Cursive

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Roland Lockheart

Cursive

Postby Roland Lockheart » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:31 pm UTC

When I was taking the SAT yesterday (Ugggg....) we were required to write this statement in cursive, which I haven't had to use since third grade. I managed, but it made me wonder: does anyone still use cursive on a regular basis? Is it even still taught? If it is, to what purpose? Just curious, thanks. :)
This is one thing up with which I shall not put!
-Winston Churchill

Lila21

Re: Cursive

Postby Lila21 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:39 pm UTC

I used cursive for a while this year (freshman in high school), but it was so messy I couldn't read my answers to homework, so I stopped.
A math teacher last year made everyone use cursive in her class, since she claimed it was quicker while they were taking notes. But those were the only times I've used cursive since 3rd grade.

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:57 pm UTC

I write in recursive so that I can use fewer sentences to express what I'm writing, especially when I'm writing things redundantly that I don't want to repeat.

Actually, I doubt very much if I could form three words in cursive in under a minute. I'm not sure if I can remember how to make an "f" or a "b," for that matter, and I'm entirely too lazy (embarrassed) to try.
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:24 pm UTC

I was never good at learning the letters, and it certainly wasn't quicker for me. At my high school at least, I have to say 99+% print, and well over 80% haven't used it regularly since Grade 3. Of course, this is entirely anecdotal and subjective evidence. Cursive may be quicker if taught properly, and they actually make us use it so we practice, and learn to write faster with it. Sadly, that never happens, so we forget about it entirely. That's the same reason none of the French programs work (at least in this Province, and Ontario when I lived there). I found printing easier and faster, so I use it, and now that I have what amounts to a portable typewriter, any form of writing is far too slow for me, and my regular printing is more legible for tests. If I really tried, I might be able to write cursive again, but there are far too many letters that I'd have to look up again (not that I ever stopped having to look them up, I just stopped bothering). I can sign my name, and I think that's enough. I understand the importance of knowing the various ways of writing, but they just botched up way too badly teaching it, and my writing sucks enough without having to learn how to write all over again.

Lycur

Postby Lycur » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

I've used cursive exclusively since the third grade or so. There's no particular rationale for that, it's just how things turned out.

Smiling Hobo

Postby Smiling Hobo » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:07 pm UTC

My third grade teacher said it was important to learn cursive because that was the type of hand-writing adults used. She said, and this is true, that if we didn't write in cursive, that we'd look stupid. She also said that if we got to high school and didn't know cursive, we'd most likely fail all of our classes.

Lying bitch.

*Nibbles on kitten*
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:14 pm UTC

My schooling involved education in "joined-up" handwriting (or as known over there it seems, cursive) at Year 2 level (age 5/6). My handwriting mostly stuck that way, and I would say I find myself joining up a decent portion of letters nowadays while writing my hand, if not a majority. Some individual characters I print separately, others semi-joined-up with its peers, but for the most part I just rattle of my paragraphs in whichever method gets my thoughts down in legible, coherent, efficient lettering. My script's no longer as elegant as, say, this (e.g. my w's and m's are more jaggedly v-like than curvy u-like), but it's more elegant than Arial by hand would be.

Death Dragon

Postby Death Dragon » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:57 pm UTC

Lying bitch.

Yeah, my 4th grade teachers told us that going into middle school (5th at my school), we would be forced to use cursive all the time, and if we didn't we would get detention.

It took me a YEAR to get out of the habit of writing my name in cursive, because guess what? My fifth grade teachers didn't care! (I cannot read my own cursive writing.)

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:04 am UTC

Lycur wrote:I've used cursive exclusively since the third grade or so. There's no particular rationale for that, it's just how things turned out.

Ditto. Back in New Jersey all school assignments had to be turned in in cursive from 3rd grade onward, so I just picked up the habit.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Kaiyas

Postby Kaiyas » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:18 am UTC

Not anymore, at any rate.

And ironically, the cursive writing on the SAT's could quite possibly have been the longest writing assignment during the entire test. :)
clintonius wrote:This place is like mental masturbation

AKAnotu

Postby AKAnotu » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:01 am UTC

I use cursive for the fact that it lets me get away with my horrible handwriting.
Abraham Lincoln wrote:If you are racist, I will attack you with the north.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:07 am UTC

AKAnotu wrote:I use cursive for the fact that it lets me get away with my horrible handwriting.

Pretty much, I use cursive when I don't know the answer. I can't begin to count the number of times I got things counted right in Highschool that were actually wrong because I had crappy handwriting and a reputation for actually being smart.

