"Ouch" moments in school

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

lgc1109

Re: "Ouch" moments in school

Postby lgc1109 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:46 pm UTC

Once I almost potentially poisoned an entire city's water supply by forgetting how to properly dispose of some carcinogenic agents? Ouch?

tricky77puzzle
Will take "No Tresspassing Signs" for 500

Postby tricky77puzzle » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:26 am UTC

Tenth Speed Writer wrote:I managed to get a C on a multiple choice mathematics test.

I hung my head low that day.

Wow, that is ouch. Still, probably not worse than this:

I missed the first two weeks of Grade 9 because I was on a vacation and it ran late. When I came back, about a month into the course, there was one piece of homework that I did where I mistakenly calculated the volume instead of the surface area of certain solids. I ended up getting 17/36 on that piece of homework, and when I got my first-term report, I was surprised (no, more like shocked) to find that that one piece of homework cost me 10 percentage points on my report card, giving me a total of 86. Why, you ask? There was a category called (I believe it was:) critical thinking. My math teacher filed the piece of homework as a "Critical thinking" assignment, and that was worth 20% of the first term mark. Because I had missed the first two weeks of school, there were two assignments that I had not done that were under "Critical thinking", and that one piece of homework was the only thing to go under that mark, costing me 10% of my mark, as I said earlier.

(Yeah, it probably is worse.)

Also in grade 9, my math teacher, as part of naming polygons, gave us a so-called "bonus" question, "How many sides are there on the White House?" Needless to say, our entire class was confused by this question.
As it turned out, she thought the White House was the Pentagon, and that her answer was 5. (Yes, my math teacher was female. Please don't laugh at me.)

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:04 am UTC

(Yes, my math teacher was female. Please don't laugh at me.)

I'm sorry, but why is that relevant? Not to be a sexism-nazi, but still.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:09 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:

Because men like crush thing. Pentagon good crushing. Men know pentagon.

stigmatizethis

Postby stigmatizethis » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:38 am UTC

6 out of 18 right on my AP Computer Science B review sheet. :cry:

I didn't really put any effort into it, and I actually copied a lot of it (I totally forgot to do it), but it still hurt when we went through it and I realized how bad I really am at all of this.
GENERATION 1-i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

tricky77puzzle

Postby tricky77puzzle » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:41 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:

http://xkcd.com/385/

Get me now?

stigmatizethis

Postby stigmatizethis » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:46 am UTC

tricky77puzzle wrote:
Sir_Elderberry wrote:

Get me now?

As much as I know you're joking, I feel differently about the topic of girls in math. Although it's probably true that women tend to be underrepresented in high math, I find female teachers to be a refreshing change of thought (read: not better or worse, rather just a different means of communicating the same point). I feel like they do a better job expressing concepts.
GENERATION 1-i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

TheNinjaPirate

Postby TheNinjaPirate » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:00 am UTC

First test in Calc 2. I hand in my test after 30 minutes--a third of the allotted time. The prof says to me as I hand it in, "Are you sure? Don't you want to check it?" I say, "I already did". Turns out i'm the first person done by about 15 minutes. So when the prof starts handing back the test (I go to a small school) he announces to the whole class, "Some people turn their tests in after only 30 minutes. And when you do that, you make mistakes. And in your case, [TheNinjaPirate], it was a pretty big one. It cost you a whole point." ouch. It's a slightly funny comment, but not in front of the whole class.

Next test...same thing. I finish way before anyone else. So when he hands back the test this time he says how much people improved their score (he doesn't really believe in privacy, obviously). When he gets to me he says, "[TheNinjaPirate] only improved his score 1 point, so it was a rather poor performance." double ouch. I don't mind people knowing how I did (good or bad) but having the prof essentially announce it is just wrong.

danpilon54

Postby danpilon54 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:56 am UTC

I hate it when profs take offense to a student being good at their subject.

