Those "school was really easy for me" people

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Kilogolf

Re: Those "school was really easy for me" people

Postby Kilogolf » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:34 am UTC

This year I took AP physics. outside of that class there have been all of two (2) tests in my life (all 15+ years of it) that I have had to study for, my Ham Radio Tech class license exam, and my Ham Radio General class license exam. If I had not taken AP physics, I could take out the "outside of that class" part.
So, school has been easy for me.

let me define easy.

I've rarely (I did once, but that was in 5th grade) gotten anything below a C in any class on my report card. Actually, not counting progress reports, the only time I've gotten a D was in 5th grade
I do all my homework (all of my teachers have been/are strict about turning in homework, that's how you pass the class)
I have never (outside of AP physics) studied for a school test.
and 90% is a decent grade (unless it's curved, but I've only had one class where I've needed it to be curved).

Yeah.

AP classes (at my school at least) are about 4-8 times harder than honors classes. So, honors feels easy, but AP passes the threshold and goes to unbearably hard.

Unicyclist

Postby Unicyclist » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:22 pm UTC

I attend a D school and I've never found school difficult, never actually cared. I can do all the work and have a D, or only the classwork and have an A. I'm not sure how it works out, it's rather frustrating... In my American History honors course I've maintained a D average over the past three quarters, the first semester only doing quizzes. This last quarter I did ALL the work and there was no noticeable difference in my grade, which rather pisses me off. This next quarter I guess I have to do ALL the work, and subliminal assignments to pass the class >.>. A friend of mine in this same class did all the same work as me, and ended with an A. He often got lower grades on the homeworks than I did, sometimes the tests; yet, he still got an A and I got a D.

Conclusion: school is fucked up
don't plow that beautiful field!

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:13 pm UTC

Grade school was, as a whole, incredibly easy for me. I never studied, did my homework in class, etc. I got straight As. The glaring exception to this would be 7th and 8th grade math. I studied my ass off and still failed the tests. I managed B+s in those classes because I did do all the homework.
High school was more or less the same, but I only took it for a year and a half. The difference was that I had enough homework I couldn't get it all done in class.
College is not so easy. I still have never actually studied (save for two classes - Geology and Philosophy of Education), but I do have to pay close attention in class most of the time, and it does get difficult to write long-ish papers and grasp some concepts the first time I hear them on occasion.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

stockpot

Postby stockpot » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:51 am UTC

3tard wrote:So heres a question to the more experienced in life, how do I keep myself mentally stimulated without eating up my free time or disturbing class to get more in depth explanations, and is beefing up my workload with 3 intensive senior courses a good idea as a sophomore?
Boring classes are indeed unpleasant places to be. Keep doing side projects, study things that interest you in your spare time, ask for those in-depth explanations after class, and fill your social life up with neat people and things. Admittedly, all that will eat up your free time, but when you're engaged and having fun, boring classes and not enough time don't seem to matter so much.

As long as the corresponding classes are well-taught, you shouldn't have any problem taking AP tests as a sophomore. Depending on how calculus-ey your precalc. course is, you might have trouble with physics, though. You need calculus to do physics, and unless your physics teacher is also an excellent math teacher, your math skills won't be up to the level at which you need them to be at the beginning of the year. I tried to take Calc AB and an AP-Physics-and-then-some course at the same time during my junior year, and I ended up totally swamped and having to drop my science for the year. Does your school offer an AP Chem course? That requires very little math and would let you put physics off for another year until you could get more out of it. And as long as you're reading real latin (rather than, say, Wheelock sentences) in latin III, Vergil shouldn't be an issue.
Can you take three advanced courses all at once? Sure, so long as your other classes will be fairly low commitment (you decide what that means), and you can handle stress pretty well. I don't know your school, but hopefully things will be both harder and more interesting. Possibly too hard. If, say, the sophomore english class at your school is notoriously difficult, and you're a slow reader, and you also panic at the thought of three major exams in one week, then you might want to cut back to one or two.

Swirlify

Postby Swirlify » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:39 am UTC

I (think I) am one of these peoples. Personally, I don't think I'm really that much more intelligent than anyone else in my classes. It may be 'cause I have an above average short/mid term memory. So I think it mostly depends on how your teacher grades things.

I asked my math teacher and homework is something like 5% of our final mark at the end of the school year. Then again, we do a shit load of quizzes and tests in math, so the only explanation I can come up with is that I'm quite good a exams/testing. I'm one of those people that finishes math tests super-quickly. Then I get bored and do all the questions using a different method or something...then doodle all over the margins...then write random comments to the person marking... My weak points are English Language Arts (Lit.) and Social Studies (History) because I have the tendency to try and explain things in the quickest and clearest way possibly. But I get good grades as long as I remember to point out obvious stuff and expand my explanations.