Now that I'm in College I tend to write in print when doing things because the teachers actually want to read them. Not that it matters much given that most of my professors that I regularly have classes with have worse handwriting than I do. You'd think an English department would have decent handwriting. :?

Tarrantula

Postby Tarrantula » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:08 am UTC

I switched schools mid 4th grade. In my original school they learned cursive in 5th grade in my new they learned it in 3rd. So my new teacher said you have to learn cursive because you have to use it in 5th grade. So I had a two week crash course in cursive. My handwriting was excellent then as I learned cursive and basically forgot print my handwriting went down the drain.

Several years later (around 7th or 8th) I relearned print, my handwriting has improved but no where near what it was before I learned cursive...

WalkerRiley

Postby WalkerRiley » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:45 am UTC

Both my print and script suck. In my defense, I haven't turned in a handwritten paper since fifth grade. I haven't taken handwritten notes since eighh grade. My typing speed is excellent with a very small margin of error.

Yet there was always that one teacher who threatened to fail me if I didn't turn in handwritten work. I never did and she never did.
Le1bn1z wrote:No more Florida babies. Except for the purposes of scientific research or food.

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:39 am UTC

I'm lost here, from my understanding the SAT would be like your final yr12 assessment. How would it not be natural for you to use cursive (I take it you mean "running writting"?) I mean, that's what the default is isn't it? I use a strange mix of cursive/block when I write, but cursive is what's expected.
22/♂/hetero/atheist/★☭/Image

Originator of the DIY ASL tags

akashra

Postby akashra » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:51 am UTC

Personally I write block, and stopped writing cursive after year 8. That said, I can still write cursive, and do occasionally when I scribble; Everyone who I've had comment on my writing thinks I write the coolest 'f's.
( find / -name \*base\* -exec chown us : us { } \ ; )

UnderRock

Postby UnderRock » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:14 am UTC

I've been writing in cursive again for the past few years. My handwriting is eligible as it is, so it doesn't make much of a difference. I only forgot how to make a capital Q. (I sorta remember, but I prefer writing it in print.)

And... wait, you mean you were graded on your ability to write in cursive or you had to write in cursive for an essay-thing on the SAT? (I never took the SAT's so I wouldn't know.)

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:24 am UTC

haha. I printed that statement that you're supposed to write in cursive on the SAT, and it didn't make any difference. :P I felt like being rebellious that day.

My handwriting is a combo of print and cursive, and it's never the same. My "e" will look different in every word, depending on its placement and the letters surrounding it...that actually happens to every letter i write. Oh well.

My aunt teaches kindergarten (aww... cute little kids!) and when she wants to write a note to herself, but doesn't want the kids to read it, she just writes it in cursive. The kids look at it like it's some alien language. It'll be written up on the white board, clear as day, and even the smart-ass little kids can't read it. MUAHAHAHA!!! :)
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:11 pm UTC

I quit using cursive in 6th grade when it became apparent that nobody could read what I wrote. Now, I have immaculate handwriting, take really quick and complex notes, and write extremely fast without my hands getting tired.

However, my third grade teacher was honest. She said that in 4th grade they expected all assignments to be in cursive, which was true. In 5th grade onward (the elementary/middle school split in my home state was between 4th and 5th) there wasn't any particular standard.

It's not writing in cursive (or print) that's necessary, but finding a legible way to write that is comfortable and fast for you, and practicing that. I handwrote a lot of my papers during college (for the first draft, and most subsequent major edits), which also helped. For some people this means cursive, for others in means print.

Really, if I came across a situation where someone insisted that I use cursive, I'd use print anyway (signature is an exception, but that's illegible anyhow). There's no real-world situation where that comes up. KF
~Kizyr

FortMax

Postby FortMax » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:41 pm UTC

I am responsible for Coppell Middle School East dropping the requirement that all work in the English/Language Arts classes be done in cursive. My regular handwriting is horrible, and my cursive is so bad that at times I couldn't read it. Because of that, the higher-ups decided to make an exception for me. The rest of the class decided that if I didn't have to write in cursive, neither did they. THe teached didn't want to deal with it, so he let it slide.

Fun times.
Hasbro wrote:Paramount Home Entertainment will be releasing RANSFORMERS CYBERTRON on 9.13.05

Transformers Instruction Scans from Generation 1 to Robots In Disguise
TFWiki.net: The Transformers Wiki

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:55 pm UTC

My handwriting is mostly illegibly no matter what I do. Our teacher tried to teach us cursive in 4th grade, but not a single student cared a damn so we dropped it after two weeks.

wst

Postby wst » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:47 pm UTC

akashra wrote:Everyone who I've had comment on my writing thinks I write the coolest 'f's.

Pics or it didn't happen.

