Applications 2008

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Cassi

Re: Applications 2008

Postby Cassi » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:32 pm UTC

I have an offer from Durham (Josephine Butler), AAB. Don't really plan to go there, but will go on the open day anyway.
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:46 pm UTC

It isn't for college, but I figure it still applies...

There were about 600 seniors in meteorology at the AMS student conference a few weeks ago. There, we were told that there would be less then 300 entry level jobs in meteorology opening this year.

Well, balls.
"If I had a nickel for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke." Stephen Colbert

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:10 pm UTC

Hah, got my offer from Warwick! BBB, so yah boo sucks to Exeter.

That rounds out 5 out of 5 offers, quite pleased about that.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Lord Bob

Postby Lord Bob » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:27 am UTC

I got conditional acceptance from the U of A, but Grant Macewan (which was to be my safety) turned me down. Go figure. I should really think about applying somewhere else "just in case".
Damn, I thought it was only surrounded by 14 mines...

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:50 pm UTC

Offers are in from Brock and McMaster, still waiting on Waterloo (who are apparently notorious for sending them at the very second before the deadline).
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Phillip

Postby Phillip » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:51 pm UTC

PhD (Computer Science) Acceptance Update: Purdue, Indiana University-Bloomington, Georgia Tech

:)

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:00 am UTC

fukiyo wrote:Waiting to hear back from University of Washington: Seattle. Worried because while I did awesome on my ACTs, I was a very mediocre high school student.

Despite meeting the priority deadline back in October, I still don't find out till April sometime, theoretically. I really hope I find out sooner, seeing as it would be nice to have a school to go to before I start finding an apartment to move to. Going for a Digital Art and Experimental Media major. Only college I know of with a major of that sort.

You applied to UW in October and still haven't heard? :shock: I applied November 26th and found out like December 17th. Well, fingers crossed for you! What I really want to know about is Honors. My friend already got accepted to Honors last week. Ugh.

I just would really like to know where I am going to college. UW is the only school I have heard back from yet and I would like to have all my options out before I make my decision. The worst part is that I will definitely find out at least one of my top choices ON my birthday. Which could make it a very happy or a very sad day. :(
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

GCM

Postby GCM » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:04 pm UTC

by TRM on Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:39 pm UTC

Waiting sucks. Hard.

Amen, brother.

I've already been accepted into a couple of schools of the few I applied to (one's official, the others an email from a legacy intern with congrats). Right now, I'm waiting on the University of Michigan. Really hope I get in; I want to try informatics there. There's the RC there as well, which is another big point. Plus bonus; my aunt and uncle (who went there) live about 15 minutes away!

SAT of 1990, 5As, 1B and 4Cs in high school, and my teacher told me she put mostly very good or excellent in her recommendation (actually, is that legal?) Right now doing A-Levels. Anyone think I can get in? Anyone been there for undergrad?

Also, does anyone know of international students transferring to other schools?
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

NathanielJ

Postby NathanielJ » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:09 am UTC

For my PhD (in math) I applied to Waterloo, Guelph, McMaster and McGill. I have only heard back from McGill and Guelph so far, and McGill expected me to reply by Feb. 29, so I had to pass them by.
Homepage: http://www.njohnston.ca
Conway's Game of Life: http://www.conwaylife.com

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:43 am UTC

kellsbells wrote:You applied to UW in October and still haven't heard? :shock: I applied November 26th and found out like December 17th.

Phew. You freaked me out for a second there. Apparently there is more than one university referred to as "UW" (which I suppose is fairly obvious).
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

stockpot

Postby stockpot » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:33 am UTC

It makes it even harder that this discussion is written rather than spoken. The university to which fukiyo and kellsbells applied is written as "UW" but correctly pronounced "the Yoo-Dub." Most other UWs have slightly less lazy pronunciations.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:51 pm UTC

In the UK at least, you make one Firm choice and one Insurance choice. And so when I get an email from Surrey Uni...

Insurance choice applicants
If you have chosen Surrey as your insurance place, you will NOT be able to apply for accommodation with us just yet. If you are not accepted by your firm choice, and become firm at Surrey, you will then be able to apply for accommodation with us.

:shock:

Edit: In retrospect, this innuendo is not really that funny. Apologies.
Last edited by bigglesworth on Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:21 pm UTC

stockpot wrote:It makes it even harder that this discussion is written rather than spoken. The university to which fukiyo and kellsbells applied is written as "UW" but correctly pronounced "the Yoo-Dub." Most other UWs have slightly less lazy pronunciations.

