Stupid School Policies

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

UnderRock

Re: Stupid School Policies

Postby UnderRock » Thu May 01, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

-No rips or holes in your clothes. This means anywhere in your clothes, it has nothing to do with indecent exposure. If you were wearing jeans, and there was a hole over your shin, you'd be disciplined. Even if the hole is covered on the bottom.
-No more than 1 person to a stall... they actually have this rule listed in our planners.

Also, if the school doesn't want to accept the donation, then what about donating it to a charity? I'm sure the organization you give it to will be much more grateful. Honestly, that is an idiotic policy, isn't driving much more dangerous?

Sine Nomen

Postby Sine Nomen » Thu May 01, 2008 10:28 pm UTC

My old highschool had some pretty stupid ideas about student parking. They considered on-campus parking a wonderful privilege students should be honored to receive. They thought it was only proper to take your parking place for a number of silly reasons. My favorite policy was the required attendance to keep a parking place. It read about as follows:

A student will lose their parking place if they have
a. Unexcused tardies totaling to 6 or more, or
b. Any combination of tardies, absences, or early-dismissals totaling to 12 or more.

So hear was the deal. A student has 5 unexcused tardies, but no other attendance infractions. Student oversleeps and leaves the house in time to miss 5 minutes of the first class. If said student proceeds on to school, parking privileges will be revoked. If student rolls over, goes back to sleep, and misses the WHOLE day. All will be well.

Guess what I did when I was running late for school?

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Thu May 01, 2008 10:57 pm UTC

Sine Nomen wrote:b. Any combination of tardies, absences, or early-dismissals totaling to 12 or more.

So if you are let out of school early (ie for a sports game), you lose your parking space? Or is this just if you ditch halfway through class? Because early-dismissal sounds like the former.

Some_Random_Guy

Postby Some_Random_Guy » Thu May 01, 2008 11:21 pm UTC

No public displays of affection.

I don't understand why. It's a totally victimless "crime," if you can call it that.
I don't like Haikus
I think that they're all stupid
Is this ironic?

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Fri May 02, 2008 2:41 am UTC

Some_Random_Guy wrote:No public displays of affection.

I don't understand why. It's a totally victimless "crime," if you can call it that.

It depends how you define "displays of affection". It can be pretty distracting. But I've also heard of people who get in trouble for, say, holding hands, which is pretty victimless, yeah.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

niteice

Postby niteice » Fri May 02, 2008 3:50 am UTC

In a smaller school (such as mine) it can hold up traffic. For my first two years of HS, nearly every couple stopped in front of my locker to make out. So much for that neat little rule of not being late to class.

Which brings me to my next point, teachers are discouraged from letting students use the bathroom during class, instead suggesting the students go during lunch (20 minutes is not enough to eat and piss apparently) or between classes (where 4 minutes is never enough to go to one's locker and the requisite restroom). I guess it wouldn't be such a terrible problem if they didn't lock all but one of the bathrooms.
GENERATION 4294967292: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum, negate the generation, and convert it to a 32-bit unsigned integer. Social experiment.

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Postby OmenPigeon » Fri May 02, 2008 4:15 am UTC

My high school's dress code was wonderfully self-defeating. We only had two rules: first, everyone had to be wearing underwear. Second, no one can see your underwear.

Of course, any situation where a teacher or administrator would see you wearing no underwear and be able to tell has significantly larger problems associated with it than a dress code infraction. I'm pretty sure this was the one rule I never heard of anyone getting in trouble for.
As long as I am alive and well I will continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the earth, and to take pleasure in scraps of useless information.
~ George Orwell

Mr. Freeman

Postby Mr. Freeman » Fri May 02, 2008 7:39 am UTC

Our school decided that they we shouldn't eat lunch on the bottom floor (the school is 2 floors and the cafeteria is upstairs), so they decided to lock all of those gates that block off hallways.

