Your attendance at college or university - good or poor?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

pisshawk

Your attendance at college or university - good or poor?

Postby pisshawk » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:48 am UTC

Good evening, fellows.

So far in my university career, I have started every year in the same manner: passionately attend every lecture and class on the first few days in order to start my year off "the right way". Promise to keep up attendance and put as much hard work into it as possible. Then... week two or three rolls around, and I might skip a class so I can get the early bus home. Then comes week five and six, and I'm staying home some days because, you know, I want to. And now comes week nine and ten and I'm attending maybe 5 or 10% of the timetable.

I hesitate to guess the outcome of my examinations this year, but I was wondering if anyone else operates in a similar manner? Surely on the xkcd forums, if anywhere, there must be those who share my enthusiasm for lethargy? How's it working out for you - wishing you'd attended more classes or sailing along just fine? Let us know.

Many thanks.

Durandal

Re: Your attendance at college or university - good or poor?

Postby Durandal » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:47 am UTC

I currently attend two of my classes consistently, one of my classes once in a while, and I never go to the other two.

The two I always go to because I legitimately enjoy them (linear algebra and physics) and because we actually learn stuff in them that I don't already know. I sometimes attend my calculus class, but I've already taken AP calculus so I'm doing fine with that, I just like the professor. I never attend chemistry or political science - chemistry has at least 300 people in it and we are taught via powerpoint by a professor I can barely understand due to his accent, and it's more productive to spend the hour I would otherwise spend nodding off in poli sci reading the textbook.

I went to all of my classes for most of the semester, but recently my attendance started dropping off.

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:37 pm UTC

This is how I like to think of it:

Personally, I have class 167 times in a semester. I pay $6125 for tuition for a semester as an in state student at the University of Michigan. Each class I skip is like someone taking $36.68 out of my pocket. If I was an out of state student, each class would cost me $105.40.

angelfire

Postby angelfire » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:32 pm UTC

i look at it this way:
i dont need someone to read my lecture notes to me

so if that is all the prof is doing, i dont see a point attending.
i only have 2 modules like this this sem,
so i only skip 5hrs of lessons a week, giving me a half day on tuesday, and a free day on wednesday
;p

pisshawk

Postby pisshawk » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:35 pm UTC

Jacque wrote:I pay $6125 for tuition for a semester as an in state student at the University of Michigan.

Ouch... I can see why it's easier for you to attend classes that way. Fortunately we don't pay for university tuition in my country, so I can skip virtually as many classes as I like and not worry about that side of things. On the flipside, I suppose this encourages more students to fail since they aren't worried about having to pay to re-sit the entire year. It's also not very fair on the taxpayer.

Ieatsoap6

Postby Ieatsoap6 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:38 pm UTC

I have had exactly one class that I've regularly slacked in out of three semesters of college. That class is an astronomy class where the professor literally reads out of the book. I still go to the first fifteen minutes or so to make sure there's no homework due or anything. I have various reasons for attending the others. In some, the material is such that I'd rather have the professor explain it. Some have mandatory attendance. Most of them I justify by saying I'm paying for this so I might as well get my money's worth. My last resort is that since I commute to school, I'm usually there most of the day and figure, "I'm already here so I might as well go."

I don't really have a problem with people that skip classes, though. For some, it's just because they can teach themselves the material. The ones I don't get are those that skip and then fail miserably on the tests. It's their choice, though, and enhances my chances of getting a sweet curve on a test.

b1ackcat

Postby b1ackcat » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:16 pm UTC

I have a very similar approach to my attendance, especially this semester. I started off great, but quickly realized that my calc3 professor couldn't speak english to save his life, and that his notes were ver batim out of the chapter, so going to class was pointless. 2 of my other classes have participation points for attendance, and 1 of them is in the middle of the other two, so I have no real reason not to go (although I do occasionally skip both the afternoon classes, that's more rare).

The only problem I see with skipping class is that you have to REMEMBER TO DO THE WORK YOU MISSED.

