"Ouch" moments in school

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

++$_
Mo' Money

"Ouch" moments in school

Postby ++$_ » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:57 am UTC

This thread is for sharing moments in school that make/made you feel like you got punched in the gut. Mostly, I expect that these will be test- or paper-related.

As an example, my first contribution. I just got this email (emphasis mine):

Dear Class,
The midterms have been graded. Overall the class performed quite well. There were some outstanding performances as well as some not so good ones. The stats are summarized below -
Mean 79.3
St. Dev. 20.1
Median 86.0
Min 19.0
Max 100.0
Ouch. You know, if it were a 0, that would make sense, but this means that someone actually put in some effort and still only got a 19.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Re: "Ouch" moments in school

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:39 pm UTC

A girl in my high school managed to get a six on the ACT. You'll statistically do better than that just putting "C."

wst

Postby wst » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:13 pm UTC

We were doing an ICT presentation arguing the case for an OS which we were either unfamiliar with, or disliked. We got... Windows.

I was delegated to state the benefits it has over MacOS. (I was woefully misinformed with this statement, but the humour is golden, in hindsight)

"Windows also allows the user to have multiple buttons on the mouse, allowing your other hand to do other stuff" (I swear I meant typing!)

The room went silent, and one person laughed when the suspense was killing me. That set absolutely everyone in the class off, including the teachers.

Took a month to live down.

I sort of stood out-of-the-way of the projector beam and muttered the rest of my bit, then let others take over for their bits.

Turned out the person who first laughed only heard "allowing your other hand to do other stuff."

Whoops! It was a major misstep for someone who considered truancy and self-harm (jumping down a flight of stairs kinda stuff- luckily I'm a pussy when it comes to dangerous stuff and I thought of so many ways it could go wrong and so many things I liked doing that involved using my arms/legs/neck/spine, etc.) to get out of class presentations in the past.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Govalant

Postby Govalant » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:28 pm UTC

I once got a 1.7 out of 10 on a history test.

And I cheated.
Now these points of data make a beautiful line.

How's things?
-Entropy is winning.

Hit3k

Postby Hit3k » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:56 am UTC

An ouch moment for me was getting 30% on a test in physics and that being the highest mark
Sungura wrote:My mom made me watch a star wars. Two of them , actually. The Death Star one and the one where the dude ends up in the swamp with the weird guy who talks funny.

RedWolf

Postby RedWolf » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:44 am UTC

I got a something like a 63% on my Spanish test, which was the highest grade in the class (average was 30 something). The teacher ended up curving it, giving me about 120% :)

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:56 am UTC

I had an 88 percent in my history class, which somehow got down to a C minus after the final essay, which I had worked my tail off writing and thought was pretty good. I shouldn't have chosen "cognitive dissonance throughout history" for my topic - I think the professor didn't understand it and rejected it out of hand. I maintain that it's one of the most vital issues pertaining to history.

saxything43

Postby saxything43 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:54 pm UTC

My AP English Language class was given all period for a week to study for the final. Unfortunately, this class is at the end of the day when everybody's attention spans are shot to shit, so not a single person studied, ever. The teacher didn't really like it, but she had given us the period to do as we pleased, and so sat through it until the last minute of the last day of the week, when she said, "I hope you all fail."

After winter break, she explained what grading the tests were like.

"First I thought I had graded them using the wrong key. So I ran the SCANTRON again. And then again. And then one more time. Then I made sure I had the right class, and ran it again. Twice. Then I took the test myself, to check for misprints. There were none. So I graded all of your tests by hand and realized that not a single person in this class scored higher than a forty-five percent on this final."

...She didn't grade on a curve, either.

EDITED for grammar, which is ironic, considering I wrote about English class.
This post brought you to by the number 42.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:11 am UTC

We took a Spanish quiz once. A week later, the teacher came in and announced "Oh, I spilled soup on all of your quizzes! You need to retake it now." Obviously we'd all already forgotten everything... we didn't do terribly, but the highest grade was a B and it was a really easy class. We were all pissed.

Later on, one of the girls that doesn't usually do well in the class got 100 on a quiz after she studied like crazy to get her grade up. The teacher decided she'd cheated and made her retake it. Again without notice. She got a B-, but her advisor went to him pissed off so he averaged the 2 quizzes and counted that as her grade.

We hated him, obviously.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:52 am UTC

saxything43 wrote:EDITED for grammar, which is ironic, considering I wrote about English class.