A long time ago, in 8th grade band, we had a written music theory test that I apparently got a 97 on. Everyone else BOMBED it. I had taken piano lessons since I was 6 so I knew music theory pretty well. Anyway, when we got them back (he put them in little slots/mailbox things) I didnt get mine. I saw him in the front with a test (mine). He says, I would have scaled this test, but [danpilon54] got a 97 so clearly you all just didnt study enough...

OUCH
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Well, I killed a homeless man. We can't all be good people.

Eleni

Postby Eleni » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:24 pm UTC

danpilon54 wrote:I hate it when profs take offense to a student being good at their subject.

A long time ago, in 8th grade band, we had a written music theory test that I apparently got a 97 on. Everyone else BOMBED it. I had taken piano lessons since I was 6 so I knew music theory pretty well. Anyway, when we got them back (he put them in little slots/mailbox things) I didnt get mine. I saw him in the front with a test (mine). He says, I would have scaled this test, but [danpilon54] got a 97 so clearly you all just didnt study enough...

OUCH

Is that the professor taking offense, or was he pleased with you and disappointed in your classmates? In high school junior year English, our teacher was grading our first test and getting all depressed because the highest grade so far was a 73. Then I got a 98, and she was ecstatic, because it gave her some hope that she hadn't failed at teaching us. Of course, the classmates were somewhat less pleased with me...

But I'm supposed to be sharing an "ouch" moment, not a gloat moment. In that same class, I got a 20% on a pop quiz. The worst part: the pop quiz was on a single 8-page chapter which I had read. I had done the darn reading assignment, it was really short and not a hard read at all, and I was still apparently so stupid that I bombed the quiz. Ouch.
http://rpgcalledlife.blogspot.com/
(aka "Maybe if my blog is witty enough someone will finally love me")

TheNinjaPirate

Postby TheNinjaPirate » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:41 pm UTC

I think he was pleased with me...Just a weird way of showing it. I wish some profs had a better sense of the fact that grade privacy should be up to the student.

Why Two Kay

Postby Why Two Kay » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:05 am UTC

We just finished reading Hamlet in my English class. We had a total of 4 "pop" quizzes over different sections. We knew the dates, so it really wasn't "pop" but they were only daily grades.

The teacher read out 3 questions, and we answered on our piece of paper. No multiple choice, no use of book, just knowledge. There were totally plot irrelevant and were about rather ambiguous quotes. There were 2 forms to it: each row of desks alternated which form you got. I got a 67 on all four of them. That means I got 2 right, and just happened to not know the other 1 question. But, as it turns out, I usually always knew 2 on each form, and did not know 1 on each form. Therefore, had one of the questions from the other form been replacing the one on my form, I would have gotten a 100 on all of them. It was just pure luck on which questions I got asked.

Oh well. It seriously hurt my daily grade too, considering that I got a 96 on the true test-grade quiz over the book itself.
tl;dr - I said nothing important.

odenskrigare

Postby odenskrigare » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:43 am UTC

On a test, I managed to spend a whole page computing a power set when I had gotten the exact same question right on a quiz earlier and the correct answer was not hard at all to reach.

I got a C+ in that class, rofl
共和國萬歲
Salve Res Publica Popularis Sinarum Victorioso

"Til Island og Grønland og Hjaltland, gikk ferden på langskip mot vest,
i Frankrike, i Irland og England, var nordmannen ubuden gjest."

MissFatalHilarity

Postby MissFatalHilarity » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:15 am UTC

i take advanced maths at school, even though i failed the unit the year before.
i worked hard, studied and actually understood what was going on
i arrive at my final exam forthe year, sit down, and look at the paper. i aced it, oh so i thought.
i ended up getting 8% which is 2.5 question right. damn!
and the worst part was, the teacher hands the results back in score order. uess who got hers last, infront of the hole co hort...

Bluewink

Postby Bluewink » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:49 am UTC

tricky77puzzle wrote:
Sir_Elderberry wrote:

Get me now?