They did this for all of about 4 days. On day 5, the fire marshal showed up (due to a huge, and rightfully so, number of parent complaints) and he looked pissed when he saw what was going on. All I saw was him walking into the main office and then 90 seconds later about 4 administrators literally SPRINTING, keys in hand, to unlock the gates.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Fri May 02, 2008 10:01 am UTC

OmenPigeon wrote:My high school's dress code was wonderfully self-defeating. We only had two rules: first, everyone had to be wearing underwear. Second, no one can see your underwear.
If they didn't have that rule, you know that sooner or later someone would have turned up to school naked or in underwear.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Fri May 02, 2008 10:18 am UTC

Robin S wrote:
OmenPigeon wrote:My high school's dress code was wonderfully self-defeating. We only had two rules: first, everyone had to be wearing underwear. Second, no one can see your underwear.
If they didn't have that rule, you know that sooner or later someone would have turned up to school naked or in underwear.

A rule like that would just have encouraged some people from my sixth form to turn up without underwear, or naked, or only in underwear.

Actually, we did come in as the cast of Rocky Horror once, so yeah, some of us were only in underwear.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Fri May 02, 2008 10:34 am UTC

School uniform was a big problem in my school (getting people to wear it properly), like it seems to be in every British school (where uniforms are almost universal). But one year we had a teacher who was REALLY anal about immodesty in girls (he only taught there for a year before he got sick of how awful my school was and left). At the end of every assembly, he would let all the boys leave, and then make the girls form a few rows in front of him. Any school jumper or blazer had to be removed if you were wearing it, so that that the only thing you were wearing on top was your school shirt. Then, you had to lift your hands as far above your head as you can. If any skin can be seen between shirt and trousers, you get a detention. If you didn't have your own jumper to cover it, you also get given a MASSIVE grey jumper from a box to wear all day, that has been worn by countless other students.

My friend, who went to a much stricter school, was made to kneel down on the floor with the other girls at the start of every day. Anyone whose skirt didn't then reach the floor would be given detention. Any student could also be pulled aside at any moment for a 'spot bible-check' where they would be asked to present their bible - if they couldn't, £20 fine.
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

Awia

Postby Awia » Fri May 02, 2008 6:57 pm UTC

They got fined £20 for not having a bible with them, in school? Schools can fine you money?
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

jakeyizle

Postby jakeyizle » Fri May 02, 2008 7:29 pm UTC

Awia wrote:They got fined £20 for not having a bible with them, in school? Schools can fine you money?

Might be a private school.
"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."
Robert Pirsig

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Fri May 02, 2008 9:04 pm UTC

My school used to have many of the policies that vqcg mentioned [except the bible thing, but had they been able to get away with it I bet they would have].

One thing that always tickled me: the boy's school associated with my school explicitly had a "no make-up" rule. And I knew the boy they invented that rule because of :)

@OP, I think you should keep trying, maybe get a petition or something. Promoting biking seems like a great idea to me.

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Fri May 02, 2008 10:38 pm UTC

At my school, if any couples tried to show affection during high-traffic times, they'd probably get killed. I can't think of anybody who'd really stop or try to move around them, pretty much everybody at my school is like me, where the proper method is to do a half turn, put your shoulder in, and shove the person of your gender out of the way, then continue. Keeps the traffic moving.

For stupid school policies, my school has been known to get a little insane with "gang clothing/colours". People have complained a lot about administration giving detentions for bandannas, handkerchiefs, and the like, which ticks a lot of people off as there's really no reason for it here. People have also been asked to remove coats for being "too long". Then there's student parking...that's going to blow up before too long. The student "parking lot" is a gravel...pit, although that's generous, which probably causes hundreds of dollars in damage every year, and the principle's threatening to tow anybody who tries to park out front in the paved area. Currently students are planning to just block off the driveway to the school completely until they're allowed to park in a place that won't wreck their cars, or the student parking is paved.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sat May 03, 2008 3:20 am UTC

