Applications 2008

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Re: Applications 2008

Postby kellsbells » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:30 am UTC

I... I don't like being rejected. From five schools in one day.

Ow.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Hoags

Postby Hoags » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:32 am UTC

kellsbells wrote:I... I don't like being rejected. From five schools in one day.

Ow.

Ouch. That really sucks. Sorry. :(

@vqcg: I enjoyed the process too. It was stressful, but in my case rewarding. I just replied to my offers, so now all I need to do is study.

GCM

Postby GCM » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:17 am UTC

Breaking news... Just got waitlisted by Michigan. Funny, though, it doesn't hurt as much as I though it would, since I wanted to go. Maybe it's knowing that I'm good enough for them, or maybe the relief from having the whole process finished nullifies it. Maybe both. I dunno.
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

Cai

Postby Cai » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:52 pm UTC

I got rejected from Oberlin, Haverford, Hampshire and Kenyon. I got wait listed at Beloit (still waiting). I got accepted at Eugene Lang College The New School For Liberal Arts. Problem is, it's a shit-ton of money! A dilemma indeed.
Dreamers never live, only dream of it.
first.am

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sat May 03, 2008 3:40 am UTC

Necro, I know, but has anyone else heard any horror stories?

For example there's the girl at my school who only applied to the Yoo-Dub. She had a 3.6, pretty good SATs, applied in early December. She got rejected. She's appealing it now, but that only has about a 25% chance of success. If it doesn't work, she'll be going to community college.

Then there's the boy who has a good GPA and has taken loads of AP courses. He applied to seven colleges and got rejected from all of them. Ouchie.

Not the least interesting thing about these stories, to me, is the way that they have traveled throughout the campus. Like, dang, everyone knows about them, how did that happen?

Most graduating seniors at my school ended up choosing Yoo-Dub (I like typing that), Western, or community college. I'm going to Western. I hope I can stay focused and not drop out like my sister and my parents ended up doing. If I get bored or hopeless I hope I have the sense to apply for a transfer instead.

But yeah, they told me my 3.1 GPA would be the end of me. Ha ha. I like proving people wrong.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

GCM

Postby GCM » Sat May 03, 2008 4:53 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:Most graduating seniors at my school ended up choosing Yoo-Dub (I like typing that), Western, or community college. I'm going to Western. I hope I can stay focused and not drop out like my sister and my parents ended up doing. If I get bored or hopeless I hope I have the sense to apply for a transfer instead.

But yeah, they told me my 3.1 GPA would be the end of me. Ha ha. I like proving people wrong.

Yoo-Dub as in Wisconsin? And when I first saw Western, I thought Northwestern, but do you mean Case Western?
~Sun Tzu

Teh Russians

Postby Teh Russians » Sat May 03, 2008 5:03 am UTC

I got rejected by Tufts, waitlisted by Wash.U and UChicago, and accepted into BostonU and Northeastern. Most likely going to the latter, since I got honors and a bunch of merit money. I really wanted to go to UChicago though :( ...maybe I'll get accepted off of the waitlist...
Confucius wrote:Sit by the river long enough, and the bodies of your enemies will float by.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sat May 03, 2008 5:55 am UTC

GCM wrote:Yoo-Dub as in Wisconsin? And when I first saw Western, I thought Northwestern, but do you mean Case Western?

Earlier in the thread, it was clarified that UW, when pronounced Yoo-Dub, is the University of Washington. Pretty good school. Western Washington University, the one I meant, is a step down but is the second-best public university in my state.

I can't go somewhere too expensive because I'm paying for my own. It's not bad, really. It has a really pretty campus (very important for me) and decent stats. Wish I could afford private schools, though.

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Sat May 03, 2008 7:53 am UTC

I know this is a British horror story and the grades, etc, mentioned won't mean anything to most of you, but ...

a girl who I knew way back in primary school got rejected from all 6 of her choices last year for English Literature. She had something like 6 A*s and 5 As at GCSE, an A at a-level, and 4 As + an A in General Studies at A-level (most students take 3 A-levels, maybe plus General Studies). She was captain of the hockey team and head girl.

This is not at all uncommon for English Literature in the UK; I have never understood what makes it such a competetive subject (even in comparison to say, Law or Medicine).
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sat May 03, 2008 3:32 pm UTC

Scientist's answer: because it's easy.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Cooley

Postby Cooley » Sat May 03, 2008 11:33 pm UTC

I got back my answers a while ago. Rejected at UCLA and UC Berkeley. Accepted at UCI.

Scholarships and financial aid suck, though. Hopefully I can get some finaid, a student loan, and a job that pays well enough that I can afford the first year. After that I can actually remember the deadlines for the best finaid and not put myself into crazy debt before med school.

