AP Tests are here

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

saxything43

AP Tests are here

Postby saxything43 » Tue May 06, 2008 12:50 am UTC

Once again, we're all wishing we had studied harder during the year because the dreaded tests are here again. How do you think you will do? How do you think you have done, if you already took one test or more? How much have you reviewed? Discussion starts now.

Right after I clarify: We're definitely not allowed to talk about specific multiple choice questions, and we should wait a week after the test to discuss free response answers. That should be long enough to satisfy the AP board, should they randomly be trolling through this section of teh internetz.

Beginning for real this time.

I just took the AP Gov test today, I think I did okay, but considering I only answered about two-thirds of the multiple choice, I could also have done very poorly. I still have the Calculus AB, English, and Microeconomics to take. Fingers crossed.
This post brought you to by the number 42.

nyeguy

Re: AP Tests are here

Postby nyeguy » Tue May 06, 2008 1:03 am UTC

Just a note about the gov test - I took it last year, and thought I did pretty meh. I got the grades back, and it was a 5. Anyway, this year I only have one test - World History. I feel pretty good on it - I have had the material down for the year, not really having any trouble. I still have a week to go back and review all the old history stuff. The only thing I am concerned over is that its so much material to cover for one test.

Durin

Postby Durin » Tue May 06, 2008 2:35 am UTC

AP World History.
Crap. Crap. Crap.

I haven't studied enough yet here I am. I remember more than the average bear in terms of Historical knowledge but I'm going for the 5(overachieving).
This will be my first AP exam so I'm a wee bit nervous.
Our class has an advanced block schedule where you take most(in terms of core classes) for half the school year and I had AP World last semester. I'll do fine, I have 6 practice tests to take and plenty of study materials.

Yeah.

Loki

Postby Loki » Tue May 06, 2008 2:39 am UTC

I have AP Computer Science tomorrow morning and tomorrow afternoon I have AP Statistics, I'm going to get a 1 on the compsci test and a 5 on stats. It's really looking bleak for compsci. Then next week I have AP Psychology and AP Physics (B) and those will probably be in the 3 range, can't say for sure about physics but I know I can at least pull a 3 on psych. Anyone have any last minute tips? haha

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Tue May 06, 2008 2:40 am UTC

Hey, I took the AP Gov test this morning too. It was fairly easy. I made a Captain Planet reference in my essays ("...this type of spending is difficult for a president to curtail, even if he is some sort of Captain-Planet-esque hybrid of Ronald Reagan, H. Ross Perot, and the Ronpaul..."). I have Calc BC on Wednesday and Physics C: Mechanics afterwards, and then I can relax. Government I view as a warm-up, as I don't really care if I get the credits...although I think I did fairly well. Calc and physics matter a lot more to me. I seriously think I can take a solid shot at a 5 on the Calc. Physics 3 or 4 probably.

Oh, and I find the security measures rather funny. 48 hours until the free response time opens up, and you may NEVER speak of the multiple choice questions. I mean, I understand why they're there, but still.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Tue May 06, 2008 2:52 am UTC

Massive bonus points for the Captain Planet reference. I was so sick of those stupid essays, I just wanted it to END...

So yeah, one down, four to go. Hurray. I think. :(
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Teh Russians

Postby Teh Russians » Tue May 06, 2008 3:07 am UTC

Calc BC Wednesday... iunno... if I stay home all day tomorrow an study I might get a 5... but then I'll miss a senior prank that involves ninja costumes... decisions, decisions.
Govpol was relatively easy, the third free response was a lil tough though.
Also have English lit and Physics C Mech & E&M. I really need to study for physix. Stupid B-fields.
Confucius wrote:Sit by the river long enough, and the bodies of your enemies will float by.

jmorgan3

Postby jmorgan3 » Tue May 06, 2008 4:54 am UTC

Teh Russians wrote:Calc BC Wednesday... iunno... if I stay home all day tomorrow an study I might get a 5... but then I'll miss a senior prank that involves ninja costumes... decisions, decisions.
Govpol was relatively easy, the third free response was a lil tough though.
Also have English lit and Physics C Mech & E&M. I really need to study for physix. Stupid B-fields.

Studying this late won't help you. Go ninja yourself silly.
This signature is Y2K compliant.
Last updated 6/29/108

syckls

Postby syckls » Tue May 06, 2008 5:36 am UTC

I'm cramming for CompSci AB right now. This is actually the first day I've even seen the code for the case study. Pretty easy to understand, though. But all the data structure stuff just keeps slipping out of my head.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world: those who accept the Law of the Excluded Middle, those who don't, and those who are neither of the above.