Quite. I've never really understood why it's just "You Dub" but at least it makes conversation about it easier if someone else is talking about, say, the University of Wisconsin as well.

As a Seattle native, it really bothers me when people give it the full "You Double-You" pronunciation. :evil: It's just wrong, guys! If you want to go to school there, at least say it right!
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:01 am UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:still waiting on Waterloo

Just curious, what program did you apply to and what're your marks like?

I got accepted to Waterloo (for co-op math). Funny, because I'm seriously considering turning it down.

HappyDucks56

Postby HappyDucks56 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:44 pm UTC

anyone else going to cornell uni?

i did early decision [such a good decisionnn]. but besides that, i got accepted to rutgers and penn state. the rest i had to withdraw my applications before i knew my fate [i was pretty curious actually if i wouldve made it]

GCM

Postby GCM » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:46 pm UTC

Hey, someone tell me about the UK system?

So, you go to do A-Levels in this college like place which is not really an undergrad thing yet. You apply through UCAS, and wait for replies.

So, sometimes they accept you straight, and sometimes they give you a conditional offer of what kind of grades you get for A-Levels, is that correct so far?
~Sun Tzu

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:04 pm UTC

@GCM:
Quick lesson on UK education setup (from someone who lives in the UK but has applied to UK & US universities):
School = place you must attend from age 5 or so to age 16 (usually primary school for first six years, secondary school for the remainder), at 16 you do GCSEs (compulsory exams, usually do about 10 of them). You may also remain for another two years (to age 18) to do A-levels (two year course, most people do three or four subjects of their own choosing).
College = place you may attend if you want to take A-levels or other post-16 qualifications rather than going off and getting a job, but do not want to remain in school for whatever reason. Bears little relation to the US meaning of the word college.
UCAS = Similar to your Common Application system. Most universities will make you an offer conditional on specific A-level grades (e.g. BBA), some on points (each grade has an associate score, meaning that you could make up for a D with a couple of As, for example) and some unconditional (either because you already have your grades because of a late application, or because they really like you, or because the course you applied to is not very competitive). Unconditional offers are uncommon unless you already know your grades - even for an unpopular course they're likely to give a conditional offer, just one with a very low requirement.
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:22 pm UTC

The Sleeping Tyrant wrote:
Alpha Omicron wrote:still waiting on Waterloo

Just curious, what program did you apply to and what're your marks like?

I got accepted to Waterloo (for co-op math). Funny, because I'm seriously considering turning it down.

Co-op math, as it happens. My marks are high 80s right now, but I'll probably end the school year with low/mid 90s.

I was at UW again on Tuesday, and apparently the bulk of their offers haven't gone out yet. But way to stress me out.

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:37 am UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:But way to stress me out.

Sorry about that.

Hey, high 80's is pretty good. You'll be accepted.
Only reason I've already gotten my acceptance is because my average is freakishly high, and I'm doing a fifth year so my average is final (or at least can't go down).

Out of curiosity, where else'd you apply to?

Jemfy

Postby Jemfy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:54 am UTC

Beetlesworth wrote:I'm in the UK and i've recieved offers from Birmingham, Exeter and Edinburgh so far, To study Physics. I'm still waiting on Durham though, I wish they'd hurry up and start giving offers out instead of waiting for everyone and their dog to send an application in. </fume>

Anyway, Any other Physicists knocking around? How about anyone else going for Birmingham? I saw that Hoags is, I know loads of people from my Sixth Form going there, that's pretty much the reason why it's top of my list at the moment.

I'm Physics 1st year, and I'm at Nottingham and would highly reccomend it personally. Birmingham was one I looked at but never one I really fancied, plus Nottingham is also a really good uni for sciences.

Durham rejected me but mostly because I never put effort in anything much including my personal statement which was half arsed. This is the reason I got4 B's at A level. Any effort whatsoever and I would have got at least 2 A's easily (Physics and Maths).

The Spherical Cow

Postby The Spherical Cow » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:06 am UTC

Jemfy wrote:Durham rejected me but mostly because I never put effort in anything much including my personal statement which was half arsed. This is the reason I got4 B's at A level. Any effort whatsoever and I would have got at least 2 A's easily (Physics and Maths).

I got rejected from Durham straight off, because I wasn't doing enough Advanced Highers. Which I was annoyed by, because I choose not to do the full amount, because it would be a non-science related 3rd one. So I did more science-based Highers instead.

So I'm doing physics at St Andrews now. Which was my first-choice, and for which I'm glad. I've had a great time here so far.

