Life is wierd

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Chevon

Life is wierd

Postby Chevon » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:39 am UTC

So I was sitting in my Organic Chem lecture a few weeks ago, doing the student thing, when someone in the back stands up and asks the prof a question: "This is might not be entirely relevant, but what do you know about the chemistry of love?" "Not a lot, I'm afraid."

Then, the student stands up, takes off his hoodie revealing a suit, pulls out a guitar and starts struming. Another guitarist wearing a suit and a girl singing come in the lecture hall, and they all make their way to the front. Someone from the side starts playing a piano I didn't realize was there. Finally, someone in the second row jumps up, playing a violin.

They kept on playing for at least three minutes, and I kept on asking myself, was this really happening?
They finished, we applauded, then continued our lecture.

Has anyone else witnessed any unexplained acts of choreography? Or just felt that their life had turned into a musical?

jmorgan3

Re: Life is wierd

Postby jmorgan3 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:06 am UTC

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4kyRWe-egMM

These guys disrupt classes at Georgia Tech and film themselves. I was in the lecture hall when they did the "This is PHYSICS!!!!!!!" bit.
Mildly amusing.
This signature is Y2K compliant.
Last updated 6/29/108

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:32 am UTC

jmorgan3 wrote:http://youtube.com/watch?v=4kyRWe-egMM

These guys disrupt classes at Georgia Tech and film themselves. I was in the lecture hall when they did the "This is PHYSICS!!!!!!!" bit.
Mildly amusing.
$points -= 1 for spelling "you're" incorrectly in the description. Ironically, it was in the phrase "you're an idiot."

But yeah, somewhat amusing.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:45 am UTC

Chevon wrote:So I was sitting in my Organic Chem lecture a few weeks ago, doing the student thing, when someone in the back stands up and asks the prof a question: "This is might not be entirely relevant, but what do you know about the chemistry of love?" "Not a lot, I'm afraid."

Then, the student stands up, takes off his hoodie revealing a suit, pulls out a guitar and starts struming. Another guitarist wearing a suit and a girl singing come in the lecture hall, and they all make their way to the front. Someone from the side starts playing a piano I didn't realize was there. Finally, someone in the second row jumps up, playing a violin.

They kept on playing for at least three minutes, and I kept on asking myself, was this really happening?
They finished, we applauded, then continued our lecture.

Has anyone else witnessed any unexplained acts of choreography? Or just felt that their life had turned into a musical?

This may seem an awkward question, but why the fuck are musicians so constantly obsessed with love?
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:52 am UTC

In response to the topic title: Uh, duh?

Unfortunately YouTube is being retarded for me, so I can't see the video. I'll trust it's amusing.

Also: Why can't stuff like this happen in my classes? ;_;
Insert witty phrase here.

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:01 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:This may seem an awkward question, but why the fuck are musicians so constantly obsessed with love?

A) It's what people want to hear about; B) possibly musicians are more prone to be maudlin/emotional?
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

Nebulae

Postby Nebulae » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:06 am UTC

diotimajsh wrote:B) possibly musicians are more prone to be maudlin/emotional?

I really don't think so.

The Ethos

Postby The Ethos » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:45 pm UTC

Nebulae wrote:
diotimajsh wrote:B) possibly musicians are more prone to be maudlin/emotional?

I really don't think so.

Eh...there may be something to this. I was thinking about music, and how it is a primarily "right brain" associated art. The hop from creativity to emotion isn't that far. One of the funny things about our brains is that senses and emotions are tied together so very closely. Smell (arguably our most primitive sense) is our brain itself looking at the chemicals around it. Vision same thing, your brain crawled forward and looked at light patterns. Because of that, our limbic system really links smell into emotion tightly. I wikied it and found this on music:

Petr Janata found that there are tonally sensitive areas in the medial prefrontal cortex, the cerebellum, the Superior Temporal Sulci of both hemispheres and the Superior Temporal gyri (which has a skew towards the right hemisphere). When unpleasant melodies are played, the posterior cingulate cortex activates, which indicates a sense of conflict or emotional pain (Tramo, 2001). The right hemisphere has also been found to be correlated with emotion, which can also activate areas in the cingluate in times of emotional pain, specifically social rejection (Eisenberger). This evidence, along with observations, has led many musical theorists, philosophers and neuroscientists to link emotion with tonality. This seems almost obvious because the tones in music seem like a characterization of the tones in human speech, which indicate emotional content. The vowels in the phonemes of a song are elongated for a dramatic effect, and it seems as though musical tones are simply exaggerations of the normal verbal tonality.

So all those sad emo musicians are just allowing their cingulate cortex to express itself!
Thanks, and have a Scientastic day! - Dr. Venture

Chevon

Postby Chevon » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:42 am UTC

The Ethos wrote:So all those sad emo musicians are just allowing their cingulate cortex to express itself!

What about the tone deaf sad emo musicians? :wink:

This has gotten rather off topic...

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:02 am UTC

Bringing it right back on topic, then: Reach (poor quality recording, unfortunately).
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:40 pm UTC

Robin S wrote:Bringing it right back on topic, then: Reach (poor quality recording, unfortunately).

That's one of my favorite video clips on the entire internet. I like this one too.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Return to “School”