MrInternet

Postby MrInternet » Tue May 06, 2008 6:29 am UTC

I've got Biology and English coming up next week however I think I can pull a 4 out of Bio and a 5 out of English. Here's to hoping.

Also: I took the World History test last year and got a 4 and I only answered around 5/6th's of the multiple choice. Plus I also bs'd one short answer.

saxything43

Postby saxything43 » Wed May 07, 2008 12:34 am UTC

In my experience, "hoping" on the AP Bio test does not yield good results. We had a fairly horrible teacher and I basically taught the whole damn course to myself, thought I had a good handle on it, maybe 4 or 5 worthy, and pegged a 3.

@ Sir Elderberry: A Captain Planet Reference? You, Sir, just got 1,000,000,000 Calvin points. Teach me.
This post brought you to by the number 42.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed May 07, 2008 2:52 am UTC

saxything43 wrote:In my experience, "hoping" on the AP Bio test does not yield good results. We had a fairly horrible teacher and I basically taught the whole damn course to myself, thought I had a good handle on it, maybe 4 or 5 worthy, and pegged a 3.

@ Sir Elderberry: A Captain Planet Reference? You, Sir, just got 1,000,000,000 Calvin points. Teach me.

Hah. My only regret is that I didn't then write, "BY YOUR POWERS COMBINED, I AM CAPTAIN SMALL GOVERNMENT!"

Well. You heard him.

Teh Russians

Postby Teh Russians » Wed May 07, 2008 3:29 am UTC

Eh... AP Bio was really weird for me. I did OK in the class, had a great teacher, but didn't have high expectations for the AP. On the test, I left one of the free responses blank, and wrote a long story about zombie cows taking over the planet for another one (although it was kinda relevant to the question). Then they asked me to draw some chart which I never heard of in a circle. I drew a sad face. Seriously, I thought I would get a 2. Ended up getting a 4 (O_o)

BC Calc tomorrow! I tried to study today but failed miserably and ended up on this forum.
Confucius wrote:Sit by the river long enough, and the bodies of your enemies will float by.

ICDB

Postby ICDB » Wed May 07, 2008 4:25 am UTC

Re: Asking for last minute tips for AP World
I took it last year, and studied big amounts for the multiple choice and relied on that knowledge to push me through the essays. I found the mc easy, and the essays hard -- I guess pretty predictable based on how I studied. However, I wished I had taken 2 hours or whatever and written a couple more essays, just for confidence. In the end I got a 5, so hooray.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Wed May 07, 2008 10:09 pm UTC

I am very angry at myself. I took the BC test today, and I totally blanked during the test. I just became incredibly depressed and couldn't focus on anything, I would sit there for about five minutes hating myself while trying desperately to churn out an answer, and I would be completely unable to get my thoughts organized! It's like the ability to think just up and vanished. Eventually it got so bad that I just started fiddling with the extra batteries on my desk while refusing to look at my test out of shame. The worst part is, I know the subject like the back of my hand! For christsakes I've taught myself multi-var, linear algebra, and how to solve higher order ODEs*. It would take me up to three times as long as it should have to churn out an answer, and that is when I was being quick. And forget about deriving things I didn't commit to memory mid-test, which I normally use as a crutch, I could barely do basic curve sketching, let alone derive integration by partial fractions. I just don't understand what happened, it's like an anxiety attack, depressive episode, and a drunken stupor ganged up on me and beat the stuffing out of me mid-test.

*I am not saying this without qualification, I have my math teacher evaluate my work during tutoring sessions and office hours to ensure that I understand the content.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

Oort

Postby Oort » Wed May 07, 2008 11:09 pm UTC

AP Calculus AB. Mostly easy.

heroofhyla

Postby heroofhyla » Wed May 07, 2008 11:16 pm UTC

I've got the European History AP tomorrow. I suck at multiple choice. On the practice ones I'm getting 30-40%. But, if I've calculated correctly, I can still get a 3 on the overall test if I get 6 on all 3 essays. I've gotten 6s and 7s on the in-class practice DBQs, so I think I'll do ok. Of course, I need a 4 to get AP credit at the University of Arizona (where I'll probably be going), so I'll probably be cramming tonight, tomorrow, and Friday morning.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed May 07, 2008 11:51 pm UTC

Ap Calc BC here. How'd everyone do? The free-response was harder than I thought it'd be, but hte multiple choice was easier than the practice tests I'd done, so. Captain Planet references, I didn't repeat, but when I had spare time after the free-response I wrote a note to my reader about eπi.