GCM

Postby GCM » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:44 am UTC

MoonBuggy wrote:@GCM:
Quick lesson on UK education setup (from someone who lives in the UK but has applied to UK & US universities):
School = place you must attend from age 5 or so to age 16 (usually primary school for first six years, secondary school for the remainder), at 16 you do GCSEs (compulsory exams, usually do about 10 of them). You may also remain for another two years (to age 18) to do A-levels (two year course, most people do three or four subjects of their own choosing).
College = place you may attend if you want to take A-levels or other post-16 qualifications rather than going off and getting a job, but do not want to remain in school for whatever reason. Bears little relation to the US meaning of the word college.
UCAS = Similar to your Common Application system. Most universities will make you an offer conditional on specific A-level grades (e.g. BBA), some on points (each grade has an associate score, meaning that you could make up for a D with a couple of As, for example) and some unconditional (either because you already have your grades because of a late application, or because they really like you, or because the course you applied to is not very competitive). Unconditional offers are uncommon unless you already know your grades - even for an unpopular course they're likely to give a conditional offer, just one with a very low requirement.

Ahh, alright. I'm actually doing A-Levels now, but I don't plan (and never did plan) on going to schools in the UK. It's also a bit different for me, which is why I asked; my A-Levels course is only 1.5 years, which was kinda tough I guess, but I did manage an A and a B for A/S (don't have A/S for the others yet.

But I'm happy. Also got a 25,000 scholarship offer from the other school, though that pleases my dad more than me (you can imagine).
~Sun Tzu

pet

Postby pet » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:12 am UTC

Right now, I'm waiting on the University of Michigan. Really hope I get in; I want to try informatics there. There's the RC there as well, which is another big point.

SAT of 1990, 5As, 1B and 4Cs in high school, and my teacher told me she put mostly very good or excellent in her recommendation (actually, is that legal?) Right now doing A-Levels. Anyone think I can get in? Anyone been there for undergrad?

I'm there right now as a freshman in the RC and I love it. I'm not entirely sure what to say about your grades as I'm so perplexed by the fact that you only have ten grades for all of high school (international systems confuse me). I will say that I'd guess your SAT score to be slightly on the low side of average, and your grades seem decent, so I'd say you have a fair chance. The recommendation should help a lot as well.

Let me know if I can tell you anything else.
"Look up 'idiot' in the dictionary. You know what you'll find?"
"A picture of me?"
"No! The definition of the word 'idiot', which you fucking are!"

GCM

Postby GCM » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:12 am UTC

pet wrote:
Right now, I'm waiting on the University of Michigan. Really hope I get in; I want to try informatics there. There's the RC there as well, which is another big point.

I'm there right now as a freshman in the RC and I love it. I'm not entirely sure what to say about your grades as I'm so perplexed by the fact that you only have ten grades for all of high school (international systems confuse me). I will say that I'd guess your SAT score to be slightly on the low side of average, and your grades seem decent, so I'd say you have a fair chance. The recommendation should help a lot as well.

Let me know if I can tell you anything else.

These are like final grades; it's all one external exam at the end, and the other tests the are the ones the school gives to measure current progress (which aren't counted for anything), mainly so they know how you're keeping up. Thankfully my good grades were all the important stuff, sciences (except biology), English, math etc. Bad ones were stuff like "Moral Education" (they teach you how to be a "good citizen". Ooo! And to do that, you have to memorize lots of sentences, apparently), history, etc.
Yeah, I was kinda disappointed with my SAT; was aiming for a 2100 or more. Got the sniffs on test day, which distracted me a bit, but not too much. And of course, blew the essay to little bitty pieces. Oh yeah, SAT IIs: Math II 800, Literature 690, Physics 720.

Oh yeah, foreign languages there; are they a continuation from high school? Because I have no experience whatsoever in ANY of them, though I am interested in Latin and Spanish.
~Sun Tzu

pet

Postby pet » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:36 pm UTC

So do you guys get just one generalized "science" grade that just lumps everything (physics, chemistry, etc.) together? Weird. Your SAT IIs are definitely solid and should give you a boost in admissions (hello, topic). Out of curiosity, when did you apply and when are you expecting to hear back? Michigan's rolling admissions process usually means you hear back within a few months of application (in my case, late October of my senior year). Though I guess international students probably have different deadlines.