It's not ironic, because you were talking about failing English class ;)

During our last set of exams, my cousin pulled an all-nighter studying for his biology exam. When he rocked up in the morning, we reminded him it was a physics exam, so he had to run home and get his calculator. He ended up getting 5%.

:lol:
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

Not an Evil Robot

Postby Not an Evil Robot » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:04 am UTC

++$_ wrote:This thread is for sharing moments in school that make/made you feel like you got punched in the gut. Mostly, I expect that these will be test- or paper-related.

As an example, my first contribution. I just got this email (emphasis mine):

Dear Class,
The midterms have been graded. Overall the class performed quite well. There were some outstanding performances as well as some not so good ones. The stats are summarized below -
Mean 79.3
St. Dev. 20.1
Median 86.0
Min 19.0
Max 100.0
Ouch. You know, if it were a 0, that would make sense, but this means that someone actually put in some effort and still only got a 19.

That reminds me of one of my Discrete Structures quizes last semester, it was the one on probability.
We all get our tests back and then the teacher shows us the max/min/average on the projector.
anyways, it went something like this(there was like 10pts of extra credit if I remember):

Code: Select all

Max:105
Mean:72
Min:2

tiny

Postby tiny » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:43 am UTC

In my biology finals I thought we could choose one of two tests (like it was in educational science and english).
So I worked on the second page of the test, finished early and left the room for good. How surprised was I when my classmates joined me - a considerable amout of time later - and told me we had to work on both pages...
Still got an E, and since my pre-final test was a D- I didn't have to retake the test.
You can tell I only took biology into my finals because there weren't enough people wanting to take chemistry.

EDIT:
Clumpy wrote:... I shouldn't have chosen "cognitive dissonance throughout history" for my topic...
Oh, you wouldn't happen to still have a copy of that text? I'd love to read it o.o
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

SenselessSophist

Postby SenselessSophist » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:40 pm UTC

Geometry midterm. I studied hard. I put in about ten hours of studying, had a notecard made up (our teacher allowed us one 3x5 notecard, double-sided, because there was a lot of material) and all that jazz.

I got it back.

Ow ow ow. Just barely passed.

(luckily it didnt' kill my quarter or final average, i do consistently well in that class)
~I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.~

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:50 pm UTC

The stares I get when tests are handed back, and the teacher says "And as usual, [MightyJalapeno] was the only one to get an A..."

Thanks, dick.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:08 pm UTC

Not an Evil Robot wrote:That reminds me of one of my Discrete Structures quizes last semester, it was the one on probability.
We all get our tests back and then the teacher shows us the max/min/average on the projector.
anyways, it went something like this(there was like 10pts of extra credit if I remember):

Max:105
Mean:72
Min:2

That made me laugh. I mean...painful, but so funny. If I ever got a 2 on a test, I would probably cry. But at least half of the tears would be from laughing.

I've never really had an "ouch" moment in school. I got a 23/30 on a recent Stat quiz, but I'm still at an A- in that class, so I don't really care.
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Anpheus
I can't get any worse, can I?

Postby Anpheus » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:09 pm UTC

I would do what Mighty Jalapeno did, but I didn't do any of the homework, so my ouch moment was my GPA, which I should care for, but didn't. I can't rationalize spending my time competing in a system that rewards intellectually... disadvantaged? I don't know, people who aren't deserving of high marks for merely showing up, slogging through coursework, and then doing everything in groups of 4 or 5 only to forget whatever it was they wrote down an hour later. There's a reason Americans do much worse on tests than in homework: if every class allowed people to get into groups for the tests you'd see US test scores back in the top 10 world-wide.

I did manage to shock my AP Chem class when I was the only one to get a 97% on a test without doing any of the homework.
Spoiler:

/###\_________/###\
  |#################|
  \#################/
   |##┌         ┐##|
   |##  (¯`v´¯)  ##|
   |##  `\ ♥ /´  ##|
   |##   `\¸/´   ##|
   |##└         ┘##|
  /#################\
  |#################|
  \###/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\###/

Ender

Postby Ender » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:25 am UTC

I take a Organic Chemistry class at my school with a few of my friends. A few weeks ago our teacher gave us our nomenclature exam. One of my friends ended up getting a 1 out of 100. The teacher said that he tried to find one thing on his paper that was theorietically true so that he didn't have to give the guy a zero. I think the average on the exam was about a 80
There was a young man from Trinity,
Who solved the square root of infinity.
While counting the digits,
He was seized by the fidgets,
Dropped science, and took up divinity.