Well. You heard him.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Thu May 08, 2008 12:57 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:Ap Calc BC here. How'd everyone do? The free-response was harder than I thought it'd be, but hte multiple choice was easier than the practice tests I'd done, so. Captain Planet references, I didn't repeat, but when I had spare time after the free-response I wrote a note to my reader about eπi.

See my above post.

Short version: Apparently I have test anxiety, and it decided that then would be a good time to show itself. I am so very angry at myself right now.

Grr...and such.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

amynguyen

Postby amynguyen » Thu May 08, 2008 1:16 am UTC

I have my first AP test on Monday. I'm taking Biology, which is one of my more disliked sciences. I've taken a few practice tests, and mainly scored in the 3-4 area, so I hope I do fine (I tried the SparkNotes one). Do you guys have any tips?

Grave

Postby Grave » Thu May 08, 2008 1:21 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:Ap Calc BC here. How'd everyone do? The free-response was harder than I thought it'd be, but hte multiple choice was easier than the practice tests I'd done, so. Captain Planet references, I didn't repeat, but when I had spare time after the free-response I wrote a note to my reader about eπi.

I took the AB Calc test, and it was about what I thought it would be - it was, however, slightly easier than the practice tests we'd been given. I'd love to compare notes, but I can't talk about my free response questions for another two days, or else the almighty College Board might cancel my scores. (What's with that rule, anyway?)

Unfortunately, I now have the AP Bio test on Monday - I'm still not sure why I'm taking it - and the Psychology exam on Tuesday. I hate tests. :(

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu May 08, 2008 1:24 am UTC

Grave wrote:

I took the AB Calc test, and it was about what I thought it would be - it was, however, slightly easier than the practice tests we'd been given. I'd love to compare notes, but I can't talk about my free response questions for another two days, or else the almighty College Board might cancel my scores. (What's with that rule, anyway?)

Unfortunately, I now have the AP Bio test on Monday - I'm still not sure why I'm taking it - and the Psychology exam on Tuesday. I hate tests. :(

Well, I think the funnier rule is that you are never allowed to discuss multiple choice questions, and they stress it several times.

Well. You heard him.

<(bLYaUn)>

Postby <(bLYaUn)> » Thu May 08, 2008 1:31 am UTC

Good luck to all of you guys. I only have to worry about those pesky AP tests next year. :)
Yes, next year will be quite a bitch.....

niteice

Postby niteice » Thu May 08, 2008 1:53 am UTC

I love how my school only offers English Literature.*

I love how my college (University of Hartford) will accept a 3 on every exam except that one.

(*next year they'll be offering physics B (in addition to the university co-op course), calc AB (again in addition to the co-op), stats, bio, environmental, and US history. my graduating class tends to get screwed over a lot.)
GENERATION 4294967292: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum, negate the generation, and convert it to a 32-bit unsigned integer. Social experiment.

syckls

Postby syckls » Thu May 08, 2008 2:42 am UTC

Reporting back from the CompSci AB test. Owned it completely.

Tomorrow I have Lit. I just have to hope that I can do well on the open prompt, because I don't remember my novels very well. Then on Monday it's Bio and Physics C (real fun), and Tuesday is the end with Chem.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world: those who accept the Law of the Excluded Middle, those who don't, and those who are neither of the above.

The Ethos

Postby The Ethos » Thu May 08, 2008 4:47 pm UTC

Don't worry kids. AP classes are way shittier then ANY entry level college course. And unless you have financial reasons to go for sophomore standing, it just makes you look pretentious to go for it. Being younger doesn't prepare you for any job or profession really, in fact, it can lower your chances for acceptance for grad school.

EDIT: This is of course assuming that you're taking AP because academics is your thing.
Thanks, and have a Scientastic day! - Dr. Venture

Sulla158

Postby Sulla158 » Fri May 09, 2008 12:06 am UTC

I've just taken Calc. AB and English Lit. both seemed to go pretty well. I've got a the Chemistry exam next week, but I'm not too sure why I'm even bothering since I went down to he college (UK) and took some other test to get credit for chemistry, am I so nerdy that I take AP tests for fun?