You can start completely fresh in any language you want, but I know most people have had at least a little foreign language experience in high school. I have a friend who took Spanish for four years but then started over with French in the RC, and she's doing just fine. My roommate is taking Intensive Japanese, which she's had no experience with at all, and she's done well enough to at least pass (we don't actually talk ever, so I don't know how well). In my experience, kids come in from all different levels and the professors are really understanding. And it helps a lot that the classes are tiny because you get tons of individualized attention. As long as you put in the effort you should really be fine.
"A picture of me?"

GCM

Postby GCM » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:05 am UTC

pet wrote:So do you guys get just one generalized "science" grade that just lumps everything (physics, chemistry, etc.) together? Weird. Your SAT IIs are definitely solid and should give you a boost in admissions (hello, topic). Out of curiosity, when did you apply and when are you expecting to hear back? Michigan's rolling admissions process usually means you hear back within a few months of application (in my case, late October of my senior year). Though I guess international students probably have different deadlines.

You can start completely fresh in any language you want, but I know most people have had at least a little foreign language experience in high school. I have a friend who took Spanish for four years but then started over with French in the RC, and she's doing just fine. My roommate is taking Intensive Japanese, which she's had no experience with at all, and she's done well enough to at least pass (we don't actually talk ever, so I don't know how well). In my experience, kids come in from all different levels and the professors are really understanding. And it helps a lot that the classes are tiny because you get tons of individualized attention. As long as you put in the effort you should really be fine.

Well, yes. Physics, chemistry, and biologicaltryness. It's actually a bit more detailed than that, but the results are generalized. For example, for each science subject has 3 papers we have to sit for, usually on the same day. Each is different, for example, only one has a multiple choice section, one's more on essays and experiments, and another is answer all questions. Then they grade, weigh and sum it up, with one grade. Practicals and lab work are a different exam and set of grades (5 grades for each subject, based on the skill they're testing, e.g. measuring), which I got mostly A's (except a couple of B's in biology); my science teachers were really good (not to mention strict). Thing is I don't know whether that counts for very much or not; it's up to the admission guys I guess.

I started looking around at colleges after my exams last June and my internship in July, and did the things then (SAT in November, TOEFL in October, SATII in December etc). My application was "received" December 18th, the last thing to come in was transcripts, which my school had a lot of problems with (e.g., closed in December for school holidays, early January busy with new students to sort out, not to mention I had exams in January to sit for) It was sent 20-something-th January, on 3 days max mail, but it was "processed" on wolverineaccess only in early February. Got something similar with recommendations as well, they'll send an automatic email stating "we've received this", but the site doesn't say "received" until a later date.
What about you; you mean you applied in October and they replied in a few months? I'm supposed to reply to their offer by May 1st, so I doubt it'll take much longer.

I should be fine with languages, if that's the case. But do they test you based on your expected level, or is it the same for all? Because I don't want to suck at language and have that bring my GPA down.
~Sun Tzu

pet

Postby pet » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:33 pm UTC

I applied sometime in early September (don't remember quite when, but I was working on my app for most of August, so that sounds about right), and I heard back in late October. I would think you'd hear back pretty soon, especially since most other schools will be sending out decisions next week.

As for the language stuff, at orientation you can take the placement test for whatever language you want to go into. You have to take the placement test; there's no getting around it. Then they place you into whatever class they feel is appropriate for your level. And as far as the GPA thing goes, I'm not sure about all the languages, but my Intensive French II class was pass/fail. And all RC courses also include a written evaluation from the professor that goes on your transcript.
"A picture of me?"

Malbert

Postby Malbert » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:21 pm UTC

Berkeley is being lazy and not putting admissions on the site. Dammit they said today they would be on the site. But yeah, I'm going to go to UCSB regardless.

edit: well, denial from Berkeley made my choice that much easier.
Last edited by Malbert on Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The tasty baconplague: best plague ever.

fenrir_darkwolf

Postby fenrir_darkwolf » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:23 pm UTC

I got an acceptance from every university I applied for!! Except the one I wanted :x. Still waiting for University of Waterloo :( (computer science if anyone is interested).
"You're gonna have to learn everything anyway, so which is first is not essential."
-Richard Feynman

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:31 am UTC

So far for me:

Rejected from 3, accepted into 2.

Rejections: Cal Poly, UCSB, UCLA.

Acceptances: Purdue University*, UCSC

*:D I am probably going to go here.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:40 am UTC

The Sleeping Tyrant wrote:
Alpha Omicron wrote:But way to stress me out.

Sorry about that.

Hey, high 80's is pretty good. You'll be accepted.
Only reason I've already gotten my acceptance is because my average is freakishly high, and I'm doing a fifth year so my average is final (or at least can't go down).

