Your Schedule

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Brett_Is_Epic

Re: Your Schedule

Postby Brett_Is_Epic » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

Junior in High School

Honours English 11
AP Calculus AB
AP US History
AP Physics B
Honours French 3
Essay Writing
Religion 11 (Mandatory class in a private school :| )

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:56 am UTC

A bunch of random dissertations credits.

They're a "class" that we're required to register for every semester in order for the university to consider us full time students, without being full time we're not considered "in good standing", without being "in good standing" we don't get graduate tuition wavers, and without tuition wavers we'd have to actually pay the tuition we were being charged as a result of registering for dissertation credits. Naturally our tuition wavers don't cover graduate fees, which are proportional to the number of credits we register for.. so, um :?

edit: this of course ignores the blatant illogic of 'graduate fees' including a mandatory student activity fee, because of course Ph.D. students totally benefit from the existence of undergrad student organizations :roll:
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:59 am UTC

chem1190c wrote:edit: this of course ignores the blatant illogic of 'graduate fees' including a mandatory student activity fee, because of course Ph.D. students totally benefit from the existence of undergrad student organizations :roll:

You could go and participate in some of them, no?
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

illiriks

Postby illiriks » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:48 pm UTC

For next academic year (HS Senior):

1st Period : IB English IV
2nd Period: AP Biology
3rd Period : "
4th Period : 1st quarter Theory of Knowledge, 2/3/4 quarter lunch
5th Period: Special Topics in Computer Science (fourth year, IB credit, lots of big projects)
6th Period: Russian II (Perish the thought, but it's a graduation requirement.)
7th Period: AP Economics
8th Period: IB History of the Twentieth Century

Brett_Is_Epic wrote:Junior in High School

Honours English 11
AP Calculus AB
AP US History
AP Physics B
Honours French 3
Essay Writing
Religion 11 (Mandatory class in a private school :| )

Eh, fun classes. Calc AB killed my sophomore year and made me hate calculus, but that's due to teacher. Essay writing classes are useless; try joining a high school debate team. AP Physics B is fun but significantly harder than Physics C; if your school offers it, try signing up for it. The calculus comes in at the end of the year so you should be fine taking Calc and Phys at the same time.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

Lists! A thread with lists! How have I not discovered this sooner?

My last semester at university:

• Programming with/in C#
  • Structure of interactive 3D-engines
  • Complex analysis
  • Basics of theoretical computer science
  • Bachelor thesis
  • Thesis presentation seminar
  • Paid work as software developer
  • Network administrator for my dorm
  • Transcript writer for XzyKlMs1
  • Telling people I'm not actually studying CS

Workload: 50 hours/week
Projected actual work done: 20 hours/week
Estimated chance of success: Oh dear...

1 Untranslatable. Something like "round table", "advisory council" or "bunch of guys and gals meeting to discuss stuff, that may or may not be implemented by members that have actual power"

san1

Postby san1 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:27 am UTC

last two final years at my equivalent of a high school:

Major Courses: Maths, English, German, History, Biology (4 hours/week)

Minor Courses: Economics, Physics, Art, Literature, Social Studies, Geography, Ethics, Music, P.E

i have 34 hours/per week, which would be kind of nice and relaxing, if the subjects weren´t that demanding.
But i suppose it´s better than my schedule before, i counted up to 42 hours of lesson/week.

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:52 am UTC

Summer 2013

lower division religion through BYU ( gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and Acts)
RLGN 3178 OL online world's religions at DU
CMS 1200 intro to public speaking at DU

Fall 2013 (LAST SEMESTER OF UNDERGRAD)
CLQ 3360/CLQ 3361 Environment in Film and Television 6
CHEM 4100/4105 Biochemistry I lecture/lab 4
BIO 3610/3615 Advanced Microbiology lecture/lab 4
CHEM 4996 Internship (work at wildlife hospital or in vet's office) 3
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon May 06, 2013 1:05 am UTC

I'm graduated!
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

gracie.

Postby gracie. » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

Going into my Senior year of HS, and I just got my schedule...

AP English Lit
AP Chinese
AP Calc AB (finally)
AP Physics (god help me)
Anatomy & Physiology
International Relations Hon
Graphic Design
Technical Theater
SREP (my high school's weird program to give me credit for FIRST robotics)

I think I might drop tech theater...

P13808

Postby P13808 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:40 am UTC

I wish my HS had allowed Calculus in Sophomore year <_< Standard was Geometry and honors was Algebra II....

Anywho, first semester of Uni.
Combination English/Philosophy/Theology/Etc. required for the schools honors program. 8cr hrs. So it uses a ton of time.
They decided to make all the Soc Work students wait until next semester, so I get to take Intro to Sociology instead this semester.
Calculus I. I talked to the maths department chair and he put me in the section he's teaching.
Mathematics Colloquim. It's a 0 credit class required for maths majors.
Statistical Analysis. Not even intro-level stats first haha.

...Yea. Not much in my core classes because I was in the absolute last group to schedule. So I get to do gym, spanish, etc. later on. After I forget como hablar espanol and am too fat to roll to the gym hahaha.

Mambrino

Postby Mambrino » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:49 pm UTC

raudorn wrote:Lists! A thread with lists! How have I not discovered this sooner?