To everyone taking the Bio exam, did you all have one year of Bio? At my school you take a year of biology and then there's AP Biology as an elective. I would not want to try and learn all of that stuff in one year kudos to anyone that manages it, I'm happy with my 5 even if it took me two years.
The fact is, knife fights are a big part of being an adult. - The Slant

jmorgan3

Postby jmorgan3 » Fri May 09, 2008 12:37 am UTC

The Ethos wrote:Don't worry kids. AP classes are way shittier then ANY entry level college course. And unless you have financial reasons to go for sophomore standing, it just makes you look pretentious to go for it. Being younger doesn't prepare you for any job or profession really, in fact, it can lower your chances for acceptance for grad school.

EDIT: This is of course assuming that you're taking AP because academics is your thing.

I disagree with you here. Certain AP classes suck much more than intro college classes: English, US History, and a few more, I'm sure. But for classes like Calc, Physics, Computer Science, Chem, etc. where the class is mostly building certain problem-solving skills, it is much better to learn spread-out over the course of two semesters from someone who speaks English as a first language than it is to learn over 4 months from a nearly indecipherable professor who's teaching 800 other people at the same time. Furthermore, I came in with 31 hours of AP credit and I don't think that made me look pretentious. It did allow me to register a full day before most other people in my year, so I was able to get the exact schedule I wanted.

(Okay, that last sentence might have been a bit pretentious.)
This signature is Y2K compliant.
Last updated 6/29/108

MrInternet

Postby MrInternet » Fri May 09, 2008 1:09 am UTC

amynguyen wrote:I have my first AP test on Monday. I'm taking Biology, which is one of my more disliked sciences. I've taken a few practice tests, and mainly scored in the 3-4 area, so I hope I do fine (I tried the SparkNotes one). Do you guys have any tips?

Same here but I'm using the Kaplan and I'm getting around 5 to 4 area. Except I have a feeling I'm going to bomb the free response portion.

quartrmster007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia...but if "home is where the heart is", London. <3

Postby quartrmster007 » Fri May 09, 2008 1:18 am UTC

Took the AP Gov test. I think I made a 4, though hopefully a 5. :) The multiple choice was fairly easy...some of the stuff I was like "what the crap!" on. The essays weren't bad at all, though no Captain Planet references here. (that was uber win, btw. :D)

AP Macroeconomics next Thursday. I say 4, my teacher says 5. We'll see. (I've been rocking the practice tests, and the essays are cake...so here's hopin'. :)

Good luck to all!
SlightlyEvil wrote:
Heh, you just missed the forest and hit the tree head-on.

Windmill

Postby Windmill » Fri May 09, 2008 2:19 am UTC

I took Calc BC last year, so I opted not to do it this year, but I am taking on all the Physics exams.

I took the Govt. test and that was fairly easy. I just made up stuff if I didn't know what it was. English Lit. today and that was fairly easy as well seeing as I had time to take some naps. Physics C: Mech and E&M on Monday, then I'm taking the Phys B makeup on the 23rd.

intimidat0r

Postby intimidat0r » Fri May 09, 2008 2:25 am UTC

I took computer science AB the other day. I think I might have pulled a 5, as long as I didn't do anything horrifically stupid on the multiple choice or free response part.

I self studied for Biology, which is on Monday. I feel pretty confident, of the 8 practice tests I've taken (2 Barrons, 2 Cliffs Notes, 2 Princeton Review, 2 that the school biology teacher got from somewhere) I managed to score at least 10-15 points in the 5 range on each.
The packet stops here.

Uthalin

Postby Uthalin » Fri May 09, 2008 4:41 am UTC

Windmill wrote:Physics C: Mech and E&M on Monday, then I'm taking the Phys B makeup on the 23rd.

I'm curious about your reasoning behind taking Mech, E&M, and B. Will you be getting any additional credit for the B exam? I do realize that it does cover some topics that the C exam doesn't do (optics and thermodynamics to name two), but is it really worth taking it just for that? I mean, supposedly E&M and Mech are the "hard" ones, and B is for people who don't have the sufficient Calc background.

mountaingoat

Postby mountaingoat » Fri May 09, 2008 5:03 pm UTC

I'm expecting to get 3's or 4's on my Computer Science A and Calc AB tests.
I didn't look at the Case Study at all (and likewise didn't answer any of those questions).

I felt very confident for the Calc Multiple Choice (answered every question) but the Free Response, not so much.

Bullislander05

Postby Bullislander05 » Fri May 09, 2008 7:20 pm UTC

APUSH this morning (AP US History). I think I did pretty well on it. It seemed like the MC gets progressively harder as it goes along.

