Applications 2008

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Alpha Omicron

Applications 2008

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:14 pm UTC

Here's a thread to complain, rant, brag, stress-out and otherwise talk about this season's batch of college/university applications.

The mods may wish the merge a few things into here.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Re: Applications 2008

Postby william » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:36 pm UTC

:oops:
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

TRM

Postby TRM » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:39 pm UTC

Waiting sucks. Hard.
PandaFluff wrote:I learned a few lessons from this... Don't trust epiphanies that come from a General Ecology lecture.

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:40 pm UTC

Oh gods I don't even want to think about it. I'll just tell myself this thread is about job applications.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:47 pm UTC

Based on some other threads, it seems that USAsian students are already receiving offers of admission and so forth.

This is interesting as this does not happen for me for at least a month or so (I forget how the deadline system works exactly).
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Hoags

Postby Hoags » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:55 pm UTC

I recently got my university applications back. I'm in the UK, and got offers from all five of my university applications, which was pretty nice. Now the hard part will be meeting the grades I need.

*Studies.*

TRM

Postby TRM » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:56 pm UTC

Hoags wrote:I recently got my university applications back. I'm in the UK, and got offers from all five of my university applications, which was pretty nice. Now the hard part will be meeting the grades I need.

*Studies.*

Where did you apply and for what course?
PandaFluff wrote:I learned a few lessons from this... Don't trust epiphanies that come from a General Ecology lecture.

Hoags

Postby Hoags » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:08 pm UTC

I'm applying for Computer Science at Birmingham, Nottingham, Leicester, Coventry and Lancaster. I realise that these aren't necessarily the "top" universities, but factors such as how much I like the town, the proximity to home, and my chances of actually getting in also played their hand in which I chose to apply to. The offers I got back ranged from ABC to CCC.

The one I have my heart set on is Birmingham. It's a fantastic town and university, and The Guardian ranked the Computer Science department 10th best last year. I need A B C to get in, so I'm crossing my fingers for that. Hopefully if I don't get the grades I need, after severely kicking myself, I'll attempt to get in through clearing.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:12 pm UTC

I've applied for philosophy and psychology at Heythrop College (part of the University of London), Durham, and Nottingham. I have an offer (280 points, which I will easily get as long as I don't completely stop trying) from Heythrop, not heard anything from the other two yet.

Luckily, I want to go to Heythrop, so the others aren't terribly important. :P
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:18 pm UTC

I should really get it together and finish sending my applications...

Already been rejected from Oxford (apparently I'm not even worth interviewing :(), and I didn't get into MIT or Caltech last year (it's going well for me, isn't it) but I'm going to reapply to both. Thinking of putting Imperial, UCL and King's College London on my UCAS form but I'm not 100% on that yet.
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

Klye

Postby Klye » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:39 pm UTC

Did anyone apply to UTexas?
Or an architecture school?
Or both?
Phi wrote: Be careful when touching it though. It really expands.

Why would she say that?!?

TRM

Postby TRM » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:51 pm UTC

Hoags wrote:I'm applying for Computer Science at Birmingham, Nottingham, Leicester, Coventry and Lancaster. I realise that these aren't necessarily the "top" universities, but factors such as how much I like the town, the proximity to home, and my chances of actually getting in also played their hand in which I chose to apply to. The offers I got back ranged from ABC to CCC.

The one I have my heart set on is Birmingham. It's a fantastic town and university, and The Guardian ranked the Computer Science department 10th best last year. I need A B C to get in, so I'm crossing my fingers for that. Hopefully if I don't get the grades I need, after severely kicking myself, I'll attempt to get in through clearing.

Cool, I'm applying to Leicester as well.

I hear Bham's great as well. Lots of my friends are applying there.

Good luck :)!

zingmaster

Postby zingmaster » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:03 pm UTC

Hahahahahahahaha...