My calc3 class started 14 minutes ago, and they're studying stokes theorem, which is about 6 sections ahead of me. Soooo my thanksgiving break is going to consist of studying, studying, and more studying. BUT that's the price I pay for not having to do the work sooner.

btw I definitely don't recommend this technique unless you're very diligent about keeping up with the work. I'm failing my calc3 class (partly due to my inability to keep up with the work until a couple weeks before the exams, and partly because my prof. doesn't give partial credit, and his exams consist of 3-4 questions. the class average for the grades right now is 55%)
My favorite Churchill quote: "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."

Snowdream

Postby Snowdream » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:41 am UTC

I go to all my classes, usually... However, at about the last 2-3wks I tend to miss one or two.

The reason behind it, is... well... sleep...

But I always try to make the best impression that I can on a teacher. It can honestly make a B+ average an A.

I had a teacher who once made it so the class was completely attendance based. You could only miss one class, and if you got an A on the mid-term you could miss two classes (Medical, family, extreme situation excuses are also valid, I should add). She did not care how you did on tests, only that you showed up -- I think she said 75% of the class failed. It was either an A or an F. Safe to say, I went religiously, and was always 15m early... Many kids were pissed off, but I think they missed the point XD

Ratio

Postby Ratio » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:45 pm UTC

At uni of Nottingham, UK, We get registered each and every lecture, they don't force us to go, but they know if we're not there, and we do get an earful.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:04 pm UTC

Ratio wrote:At uni of Nottingham, UK, We get registered each and every lecture, they don't force us to go, but they know if we're not there, and we do get an earful.

I'm at UWB (or PCB for the welsh speakers) and they do similar, we only get told off for missing excessive amounts of lectures.

I'll skip the odd one or two, but generally need a good reason (The offer of Paddling or Cycling opportunities is usually good enough), on one occasion I skipped a day of lectures to take my Raft Guide's training course but felt guilty for missing all my lectures, so avoid that.

I've found the problem is actually commitment I'll attend but will frequently read a novel or the paper if the lecture is poor. In the same way, if a piece of work is not challenging or just down right unpleasant, it gets ignored until it has to be done at which point, I'll make a rush job of it.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:50 pm UTC

I attend almost every lecture. There was one class in undergrad that I skipped a lot, because the prof said he didn't care if we came or not, and it was nothing new (I had taken very similar courses already). Other than that, I usually attend.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:03 pm UTC

In undergrad I attended most classes consistently. I was more likely to skip english lectures than history lectures as a rule (because I found them to be generally less useful towards my success in the course). Mostly I just attended though because I paid my own way and why waste the money otherwise?
Rice Puddin.

The Spherical Cow

Postby The Spherical Cow » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:04 pm UTC

I don't go to a lot of my lectures. And I feel awful about it. But I can't help it. Getting up in the morning is just too hard most days.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:46 pm UTC

For lectures at Cambridge Engineering, there is no monitoring of which people in the 323-strong yeargroup are turning up and who aren't. A good few of the lectures themselves are branded as common interest/non-technical optional items, so a good few flit in and out from the proper theory when it comes to a guest speaker doing his slant of engineering. On the other hand, all lab practical sessions take attendance records, and you are deducted marks for absence/lateness. As most days have a blend of theory content first thing and practicals later, or vice versa, I tend to just go for the whole buffet really.

heyitsguay

Postby heyitsguay » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:53 am UTC

I go on a trimester schedule, so I have three classes per term. Even then, I go to one class consistently, and the other two maybe once a week.

Touughh life.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:24 am UTC

When I did go, i very rarely went to class. But then again, I am a collage drop out :(
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

MaybeAndroid

Postby MaybeAndroid » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:53 pm UTC

(I'm at a Scottish university, if that makes a difference...)