I hope stigmatizethis is right that you're joking... but I really don't see why this would be funny. That comic points out how the generalization that girls suck at math from some girls sucking at math is ridiculous. The way I read you, you're using it as a "proof" that all girls suck at math... Please explain to me how you're joking because right now, I'm both offended and terrified that some people still think like this.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:46 pm UTC

TheNinjaPirate wrote:I think he was pleased with me...Just a weird way of showing it. I wish some profs had a better sense of the fact that grade privacy should be up to the student.

In Germany, in theory teachers and professors are required to keep grades private by law. In practice, in 9th grade my math teacher did this after an exam about complete induction: There were three tasks and for each there were three questions to choose from with different difficulty and different points, and if you always took the easiest the best you could get would be the equivalent of a B. So what he was saying: "Ines always took the easiest or middle question and got most things right and has a B. Monika took the hardest question on the first part and needed so much time that she only finished half of the second one and didn't get to the third one and got a <equivalent of D>." Ouch! Only D in math ever. Even worse: I had already studied complete induction the year before in math club (about a third of the class, too) and he knew that.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

GuitarFreak

Postby GuitarFreak » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:57 pm UTC

I have a calc final today and I need to get a 130/150 on it just to get a C :(

Fuck me for being lazy and not doing work at the beginning of the semester...oh well.
Cooler than a bose-einstein condensate
Bakemaster wrote:I went to high school with a girl whose middle name was Nguyen and whose last name was Huynh. It was a win-win situation.

Turtle_

Postby Turtle_ » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:46 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:The stares I get when tests are handed back, and the teacher says "And as usual, [MightyJalapeno] was the only one to get an A..."

Thanks, dick.

TheNinjaPirate wrote:First test in Calc 2. I hand in my test after 30 minutes--a third of the allotted time. The prof says to me as I hand it in, "Are you sure? Don't you want to check it?" I say, "I already did". Turns out i'm the first person done by about 15 minutes. So when the prof starts handing back the test (I go to a small school) he announces to the whole class, "Some people turn their tests in after only 30 minutes. And when you do that, you make mistakes. And in your case, [TheNinjaPirate], it was a pretty big one. It cost you a whole point." ouch. It's a slightly funny comment, but not in front of the whole class.

Next test...same thing. I finish way before anyone else. So when he hands back the test this time he says how much people improved their score (he doesn't really believe in privacy, obviously). When he gets to me he says, "[TheNinjaPirate] only improved his score 1 point, so it was a rather poor performance." double ouch. I don't mind people knowing how I did (good or bad) but having the prof essentially announce it is just wrong.

danpilon54 wrote:I hate it when profs take offense to a student being good at their subject.

OUCH

"[Turtle_] was the only one who got that one right." Well yes, you taught us how to do this thirty seconds ago, it would make sense that not many people get the question right. Thanks for pointing that out.

The teacher does that on tests and other assignments too. At least it can be other people too. "[Student] the only one who got a max grade, you can check with [him/her].
"Sometimes lies were more dependable than the truth." ~ Ender's Game
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge." ~ Charles Darwin

Eloth

Postby Eloth » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:08 am UTC

So I get a take home exam in an Analytical Chemistry class, which I have all weekend to complete. I do the first few problems easily and then arrive at

5) (42 pts total) You have a 0.0100 M solution of phosphoric acid and a 0.0100 M solution of Na3PO4. How many mL or each do you need to make 100.0 mL of phosphate buffer with a pH of 8.00?

This single problem takes almost the entire rest of the weekend to complete, leaving me pissed at life and miserable. A few weeks later we get the test back and guess how I did on that question...thats right 0/42. I spent a day and a half doing a problem for which I received *absolutely no* credit. Pretty much the most humiliating grade I have ever gotten.

Note that this is also the class where I somehow got 112,000% uncertainty in a lab report.