*Gets notebook - I don't know how I write*
I use both. But my joined-up is shite. I had to do lunchtime lessons in year 5 to 'improve'. They are actually bitches. I got a fucking maoam each time as compensation for missing out 30 minutes of breaktime a day, and they taste shite.
I've a mind to claim the accumulated hours back in HD movies and a player and TV to watch them on.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Sebeka2

Postby Sebeka2 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:20 pm UTC

I was requred to write in cursive until 7th grade when "handwriting" was no longer a grade. From there through college, I wrote in manuscript or turned in typed papers. I'd gotten consistant C's up until then; they couldn't flunk you if they could read it, but my cursive is awful and the teachers didn't know how to teach handwriting besides saying "write some more". Today, I use cursive to sign checks and anything else that requires a signature. That's it.

A few years ago I tried to find some books on it and discovered one reason why: in my state they don't teach "cursive", they teach joined letters (literally circle-stick manuscript with lines drawn between the letters). If you write exactly like in the booklets, your writing is very childish and ununiform-looking. Instead I bought some old Spencerian penmanship books. They're boring but this is what I'd like my handwriting to look like.
Willpower lasts about two weeks and is soluble in alcohol. ~ Mark Twain(?)

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

I think I had been told the same lies someone else mentioned from their Third Grade teacher. Turned out she was wrong: In middle and high school, they don't give two shits how you write, as long as it's legible. If you're taking notes, whichever is the fastest way to write for you, the better.

I learned cursive in Third Grade, and again in the last half of Fourth Grade. I think in Fourth Grade everyone was just beginning to learn, but I had already learned it a year in advance. That ticked the teacher off some.

Of course, now with computers I hardly write at all. Only time I write anything, it's usually on applications or forms I'm expected to fill out. I usually use block lettering, AKA all caps. I'd been doing that off and on pretty much since Ninth Grade, when I took Mechanical Drawing for one semester. I also used it in a few places in the job force, since I worked at a warehouse that shipped hydraulic and pneumatic parts, to fill out Fed-Ex forms.

I only write in cursive on my checks. I write in all caps in my check register. I also sign my name in cursive. That's the only time I use it nowadays.
PRG

An important message for you:

Windmill

Postby Windmill » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:19 pm UTC

All of my elementary and middle school teachers required cursive, but high school didn't. Even though it wasn't required, cursive is just easier for me to write. I would compare mine to the Declaration of Independence, and it's a lot faster than printing.

I'm pretty sure I have a wicked signature anyway. :wink:

TemperedMartensite

Postby TemperedMartensite » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:28 pm UTC

My grade 2/3/4 teachers told us that we had to write in cursive and would be expected to throughout junior high, high school etc (as others have noted above).

Smiling Hobo wrote:Lying bitch.

That about sums it up :P

I have 2 styles of writing now - block for technical engineering drawings (labels etc) and print (sometimes connected). So much for cursive...

akashra

Postby akashra » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:54 pm UTC

FortMax wrote:I am responsible for Coppell Middle School East dropping the requirement that all work in the English/Language Arts classes be done in cursive. My regular handwriting is horrible, and my cursive is so bad that at times I couldn't read it. Because of that, the higher-ups decided to make an exception for me. The rest of the class decided that if I didn't have to write in cursive, neither did they. THe teached didn't want to deal with it, so he let it slide.

Fun times.

Now I understand why the US's education system is failing so badly.
Hmm, this kid can't [read|do calculus|derive|understand covalences], so we'll stop them needing to. Oh wait, now we need to apply the same to everyone. Problem solved!
( find / -name \*base\* -exec chown us : us { } \ ; )

Sunsnail

Postby Sunsnail » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:12 am UTC

http://img32.picoodle.com/img/img32/4/6 ... 8bf558.jpg

This is how I write. I just rewrote the OP

Cass

Postby Cass » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:07 am UTC

I wouldnt call mine cursive but me and alot of people in my classes write as a mix of both all of our writing is about 60% cursive, 35% printing, and 5% of not even the writer can read it.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own"

carbohydrated

Postby carbohydrated » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:07 am UTC

I found the cursive part in the SAT's a bit tedious, and because my cursive is so illegible I added in a few words like [including but not limited to]: Monkey, spaceshuttles and Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.

toaster.oven

Postby toaster.oven » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:52 pm UTC

There have been some studies done that claim that being forced to learn cursive helps young children develop motor skills and higher brain functions. There was an article in the Washington Post maybe 6-8 months ago about this. Cursive, like the arts, is not being taught in schools anymore. Instead people are being taught how to take the state-wide tests. It also doesn't help that there is only 1 font that is cursive in Word and it's basically illegible.