In first and second year I skipped a few lectures in some classes, when the lecturer was bad, or when I was feeling stressed. Some subjects I attended a lot more regularly than others. In third year I only ever missed lectures when I was sick. This year, I think I'd pretty much go to class even if I was sick.
'I saw a guy in Venice Beach. When I saw him I thought, is that Leonard Nimoy in drag? But no, it was not Leonard Nimoy. It was just some guy.'

stormgren

Postby stormgren » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:59 am UTC

I go to:
-My Calc3 and English classes, because attendance is required.
-My C/Unix systems class, because it's cool
-My math and proofs class, because it's cool (and the professor is awesome).
-The recitation for that math class, because I'm good friends with the TA and it's well worth it.
I skip:
-C/Unix and physics recitations because they're useless
-Calc recitation because it's at 8:00am on the days where I can otherwise sleep in (Tues and Thurs). On MWF I have swim practice anyway.
-Sometimes physics when I can't wake up. :/

So my attendance is fairly good. Next semester, with no morning classes (YAY!) and no gaaah-i-have-to-take-a-writing-class-101, I will probably attend even more of my classes. Because they're interesting. It'll really depend though.

sir_schwick

Postby sir_schwick » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:28 pm UTC

I doubt my attendance record for my entire undergraduate was close to 50% attendance. Most teachers don't require attendance and I can still learn from the book. The last couple years I felt rebellious and and I didn't care. Usually something more interesting was happening during the class time.

baker's kilobyte

Postby baker's kilobyte » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:15 pm UTC

My first term of first year, I missed one Algebra class (because I slept in), and I was devastated. Not because I hate skipping class (ha!), but because I really loved that course and I couldn't believe I had missed even an hour of it.

Since that wonderful time, I have not encountered another course that made me feel that way. True, I've had awesome classes (and profs), but none that I couldn't forsake for, say, another hour of sleep or something.

So, in short, yes, I skip class, far more often than I would like to. And so far, it's had seemingly little impact on my grades, though, I probably shouldn't say anything until this round of finals (my worst yet, by far) is over.

Zuffox

Postby Zuffox » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:43 pm UTC

I used to study Comparative Literature at the University of Copenhagen - past tense, yes.

I attended all lectures except for maybe or so the entire first year, but on the second semester, when I had finally reached the seminar* attendance percentage, I stopped going, because I had grown so insanely tired of the poor standard of the lecturers and the whole mentality there. Obviously, I quit after the first year, but until I stopped attending the seminars, I practically attended all courses.

Of course, we don't pay for the education in Denmark, so my situation is somewhat different. But maybe hence the lack of quality and general perceived shoddiness of the university. :)

*seminars being a chitchat group and a lecturer discussing and doing stuff together back and forth over three - horrible - hours.

emmuh

Postby emmuh » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:26 am UTC

Up until my university created a mandatory attendance policy (which sucks), I was a frequent skipper of classes. My freshman year I went to 20 minutes of calculus per week, just to make sure I didn't miss the weekly quiz. Professors at my university are big fans of powerpoint presentations that are then made available online, so there's no need to really attend class. The only classes I never skip are the upper level psychology classes because you can't get by without attending class.

My tuition before loans and scholarships is about $5,000 per semester, so I don't think paying for school really affects my mindset on attendance.

I have to say I was an anti-skipper in high school; but once you skip that first class, it's all downhill from there :wink:

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:04 pm UTC

At American law schools, not only must you have a good grade but you must have a greater than 80% attendance rate in all your classes in order to pass a class. This is due to the bar requirements in some states.

Of course, simply because a person is present in a class doesn't mean that they are actually paying attention. A friend of mine almost never misses a class. However, he never takes notes or even really pays attention. He's physically present to meet the requirements but since he is smart enough to get all A's simply from reading the book, is constructive attendance is quite poor.

I can't pull that off so I normally only miss 1 or 2 classes (in total, not per class taken) each semester. However, even if I could get away with missing classes, I probably wouldn't. This dates back to a calculus class I took in first semester. It was early in the morning and I had crew practice so I often skipped so I could shower and have breakfast between getting back from practice and when I had the rest of my classes. Despite doing well on the final, I ended up with a low B because "attendance counted." I rarely missed any class after that.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:09 am UTC

My attendance record was piss-poor. I think it was around 25% during my final year. Some of that was because I was dealing with a psychotic girlfriend, but most of it was because I'm lazy. I made up for it with serious revision and begging of notes off other classmates, for which I would repay with understanding of concepts that they couldn't get their heads round. It was a good system!
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:08 am UTC

My attendance depends entirely on the usefulness of the class. Some classes I go to all the time; some I show up just for tests.