Out of curiosity, where else'd you apply to?

Brock and Mac.

southside

Postby southside » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:26 am UTC

Applied to 3 colleges, all three accepted on $18000+ scholarships
Arcadia University(safety school): Major: International Peace and Conflict Resolution
Gettysburg College: Major: Political Science
American University, School for International Service: International Studies/International Development(focus on Russia and Central Asia)
Committed to American University as of 3/30
Anyone else headed to the DC region, schools like Georgetown, GW, and the like?
Better known as IB

GCM

Postby GCM » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:52 am UTC

pet wrote:I applied sometime in early September (don't remember quite when, but I was working on my app for most of August, so that sounds about right), and I heard back in late October. I would think you'd hear back pretty soon, especially since most other schools will be sending out decisions next week.

As for the language stuff, at orientation you can take the placement test for whatever language you want to go into. You have to take the placement test; there's no getting around it. Then they place you into whatever class they feel is appropriate for your level. And as far as the GPA thing goes, I'm not sure about all the languages, but my Intensive French II class was pass/fail. And all RC courses also include a written evaluation from the professor that goes on your transcript.

That's okay then. You're like an early response guy. My aunt (who lives at Whitmore Lake, 12 miles away; bonus!)suggested that for borderline students, they'd wait and do the other applications to see if others who are applying are better or worse than those that they're not sure off. Also, deadlines for colleges to reply are usually 4/1, right? I think for such a big institution, it probably holds till mid-April.
I'm actually half-tempted to send in my deposit for Ohio Wesleyan University. I wanna go there, really like the place and people, even if there isn't easy access to winter sports. They're either very interested in me, or they're that personal with every one of their applicants.
But I also want to go to Michigan; love the town atmosphere, tons of libraries and resources, things to do, and the students seem really happy just to be there (at least what I observed). Heh, too bad I can't do both.

As to the languages, no way around? I have absolutely nothing. A bit of Chinese, some Malay, but that's it. But when they like, test you, are the exams the same level or do they test you on what they expect of you? I'll work harder, but I'm looking at UROP as well.
~Sun Tzu

pet

Postby pet » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:39 am UTC

I would hope that you'd hear back in early April, rather than later. I'm fairly sure Michigan tries to get out its decisions around then in order to match what other schools do.

GCM wrote:As to the languages, no way around? I have absolutely nothing. A bit of Chinese, some Malay, but that's it. But when they like, test you, are the exams the same level or do they test you on what they expect of you? I'll work harder, but I'm looking at UROP as well.

Never mind; it turns out I was mistaken about that. You only have to take the placement test if you've already studied the language you want to take. If you're starting completely new at something, you just enroll in the first-level course for that language.

Is your language test question about the placement test or tests in the actual RC courses? Like I said, you don't need to worry about the placement test, but if you're wondering about the courses themselves, I'm pretty sure that the exams are all on the same level, but it's not like there are one or two giant tests that make up your entire grade. In my French class last semester, we had six smaller tests that came at the end of every unit, and there were a bunch of other things (essays, oral presentations and the like) that were graded as well.

The proficiency test, which is the big one that you really do need to pass, holds all students to the same level of proficiency, but there is some leeway. There are several different areas that you're tested on (grammar, writing comprehension, listening comprehension and speaking), and you can get a provisional pass in one of the areas and still pass proficiency. And I think that the professors do take your own skill level into account. For example, I have a pretty good understanding of French and I can write in it really well, but when I speak (even in English, even just sitting class), I tend to get flustered and sometimes my grammar gets a little mangled. Thus, my oral exam didn't exactly blow my professors away, but they knew that it was a nerves thing and not a being-unprepared thing, so they passed me.

UROP is a pretty cool program. I tried to do it last fall but it didn't work out, but I know a lot of people have found some really amazing projects through it.
"A picture of me?"

GCM

Postby GCM » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:47 am UTC

Ah. Neat.

pet wrote:Is your language test question about the placement test or tests in the actual RC courses? Like I said, you don't need to worry about the placement test, but if you're wondering about the courses themselves, I'm pretty sure that the exams are all on the same level, but it's not like there are one or two giant tests that make up your entire grade. In my French class last semester, we had six smaller tests that came at the end of every unit, and there were a bunch of other things (essays, oral presentations and the like) that were graded as well.

Sorry if I was a bit ambiguous about that. Let's try this.

