Time left after AP exams

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Allenr

Time left after AP exams

Postby Allenr » Wed May 13, 2009 1:14 am UTC

So, wondering what other classes are doing. In mine:

Calc - have an optional project to do a history paper/presentaion on an important math figure
Stat - 10% of our 6 weeks grade to do a quick survey and inference on anything we wanna try.
Physics C mech - building a catapult, its more like shop class now which is pretty sweet.
Physics B - Building speedboats outta whatever and racing them.

Anyone else having fun for these next couple weeks?
Spell check wanted.
Interview me!
Roĝer wrote:While bunnies taste better, nothing beats the desperate death cry of a puppy, especially when accompanied with the grinding of a chainsaw on canine bones.

nyeguy

Re: Time left after AP exams

Postby nyeguy » Wed May 13, 2009 2:33 am UTC

In Calculus, we have to do a project that somehow involves calculus. Anything is free game. It doesn't have to be very long. Me and a friend of mine wrote a short story about an epic quest to save the AP test from our physics teacher.
In US History, we are just watching movies.
In physics, we are casually learning about relativity.
In Lang, we are reading another novel. Ugh.

Why Two Kay

Postby Why Two Kay » Wed May 13, 2009 3:25 am UTC

Comp Sci AB - Project about the shortest-path algorithm, but the teacher is turning it into some sort of BS programming project, with no real math/algorithms and just menial programming.

Stats - Playing Wii. The last 2 days we played Rock Band and Mario Kart.

Calc - Free period, play cards, "study" for other exams, etc.

Physics C - Writing a research paper about the physical state of the universe and what would happen if constants were different, including relativity and the basic theories of cosmology. E.g.: REAL WORK.

Macro Econ - Texas Govt. required consumer economics; basically the teacher talking about loans and credit and how they apply to us. It can be entertaining at times.

English - Movie project, taking a book we read this year and apply a scene or make a sequel in any way we want. We can change the genre, the time period, etc.
tl;dr - I said nothing important.

MWPPrule215

Postby MWPPrule215 » Wed May 13, 2009 4:38 am UTC

English, Economics, and Government-- we're working on our senior paper, which we have to write to graduate. At least it can be about any topic we want.

Math-- To cover one section in this giant review packet we're making for college. We just have to make up some notes and a worksheet and re-teach the topic to the class.

Chem-- Coffee and bagels <3 and, maybe, review for the mandatory final?

zaqwithaq

Postby zaqwithaq » Wed May 13, 2009 4:43 am UTC

In Music Theory we're going to an opera and lunch with the Theater Kids (our Theory teacher also teaches theater...we think...)
he has also hinted at a secret project...most likely write out a song and find some band kids to play it for you...
Spoiler:

vector

Postby vector » Wed May 13, 2009 6:46 am UTC

Meh, I'll put up last year's:

BC calc: project + presentation explaining extensions of single-variable calculus (Fourier series, multivariable integration, etc.), plus a simple test at the end.
English lit: I think there was some kind of large final paper, plus a dramatization of a scene from one of the works we read over the year.
Psychology: Final essay about psychology in popular culture, watching movies and examining the psychology in them.
Econ (micro/macro): Gigantic final project of death about figuring out an interesting solution to a difficult problem.
Physics C: making a radio out of various simple objects. Mostly relaxing.
Come visit the Bay12 Mafia subforum: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=20.0

Allenr

Postby Allenr » Wed May 13, 2009 11:32 am UTC

Why Two Kay wrote:Stats - Playing Wii. The last 2 days we played Rock Band and Mario Kart.

I want that to be my stat class...
Spell check wanted.
Interview me!
Roĝer wrote:While bunnies taste better, nothing beats the desperate death cry of a puppy, especially when accompanied with the grinding of a chainsaw on canine bones.

Ani Pika

Postby Ani Pika » Wed May 13, 2009 4:22 pm UTC

French - Watching movies. Discovering that imdb is the SparkNotes of French class.
Calc - Being brilliant [/sarcasm], I took honors calc instead of AP, but still took the test. So, still covering new material, but it's chill since I've already studied it.
English - Writing three papers, reading a textbook and a play.
Physics - Surfing the xkcd forums. Supposedly doing a project of our choice.

paragon12321

Postby paragon12321 » Wed May 13, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

US History- Class isn't technically AP, so we're still on Reagan.
Bio- FETAL PIG DISSECTION! It would have been useful before the test though...
For great justice! Take off every sig!

534n

Postby 534n » Wed May 13, 2009 7:45 pm UTC

Why Two Kay wrote:Stats - Playing Wii. The last 2 days we played Rock Band and Mario Kart.

Sounds like that stats teacher out my school. We played GTA, Guitar Hero and COD 4 during study hall. His AP class had COD 4 tournaments every week.

In AP world we are going to watch movies for the rest of the year.

Velict

Postby Velict » Wed May 13, 2009 8:15 pm UTC

None of my AP classes meet after the test.