I can only laugh at all of you because I went through that same hell last year.
You get 500 xp.
You collect:
1 :lol: HOBO BONUS :lol:
1 :idea: CHAOS BONUS :idea:
1 rusty dagger

Hold on Dreamaway
You're my sweet charade

Felgraf

Postby Felgraf » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:28 pm UTC

I went through that nerve-wracking experience earlier this year/at the end of last year, when I applied for Graduate School. THAT was fun. Especially when it looked like I wasn't going to get in anywhere, and would need to find a job for a year until I could re-apply...
"What can the harvest hope for, but for the care of the reaper man?" -Death, from Terry Pratchett's Reaper Man

Vichyssoise

Postby Vichyssoise » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:45 pm UTC

I am in the UK and am applying at the moment, I have applied to the following,

Edinburgh University - Medicine - Still waiting
Manchester University - Medicine - Interviewed awaiting response
Glasgow University - Medicine - Interview on Tuesday 18th December
Aberdeen University - Medicine - Still Waiting
Edinburgh University - Neuroscience - Conditional Offer BBB

Reason they are at universities all north of me is actually coincidence because they are some of the only universities which do not require A2 biology to study medicine.

Antimatter Spork

Postby Antimatter Spork » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:48 pm UTC

I'm going to join the "did that last year" club. But yeah, I empathize with you all. Applying to college does suck.

I probably had it a bit easier than you lot, since, as a music student, the actual written application matters less when compared to the audition.

(though I did get completely freaked out about auditions).
Albert Schweitzer wrote:There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.

TRM

Postby TRM » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:51 pm UTC

Vichyssoise wrote:I am in the UK and am applying at the moment, I have applied to the following,

Edinburgh University - Medicine - Still waiting
Manchester University - Medicine - Interviewed awaiting response
Glasgow University - Medicine - Interview on Tuesday 18th December
Aberdeen University - Medicine - Still Waiting
Edinburgh University - Neuroscience - Conditional Offer BBB

Reason they are at universities all north of me is actually coincidence because they are some of the only universities which do not require A2 biology to study medicine.

I'm assuming they just wanted A2 chemistry mainly then? Great choices though; I've heard Manchester has a great biomedical science department (hence their abundance of biomed/biotech degrees and their RAE rating), though I'm not sure if that has anything to do with their med course anyway.

Vichyssoise

Postby Vichyssoise » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:53 pm UTC

A2 chemistry is required by all of them yes.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:01 am UTC

I only applied to one uni - the worst in the state, according to recent statistics - because I'm too pussy to leave my home town. I'm not a bit stressed about it though, because the course I applied for only asked for an OP 9, and I got a 3. Applying for jobs is FAR more stressful in my case (because, again, I'm a pussy- and great marks don't directly reflect a good worker) I'm 17 and am yet to have a part-time job.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:26 am UTC

zingmaster wrote:Hahahahahahahaha...

I can only laugh at all of you because I went through that same hell last year.

Indeed :D.

Getting rejected from 6/9 schools you apply to =/= fun. But it's ok, I love where I am now (Wesleyan University if anyone cares).

zingmaster

Postby zingmaster » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:59 am UTC

Antimatter Spork wrote:I'm going to join the "did that last year" club. But yeah, I empathize with you all. Applying to college does suck.

I probably had it a bit easier than you lot, since, as a music student, the actual written application matters less when compared to the audition.

(though I did get completely freaked out about auditions).

Nice, another music major. But see, the problem with applying for music is that we have to leave ourselves a lot of room for error. See, music is extremely subjective. Audition judges could love a mediocre person one day and hate a phenomenal player the next. There are too many things which factor into music auditions. It's like how I was rejected from Northwestern, but accepted at Carnegie Mellon. Some things just don't match up.

So what we miss in terms of written apps, we make up for in quantity and auditions.
You get 500 xp.
You collect:
1 :lol: HOBO BONUS :lol:
1 :idea: CHAOS BONUS :idea:
1 rusty dagger

Hold on Dreamaway
You're my sweet charade

Cai

Postby Cai » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:04 am UTC

:evil:

I am still working on getting my applications out. I heard that 1989 was like one of the highest amount of babies born in the US, so college is harder to get into this year. Ya buncha jerks, I was born in 1990!