vqcg wrote:School uniform was a big problem in my school (getting people to wear it properly), like it seems to be in every British school (where uniforms are almost universal). But one year we had a teacher who was REALLY anal about immodesty in girls (he only taught there for a year before he got sick of how awful my school was and left). At the end of every assembly, he would let all the boys leave, and then make the girls form a few rows in front of him. Any school jumper or blazer had to be removed if you were wearing it, so that that the only thing you were wearing on top was your school shirt. Then, you had to lift your hands as far above your head as you can. If any skin can be seen between shirt and trousers, you get a detention. If you didn't have your own jumper to cover it, you also get given a MASSIVE grey jumper from a box to wear all day, that has been worn by countless other students.

My friend, who went to a much stricter school, was made to kneel down on the floor with the other girls at the start of every day. Anyone whose skirt didn't then reach the floor would be given detention. Any student could also be pulled aside at any moment for a 'spot bible-check' where they would be asked to present their bible - if they couldn't, £20 fine.

This shit right here? This is bullshit. People who think they can own women's bodies make me angry. "Immodesty" what the hell. If I had your teacher I would consider myself to be sexually harassed. aaaargh why are people so evil

My school's mostly pretty good. There are a number of stupid policies having to do with the laptops they loan to us for the year. Like, we're not ever supposed to play games on it or use it for anything other than schoolwork, even when we're not at school. Psh yeah, like that's a realistic policy.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sat May 03, 2008 7:27 am UTC

I'm pro-modesty. When young teenage girls dress like sluts, they don't necessarily know what kinds of trouble they might be inviting themselves into. I can't speak on behalf of where you live, but my hometown is famous because Tracey Emin got raped there [I'm surprised there isn't a plaque]. In a way, it seems sensible to tell the girls to un-roll their skirts so that they cover the knees how they're supposed to. At least then, the local colour cannot misconstrue their appearance as provocative.

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Sat May 03, 2008 7:46 am UTC

Awia wrote:They got fined £20 for not having a bible with them, in school? Schools can fine you money?

It was part of the government's 'Academy' program, with a rich, very Christian, financial backer.
This school is also in the news a lot as being probably the only school this side of the Atlantic that fights for it's right to teach Creationism in Science lessons.

Some_Random_Guy

Postby Some_Random_Guy » Sat May 03, 2008 6:22 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
Some_Random_Guy wrote:No public displays of affection.

It depends how you define "displays of affection". It can be pretty distracting. But I've also heard of people who get in trouble for, say, holding hands, which is pretty victimless, yeah.

No, I'm talking about hand-holding and hugs.
I don't like Haikus
Is this ironic?

Awia

Postby Awia » Sat May 03, 2008 6:50 pm UTC

vqcg wrote:It was part of the government's 'Academy' program, with a rich, very Christian, financial backer.
This school is also in the news a lot as being probably the only school this side of the Atlantic that fights for it's right to teach Creationism in Science lessons.

Why don't they teach it in Religious Education lessons (Or, like mine calls it, philosophy), like every other school?
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Sat May 03, 2008 8:05 pm UTC

Awia wrote:
vqcg wrote:It was part of the government's 'Academy' program, with a rich, very Christian, financial backer.

Why don't they teach it in Religious Education lessons (Or, like mine calls it, philosophy), like every other school?

They do, of course. But they want it taught in Science lessons because, as far as they're concerned, it's Science.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Sun May 04, 2008 12:09 am UTC

Our school was quite vehemently anti-snow. Whenever any dumping of snow fell over our area (which is maybe once or twice sometime between Jan and May for a day or two when it lies), a crack squad of elite special forces units is mobilised. The groundsmen (normally taking care of rugby pitches) would unload 15 metric tonnes of grit on the yard area and school drive, and any snow left would be blowtorched before start-up time in the morning. "NO SNOWBALLING" signs would be printed off by the dozen, and pinned to every notice board, doorway and ceiling. Usually on-the-spot detentions were the stakes. Games lessons would be invariably cancelled, and shoved indoors, or rather than ruining the oh-so-perfect (read: wrecked by November) rugby pitches with melting snow and the effects of such mud when 50 teenage males charge across it, cross-country runs on the nearby moor were the case.