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:31 am UTC

Over 9000 Uncertainty?!?!?!?

To be honest, I don't really know how I'm not failing my Spanish V course right now. I hardly ever do the homework, and it's even rarer that I do well on a test...
*waggles eyebrows*

Eloth

Postby Eloth » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:41 am UTC

There was obviously a mistake in the math did to find the uncertainty in my calibration curve, but in three days of searching every cell in the damned spreadsheet I never found it. Eventually the Prof just had me turn it in because he couldn't find the mistake either.

GuitarFreak

Postby GuitarFreak » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:27 am UTC

I royally fucked up that calc exam...it wasn't anything like the other exams we had, and the 2 study sessions didn't help at all. :(
Cooler than a bose-einstein condensate
Bakemaster wrote:I went to high school with a girl whose middle name was Nguyen and whose last name was Huynh. It was a win-win situation.

Osha

Postby Osha » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:35 pm UTC

Back in high school I had two state mandated standardized essay test in one day. Normally this would just be boring but no big deal; but the day before I had crashed my bicycle and took the brunt of the force on my writing (left) hand. Because of this my hand hurt quite a deal while writing. I alternated between writing with my left hand as delicately as possible while thinking "Ouch, Ouch, Ouch" and trying to be legible with my right hand. Fortunately it wasn't graded on handwriting as mine was on the brink of unreadability.

Last night I was working on the take home part of my math final and one of the questions was to come up with an equation for the recursive function [math]a_n = 4 - 2a_{n-1}, \ a_0 = 0.[/math]
I worked at this for hours and eventually came up with something that worked but is almost certainly not the answer the teacher was looking for (might not be remembering this correctly but you get the idea):
[math]a_n = -1^{n +1} \left ( {2 \left ( {n \ mod \ 2} \right ) + \sum_{i=1}^{\left \lceil \frac{n}{2} \right \rceil} 2^{i - \left ( {n \ mod \ 2} \right ) }} \right )[/math]
It works but I doubt the teacher will give me points for it.

In junior high I memorized a poem, got up in front of the class to recite it, and immediately forgot the whole thing in a moment of stage fright. That incident had me in tears.

In high school I did a math problem on the board in front of the class and made two mistakes. The mistakes canceled each other out and I was left with the right answer. No body noticed but I had to look at my two glaring errors for the next several minutes.

In Philosophy 101 class we used a textbook (not that good) written by the head of the department. The textbook had worksheets in it that we were required to rip out and turn in. Photocopies were not acceptable. Result: unable to sell back book at the end of the year and more money for the department head. I could talk at length about how much I despised the philosophy department from just that one class.

So... Warning! Rant Sighted!
Spoiler:
We covered the same material in "Ethical Dimensions of Technology" (classical philosophers oddly enough); but the teacher was 10x better and had a 10x better textbook for free on his website. In philosophy class I got marked wrong for claiming unicorns enjoy their horns on a multiple choice test. I don't care that unicorns don't exist; find one and they probably like their horn. I knew I was going to lose points but I have my principles! We just spent the whole semester talking about how God's existence is proven with horrible brain melting faulty logic, never have I felt so dirty as when regurgitating the chain of reasoning some religious guy used to arrive at his preconceived notions. And the whole class deluded themselves into thinking the philosophy 101 class was some sort of bastion of critical thinking and unique refreshing viewpoints gone unappreciated by the university at large. I'm sorry philosophy 101 teacher but you did not change my worldview; you had me in a boredom induced trance; penciling abstract drawings into the margins of my textbook 80$ paperweight for 3 hours a week.
Rage!

My Psychology teacher had us answer on a multiple choice test the color of her eyes and that Washington was not in fact the first president of the united states or some such nonsense. After going on at length about everything we learned in high school was a lie.