I'm applying to all liberal arts schools (except one, Drexel):
Beloit College
Dickinson College
Drexel University
Eugene Lang The New School For Liberal Arts
Hampshire College
Haverford College
Kenyon College
Oberlin College
Dreamers never live, only dream of it.
first.am

Antimatter Spork

Postby Antimatter Spork » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:24 am UTC

Cai wrote:I am still working on getting my applications out. I heard that 1989 was like one of the highest amount of babies born in the US, so college is harder to get into this year. Ya buncha jerks, I was born in 1990!

What? If you think it's hard now, you should have tried applying WITH all the '89ers instead of after us.

(seriously though, my class was like 20 people bigger than they thought it was going to be. They ran out of room in some of the required classes for my major because there were so many people. (They ended up creating an extra section, but still))
Albert Schweitzer wrote:There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.

Piper

Postby Piper » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:33 am UTC

I get my year 12 results tomorrow. Starting to be a little nervous, was sick the day of the (top level) maths exam so didn't do as well as I would have liked. Catch is i need a national score of 99 for the course (an advanced science course at ANU) I want, but the way my state marks (with scaling) means I need to get a state score of 115 out of 100.

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:53 am UTC

Silver2Falcon wrote:Getting rejected from 6/9 schools you apply to =/= fun. But it's ok, I love where I am now (Wesleyan University if anyone cares).

Where else did you apply? Do you like it there? :D

I don't understand Caltech. I mean... it's middle 50% of SAT math scores range from 780-800. Blargh.

I'm applying to Wesleyan, Amherst, Tufts, Brown, and Lewis and Clark. Go on, guess which is the safety ;)
Felstaff wrote:
Okita wrote:"What are you up to?"

"Attempting to save the free world and preserve Democracy...without Liza"
But...But [that would] just be announcing you're definitely about to fail.

Siggistef

Postby Siggistef » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:23 am UTC

I was wondering the other day. It has been a life long dream getting into MIT. Since I'm a sensible person I didn't apply but now I'm studying Mechanical Engineering at the University of Iceland. I know quite alot of people who have taken their masters degree at MIT. Any idea how hard it is to get in there to take a masters degree?

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:48 am UTC

I think I'm as nervous of getting accepted as not. At 33, I've just applied to do a Master of Finance course. I think I can do it, I'm interested in it and I could certainly use the money. But when I wake in the middle of the night to go to the loo, I then lay awake thinking, "Are you insane? You can't do a Master of Finance course!" It doesn't help that my fiance has just started an MBA, we both work full-time and we're currently renovating and planning a wedding and kids...

Good luck anyone who's still waiting :)
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

Siggistef

Postby Siggistef » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:58 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:I think I'm as nervous of getting accepted as not. At 33, I've just applied to do a Master of Finance course. I think I can do it, I'm interested in it and I could certainly use the money. But when I wake in the middle of the night to go to the loo, I then lay awake thinking, "Are you insane? You can't do a Master of Finance course!" It doesn't help that my fiance has just started an MBA, we both work full-time and we're currently renovating and planning a wedding and kids...

Good luck anyone who's still waiting :)

My mother at 50 is taking her masters degree along with my father at 55 in economics, while working. If they can do it i'm sure you can :D

To_Boldly_Split

Postby To_Boldly_Split » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:37 pm UTC

liza wrote:
Silver2Falcon wrote:Getting rejected from 6/9 schools you apply to =/= fun. But it's ok, I love where I am now (Wesleyan University if anyone cares).

I don't understand Caltech. I mean... it's middle 50% of SAT math scores range from 780-800. Blargh.

I'm applying to Wesleyan, Amherst, Tufts, Brown, and Lewis and Clark. Go on, guess which is the safety ;)

Lewis and Clark is a quality school, I know a lot of teachers and students there. What do you want to study?