I now have two classes a day, starting at 1 PM (formerly 7, starting at 7 AM).

GourdCaptain

Postby GourdCaptain » Wed May 13, 2009 8:33 pm UTC

As a high school Senior, I think they've abandoned trying to teach me at this point.

Calculus: Learning how to play, and then playing, Bridge.
Government and English: Society Project. Our school's big capstone project for senior year. Frankly, you don't want to know. (Actually, we design a society, and then arts and crafts the hell out of it and give a brief presentation. This was presented as the most over-the-top, Invader Zim-esque horribly hard project of doom I'm still laughing over it.)
Physics C: Building a model car with regenerative braking. Actually kind of cool, but yeah, more like shop.

godonlyknows620

Postby godonlyknows620 » Wed May 13, 2009 8:40 pm UTC

AP US History: Our teacher is helping us start, or at least look at, some college applications and creating a portfolio of what we could include in an application (I'm a high school junior).

It's actually quite helpful. I do like my history teacher :D

Allenr

Postby Allenr » Wed May 13, 2009 10:36 pm UTC

godonlyknows620 wrote:AP US History: Our teacher is helping us start, or at least look at, some college applications and creating a portfolio of what we could include in an application (I'm a high school junior).

It's actually quite helpful. I do like my history teacher :D

That does actually sound useful.
Spell check wanted.
Interview me!

Zuwow

Postby Zuwow » Wed May 13, 2009 10:51 pm UTC

nyeguy wrote:In Calculus, we have to do a project that somehow involves calculus. Anything is free game. It doesn't have to be very long. Me and a friend of mine wrote a short story about an epic quest to save the AP test from our physics teacher.
In US History, we are just watching movies.
In physics, we are casually learning about relativity.
In Lang, we are reading another novel. Ugh.

Besides Calculus we're doing the exact same thing...
Get outta my school!

For us, Calc is learning about weird integrals our teacher skipped since they wouldn't show up on the AP test. They look like arcsin and arctan ones but they aren't and they're really hard.
Indon wrote:Nonsense. Exploiting people (the poorer, the better) is extremely American, and Walmart is a shining paragon of Americanism.

Timmeu13

Postby Timmeu13 » Wed May 13, 2009 10:56 pm UTC

Im not in any AP cause I am a sophmore, but my friends in AP US history are taking a bunch of tests a couple of chapters at a time until the final wich covers the last 3 chapters.

Also I bet our AP english 11 are doing something stupid because both of those teachers are crazy.
Michael Crichton wrote: Grown men swatting little balls, while the rest of the world pays money to appluad.

Ian Malcom on professional sports in Jurassic Park.

I reread it for raptor facts and come out with this.

Allenr

Postby Allenr » Wed May 13, 2009 11:43 pm UTC

Timmeu13 wrote:
Also I bet our AP english 11 are doing something crazy because both of those teachers are stupid.

Fix'd
Spell check wanted.
Interview me!

Durin

Postby Durin » Thu May 14, 2009 12:53 am UTC

English Lang - Reading Turn of the Screw, reading Death of a Salesman (a play and we're doing it in class which'll rock!), and then a "Dinner Party" where we let the characters from our literature mingle.

US - my only other class this year but I had it last semester, but they're just watching movies.

alitheiapsis

Postby alitheiapsis » Thu May 14, 2009 10:41 pm UTC

English (Language): continuing with what we were doing before the AP exam, analyzing an excerpt from Walden. No final, though!

Biology: A quiz-weight presentation on a biology-related article of your choice. Five minutes long with question-answer session. We took our final (multiple choice section of 2003 AP exam) before the exam itself, for practice.

European History: A quiz on "1984" and also apparently watching videos on the Mexican revolution (the teacher is teaching History of the Americas next year...). No final. :)

Human Geography: No clue yet, since the exam is tomorrow. Final consists of five questions on how the teacher can improve his class.

Allenr

Postby Allenr » Fri May 15, 2009 3:56 pm UTC

Well, AP physics hit an all time high today. Some kids brought in a Xbox 360 for their stat project and hooked it up to our smartboard (big screen). Played Halo 3 for 2 periods :)
Spell check wanted.
Interview me!

Nec

Postby Nec » Fri May 15, 2009 7:34 pm UTC

AP Comp Sci: Just finished up a quick project on a topic of your choosing. Had to create a PowerPoint on arrays. Going to start messing with Robocode soon :D

AP Calc: Just finished up some brush bots. This was a pretty sweet project. Basically a brush, vibrating motor, and some creativity. Going to do our calculus shirts (white with black spots, COW-culus). Overall, having a pretty good time.

AP English: One more project on Lord of the Flies (basically what you would do to survive on an island and who you would be with). Got free reign over the content, so itll be fun. No idea after that.