GCM

Postby GCM » Tue May 06, 2008 2:52 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Scientist's answer: because it's easy.

I beg to differ. Though that's probably because last year was the first year I ever did literature.

But honestly, I find it harder than science & math.
~Sun Tzu

Cass

Postby Cass » Tue May 06, 2008 3:58 am UTC

its may 5th and I have yet to hear back from anywhere, I dont really care if its a yes or no at this point just tell me god damn it.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own"

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Fri May 09, 2008 5:21 pm UTC

Finally received and accepted my offer of admission to Honours Mathematics (Co-op) from the University of Waterloo.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Sat May 10, 2008 1:21 am UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:Finally received and accepted my offer of admission to Honours Mathematics (Co-op) from the University of Waterloo.

Congrats.

I ended up accepting Windsor's offer.
The money was much more tempting.

Cooley

Postby Cooley » Sat May 10, 2008 3:10 am UTC

Filed my FAFSA! I can *maybe* afford college now!
Too bad I'm too late for the CalGrant...

fenrir_darkwolf

Postby fenrir_darkwolf » Sat May 10, 2008 6:40 pm UTC

Got accepted into honours computer science co-op at Waterloo. :D
"You're gonna have to learn everything anyway, so which is first is not essential."
-Richard Feynman

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sat May 10, 2008 8:17 pm UTC

fenrir_darkwolf wrote:Got accepted into honours computer science co-op at Waterloo. :D

See you there!
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:53 pm UTC

Droooo wrote:I have interviews for medicine at Dundee and Glasgow unis in January, so any tips would be much appreciated.

Yeah, basic interviewing politeness and smartly dressed-ness

If you get in to Dundee and you want to go out, avoid places like the art bar and the social like the plague, assuming you don't like snobby wankers. The nether inn is nice, and very very cheap if you get a student saver card there (costs £1, you make it back after 1 pitcher) and does good food.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Latentsage

Postby Latentsage » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:03 pm UTC

Reading all of this is making me incredibly anxious about upcoming applications...

What would you guys say is the best time to apply?

Windmill

Postby Windmill » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:39 am UTC

Whatever you do, just don't wait.

I burned the midnight oil on my Rice University application, and I got wait listed. I know I could've been accepted if I had actually put any sort of effort into it.

Just make sure to visit the campuses. I know this girl in my class (National Merit Finalist, sky high GPA, etc.) is going to UChicago but she has never visited. Don't do this. It could be a very very unpleasant surprise.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:52 am UTC

No need to freak out. Here is what I would recommend:

Unless you're doing Early Action/Decision, ruminate from now through October. No need to work on anything yet. Look at collegeboard.com and everywhere else when you have time. Just try to be absolutely sure about where you want to apply. Decide as best you can by the end of October, although you can still change your mind.

Sometime in November, go ahead and ask for the teacher recs. Less than three weeks' notice will make an unhappy teacher. Go to your high school office and fill out the request for sending official transcripts, if you have any apps due in December. But don't do anything else. Stay calm. Don't listen to the November freaks. When the colleges receive the transcripts and the recs, they will send more information to you.

Only one major college in my state had apps due in December, and they weren't even really due, that was just the deadline if you wanted financial aid. Most colleges don't have their deadlines until March at least. Some of the nicer ones were in January. So starting in December, just go to work on the earliest apps. Honestly, even if you do have one due on December 15, fifteen days is plenty of time to get it done at a leisurely pace. All you need is maybe two hours for the basic questions and a week for the essays. That's plenty of time to prewrite, make a rough draft, let it sit for a day, rewrite, have someone else go over it, and twerk it for the final copy.

By the way, I am a total peer-editing dork and have been known to jump up and down in excitement when asked to go over someone's essay, so I hereby make the offer to PM me with your essays.

Over December break, don't do anything for the apps themselves, but do get the worksheet for FAFSA and fill that out.

And oh my god, FAFSA!! FAFSA!!!!! FAFSA was the biggest pain in the ass of my entire admissions process, and it's going to require your parents' W-2s, and yours if you have them. It might take a whole day to fill the damn thing out, even if you do all the worksheets beforehand. Suck it up and do it before January 3rd.

It will make for a relaxing second semester if you handle the rest of your apps over January. Really, no more than a week for each of them is required. Stay calm, and keep turning them out. You'll be fine. Spilling over into February isn't bad. I actually didn't get in the apps to the college I'm going to until April, and it was fine, but it will be less stressful if you get them done before that.

It's when you get the answers back that you'll have to visit campuses if you can, and make your final decision. Relax. None of my colleges required the deposits until May.

Again, key concept here is staying calm. Breathe in, breathe out. It'll be fine.

Return to “School”