I am applying for a transfer to Knox. I'm not even going to THINK about how much it costs until I get accepted, which I need pretty phenomenal grades this year to do. It's pretty nerve wracking, just not knowing what I'm going to do if I don't get accepted. I am completely unhappy where I am now, so it seems like Knox is my only hope.
"I'm so hip, I can barely see over my pelvis"

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:57 pm UTC

liza wrote:

I was rejected from Swarthmore, Amherst, Williams, Bowdoin, Haverford, and waitlisted for Colby College.
I got into Wesleyan, the University of Rochester (this isn't easy to get into and I wouldn't have minded going here but it's too close to home), and my really safety school that I honestly can't remember the name of right now :?.

I didn't actually know much about Wesleyan when I applied, but after getting in there (and not my first few choices) and looking at it a lot more I realized it probably would have been a tie for first place with Swarthmore anyway, so I was happy with just getting in there. It saved me any agonizing choices.

Anyway, I love it here, and would be glad to answer any questions you (or anyone else) has.

Also, and this is for everyone, interview everywhere you can. If you live far away see if you can do an alumni interview. I'm pretty sure my interview is what got me into Wesleyan, and my one at the University of Rochester I think helped a lot as well. Make sure you're prepared for your interviews, too. Make sure you can talk about your interests, your activities, your community, your parent's jobs, and current events. Different interviews can be very, very different. Some are much more lighthearted, some are much more serious, and it's going to depend both on the person doing the interview and on the college. Be prepared for everything, and dress nicely.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:37 am UTC

Siggistef wrote:
Amarantha wrote:...I then lay awake thinking, "Are you insane? You can't do a Master of Finance course!"...

My mother at 50 is taking her masters degree along with my father at 55 in economics, while working. If they can do it i'm sure you can :D

hehe
Thanks for the vote of confidence - that actually does make me feel better :)

lamarguerite

Postby lamarguerite » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:42 am UTC

Eh.
Probably this is yet another example of my apathetic approach to life, but I'm not very stressed out about the decisions. I'm fairly sure I'll get into at least one of three Universities of California that aren't my safety, and I'm guaranteed into my safety school, so that there's not even a remote chance of not making it.

I just got rejected from Stanford. Honestly, I didn't particularly want to go, and this saved me the trouble of thinking of a rational reason for not accepting.

So... sorry to all of you in stress, I hope it passes soon.

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:59 am UTC

To_Boldly_Split wrote:Lewis and Clark is a quality school, I know a lot of teachers and students there. What do you want to study?

Oh, cool! It's always nice to find fellow Oreganos on the fora :) As far as safety schools go, L&C is a pretty decent one. If I go there, I'll probably study environmental science (any where else, astronomy).
Silver2Falcon wrote:I was rejected from Swarthmore, Amherst, Williams, Bowdoin, Haverford, and waitlisted for Colby College.
I got into Wesleyan, the University of Rochester (this isn't easy to get into and I wouldn't have minded going here but it's too close to home), and my really safety school that I honestly can't remember the name of right now :?.

I didn't actually know much about Wesleyan when I applied, but after getting in there (and not my first few choices) and looking at it a lot more I realized it probably would have been a tie for first place with Swarthmore anyway, so I was happy with just getting in there. It saved me any agonizing choices.

Anyway, I love it here, and would be glad to answer any questions you (or anyone else) has.

Also, and this is for everyone, interview everywhere you can. If you live far away see if you can do an alumni interview. I'm pretty sure my interview is what got me into Wesleyan, and my one at the University of Rochester I think helped a lot as well. Make sure you're prepared for your interviews, too. Make sure you can talk about your interests, your activities, your community, your parent's jobs, and current events. Different interviews can be very, very different. Some are much more lighthearted, some are much more serious, and it's going to depend both on the person doing the interview and on the college. Be prepared for everything, and dress nicely.

I don't have any questions, but I would love to go to Wesleyan. I really liked it when I was there. I did an interview, and it went... weirdly. I wasn't too serious about it, so I asked about the seasonal changes and we talked about squirrels and Taoism. I don't know.
Felstaff wrote:
Okita wrote:"What are you up to?"