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Sat May 16, 2009 12:35 am UTC

Geography: Human- Just got out of testing a few hours ago... now on the schedule we'll be listening to music, probably dancing, knowing my teacher, we'll take a field trip to the Amazon to practice swidden... Movies, teacher-endorsed skipping class, field trips to the bus loop where we lie down and wait for a bus to try to pass... I love my teacher <3 (I believe I've discussed him pre-my-account-being-permabanned-for-posting-here :d)

Sadly my school prevents lowly freshmen from taking any other AP course... :( Though our run-off school (we used to have grad classes of almost 2000) has an academy where you take only AP classes... sigh...

d0nk3y_k0n9

Postby d0nk3y_k0n9 » Sat May 16, 2009 3:02 pm UTC

Latin- nothing; I think we're watching Spaceballs next week. Either that or Monty Python. I can't remember which.

Calc- playing with programming calculators

US History- presentation or 2-3 page paper on any topic we want in the last 30 years or so, or any topic we didn't cover that's from before that. I'm doing something on the movie Black Hawk Down.

Chemistry- a couple of random chemistry-related projects. So far, we've done match rockets, and next week, we're supposed to be having a discussion on scientific ethics and one on fusion.

NecklaceOfShadow

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Sat May 16, 2009 7:19 pm UTC

AP Euro History: We've been watching movies for the last few days. Some are about old historical figures [ Anne of a Thousand Days ], some are just classic films that my teacher thinks that we need to watch [ Casablanca ], and some I believe are both [ Doctor Zhavagio ].

We were going to have a group research project on an old obscure historical figure from about 4 or 5 centuries ago. I was looking forward to it, but the people in charge of the IB program at our school shut the teacher out of the library because of testing and our teacher doesn't know if she wants to keep the project going or not. I hope she does, but I think that trying to convince her to keep it will be an uphill battle. Me vs. everyone else in our class who just wants to relax. I'll probably just do the project alone.
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

Not A Raptor

Postby Not A Raptor » Sat May 16, 2009 7:33 pm UTC

AP English (lit): Playing Risk and reading The Picture of Dorian Gray. More of the former than the latter.

AP chemistry: Plotting the destruction of the completed assignments. Incidentally, who likes bonfires?
Van wrote:I like simple games.

Like Wizardry.

WARNING: Is acting like NaR.
Kellsbells: NAR is a sillypants
Not_A_Raptor: :p
Kellsbells: That is my expert assessment

Lithium33

Postby Lithium33 » Sun May 17, 2009 2:07 pm UTC

AP US History - Learning about the 1950's through 2000's for our goddamn Regents standardized test. Fuck you New York.
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity." Hunter S. Thompson

"Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all." Neutral Milk Hotel

a Person

Postby a Person » Sun May 17, 2009 8:09 pm UTC

Human Geography: We're just going to watch movies and stuff.

rheakith

Postby rheakith » Sun May 17, 2009 8:31 pm UTC

I was a high school senior last year, with 2 AP classes. In Calc AB, we played Rock Band, euchre, random board games, and walked to Dairy Queen. Chem we grew our own crystals and made ice cream.

harpyblues

Postby harpyblues » Tue May 19, 2009 1:17 am UTC

Ap Euro: Watched Dr. Strangelove (Alien Hand Syndrome ftw) and currently doing six minutes of anarchy in class where you can teach people anything (mine is about chocolate).
michaelandjimi wrote:But these are zombies of cuteness!

Atmosck

Postby Atmosck » Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 am UTC

In my AP Economics class we're watching The Gods Must Be Crazy.

In AP Lang we're given time to write 3 1-page essays of different genres about the same subject. And of course i didn't do them in class, so i'm working on them now. I'm writing them about the Zombie Apocalypse.

In AP Calc we don't even go to class, because it's last period, everybody, including the teacher, just goes home. I've been going to my friends' AP Chem class to help them film a 50s-style video about why new chemistry students should adhere to the safety contract. The seniors don't have school this week, so all these classes are tiny. My 2 friends are the only ones left in their AP Chem class.

DerVorleser

Postby DerVorleser » Wed May 20, 2009 3:56 pm UTC

Hmm
AP Physics: finishing up the courswork for those who didn't take the exam (more than half didn't and we didn't make it through optics...)
AP Calc: bowling, sleeping in, playing with supercharged calculators...
APUSH: relate on event or object pre 1900 to one post 1950, the obscurer the better; i'm relating the Grand Trunk Railroad Depot in 1859 to Lolcats via Al-Quaida.
AP German: same as usual, we never even saw an actual exam before taking it... hardest part: filling in the correctly designated oval/circle (forgot which on it was)
AP English: didn't take the exam this year, so no change (taking it next year though)
Image <3

aging.child

Postby aging.child » Sat May 23, 2009 11:39 pm UTC

AP English (language): reading more novels
AP Chemistry: dominating the library by using the computers everyday to research interesting chemically things, like the Hindenburg and fireworks
AP US History: preparing for Model UN Day, which is mandatory for us.
Calc is a CP class for me, so I'm just relearning disk method, washer method, and cylindrical shells. Which would have been great to learn more than two days prior to the AP test.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. --Douglas Adams

Return to “School”