On a lighter note, not an ouch for me but an ouch for most of the class:
Last semester one of my teachers (who will go unnamed to protect the innocent) put some gay porn up on the projector without warning to start a short segment on things like gender issues and feminism (this was a comp sci class but he was the kind of teacher who got on tangents). This day there were no girls in the class (well except me but he didn't know that) and I hear all around me loud and varied gross out sounds. I just looked at the screen and smiled 8)

In physics class I went into one of the exams not knowing the material at all except for how resistors and capacitors added in series and parallel (really, I hadn't been to class for a couple weeks). Almost all of the test was on other stuff. Just by trying to guess which numbers in the problems matched up best with the multiple choice answers, as in "hmm.. this 56 divided by this seven is off from this answer by a factor of 100 and a little", ended up getting like 58% so ouch but not nearly as bad as expected.

OK, I think that's enough :)

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

Osha wrote:Last night I was working on the take home part of my math final and one of the questions was to come up with an equation for the recursive function [math]a_n = 4 - 2a_{n-1}, \ a_0 = 0.[/math]
I worked at this for hours and eventually came up with something that worked but is almost certainly not the answer the teacher was looking for (might not be remembering this correctly but you get the idea):
[math]a_n = -1^{n +1} \left ( {2 \left ( {n \ mod \ 2} \right ) + \sum_{i=1}^{\left \lceil \frac{n}{2} \right \rceil} 2^{i - \left ( {n \ mod \ 2} \right ) }} \right )[/math]
It works but I doubt the teacher will give me points for it.

Mmmh

Code: Select all

a0 = 0
a1 = 4 - 2*0     = 4 - 0  =   4 =   1*4
a2 = 4 - 2*4     = 4 - 8  =  -4 =  -1*4
a3 = 4 - 2*(-4)  = 4 + 8  =  12 =   3*4
a4 = 4 - 2*(12)  = 4 - 24 = -20 =  -5*4
a5 = 4 - 2*(-20) = 4 + 40 =  44 =  11*4
a6 = 4 - 2*(44)  = 4 - 88 = -84 = -21*4

0  1  -1  3  -5   11   -21
 +1 -2  +4 -8  +16  -32
=   -1     -4       -16

:evil:

I see your problem.

When you get the test back, let's know the solution!

The prof didn't know you are a girl? Are you intersexual / having a sex change?

Osha

Postby Osha » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:58 pm UTC

Just for the sake of curiosity I'll email the teacher and ask how I can get my assignment back or at least how she graded that problem, and what the right answer was. Most of the time I don't worry about obtaining graded papers after the final's over.

And yes; I'm getting a sex change, I'm just not very far along yet... starting HRT tomorrow probably.

edit: Sent out email to professor asking how it was graded and what the correct answer was. I handed it in this morning so it'll probably be awhile.

tricky77puzzle

Postby tricky77puzzle » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:23 pm UTC

Osha wrote:And yes; I'm getting a sex change, I'm just not very far along yet... starting HRT tomorrow probably.

DON'T DO I--*chokes as a tranquilizer needle is shot into my skin*

Osha

Postby Osha » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:04 am UTC

tricky77puzzle wrote:
Osha wrote:And yes; I'm getting a sex change, I'm just not very far along yet... starting HRT tomorrow probably.

DON'T DO I--*chokes as a tranquilizer needle is shot into my skin*

OK, I'll just forget about the past four months of counselling, hundreds of dollars in various expenses, and years of inner turmoil; and tell my friends and family that I was actually wishy-washy all along and sorry for getting them so excited over nothing.
Oh thank you! Thank you Tricky77puzzle, who I have never talked to before, for showing me the error of my ways! :D

(Did that come across as too harsh? Perhaps just a little... no hard feelings? 8) )