It sounds so pretentious, but yeah I could probably get a 95% average in school if I tried, but motivation has been one of my long-time problems. Alberta basically has students in grade 3 do these 'Achievement Exams' and I got branded as gifted, then promptly went on to almost fail grade 3 because I didn't like doing homework. Delicious Irony. Later I was one of the top students in grade 6, but then again it's elementary so whatever.I got above 90% averages for grades 7 and 8, but slipped down to above 80% in grade 9 because I started frequently skipping and stopped doing any assignments I wasn't interested in. I shaped up a bit for Grade 10 Honours classes (basically AP) and got above 85% grades, still frequently skipping. I'm in grade 11 or IB year 1 now and according to my grades last semester I've still got above 85% in all subjects. This seems weird to me because I frequently skip mornings (around twice a week) or skip the whole day (around thrice a month). I suspect administration is going to hunt me down for truancy soon. I've never really actually sat down and done more than an hour of actual daily homework this year. Basically when I have a lab formal or a math portfolio or an IA or something I'll just skip the morning and do it in a 4 hour sitting or something.

Mine is the supreme arrogance and confidence of someone who has not fallen, but will. Very soon. I hate school, and I have no work ethic.

Oh God, I'm screwed for life.

3tard

Postby 3tard » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:29 pm UTC

stockpot wrote:Suff

Much appreciated advice. I am a little nervous about the sudden workload jump going into next year. This year I am assigned almost no work (or the work assigned isnt counted), but next year, I will have nightly assignments in all of my classes, including 15 lines of translation in latin (we are translating martial now, and soon moving on to a few dido poems).

Basically, now and up until now i havent had to try in school, and I am afraid that when I get to a part where I will have to try, that I wont like it, but I will have a hard time dropping the stuff thats making me try because of the pressure put on me by my peers and my teachers.

circasirvibing

Postby circasirvibing » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:00 pm UTC

What makes me kind of angry is how I coasted through high school, but now that I'm in university it's a whole new ball game. It seems like High School did a really bad job of preparing me for post-secondary courses. If I could get 90s in all of my subject with barely even reading the material, how is that ever going to prepare me for a real class? School was easy for me in high school, but I think I now understand that the teachers were gearing the subject matter to the kids with the lower marks in the class so it let a lot of people just slide by.

Cycle

Postby Cycle » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:07 am UTC

A really big issue is the difficulty of classes. College was way to easy for me, but I went to a pretty crappy public school. What does "way easy" mean? Never studied + stoned in class all the time + 3 years = BS with a 4.0

I don't mean to brag or anything. Like I said, I went to the hometown college. Now that I'm going to a good college for grad school, things are hard. It doesn't help that I've had to undo never-do-work-to-get-free-A's habits that I've built up for the past 16 years.

My point is, if you're in the right place, it won't be easy. It shouldn't be easy. If you continue your education and go to the best place you can, I guarantee it'll get hard.

ICDB

Postby ICDB » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:08 am UTC

3tard wrote:Stuff

Are you taking Physics B or C? That could affect how much math is actually needed. If you are taking C, the calculus one, intense calculus isn't really needed. The most common thing seems to be integrating something in the form of k int (1/x2) dx or something.

What do you do to keep yourself stimulated? I do that sort of thing sometimes -- I tend to have a problem procrastinating, but sometimes I'm not doing what I should be doing because I'm working on another project, like Python, which I'm trying out now. If it's not classes at a center or something, why not just cut back? Chillin' with the bros/chicks is time well spent imo.

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:36 am UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:
The Anarthrous wrote:
ICDB wrote:... how do you write that fast?

A +2 Mechanical Pencil of Speed. You can buy them at your local campus store, surely.

Yeah, but who has 50,000 gold pieces to spend on a mechanical pencil?

It's a lot easier in math classes, since you only need to write down everything the professor writes on the board. In other classes notes should be notes - i.e. write down important phrases, quotes mentioned in class, and enough to get a general sense of what is going on. This keeps you better focused than if you tried to write down everything that is said.

I do exactly the same thing - write lots of notes to help focus in class, but rarely look back at them. Sometimes I'll refer back in the middle of a class if there is a reference to something we did earlier, or right before class starts so I can remember what we were doing at the end of the previous class, but I'm not the kind of person who reads over their notes at home after class.
It's actually 72,300.99 gp.