If you're doing poorly, go to class.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

gigogurl

Postby gigogurl » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:29 am UTC

For my first two years here, I rarely missed class... this semester I've missed far more classes than I would've liked, mostly for big coding projects that require a big block of time - I've skipped a couple entire days for that. I've also shown up late to almost every linguistics lecture (that is, every linguistics lecture I didn't sleep through) because it's early in the morning, which makes me really sad because I actually love that class and the professor is hilarious... also, that lecture is technically mandatory although they don't take attendance - the TAs just sort of try to remember how often they saw you in class.

Over IAP (our month-long winter session, where you can take up to one class or a bunch of mini-classes) I'll be taking French, and that's at 9am, and mandatory! (A small class, with attendance taking) - I'm worried about waking up for that. :-(

awec

Postby awec » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:41 am UTC

Have never went to any of my Friday classes. Fridays are for lying in bed.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:11 pm UTC

Ok, Well my attendence is going back up, as of now!

I very nearly failed my degree through being lazy and foolish.

Luckily, 14 straight hours of work, Three week long extentions, one 40 MPH downhill cycle ride in the rain, being hit by a learner driver and a doctors apointment later. I've saved the semester.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

3clipse

Postby 3clipse » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:15 am UTC

My attendance in physics was woeful this semester, and since homework was collected every class (I don't know any other college class that does this), my homework grade was terrible.

I'm fairly certain I'm going to get a C. First one ever whoo!

I also almost never went to organic chem this year, but the professor was so bad that I learned pretty much everything by reading and looking at practice tests/old tests.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Senefen

Postby Senefen » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:58 am UTC

Pretty good, though I have missed many a first lecture, which is bad because they're the same ones every week.
My course is pretty prac heavy and you can't skip them so I'm in alot.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:17 am UTC

100%.
Yes, I am a smug-face. 8)
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:58 am UTC

Well, in first year in lectures the group was big enough for nobody to be too arsed if I turned up or not. We had our attendance recorded for labs and other practical things, and got hell if we didn't go. I still went to almost every lecture, only missing them if I was ill etc etc, although one lecture series were so boring we mainly just went to pick up the notes, read the notes in the first half, then buggered off in the break in the middle.

Second year, we're in a group of max about 80 people, so you're noticed a lot more. I'm usually one of the first people the lecturers learn the name of, mainly because I'm usually early, always sitting near the front, asking questions and I'm female. That usually sticks out a bit when you're in chemical engineering. Officially, it's our responsibility if we turn up to lectures, but as I'm usually there, I have had lecturers asking me why I wasn't at their lecture.

But yeah, as the head of the chem eng society said in my first year - "Go to the lectures, do all the tutorials, ask loads of questions. They're here to teach you something, make sure you learn it"
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

kuz

Postby kuz » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:44 am UTC

I was one of those idiots that went to every single lecture in my first year of uni. Little did I know the wonder of online lecture notes.

Last semester I'd say my attendance was at about 20%. I only really ever went to lectures for my functional analysis course and tutorials. I just hate the idea of being forced to wake up before midday; I refuse to attend any class before that time. And I found that I learn the material from lectures reasonably effectively if I just make time to go through the lecture notes.

Oddly enough, my marks improved once I stopped attending most classes... :D

buugs

Postby buugs » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:13 am UTC

Hard class/attendance taken/Class I like I usually attend

else attend minimum for a good grade

its not hard to tell which classes one must attend after a few weeks of courses and some of the professors for the larger and lower level classes can be so useless that slide presentations of the book are all they can conjure up to lecture about, , I've only had 3 of those classes

If a professor knows my name within the first few weeks I will attend because of the initiative taken on their part, I would probably attend more classes but not having to pay isn't making me feel completely committed, thankfully most of my classes aren't easy

blackrose

Postby blackrose » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:34 am UTC

I've only missed one class due in my undergrad career, and that was because my alarm didn't go off. I usually have a class size of <15, so the profs notice.
I don't watch 24 hour news channels because they are retarded.