I feel like I should come up with another "Ouch" moment, let's see...
Ah yes! AV class in jr. high. During first period we had to make video announcements to be shown at the start of second period. For a few weeks we did this daily. Needless to say filming, editing, and preparing a video broadcast in 50 minutes with old equipment was very stressful. Especially so for the teacher. He'd yell all the time (not at students) and throw desks across the room (the room was quite large and had a concrete floor). Later on I heard he got throat cancer (I think he's OK now, I feel bad for not visiting because he was a good teacher). Also in Jr. High I was really introverted so being shown to the whole school on the days I was the reporter in the video was nerve racking.

beyondweird

Postby beyondweird » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:30 am UTC

There are five girls in my Physics class, and we all sat in one corner to start with.
My teacher still believes there are four girls, and my short hair and big boots make me male.
He also thinks any Philosophy students should be shot at birth. Guess who's the only Philosophy student in his whole class? And guess how many people know this fact :P
Everybody has a secret world inside of them...No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:31 am UTC

Osha wrote:Just for the sake of curiosity I'll email the teacher and ask how I can get my assignment back or at least how she graded that problem, and what the right answer was. Most of the time I don't worry about obtaining graded papers after the final's over.

edit: Sent out email to professor asking how it was graded and what the correct answer was. I handed it in this morning so it'll probably be awhile.

Don't they publish the solutions?

I am curious about the solution. This task reminds me of my above-described ouch moment regarding the induction math exam.

And yes; I'm getting a sex change, I'm just not very far along yet... starting HRT tomorrow probably.

Well, good luck and everything :) . That's one drastic way to increase the percentage of women in math and science :lol: .

Osha

Postby Osha » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:17 pm UTC

Monika wrote:Don't they publish the solutions?

I am curious about the solution. This task reminds me of my above-described ouch moment regarding the induction math exam.

Usually they give back the assignments with corrections. But since this is for the final and we never see the teachers ever again you specifically have to make arrangements with the teacher if you want it back.
Monika wrote:

Well, good luck and everything :) . That's one drastic way to increase the percentage of women in math and science :¡This cheese is burning me!: .

The ratio in computer science is especially bleak. :(

beyondweird wrote:There are five girls in my Physics class, and we all sat in one corner to start with.
My teacher still believes there are four girls, and my short hair and big boots make me male.
He also thinks any Philosophy students should be shot at birth. Guess who's the only Philosophy student in his whole class? And guess how many people know this fact :P

I guess "you" and "one" respectively!
Any physics teacher with such rigid views of gender has no business deciding who gets to be shot at birth!

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:14 pm UTC

Osha wrote:
Monika wrote:Don't they publish the solutions?

Usually they give back the assignments with corrections. But since this is for the final and we never see the teachers ever again you specifically have to make arrangements with the teacher if you want it back.

Here they don't give back finals - they can't, they have to keep them for legal reasons. But they publish the solution on their website. Well, the math and computer science profs do. The business profs still live in the 19th century ... at least one of them has his secretary print out the e-mails for him to read. All of them.

Osha wrote:
Monika wrote:

Well, good luck and everything :) . That's one drastic way to increase the percentage of women in math and science :¡This cheese is burning me!: .

The ratio in computer science is especially bleak. :(

It is. But much worse in physics. In my class, which was mixed math - computer science, we were 30% :) . In business and computer science it was about 20%. In technical computer science (related to physics and eletrical engineering) it was 1% :|

What does this cheese-burning thing mean?

wst

Postby wst » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:03 pm UTC

Monika wrote:What does this cheese-burning thing mean?
Word filter for the abbreviation of "Laughing out loud".
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:49 am UTC

Hm, but I had put it in as a smiley: :lol:

tricky77puzzle

Postby tricky77puzzle » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:59 pm UTC

Not really an "ouch" moment, but:

Yesterday, my math teacher handed back a math test, and told us that he was disappointed. The class average was 62%. Naturally, I dreaded the possibility of me making some silly mistake costing me marks, but not to the point where I got that low. But when he handed back my test, I had gotten a perfect score.

I had a good laugh.

bweezo

Postby bweezo » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:55 pm UTC

My biggest moment such as this would probably be...
When I forgot to do an entire half of a calc test last year.