Morglor9

Postby Morglor9 » Sun May 04, 2008 8:44 am UTC

My college has a "Fragrance Free" policy, whereby no one is supposed to wear perfume, aftershave, or cologne because of peoples' allergies. Makes sense, until you ask the girl in my class for whom the scented bathroom soap is strong enough to trigger her allergies.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Sun May 04, 2008 9:00 am UTC

My school had a no black clothes rule, to try to stop gangs, who for the most part wore colors that weren't black.

They banned wallball, which involved chucking a tennis ball at a wall, bouncing it off, and then running and touching the wall before the pitcher got the ball and threw it back again. otherwise you get pegged in the butt by the pitcher with the aforementioned tennis ball.

Since that was banned, I once, over the course of a month or 2, dug a hole about 3 feet deep and 2 feet wide with a spoon. Boredom FTW!

They tried to make it a closed campus but it doesnt stop anyone from leaving after lunch with the sole excuse of "I have work" regardless of if you had a class or not.

The on campus cop was a worthless lazy pig. (fat, smelly, etc)

It was the better quality school in my area, and the highest level classes it taught were things like college level bio1, cal1, physics1, and such like that. nothing more than that. I moved to San Antonio, and I hear all these kids talking about how their genetics class in highschool blah blah blah.

stockpot

Postby stockpot » Sun May 04, 2008 6:11 pm UTC

My favorite rule from my middle school (the last place I had a dress code): "No costumes that scatter feathers all over the place."

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Sun May 04, 2008 7:49 pm UTC

Stupid School Policy: Making kids get up and come to school every day. Especially at 7:30 in the morning.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

jmorgan3

Postby jmorgan3 » Sun May 04, 2008 9:31 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:Stupid School Policy: Making kids get up and come to school every day. Especially at 7:30 in the morning.

I can barely remember any of my first-period classes for this very reason.

College and 10:00 AM wake-ups are MUCH better.

To any graduating high-school seniors: do not take 8:00AM classes in college.
This signature is Y2K compliant.
Last updated 6/29/108

glisp42

Postby glisp42 » Sun May 04, 2008 10:53 pm UTC

jmorgan3 wrote:
aleflamedyud wrote:Stupid School Policy: Making kids get up and come to school every day. Especially at 7:30 in the morning.

I can barely remember any of my first-period classes for this very reason.

College and 10:00 AM wake-ups are MUCH better.

To any graduating high-school seniors: do not take 8:00AM classes in college.

I would disagree with that but then, I'm the weirdo morning person who's up at 6AM that everybody loves to hate.

Some_Random_Guy

Postby Some_Random_Guy » Sun May 04, 2008 11:51 pm UTC

7:30, I have to wake up at freakin' 6:30 for public school!
I don't like Haikus
Is this ironic?

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Mon May 05, 2008 5:35 am UTC

What possible reason could they have for not allowing students to carry backpacks? That makes no sense to me. You're supposed to carry around six classes worth of books with your hands?
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon May 05, 2008 1:37 pm UTC

glisp42 wrote:I would disagree with that but then, I'm the weirdo morning person who's up at 6AM that everybody loves to hate.

Yay! We are no longer alone!
Though I've found other people's sleeping habits at uni have kicked me out of this. I wake up less at that time if I've been kept up by noise. But yeah, in an ideal world.. There's no time better than the early hours.

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Mon May 05, 2008 1:49 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote:
glisp42 wrote:I would disagree with that but then, I'm the weirdo morning person who's up at 6AM that everybody loves to hate.

