ACT scores

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

What was your ACT score?

4%
15%
18%
16%
11%
10%
6%
8%
3%
5%
1%
1%
No votes
2%
1%
1%
No votes
1%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
11-12
1%

Total votes: 176

Atmosck

ACT scores

Postby Atmosck » Mon May 18, 2009 3:32 am UTC

Simply out of curiosity, what did xkcd readers get on the ACT?

I got a 33, with a 35 in Science Reasoning (woohoo), 32 in Math, 33 in Writing and 31 in Reading. I'm thinking about taking it again, because I didn't take the essay section, and i can do better on the Math and Reading. When we took a practice earlier in the year, I got a 35 on math.

mdyrud

Re: ACT scores

Postby mdyrud » Mon May 18, 2009 1:55 pm UTC

I got a 34. 35 on science, 34 on reading and english, and 33 on the math. I took the optional writing test, but I totally bombed it. I got a 6 out of 12. My combined writing and english was still 29 though, so it isn't too bad. I've heard that most colleges don't really look at your writing scores, they just look to see that you've taken it.

Velict

Postby Velict » Mon May 18, 2009 2:18 pm UTC

I took it in April.

35 Composite

36 Reading
36 Writing
33 Mathematics
36 Science

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Tue May 19, 2009 4:48 am UTC

Velict wrote:I took it in April.

35 Composite

36 Reading
36 Writing
33 Mathematics
36 Science

Woah, these were my scores too. I though it was funny that I did worst in math, because normally I would say that's my best subject.

gauss.contrapunctus

Postby gauss.contrapunctus » Sun May 24, 2009 3:41 am UTC

wow, no perfect scorers, I'm actually surprised...

made a 33... on every section lol

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Mon May 25, 2009 5:36 am UTC

When I took it in 7th Grade I got a 22 bizzles :P

Fledermen64

Postby Fledermen64 » Mon May 25, 2009 3:28 pm UTC

I wasted alot of time on the graph reading section. But seriously if your gonna put a question about Beano in front of my sleep deprived brain you cant expect me to do anything but giggle silently about farts for 20 mins.
"I just want to say before I do this that I have no idea what I'm doing and I love you all very dearly. Ok lets light this bitch and hope for the best"
-Myself before a homemade 4th of July fireworks extravaganza

Allenr

Postby Allenr » Tue May 26, 2009 3:38 pm UTC

I can't remember what I got on each section, but I do know my composite was 31. Also, I had the same trend with some others, getting a lower score on math that reading, even though I am very strong in mathmatics.
Spell check wanted.
Interview me!
Roĝer wrote:While bunnies taste better, nothing beats the desperate death cry of a puppy, especially when accompanied with the grinding of a chainsaw on canine bones.

jetforcegeminix

Postby jetforcegeminix » Thu May 28, 2009 2:20 am UTC

took it in 2007 got a 33 with a perfect score in science!

Minchandre

Postby Minchandre » Thu May 28, 2009 2:07 pm UTC

34:

36 Math
36 Science
35 Writing
30 Reading (?!)

Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » Fri May 29, 2009 4:57 am UTC

gauss.contrapunctus wrote:wow, no perfect scorers, I'm actually surprised...

made a 33... on every section ¡This cheese is burning me!

Just joined the forum, saw this, and had to check it out. While mine is not a perfect score, it certainly is the second closest thing one can get.

English: 35
Math: 35
Reading: 36
Science: 36

Composite: 36

Since the 36 automatically means I'm bragging, I might as well kill whatever humility I have left.

This was my first ACT.
I took it when I was a Junior (April 2008).
I studied for about 2 weeks.

Unfortunately, a 36 on the ACT does not mean you constantly remember the correct directions of "Right" and "Left"...
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

paragon12321

Postby paragon12321 » Fri May 29, 2009 9:09 pm UTC

Belgarion wrote:
gauss.contrapunctus wrote:wow, no perfect scorers, I'm actually surprised...

made a 33... on every section ¡This cheese is burning me!

Just joined the forum, saw this, and had to check it out. While mine is not a perfect score, it certainly is the second closest thing one can get.

Composite: 36

Since the 36 automatically means I'm bragging, I might as well kill whatever humility I have left.