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:32 am UTC

Here's an Ouch moment:

When I was but a lowly freshman, I eagerly awaited the Fall course schedule so I could pick out some awesome courses to take. Glancing through the mathematics courses, I came across this gem:
MATH 6000 COLLEGE PREPARATORY MATHEMATICS
1 cr.
This course teaches the student basic algebraic skills necessary for college mathematics courses. No previous algebra is assumed. Covers addition and multiplication of integers and fractions, complex fractions, absolute value, real numbers, laws of exponents (fractional and negative), and applications of this material to solve simple word problems. This course covers the equivalent of one unit of high school algebra. It does not count toward a degree and is not transferable to other colleges and universities.

I then thought to myself, "WAIT... THEY OFFER THAT IN COLLEGE!??!!??" At that point, the value of a college degree, in my mind, dropped drastically.

UnderRock

Postby UnderRock » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:14 pm UTC

5/12 on the writing component of the ACT (I didn't retake the ACT either...)

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:39 am UTC

I got a 6/12 on the essay in the writing portion of the SAT. Got 100% on that section otherwise. The instructor in charge of the classroom I was taking it in gave no sort of 5 minute or 1 minute warning, just said "drop your pencils. now." and I had to finish mid-sentence. And I got a 5 on both the AP Lit and Lang tests.

reflectia

Postby reflectia » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:48 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:The stares I get when tests are handed back, and the teacher says "And as usual, [MightyJalapeno] was the only one to get an A..."

Thanks, dick.
I don't think some teachers realize that it hurts us when they say that.

TheAmazingRando wrote:The instructor in charge of the classroom I was taking it in gave no sort of 5 minute or 1 minute warning, just said "drop your pencils. now." and I had to finish mid-sentence.
We got a five-second warning. Not very useful. And the instructor wouldn't let us have any breaks. I really needed to pee, which became a huge problem during the last two sections. I think everyone else was pretty pissed off too, because towards the end we all got pretty restless and starting squirming and complaining.
I accidentally divided by zero and my paper burst into flames.

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:07 am UTC

Finding out I had a midterm the day after the midterm.
Live with passion. Die with passion.

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:26 am UTC

++$_ -- yes, I'm quoting myself -- wrote:
Dear Class,
Mean 79.3
St. Dev. 20.1
Median 86.0
Min 19.0
Max 100.0
Apparently, I got one of the 100s :)

Way back when I was in AP English: One day, in class, the teacher passes around a handout that's blank except for a single paragraph. When I receive my copy, I recognize it as the concluding paragraph to the first essay I had turned in for the class. "All right," the teacher says. "Today we're going to discuss conclusions. The paragraph you have there is an example of a bad conclusion." Ummmm.... :(

It turned out that he had intended to pass out my conclusion to the other section, and a conclusion from their section to our section, but somehow he had messed up.

It evened out, though, as later in the class I received that teacher's first 100 on a major assignment, ever. In retrospect, though, I have to say that... I entirely deserved to get that 100 :D

The next semester, I was one of the few students to remain in the same class. The rest were new (and of course had No Idea what to expect). The day before our first in-class essay, he passed out two in-class essays from previous years and asked us to grade them. Which we did. Then we went around the room and told the class how we would have graded the essays. The first seemed pretty good, and everyone's grades were in the A to A- range, with a few B+es. The actual grade turned out to have been B. But then things got worse.

The second essay seemed fairly good to most people. The grades given by the class were in the B+ to B- range. I (the grizzled veteran) knew what to expect, and guessed the lowest grade I could possibly stomach giving to that essay, which was a C-.

The actual grade? D-.

Needless to say, the AP tests were insanely easy after two semesters of this class.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:00 am UTC

Last years English exam, two papers were questions where there was a correct answer or not. I nearly got 100% on that, then for Formal and creative writing I only just passed, expecting myself to do better. Extra hurt was reading other peoples which didn't seem as good, whom recieved higher marks.
=]

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:28 pm UTC

I have one of those friends who is actually really good at various maths-y subjects, but occasionally "forgets" seemingly fundamental concepts.

Like what a Minus sign looks like.

The Ouch Moment?
When, after a test in which he had to ASK me what the "Line-thing" means.
He gets A.