Though I've found other people's sleeping habits at uni have kicked me out of this. I wake up less at that time if I've been kept up by noise. But yeah, in an ideal world.. There's no time better than the early hours.

There's another one here. Unless my flatmates have been out the night before and come in at 6, I'm usually the first in the kitchen of a morning. I really can't sleep later then about 8, even if I wanted to most of the time.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon May 05, 2008 1:57 pm UTC

Mmmm, Pi wrote:There's another one here. Unless my flatmates have been out the night before and come in at 6, I'm usually the first in the kitchen of a morning. I really can't sleep later then about 8, even if I wanted to most of the time.

I'm the same, but seasonal. Left to my own devices, I'm up with the Sun. I keep waking up at 5:30 on bright days, though in winter I tend to wake up closer to 9

Sine Nomen

Postby Sine Nomen » Mon May 05, 2008 2:01 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:You could not carry a coat or a backpack, except before and after school.

We had the same policy at my middle school. It was weakly enforced the first two years, so I just kept right along carrying my backpack. They got really stiff about the third year. It was then that I discovered that you were also not allowed to carry a cardboard box with all your stuff in it. My solution? I just stopped taking my books to classes.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Mon May 05, 2008 2:34 pm UTC

Mmmm, Pi wrote:

There's another one here. Unless my flatmates have been out the night before and come in at 6, I'm usually the first in the kitchen of a morning. I really can't sleep later then about 8, even if I wanted to most of the time.

You people are freaks.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Mon May 05, 2008 3:22 pm UTC

Mother Superior wrote:You people are freaks.

Not really, although it is annoying when you have to be quiet in the mornings and your flatmates are really loud in the evenings because they forget that you are upstairs trying to sleep at eleven. Sometimes I feel like getting my trumpet out and playing a reveille, but then I would be hated by everybody, so I stop with that idea.

Pi is still tasty.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Mon May 05, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Mmmm, Pi wrote:
Mother Superior wrote:You people are freaks.

Not really, although it is annoying when you have to be quiet in the mornings and your flatmates are really loud in the evenings because they forget that you are upstairs trying to sleep at eleven. Sometimes I feel like getting my trumpet out and playing a reveille, but then I would be hated by everybody, so I stop with that idea.

I can't sleep earlier than midnight, or later that seven. Normal time is 2-6. Try that, normal people.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Mon May 05, 2008 9:49 pm UTC

Any time before 11-12, it's absolutely impossible for me to sleep (but parents force me to pretend to sleep earlier, which is what books are for), and getting up varies with the season and school. During the winter months, my body is able to seamlessly shift between getting up at 7 for school, and 3pm for weekends and holidays. During the summer+school period, I seem to always wake up around 7, and when summer break comes along, by body shifts towards getting up at around 10-12.

So basically I can get up easily whenever I have to/want to, but I prefer to be nocturnal, and lean towards the later hours whenever I have the choice.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Mon May 05, 2008 9:54 pm UTC

I tend to go to a rotational sleeping plan, if left to my own devices. I can function on the 4 hours of sleep method, but when I sleep 8 hours, I tend to stay up about 18 or so. I'd probably do great in space, 'cept for the lack of cows.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Mon May 05, 2008 10:23 pm UTC

Some_Random_Guy wrote:

7:30, I have to wake up at freakin' 6:30 for public school!

Going along with this line...

My high school began classes at 7AM. Some people had about an hour-long bus ride to get in, meaning they would get up between 5 and 6AM. I had to get up by 5:30 to 6AM the first year, and then started getting up at 6:30AM my junior and senior years. Though, by my senior year, I just said "screw it" and came in 15 minutes late every day.

...I still did all my work and only missed morning announcements. So unless there was a test that day, I didn't get counted tardy. If there was a test, I accepted being counted tardy.

I think now they start at 7:30AM last I heard, due probably to many complaints. KF
~Kizyr

Return to “School”