"Attempting to save the free world and preserve Democracy...without Liza"
But...But [that would] just be announcing you're definitely about to fail.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:49 am UTC

Last year it was interesting for me, because I was applying for courses where the highest score needed for getting in was about 20 points lower than what I thought I would get. (on a percentile rank from 1-100 or people who passed) I ended up getting higher than I thought I would too, so I was kinda safe. This year it looks like one of the people who finished high school will get into his second preference course, which happens to be at the uni I go to.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

BNOOOOGERS

Postby BNOOOOGERS » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:03 am UTC

/necro
I hate supplements to the common application.
Seriously, who wants to get peer reviews, write an extra crop of three 250 word minimum essays and another 8 short answer (actually short! only 300 characters) prompts?
Not me.
And that is only for one university out of the 4 that use the common app + supplement.
At this point I am (half) seriously considering not going to college so I can dodge the applications.

GuitarFreak

Postby GuitarFreak » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:24 am UTC

I applied to Penn State in early september and I got an email saying that I won't hear back from them til the end of January :( Got nothing from carnegie mellon though...
Cooler than a bose-einstein condensate
Bakemaster wrote:I went to high school with a girl whose middle name was Nguyen and whose last name was Huynh. It was a win-win situation.

Spoffin

Postby Spoffin » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:04 am UTC

Cassi wrote:I've applied for philosophy and psychology at Heythrop College (part of the University of London), Durham, and Nottingham. I have an offer (280 points, which I will easily get as long as I don't completely stop trying) from Heythrop, not heard anything from the other two yet.

I'm at Heythrop! But I guess I'll be left by the time you get there. I'll leave you some buried treasure in the radiator cupboard on the third floor. For real, first cupboard as you come up the right hand staircase (you'll figure it out).

I'm looking at going somewhere American for MA philosophy at the moment. NYU, Columbia and Stanford are top of the list. But that'll be for '09.
The thing to remember about Spoffin is that he's playing by rules no one else understands

Diceman

Postby Diceman » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:11 am UTC

I'm waiting to hear about a Junior-level Interdisciplinary project I applied to in October. I could be going to Costa Rica, Washington DC or an island off the coast of Cape Cod. No idea what the project will be yet either.

I wish you all the best, and a note of hope: Even if you don't make it into your first choice school, there's always hope that you can transfer into it from any other school (even a community college). I've taken classes at 3 different schools, and it's really quite easy to be involved in anything you want, whenever you want. The best way to get accepted for transfer is to get high grades, but it generally doesn't matter too much which classes those grades are in. I've heard stories about kids studying for a year at a community college and then transferring to Harvard on full scholarship! It's also waaaaaay cheaper to get the junk classes (english, calculus, basic chem, etc) done at a community college for $2000 a year, and then transferring to your primary school for the second two years. 30k - 50k takes far less time to pay off than 100k does.

Again, best of luck to all!

~ Dice
Ha! You actually selected it! Sucker. Nothing funny here.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:34 pm UTC

Spoffin wrote:
Cassi wrote:I've applied for philosophy and psychology at Heythrop College (part of the University of London), Durham, and Nottingham. I have an offer (280 points, which I will easily get as long as I don't completely stop trying) from Heythrop, not heard anything from the other two yet.

I'm at Heythrop! But I guess I'll be left by the time you get there. I'll leave you some buried treasure in the radiator cupboard on the third floor. For real, first cupboard as you come up the right hand staircase (you'll figure it out).

Oooh, have you liked it there? Is London as hideously expensive and difficult to live in as everyone keeps telling me? :P
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Julie

Postby Julie » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:58 am UTC

I applied/am applying to (in order of preference) Johns Hopkins University, Gettysburg College, Skidmore College, and American University.

I don't hear back from any until March... just submitted my JHU application today, now for the wait. I should have done early decision.

I feel sort of guilty, because my second choice and safety school (Gettysburg) is a first choice/stretch school for a lot of people. I'm 99% sure that I'll get in there, though, which is why it's a safety.

Return to “School”