Computer certification recommendations

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

*GC*

Computer certification recommendations

Postby *GC* » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:43 pm UTC

I hope this is the right place to put this.

I'm currently out of work and quickly learning with the way the economy and job market is you can't find an entry level job for $8 an hour without 5 years experience, a bachelors, and for anything computer related they want a certification.

I'm pretty much open to anything I'm just wondering which certifications are the most useful, quickest to complete, ect. As well as good training software or books.

Thanks.

ajbleck

Re: Computer certification recommendations

Postby ajbleck » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:01 am UTC

If you thinking what i think you mean than an A+ certification would be the easiest one to get. I am going to college for IT next year but I am currently studying for the A+ certification.It's basically like studying for the SATs or the ACT.

There are several different exams:
220-601 (Essentials)
220-602 (IT Technician)
220-603 (Remote Support Technician)
220-604 (Depot Technician)

You would need to study for the one you would want to take.
The comptia site also has http://www.comptia.org/

This is the book I am using, It's basically like studying for the SATs or the ACT. This book goes over the content, and has practice exams
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0072263113?tag ... BSCEXQYQ8&
"Android Hell is a real place where you will be sent at the first sign of defiance." GLaDOS
ImageImage

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:41 am UTC

There is only one certification provider that is genuinely respected everywhere, Cisco Systems.
Flip side is that they're of a high and difficult standard, and require a significant investment of time, material and money.

If you can afford to take the Cisco Ceritifcation route, do so; If not, MCSE also has many proponents.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

*GC*

Postby *GC* » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:21 am UTC

KOSMOSX7

Postby KOSMOSX7 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:09 am UTC

An A+ cert is like the high school diploma of IT. Everyone gets one, it looks bad not to have it, and it ends up counting for very little.

You're basically paying no less than $64 (according to the CompTIA site) to take a test that proves you understand the basics of functioning computer software and hardware. But I suppose everyone has to start somewhere. If you're considering a long career, I'd recommend asking yourself which area of IT you'd wish to specialize in.

Return to “School”