But yeah, definitely don't write down everything on the board (except in math; even then, not always). I see so many people copying down the slides (or the board) word-for-word. It's not worth it. I prefer not to take notes (except in math, where I like to have the proofs of everything to look at), but if you like to take notes, don't dodge the "thinking" part of being in class. That is a very good route to failure.

When you take notes, realize that your brain is spending clock cycles on your hand. Minimize the amount of time being put into your hand, and maximize the amount of time being put into filtering and assimilation. This cuts down on study time before tests, giving you more time to do homework, and you will do that homework faster because you have a better grasp of the concepts. Notes are nice if you are sleepy and can't pay attention, but you really do have to go back to the notes afterwards.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:27 pm UTC

I find that the effectiveness of note taking depends so much on the individual and the nature of the class being taken (and the teacher's technique) that it is quite difficult to generalize. Nonetheless, it is indeed safe to say that it is an excellent way of keeping awake.

3tard

Postby 3tard » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:45 am UTC

ICDB wrote:
3tard wrote:Stuff

Are you taking Physics B or C? That could affect how much math is actually needed. If you are taking C, the calculus one, intense calculus isn't really needed. The most common thing seems to be integrating something in the form of k int (1/x2) dx or something.

What do you do to keep yourself stimulated? I do that sort of thing sometimes -- I tend to have a problem procrastinating, but sometimes I'm not doing what I should be doing because I'm working on another project, like Python, which I'm trying out now. If it's not classes at a center or something, why not just cut back? Chillin' with the bros/chicks is time well spent imo.

According to my schools program of study (dont ask me why i have a copy on my desk), its Physics B. My physics teacher (really smart guy, worked on the COBE satellite that won the nobel prize before he started teaching at my school) says that with precalculus taken I can take his AP class without much trouble.
My spare time is spent doing different things. I have a novel that I've recently started on (I dont think its very good writing, but my english teacher says that I am one of the most talented writers, so she lets me get off from assignments if I read some of my work in class). I spend about 3-4 hours a week on that. Occasionally I write a simple game for flash (I know if I tried hard I could learn to program better things, but I dont feel like investing much time in it). I stimulate myself with scientific american during science class, attic greek I/II in latin, and precalc in algebra II(prereq for AP physics).
So yeah, I do a lot of stuff. I've been trying to keep social with my friends outside of school, but its hard because of the pressure put on me by these outside things. Today I had my friend over and we fooled around with guitar hero and had a good time. This was the first social thing ive done outside of school in six weeks.

syckls

Postby syckls » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:11 am UTC

3tard wrote:According to my schools program of study (dont ask me why i have a copy on my desk), its Physics B. My physics teacher (really smart guy, worked on the COBE satellite that won the nobel prize before he started teaching at my school) says that with precalculus taken I can take his AP class without much trouble.
My spare time is spent doing different things. I have a novel that I've recently started on (I dont think its very good writing, but my english teacher says that I am one of the most talented writers, so she lets me get off from assignments if I read some of my work in class). I spend about 3-4 hours a week on that. Occasionally I write a simple game for flash (I know if I tried hard I could learn to program better things, but I dont feel like investing much time in it). I stimulate myself with scientific american during science class, attic greek I/II in latin, and precalc in algebra II(prereq for AP physics).
So yeah, I do a lot of stuff. I've been trying to keep social with my friends outside of school, but its hard because of the pressure put on me by these outside things. Today I had my friend over and we fooled around with guitar hero and had a good time. This was the first social thing ive done outside of school in six weeks.

You seem on the right track to me. My general advice is to do some kind of independent work or study in a field that you are interested in. That can translate into valuable experience later in life. I just recently discovered an interest in math, and although I'm a junior and it's too late for me to put a great contest score on my college resume, studying math will still give me an edge that I may need.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world: those who accept the Law of the Excluded Middle, those who don't, and those who are neither of the above.

ICDB

Postby ICDB » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:47 pm UTC

If doing no social things for 6 weeks is fine for you, then you seem set. For me, it would be a different story, but we're not talking about me.
What's the novel about?

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:29 pm UTC

++$_ wrote:It's actually 72,300.99 gp.

According to SRD, the speed affix is a +3 equivalent, making your +2 pencil of speed a +5 weapon, which costs is 52*2000 gp=50,000 gp plus the cost of a masterwork mechanical pencil. Not happening to know what a mechanical pencil costs, I rounded to the nearest 1000 gp.