And I get B-

WHAT THE CRAP?
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Kilogolf

Postby Kilogolf » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:06 am UTC

my grade in AP physics this past semester.
so, after spending most of the semester with a D- (teacher curved it so it is impossible to get an F) I work my butt off and raise my grade 20% to end the semester with a C- in that class.
Good for me, right? nope, you see, my parents had known about my D- for the whole semester. They were still mad seeing my grade, even after I explained that I raised it 20% to get that C-.

And now, we've had about... 2 I think, test in that class, and I already have another D-...
what was I on when I signed up for that class?

jera

Postby jera » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:07 am UTC

At NSU we are required to take 3 hours of physical education for Gen. Ed. requirments. Which in it self is a major "ouch" IMO, but I degress. Anyway, I decided to take Judo which is offered through the ROTC.

About 2 weeks ago, we were sparring and during the second match of the day, the pairing was this ROTC guy against a little 5'4 sorority girl named Amber. It starts out looking like the ROTC guy will score an easy Ippon, but he gets a little to cocky and Amber throws him then drops into a perfect arm bar. This suprised everyone including Amber, who had never thrown anyone in the class before.

It turns out the ROTC guy was knocked out when he hit the ground, and as he didnt tap when Amber put him in the arm bar, she spraigned(sp?) his elbow pretty bad, it's still not fully healed.

Masuri

Postby Masuri » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:20 am UTC

I took a Spanish class for an easy grade once. I'm half-Mexican, but every other person in the class was painfully white-bread.

I grew up in a predominantly Mexican area and so I knew how Spanish should sound - heck, my grandma spoke very little English. Unfortunately, no one else had a clue. I managed 3 classes before I had to drop.

Force42

Postby Force42 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:01 am UTC

It is a well-known fact at my high school that you can (and often will) get a higher grade on any test/essay/homework assignment if you completely BS it and write something completely unrelated to the class than if you write about the actual material (it's a history class). We all know the teacher doesn't actually read the stuff he grades. And he chose his college major by flipping a coin...history teacher or [something I don't remember]. People have filled worksheets with song lyrics and gotten A's.

Force42

Postby Force42 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:07 am UTC

For a final in my honors physics class, we did video explanations of physics concepts...half spoofing half trying to outdo the cheesy Canadian physics videos we'd been forced to watch all year. My group presented ours first. We did electric motors. That was the most awkward group project I've ever done...we didn't get along that well. Luckily, you can't tell that on-camera. Overall, it was a decent video. The teacher liked it...but we got docked two points because someone (not me) called the teacher a liar (which is true) in the opening sequence. So we ended up with a 98%. The scary thing was as the week passed and we saw more of the videos, ours seemed to keep getting better and better...

Poochy

Postby Poochy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:33 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:I got a 6/12 on the essay in the writing portion of the SAT. Got 100% on that section otherwise. The instructor in charge of the classroom I was taking it in gave no sort of 5 minute or 1 minute warning, just said "drop your pencils. now." and I had to finish mid-sentence. And I got a 5 on both the AP Lit and Lang tests.
The SAT essay is graded virtually entirely based on length (though completely off-topic crap obviously doesn't count for squat). The AP English Language exam rewards good thinking, and many good essays there are short and to the point. So I suspect being a truly good writer and doing a well-thought-out essay actually HURTS your score in comparison to just semi-coherent rambling about the subject.

To quote Dr. Les Perelman of MIT, to prepare for the SAT essay, "I would advise writing as long as possible...and include lots of facts, even if they're made up."
clintonius wrote:"You like that, RIAA? Yeah, the law burns, doesn't it?"
GENERATION 63,728,127: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

NinjaSimon

Postby NinjaSimon » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:06 pm UTC

Well, I had just finished a chemistry quiz (hess's cycle, enthaply change area, was on one topic), being really confident having actually studied the day before, running through the quiz answering all the questions thinking I had done incredibly and would have a much higher score than every other test. Then the teacher decided to read out the answers once he had collected the papers in, my heart sank so much it filled my shoe, I had nearly every calculation answer wrong, having misunderstood a great deal of the questions, my mark was really low, ie the idiot of the class did better than me.

Also, not so ouchy as before, although more relevant as we have external exams count for our grade not quizzes, I was in a chemistry exam, looking for that question worth 4 marks that I had revised on, given that this question was on every other past paper we had seen, that question was not there. That year they had decided not to include it, so I did terribly in that, having not really studied half of the stuff they had included.
You are reading my signature.