Person A did German in high school for 4 years, and is very proficient. Person B has no experience in German whatsoever.
So, person A gets dumped into an advanced class and person B is put into a beginners class. Correct?
And the testing is the same for both, and both will be graded according to what they score, right?
Thus, person B needs to work a lot harder to keep up.

The proficiency test is also the same level no matter who you are, right?

Oh yes, you have to apply for UROP when you get in, right? Also, just checked out the website; it says there's a Michigan Research Community, but do you have to be in it to do the UROP?
~Sun Tzu

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:13 pm UTC

So yesterday I replied to my offers...Durham is my firm choice, with Heythrop my insurance choice. A complete change from what I was thinking a few months ago, but I was really really impressed with Durham when I visited, and Heythrop no longer offers self-catered accommodation, which is really important to me.
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

pet

Postby pet » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:09 pm UTC

GCM wrote:Person A did German in high school for 4 years, and is very proficient. Person B has no experience in German whatsoever.
So, person A gets dumped into an advanced class and person B is put into a beginners class. Correct?
And the testing is the same for both, and both will be graded according to what they score, right?
Thus, person B needs to work a lot harder to keep up.

The proficiency test is also the same level no matter who you are, right?

Oh yes, you have to apply for UROP when you get in, right? Also, just checked out the website; it says there's a Michigan Research Community, but do you have to be in it to do the UROP?

Yes, person A and person B will be put into two different German classes, thus they will have different tests and assignments. The first test person B might encounter would probably be on the present tense and some basic vocabulary, whereas person A's first test could be on the subjunctive or imperfect tense. Person B won't have to do any extra work to keep up to person A because they're not expected to be on the same level. They're in completely different classes. It's like the difference between a student in Calc I and a student in Calc III.

The proficiency test is the same level all the time, yes, but you don't take it until you're ready. The RC language requirement goes like this for people starting with a new language: Intensive Language Class I, Intensive Language Class II, proficiency exam, readings course. If you're starting with a language you have never studied before (say Spanish), you'll start with Intensive Spanish I for the first semester, and the next semester you'll take Intensive Spanish II. It's only after two whole semesters of intensive work that you'll be expected to take proficiency.

Another student, who has been taking Spanish for the past 6 years, will likely do very well on the placement exam, and will then be asked to sit proficiency right away. If s/he passes, then s/he can move right on to the readings course. So, since that person is in an entirely different class, you don't have to keep up with him/her at all. You see?

If I remember correctly, yes, you apply for UROP once you're accepted, but the application isn't a big deal at all and they take pretty much everyone. The MRC is kind of related to UROP, but you don't have to be in it at all to do UROP. You can do UROP and pretend that the MRC doesn't exist because it only matters to people who are in it.
"A picture of me?"

Æshættr

Postby Æshættr » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:37 am UTC

A few months back, I applied to Uppsala University through the CSU International Program. So far, I've been accepted by the CSU system as someone they're willing to send abroad, but I won't hear from Uppsala until June (though, I've heard that their acceptance rate for international students is high, so I'm not too worried.)

Phlegmatic

Postby Phlegmatic » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:42 pm UTC

I'm currently waiting for University of Toronto to get off of their asses and get back to me about Co-op Neuroscience. That's pretty much the ideal program for me. I did get into the equivilant program at Carleton (in Ottawa) so that's nice to have. Other than that, I got into all my other choices:

University of Lethbridge - Neurosicence (A ton of good research going on there, apparently, despite being a small university in ALBERTA of all places. Was my fallback.)
University of British Columbia - Science (Planned on going into the cognitive systems program, if I had to go there. Close to home, so I used it to appease my parents. Other side of the country would be much better.)
University of Western Ontario - MedSci (Doesn't have a specific undergrad Neuroscience program, it's currently in development. Seemed like a good school, aside from that.)

A couple American universities looked good, but I was too lazy to do SATs, and I'm not a big fan of having to live in the States for political reasons. Considering I'll probably have to get a grad degree to do anything in neuroscience, I'll reconsider the States or overseas then.
"There is a tiny metal thing above it. The kraken stirs.
And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance."

-Good Omens, Terry Pratchet and Neil Gaiman

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:03 pm UTC

[note: I'm in the UK]

I did all my application shit last year so whoo! no more pressure. :) But I'm starting Uni next year, so this thread is kind of relevant.

University of York, England, Computer Science G400 2008 :)

good luck everyone! I think I'm a little weird in that I actually ENJOYED the application process, it was pretty exciting waiting for offers (IMO - don't take this as dismissing your pain!)
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

Return to “School”