I take it if I had access to a more up-to-date DMG it would tell me that speed is now a +4 equivalent, bringing the total up to 72,300 plus the cost of a mechanical pencil?
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

3tard

Postby 3tard » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:39 am UTC

ICDB wrote:If doing no social things for 6 weeks is fine for you, then you seem set. For me, it would be a different story, but we're not talking about me.
What's the novel about?

Its about a kid who sees how much society sucks in the real world and does something like hikikomori (complete physical isolation from other humans) and becomes a major player in an internet war. Its going pretty well so far.
I still talk to my friends in school, its just our schedules never line up, especially mine because of the extra shit im doing. (on a side note, i just got my results back from the national latin exam, the bigger brother of the greek exam im taking on friday, and i got a 38/40 on it, a gold medal and the top score for the class).

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:52 pm UTC

Guys, clearly you want a continuous-use Haste attached to a pencil, which will only costs 30,000 gp.

On topic- I think quickly; I work quickly; I read quickly. For a long time I was a "eh, grades don't matter" sort of person, and rarely if ever taking more than half of the time allotted for a test meant I generally did well enough on the tests to excuse any sloppiness on the homework. Near the end of my high school career I decided that it was shameful to be getting worse grades than other people because of laziness on my part, and so started working harder and getting all As instead of mostly As. That has faded somewhat (I'm not going to half of my classes this semester), but for subjects I care about it's still there.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

danielk

Postby danielk » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:29 am UTC

As one of "those" people... I have a couple things to say. Maybe more.

First, my GPA is a little higher than 4.3 The last time I checked was when I filled out the CommonApp.
I think I operated under the assumption that it is too easy. Never doubted it. (Except in English. God I hate that class. It's like she's punishing us for being AP rejects [more on that later])
I try to always pay attention in class or if the teacher isn't teaching well enough (for me that's MIT OpenCourseWare standards) I just do it myself.
I love math and when I can, I try to prove everything that I'm being told to memorize. Instead of memorizing a large equation, I'd memorize maybe 3 fundamental equations and then just derive the answer from that on a test.
I haven't touched physics homework and yet I have one of the highest grades in the class and I plan on majoring in physics. I think that as far as high school physics goes, understanding the concept completely means you don't have to do homework. It's all busywork unless you're getting assigned the last few problems.

Oh. I did have a huge motivational factor throughout high school. I wanted to go to MIT. So everytime I was about to give up, I'd think, "Don't because if you fail this class you won't get in." I didn't fail any classes and yet I still didn't get in. And as a second semester senior, I have no motivation now.

That's much more than a couple so I'll leave it at that.

goblin_subway
Location: Kansas City, Kansas, USoA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby goblin_subway » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:24 am UTC

I hate quoting to make a point, but I find this helps me alot when I think something like "I am smarter than them".

Richard Geni- "You know what the average person is? Average"
I am Jack's overused quote.
Oh, almost forgot. Fuck MENSA.

TheMagicalTurtle

Postby TheMagicalTurtle » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:40 pm UTC

One possibility is simply the way their brain works compared to yours. For example, I've always been amazing in history courses. I've never studied them, never really put work into it, but I excel in history courses for one reason: I have an outrageous memory.

Now consider that a lot of American education below universities is pure memorize+test, and now anyone with a good memory has an inherent advantage, whether they're actually smarter or not.

ICDB

Postby ICDB » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:58 am UTC

Re 3tard:

"internet war" ... sounds pretty razz to me :P (*RAZZ*)

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:20 am UTC

I was one of those people.

It comes down to how high schools are structured, and to individual strengths. You can do well without trying in HS without being especially intelligent--you just need to have the few traits that high schools really cater towards.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

'Tis true. Especially with homework.

In high school, homework is 40% of your grade or somesuch, so if you don't do every problem set you're doomed to failure. This is supposed to help build work habits.

In college, menial (non-project, non-paper) homework is roughly 10-20% of your grade. You can only a fraction of it and ace the course!
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:43 pm UTC

I find it depends on interest and understanding. I did not have to study for Science or Math because as it was taught, I naturally developed an understanding. All other classes were treated the same. And so I got straight A's in Math and Science, and C's in everything else. But because of the school system here (UK), the "everything else" didn't mean jack cause you only do 3-4 subjects in your last 2 years of school, and that's what the universities are interested in. So I did science and math and did my best to forget everything else. Only at University did I actually have to start studying (which is remarkably difficult after years of not - so have pity on our kind).
Anyways... I've yet to meet someone who found EVERY subject easy because:
1) Savants are few and far between
2) Some subjects, like history of Lit require study, not understanding.

Most people who say they found school easy just mean that working came natural.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

Return to “School”