This was my first ACT.
I took it when I was a Junior (April 2008).
I studied for about 2 weeks.

Unfortunately, a 36 on the ACT does not mean you constantly remember the correct directions of "Right" and "Left"...

Isn't it techinically the third closest thing?

Anyway, this area is SAT country, so I only took the ACT in 8th grade through Johns Hopkins' CTY program (almost accidentally wrote CTU). I got a 29 w/o writing, I think.
For great justice! Take off every sig!

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Sat May 30, 2009 1:50 am UTC

I took it in seventh grade and got a 27. I took it again in high school so I'd have a current score to apply to colleges with. That was a 34. I don't remember the subscores except that I had two 33's and two 35's.

Wow, there's a lot of 34-people here. Hi, friends!

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Sat May 30, 2009 2:31 am UTC

I feel so sad, I thought that getting a 22 on it in 7th grade was something commendable, something that would assure me a 32+ when I took the test 'forealz'! My whole life has been a lie! *cue hypertension*

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat May 30, 2009 5:11 am UTC

Walter.Horvath wrote:I feel so sad, I thought that getting a 22 on it in 7th grade was something commendable, something that would assure me a 32+ when I took the test 'forealz'! My whole life has been a lie! *cue hypertension*

Congratulations on learning something more important than anything in that test.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sat May 30, 2009 5:14 am UTC

I got a 29 on my only attempt with no studying. I would have gotten a lot higher if it weren't for the Science section beign completely opaque. I had to take my time, and I ran out of time.
I think I got a perfect score on my math, and close to 36 on most of the ones besides sceicne. I have to look for my result sheet.
I should have studied though.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Sat May 30, 2009 10:14 pm UTC

I thought that the science section was mostly graph-reading, but not much actual science knowledge. The graphs were confusing, too.

I didn't study, either.

dmlerner

Postby dmlerner » Sat May 30, 2009 10:58 pm UTC

So the average xkcd reader - insert arguments about response bias and general lying - is top percentile (33)? While I'm impressed, I can't say I'm surprised.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun May 31, 2009 3:54 am UTC

dmlerner wrote:So the average xkcd reader - insert arguments about response bias and general lying - is top percentile (33)? While I'm impressed, I can't say I'm surprised.

Yeah. The engineering school in the state has an average of about 27 for their incoming classes. So when you tend to be science and engineering oriented you really do draw the top people.

I would also like to point out that the poll is offensive. You can, in fact, get a 9 on the ACT, despite the fact that you will statistically do better just filling in "B." A girl at my school managed this.

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:45 am UTC

Gar! Random drops in statistical data! What could it mean?

Give it a few more months for it to even out to a bell curve?

Malvolio

Postby Malvolio » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:14 am UTC

I got a 31.

English: 36
Science: 35
Math: 20

According to the ACT, I'm unfit for college math courses.

No one here can top that.

cmd

Postby cmd » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:49 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
dmlerner wrote:So the average xkcd reader - insert arguments about response bias and general lying - is top percentile (33)? While I'm impressed, I can't say I'm surprised.

Yeah. The engineering school in the state has an average of about 27 for their incoming classes. So when you tend to be science and engineering oriented you really do draw the top people.

I would also like to point out that the poll is offensive. You can, in fact, get a 9 on the ACT, despite the fact that you will statistically do better just filling in "B." A girl at my school managed this.

You'd think they would give you credit for knowing the wrong answers :\

tofof

Postby tofof » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:12 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:You can, in fact, get a 9 on the ACT, despite the fact that you will statistically do better just filling in "B." A girl at my school managed this.

Well, actually, you can get a 1 on the ACT, and at least in theory that score should actually nearly correspond to 25%. The reported scores for ACT and SAT scores are normalized, not raw. The 5 ACT scores (4 subjects and composite) are all individually normalized to a mean of 18 and a standard deviation of 6. The three SAT scores are similarly individually is normalized to a mean of 500 and a standard deviation of 100. (Aside: this is why the 'pre-1996' SAT scores are sometimes mentioned - as a larger percentage of the population started going to college and thus taking the SATs, the average score dropped, and in 1996 the scoring system was adjusted to recenter the mean at 500). To my knowledge, unlike the SAT, the ACT is normalized on a per-test basis. This became apparent when Illinois administered the ACT statewide - the number of 'perfect' 36s jumped dramatically for that single test, simply because of the difference between top 0.3% of normal ACT-taking students vs top 0.3% of the entire statewide junior class. Students who scored a 34 or better on independently-administered ACTs were practically guaranteed a 36 on the one administered during the prairie state exams.