I took AB calc two days ago (I'm a junior, and although I'm in a class that you could label...er...ABC calculus, I decided after multivariable/linear algebra next year I'd handle BC) and pretty much raped it. Heh, Anyone heard of that "THIS IS SPARTAAAA!" thing? Heh, well our entire calc class got together before the test and we all decided that we'd pick a random (easy) free response question that wouldn't require much space, and write THIS IS SPARTAAAAA over half of it and cross it out with two lines (So they can't grade it), then do the question.

It was epic win. I can't wait to get my score back. :) I'm pretty sure I got all of the MC right in calc, so even if I miss that free response question I'm still fine.

Now I've got Physics C (Mech) and English Language and Comp left.

ThreeLawsSafe

Postby ThreeLawsSafe » Fri May 09, 2008 9:00 pm UTC

I just got back from taking the European History exam. It's my first exam and I think I did fairly well. I've done alright on the practice tests that I've taken so I feel pretty confident despite the fact that I pretty much crapped out on the last free response question. But that's what happens when you get sick the week of the exam :-/
That's not gneiss.
GENERATION 22: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Fri May 09, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

Fuck my life. So I didn't review for either of my AP tests (Statistics and European History), thinking that I would still do fine without any studying, and both were harder than I expected. But at least now I'm done with APs for the year and can relax.

I probably got a 5 on Stat. Wasn't actually that bad. But Euro...I think I'm borderline 4/5. I completely bullshitted my thematic essays, and I'm not sure if I analyzed bias/point of view enough in my DBQ. That's the thing I hate about the grading system. If you leave out one thing in the core, you can't move onto the extended core, even if the rest of your essay is perfect. So I either got an 8 or 9, or I got a 5 on my DBQ. :x
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

MrInternet

Postby MrInternet » Sat May 10, 2008 4:02 am UTC

Anyone have any suggestions as to what they studied or what they currently are studying for the AP English language test. Right now I'm studying the different styles of rhetoric such as: ethos, pathos, and logos. Plus I'm also studying various forms of terms to describe writing styles(mainly for the free response).

amynguyen

Postby amynguyen » Sat May 10, 2008 4:33 am UTC

Sulla158 wrote:I've just taken Calc. AB and English Lit. both seemed to go pretty well. I've got a the Chemistry exam next week, but I'm not too sure why I'm even bothering since I went down to he college (UK) and took some other test to get credit for chemistry, am I so nerdy that I take AP tests for fun?

To everyone taking the Bio exam, did you all have one year of Bio? At my school you take a year of biology and then there's AP Biology as an elective. I would not want to try and learn all of that stuff in one year kudos to anyone that manages it, I'm happy with my 5 even if it took me two years.

I was planning on taking regular biology, but my counselor placed me in the AP Biology class, so I was just kind of "Okay, let's just do it, then."
So, I'm a freshman =/
I kind of have a little bet with my teacher. As a freshman, the counselor actually put me in Honors Biology even though we all share the same work/classroom. Next year, I'm supposed to retake the same class under AP Biology, which is pretty retarded (and I hate my teacher). He said that if I can pass the AP test, I won't have to take his class again next year. But I think that even if I fail, I'm just going to force them to give me Chemistry.

Nathaivel

Postby Nathaivel » Sun May 11, 2008 3:03 am UTC

Oy. AP tests. I decided it would be fun (yeah.. very stupid idea) to take 6 this year. As in one more than 5. Now the really tricky thing about this is that my tests are as follows:

Government
Literature
U.S. History
Chemistry
English Language
Art History

However, I've only had classes in APUSH and Language. I am taking chemistry, but the teacher has been gone since the start of the semester and we haven't had any replacements or even work on the same level. Ad this to the fact that she's had the bad luck have already been out for weeks at a time last semester, so we were already way behind... Basically I'm going to be crashing and burning all over that test. (If anybody has tips on what I really need to know to not bomb it, tell me and I'll try to absorb what I can from my text book and prep materials.)

So that makes 3 tests, and very nearly 4, that have been pretty much been based on my own prior knowledge and some last minute studying. It's been surprisingly effective, though, considering everything. Government wasn't anything totally alien and Literature was a breeze. I had an amazing APUSH teacher whose maniacal pushing of our class the whole year made the real test seem, well, padded. I'm only worrying about chem and art history now, language is supposed to be somewhat like the literature and that was more of a break from other tests than anything.

So yeah, my little experiment in standardized testing initially looked like it might eat me, but now I'm happy to say it's down to mauling me to a slightly disfiguring degree. :D and I just found out about the whole AP national scholar thing (our counselors are very anti-AP and I really had to go through some hoops to be able to take the ones I am now) and now I'm hoping to take a couple more next year and maybe get that!

Return to “School”