Osha

Postby Osha » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:15 am UTC

I usually try to go to all my classes out of habit, it helps with attendance points or unexpected quizzes.
But the latter half or this semester I was under a lot of stress and my attendance plummeted. I skipped physics class for like two weeks straight before showing up to take a test for which I hadn't studied at all and didn't know any of the material. I went to the minimum number of physics labs to actually pass, and I missed like half the homework assignments and quizzes in my math class. The result of all this skipping: three C's and an A. The A was from a computer science class where if you put in ~16 hours of work to do the 5 programming assignments you're set.

deathspiral

Postby deathspiral » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:50 pm UTC

As an undergrad I skipped most of my first year (doing CS in Scotland). I just read the past exam papers and took the tests. Not because I was especially clever, but simply because the exams were almost identical year to year.

Comp Sci in the UK is different to the US. If you do computer science, you pretty much do computer science for four years. None of this "liberal arts" stuff (unless you choose to).

I went to 90%+ of my classes in the final year.

Things that changed:

The first 2 years were pass/ fail grading. Passing was 40% (seems easy, but it wasn't - an A was 70% and NO ONE got 80% +) Since it didn't matter if I got 40% or 80%, I chose the simplest route.

Only in 3rd and 4th years did grades matter, so consequently, I tried harder.

The biggest motivating factor was doing a years internship at Sun Microsystems in silicon valley - finally I realised that just coasting by wasn't going to cut it if I wanted to do well. Being surrounded by so many smart people (60% with PhD's or better) made me realise how dumb I was wasting my time.

I'm now doing an MBA in the evenings. I've probably skipped 2 classes total. I go for a couple of reasons:

1) I have a group and most work is group work. They would be seriously pissed if I was the loser that was dragging them down.
2) The content is challenging. There is a ton of reading for every class (50-100 pages of dense material I've never had exposure to before, per class, twice a week) Skipping would mean falling far behind.
3) All homework is handed in manually, at each class. It takes several hours to do. Skipping more than 2 means failing the class.
4) the work and classes are genuinely interesting and a lot of fun. The lectures are completely different to undergrad - lots of individual participation and argument. You're in a class with 49 other clever people, all with around a decade of business experience. It's a lot of fun to hear their viewpoints and arguments.

Having it be a group thing, rather than an individual thing, is by far the biggest motivating factor for me. Realising that employers (the most selective ones at least) actually care about your grades helps a lot with motivation also.

AnotherUser

Postby AnotherUser » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:15 pm UTC

Absolutely terrible.

Two weeks into first quarter, I stopped going to my physics lecture because my teacher was so terrible. I also stopped going to economics, because that class was giving me no information. Even my math class, which was a hard course and used Spivak, I would skip sometimes because of the mandatory 8:30 scheduling. I would crawl out of bed, hit my alarm, stand there for 30 seconds, and then simply crawl back into bed.

Economics eventually came back to bite me, sort of. I got a C on the second midterm (which scaled to a B in a 600 person class), which spurred me to go back and she had become quite a bit more understandable.

I'm a freshman, in case you're wondering.

Tofer

Postby Tofer » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:20 pm UTC

I attend each and every lecture because I can't bear the guilt of missing a class. The only class I missed was Calculus II in my first year because I couldn't stop puking.

Believe it or not, my instructors actually pass an attendance sheet around at the beginning of class. The faculty of engineering at my school has a policy that each missed lecture results in a deduction of 1% from your final grade. Ouch.

Unfortunately I'm one of those people who simply can't take oral instructions. Sitting in class has always been pointless for me because I can't understand things without teaching them to myself. I've been that way my whole life. I usually spend class time working on assignments in other classes or listening to music.

Hoags

Postby Hoags » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:56 pm UTC

I've been at uni for one semester so far, and I've missed one lecture. But that was after I'd been up the whole night partying studying.

I got a laminated certificate for perfect attendance at one of my modules. Awwwh, yeah. 8)

Return to “School”