Roland Lockheart

Postby Roland Lockheart » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:08 am UTC

So it's not being taught in school anymore?
This is one thing up with which I shall not put!
-Winston Churchill

Hurduser

Postby Hurduser » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:19 am UTC

I guess the fact that I am a foreigner plays a big role here, but we learned cursive first (even our first books were nearly entirely in cursive letters) and thus I normally use it for all my writing, that I don't do on a keyboard. Yes, I don't write very legible if I hurry, but until now, it always sufficed to be understood in exams. The only time, I write in 'printing' letters is when I have to write on blackboards in class (so the people in the last row can read it).
Frag mal nach im IRC
'zum Kotzen' das heisst dort XP.
Win2k, nur so zum staunen,
hat mehr Bugs als nur zweitausend.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:37 am UTC

I can't even remember when I last routinely wrote in print, if I ever did. I think joined-up writing is pretty much the norm in the UK. I don't think I've seen many other people write in print.
toaster.oven wrote:It also doesn't help that there is only 1 font that is cursive in Word and it's basically illegible.
I'm fairly certain there're a lot more than one cursive font in Word, and not all of them are hard to read. Even if there were, I don't see what difference it would make to handwriting.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:14 am UTC

I can't think that I've ever seen anyone in the UK *not* write in print...

My writing's pretty much a disastrous combination of print and why bother lifting the pen. I, too, was forced to learn cursive in third grade, and told that I would always need to use it afterwards, and quickly found out that was a complete lie.

I do always write in cursive in my journal, though. Don't have a clue why, but I always have.
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:18 am UTC

I've used cursive since I was first taught it, in second grade. Everyone else in my grade stopped using it in middle school, when it was no longer required. I love cursive, since I have bad handwriting that it lets me disguise as the mysterious cursive, and I write slowly, which cursive helps speed up. Also, theoretically, you don't have to look at the paper except to change lines, but I never feel comfortable doing that. Cursive just looks a lot nicer, too.

The only problem is that when I have to fill out forms in print, the spacing between the letters is all wrong since I almost never use it.
My cursive.jpg
Here's a sample of my cursive.
My cursive.jpg (18.29 KiB) Viewed 7956 times
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
17/♂/Heterosexual/US/Atheist/Objectivist
Tigion wrote:Gods, [Mafia] is like poker, 'cept harder.

Nu Știu Să Fiu Numai Pentru Tine—Andreea Bălan—Amazing song! Verrückte Jungs—Blümchen—My avatar.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:46 pm UTC

As much as I don't like using cursive, it still really should be taught in elementary school. The point isn't that everyone should write the same (in cursive or in print), but that it's best to find a certain style that's comfortable and legible. That can't be done very well if cursive is completely dropped. For me, if I hadn't learned cursive, I probably never would've figured out what writing style works best for me (even though it is in print).

Also, learning cursive allows you to better read other people's handwriting.

That being said, I still don't particularly like the lying about how everyone else uses cursive, but I understand why it's done. It's sometimes tough to get kids to believe you that something is worthwhile to do or practice--including things like math ("why do I need to learn to divide? I can just use a calculator!") or grammar ("I can use spellcheck / people still understand me if i dont capitalize or use punctuation or commas"). Telling a kid that they have to learn cursive because it'll help them improve their handwriting and motor skills isn't always going to get the message across. KF
~Kizyr

TheDarkPsycho

Postby TheDarkPsycho » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:44 pm UTC

It depends on what I'm doing. If I'm doing creative writing or other such written creative exercises, I'll write in cursive. When I'm doing anything of a technical nature, it's normally print.

And for everyday writing, it's some sort of weird combo....
"Engineering is like a pimp. We prostitute science to make money for ourselves. We can't really call ourselves scientists. This is because when we do discover some new scientific truth, our first thought is 'How can I turn a dime on this?'"

mobikwa

Postby mobikwa » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:46 pm UTC

Ive learned to print very quickly and its turned into a sort of mash-up of cursive and print. My letters all look like print but I never lift my pencil while writing so the letters are all connected. It looks like shit but I can read it and thats all that matters for my notes.

Mo6eB

Postby Mo6eB » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:15 pm UTC

In 8th grade my mathematics teacher told me that my cursive is so ugly, I should switch to print. It had a very positive effect on the readability of my style, so I stuck with it and today I write almost all letters in print save for a few chosen ones, that get the cursive treatment. I still write Latin script in cursive, though I tend not to join the letters.
GENERATION [imath]\aleph_{1}[/imath] : Whenever you wish, copy this into your sig on any forum and increase the generation to the next transfinite cardinal. Social experiment NOT over.

Return to “School”