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:14 pm UTC

At the time of this story, I had already failed Calculus II.

Twice.

Third time round: I wrote a small quiz worth 5% before the final exam. It just barely brought me up to a passing mark of 60% overall. I wrote the final exam, and I swear god, my final mark was 60%. This was the only reason I managed to get out of college. If I had changed a plus sign to a minus sign or some other simple mistake, I would probably still be there.

Finding out I had a midterm the day after the midterm.
That happened to my brother once. He thought the test was the day after. He studied so hard too...
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

Ieatsoap6

Postby Ieatsoap6 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

I had a Chemistry exam last semester that I was certain I did well on. When we received the test back, I found that I scored a 9. Not a 90, not even a 19, but a 9. That's when I learned that pens really don't work on the "use no. 2 pencil only" multiple choice things. The 9 points were from some questions the professor decided to throw out and give everyone points for. After discussing it with the professor, I got a 60 something out of 60 something. It was pretty sweet.

Anpheus
I can't get any worse, can I?

Postby Anpheus » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:50 pm UTC

Ieatsoap6 wrote:I had a Chemistry exam last semester that I was certain I did well on. When we received the test back, I found that I scored a 9. Not a 90, not even a 19, but a 9. That's when I learned that pens really don't work on the "use no. 2 pencil only" multiple choice things. The 9 points were from some questions the professor decided to throw out and give everyone points for. After discussing it with the professor, I got a 60 something out of 60 something. It was pretty sweet.

You never had those scantron thingers in high school? Man, teachers would always give a lecture: "If you use a pen, don't expect any points except by sheer luck. This is a pencil. A number two pencil. USE IT." Then they'd go take a nap or something.
Spoiler:

/###\_________/###\
  |#################|
  \#################/
   |##┌         ┐##|
   |##  (¯`v´¯)  ##|
   |##  `\ ♥ /´  ##|
   |##   `\¸/´   ##|
   |##└         ┘##|
  /#################\
  |#################|
  \###/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\###/

Ieatsoap6

Postby Ieatsoap6 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:41 pm UTC

Anpheus wrote:
Ieatsoap6 wrote:I had a Chemistry exam last semester that I was certain I did well on. When we received the test back, I found that I scored a 9. Not a 90, not even a 19, but a 9. That's when I learned that pens really don't work on the "use no. 2 pencil only" multiple choice things. The 9 points were from some questions the professor decided to throw out and give everyone points for. After discussing it with the professor, I got a 60 something out of 60 something. It was pretty sweet.

You never had those scantron thingers in high school? Man, teachers would always give a lecture: "If you use a pen, don't expect any points except by sheer luck. This is a pencil. A number two pencil. USE IT." Then they'd go take a nap or something.

No, I did. I just figured the scanners looked for a dark mark and so any dark writing instrument would work. The teachers said use pencil because you could erase it. Appearantly there's more to it than that.

wst

Postby wst » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:05 am UTC

They burn it and use a spectral analyser to figure out where the marks were. They only configured it for a 2B pencil obviously.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

prime

Postby prime » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:24 pm UTC

Ieatsoap6 wrote:
Anpheus wrote:

No, I did. I just figured the scanners looked for a dark mark and so any dark writing instrument would work. The teachers said use pencil because you could erase it. Appearantly there's more to it than that.

I think they actually use reflection or something (pencil marks are shiny), otherwise pen would work.

Almost every single test I've had so far in high school (except for math tests [except for the math final]) has been scantron or had some scantron component. Lazy teachers!

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:46 pm UTC

http://web.textfiles.com/destruction/CY ... beycha.txt

10 methods of cheating the scantron. Very interesting read.

ThinkerEmeritus

Postby ThinkerEmeritus » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:13 pm UTC

I once taught a course which was too big for anything but multiple-choice exams. There was a long-standing tradition in this course of having the last one or two questions as jokes, all answers counting. There was an even longer tradition of students forgetting to sign their papers. So on one exam my last question was

"##. Have you signed this exam?
A. Yes
B. No
[If your answer is incorrectly A or correctly B, no credit can be given for this examination]."

Unfortunately, when I was leaving the class I overheard one of my students very patiently explaining to another student what I had meant by that comment.
"An expert is a person who has already made all possible mistakes." -- paraphrase of a statement by Niels Bohr
Seen on a bumper sticker: "My other vehicle is a Krebs cycle".

Return to “School”