the test, then start over. There was nothing, save perhaps a movie that was completely unrelated to the class, in between.
3. The most laughable tests in the world. I remember that a test in the personal finance course had questions on 1943 pennies, the origins of the word "piggy bank", & when "In God We Trust" was placed on the coins.
4. Inability to explain anything in under ten minutes. He once called me into the hall. Basically, he said "You're handwriting is illegible, so I'm giving you permission to type your homework." It took him ten minutes.
5. Inability to control his class. Two kids once threw paper, pencils, & cardboard into the radiator. It screeched to the point we couldn't hear him, but nothing was done. I nearly got my hand taken off trying to get them out of the radiator.
6. Racism & sexism. He would spend half of class harping on the "Asians are so smart" stereotype as the reason that our exchange student got such high grades. He managed to find a way to blame the fact that several students had been caught with pot in their lockers on feminism. This isn't the worst of it though:
Because he had absolutely no control over his class, kids would often go on his computer & play games if he left the room for five minutes. When the white students did it, he just shooed them away, but all hell broke loose when the black kid did it. Mr. X was shouting at the top of his lungs, right in this boy's face.

Substitute Biology teacher: Our regular teacher was at a meeting, so we were supervised by another biology teacher. That day, we'd been given several pages of worksheets on taxonomy. One of them was a dichotomous key: It had pictures of more than a dozen different cartilaginous fishes which we had to identify. My lab partner & I identified the obvious ones like the hammerhead first, but got stuck on a pair of rays.
I brought the worksheet to her desk. "Mrs. Y, we're having a hard time with these two-"
"Do it in order."
"What?"
"Start with the first one, then work to the others. You did them all out of order."

Return to “School”