Osha

Postby Osha » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:04 pm UTC

The correct answer was [math]a_n = { \left ( - \frac{4}{3} \right ) }{ \left ({-2}^{n} \right ) } + { \left ( \frac{4}{3} \right ) }[/math]
The teacher didn't say if I got that particular problem right or not but I'm thinking it was marked wrong.
And I had such an elegant solution too!
At least I got a C+ in the class, pretty good for having missed so many days and homework assignments.

Oh well reminds me of this one time in the introductory computer science class.
We had to take an input and if it was 0 print "I would like some fries."
if it was one print "I would like some fries and a hamburger."
if it was two print "I would like some fries and a hamburger and a soda."
(or something like that)
etc. up to like 4 or 5 cases or so.
The problem said to use an if statement to accomplish this. Obviously it meant a series of if and else statements, but I decided to take it literally and do the whole thing using just one (very ugly) if statement and short circuit evaluation (I was very bored).
It worked fine. The grader marked it wrong :(

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:10 am UTC

Osha wrote:The correct answer was [math]a_n = { \left ( - \frac{4}{3} \right ) }{ \left ({-2}^{n} \right ) } + { \left ( \frac{4}{3} \right ) }[/math]

:shock: :shock: :shock: :?

The teacher didn't say if I got that particular problem right or not but I'm thinking it was marked wrong.
And I had such an elegant solution too!

Solutions involving sum-symbols (or some equivalent thereof) are generally not accepted as solution for this type of question <sigh>.

Oh well reminds me of this one time in the introductory computer science class.
We had to take an input and if it was 0 print "I would like some fries."
if it was one print "I would like some fries and a hamburger."
if it was two print "I would like some fries and a hamburger and a soda."
(or something like that)
etc. up to like 4 or 5 cases or so.
The problem said to use an if statement to accomplish this. Obviously it meant a series of if and else statements, but I decided to take it literally and do the whole thing using just one (very ugly) if statement and short circuit evaluation (I was very bored).
It worked fine. The grader marked it wrong :(

Didn't he, like, run it?

Osha

Postby Osha » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:23 am UTC

Monika wrote:Solutions involving sum-symbols (or some equivalent thereof) are generally not accepted as solution for this type of question <sigh>.

Yeah, but it was just such a fun answer :)
Monika wrote:Didn't he, like, run it?

Doubtful. Since it was just a code fragment that would have involved *gasp* copying and pasting!!!

PatchMonster

Postby PatchMonster » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

I was once in my English 101 class and had put my cell phone in my backpack so my pocket didn't accidentally press the external 'play' button and start playing music during class. Ironically, in the middle of class, it went off because my books pushed the key in. I scrambled to find my cell phone in my messy backpack and by the time I could find it, the song was over (played for about 3 minutes in class, loudly). Luckily there was a substitute that day so my reputation with the instructor was untarnished :).

I was just glad my embarrassing songs didn't play :lol: .
The liberal media has a hidden agenda!

LISStryfe

Postby LISStryfe » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:35 am UTC

When I taught, I gave everyone an "Ouch" moment, my first day picking up for a class in April when the teacher fell ill.

Name:________________________

Please follow ALL directions!

Directions:

Draw a circle in the lower right hand corner of the paper.
Lick your thumb and press it against the upper right hand corner.
Draw your best picture of a cat in the upper right under your thumbprint.
Fold a dog-ear in the lower right hand corner.
Rip off your circle and dog-eared right corner.
Draw a spiral in your circle.
Write your age in the lower left hand corner.
Draw a box around your age.
Draw a dog under this text.
Write a sentence under your dog about any dog you’ve ever seen.
Draw a triangle to the left of your dog.
Ignore all other directions and simply write your name on the provided line.

Not my brightest move ever for an ice breaker. Ninth graders did NOT get it and were just angry.

Return to “School”