Yes! My thoughts exactly!

My last academic year (my first year at university, I'm a mathematics major) did consist of
(course names are rough translations from Finnish, so I added some descriptions)

Autumn semester:
Introduction to (Academic) Mathematics (an introductory course for math and CS majors, previously known as 'Introduction to Discrete Mathematics')
Analysis I (first course in single variable calculus: axioms of real numbers, limits, continuity, differentiation)
Linear Algebra and Matrices I & II (I guess just about what it says on the tin)

Spring semester:
Differential Equations I (some basic solution methods and applications for first order ODEs and linear second order ODE's)
Topology I (some point-set topology)
Analysis II (A I continues: fundamental theorem of calculus, integral calculus (Riemann integral), series, Taylor's theorem)
Introduction to Probability
Introduction to Statistics

Summer:
Algebra I (introduction to abstract algebra: groups, fields, rings; their basic properties and some examples)
Introduction to Philosophy and its History (just something I thought would be interesting)
Logic I (propositional and predicate (first order) logic)

This autumn I'll be taking:
(more maths:)
Vector Analysis
Applications of Matrices (with MATLAB)
Differential Equations II (apparently, more rigorous approach to the theory + more about systems of (linear) ODEs)
an obligatory English course
(and starting a CS minor:)
Introduction to Programming (object oriented programming in Java, it seems)
Advanced course in programming (more of it)

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:30 am UTC

gracie. wrote:AP Physics (god help me)

You have chosen either exactly the right tutor or exactly the wrong tutor for this subject.

Please do report back after observation.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Friend0rags

Postby Friend0rags » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:48 am UTC

Incoming first time freshman to the University of California, San Diego after four years of being in the United States Army. Pretty excited since my undergraduate education will be paid for by the GI Bill, definitely worth the time served to be able to do what I've always wanted.

Majoring in Physics with a specialization in Astrophysics with a minor in Education Studies (to fast track in the credentialing program to become a teacher).

UCSD happens to be on the quarter system, so three 10 week quarters, fall/winter/spring.

Here's my schedule, hopefully I'll have fun with it. Descriptions of the courses in the spoilers, taken from the UCSD Catalog.

1. MATH 20A
Spoiler:
MATH 20A. Calculus for Science and Engineering (4)
Foundations of differential and integral calculus of one variable. Functions, graphs, continuity, limits, derivative, tangent line. Applications with algebraic, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions. Introduction to the integral.

2. CHEM 6A
Spoiler:
CHEM 6A. General Chemistry I (4)
First quarter of a three-quarter sequence intended for science and engineering majors. Topics include: atomic theory, bonding, molecular geometry, stoichiometry, types of reactions, and thermochemistry.

3. LTLA 1
Spoiler:
LTLA 1. Beginning Latin (4)
Study of Latin, including grammar and reading.

4. HDP 1
Spoiler:
HDP 1. Introduction to Human Development (4)
This course introduces students to the central issues in the basic areas in human development. The course will explain relationships between biological, cognitive, social, and cultural aspects of development.

5. VIS 120A
Spoiler:
VIS 120A. Greek Art (4)
Greek classical civilization was a turning point in the history of humanity. Within a new kind of society, the idea of the individual as free and responsible was forged, and with it the invention of history, philosophy, tragedy, and science. The arts that expressed this cultural explosion were no less revolutionary. The achievements of Greek art in architecture, sculpture, and painting will be examined from their beginnings in the archaic period, to their epoch-making fulfillment in the classical decades of the fifth century BC, to their diffusion over the entire ancient world in the age of Alexander and his successors.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted, the indifference of those who should have known better, and the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most, that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

Freshman CS major at WPI, where we have 7 week terms with usually 3-4 classes per term.

A term:
MA 1024 (Calculus 4)
ES 2501 (Intro to Statics)
SD 1510 (Intro to System Dynamics)
PE 1117 (Pep Band)

B term:
MA 2051 (Differential Equations)
CS 2102 (OOP Concepts)
MU 2730 (Jazz Theory)
PE 1117 (Pep Band)
ImageImage
http://internetometer.com/give/4279
No one can agree how to count how many types of people there are. You could ask two people and get 10 different answers.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:29 am UTC

Friend0rags wrote:UCSD happens to be on the quarter system, so three 10 week quarters, fall/winter/spring.

20 units is an awful lot on the quarter system. Good luck.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

jameslovecraft

Postby jameslovecraft » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:23 am UTC

Senior in high school; same schedule both semesters.
We have an A/B lunch system, where lunches are 25ish minutes long and either after your fourth hour or your fifth. It all aligns so seventh hour is the same for everyone.

1. Creative Writing
2. French IV (H? AP? who knows?)
3. English IV AP (Online)
4. Psychology AP
5. Zoology/Botany

I only have five classes, and since my last one is fifth hour, I can go to B lunch and then have seventh hour free. Yay!
I'd have a four-period day (like many seniors at my school), but I need one more lab science credit. I could've dropped Psych and had Zoo/Bot third hour and my computer lab time fourth, but I've really wanted to take Psych since I started high school.

Other schools in my district have Biotechnology classes with Bio I H (which I took as a freshman) as a prereq... Mine is the only one that doesn't.

Return to “School”