What this means is that unless there's a large population of students on a given test day (and a given test) that are deliberately skewing the test, a student choosing deliberately wrong answers and a student choosing "b" for everything will receive the same score - something around 1-6 for the ACT or around 200-300 for the SAT - the region between 2-3 standard deviations below the mean. The actual reported score will vary with each test depending on the actual performance of the test takers. A score of 1 simply means your score is worse than 99.7% of all test takers.

This all assumes that the normalization is perfect, which it obviously won't be with a finite sample. However, my point is that someone filling out 'b' for everything could get very different scores in two different testing populations (even if the tests, and as such their raw score, were identical).

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:37 pm UTC

tofof wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:You can, in fact, get a 9 on the ACT, despite the fact that you will statistically do better just filling in "B." A girl at my school managed this.

Well, actually, you can get a 1 on the ACT, and at least in theory that score should actually nearly correspond to 25%. The reported scores for ACT and SAT scores are normalized, not raw. The 5 ACT scores (4 subjects and composite) are all individually normalized to a mean of 18 and a standard deviation of 6. The three SAT scores are similarly individually is normalized to a mean of 500 and a standard deviation of 100. (Aside: this is why the 'pre-1996' SAT scores are sometimes mentioned - as a larger percentage of the population started going to college and thus taking the SATs, the average score dropped, and in 1996 the scoring system was adjusted to recenter the mean at 500). To my knowledge, unlike the SAT, the ACT is normalized on a per-test basis. This became apparent when Illinois administered the ACT statewide - the number of 'perfect' 36s jumped dramatically for that single test, simply because of the difference between top 0.3% of normal ACT-taking students vs top 0.3% of the entire statewide junior class. Students who scored a 34 or better on independently-administered ACTs were practically guaranteed a 36 on the one administered during the prairie state exams.

What this means is that unless there's a large population of students on a given test day (and a given test) that are deliberately skewing the test, a student choosing deliberately wrong answers and a student choosing "b" for everything will receive the same score - something around 1-6 for the ACT or around 200-300 for the SAT - the region between 2-3 standard deviations below the mean. The actual reported score will vary with each test depending on the actual performance of the test takers. A score of 1 simply means your score is worse than 99.7% of all test takers.

This all assumes that the normalization is perfect, which it obviously won't be with a finite sample. However, my point is that someone filling out 'b' for everything could get very different scores in two different testing populations (even if the tests, and as such their raw score, were identical).

So in other words. Now that I have a college edumacation I have a new goal of trying to get a one on the act. Which shouldn't be as hard with the knowing the right answers thing.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:39 pm UTC

My school did a sort of standardized test for no reason that I could ever discern, and one year, a teacher found a chart that was supposed to relate your score on that test to a probable ranges of scores on the ACT. Everyone else's was spot on. The top of mine was seven points below my actual score. It was pretty funny.

Arpy

Postby Arpy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:05 am UTC

nyeguy wrote:
Velict wrote:I took it in April.

35 Composite

36 Reading
36 Writing
33 Mathematics
36 Science

Woah, these were my scores too. I though it was funny that I did worst in math, because normally I would say that's my best subject.

Hm, I got the same scores as well, though I definitely expected the maths to be my worst section. I studied the test, but not so much the material, and so I think I pretty much forgot the distance formula, of all things. I was utterly shocked with how well I did, given that I had a cold and a recently deceased grandmother when I took it.
In bed.

Yambert

Postby Yambert » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:06 am UTC

just got my score back, its a 34, Im so happy!!! the first time I took it was a few months ago, it was only a 28 and I was pretty disappointed.

I didnt study at all either time I took ir, but the second time I knew what to expect and that made all the difference... and I had my calculator, for a change. IM SO HAPPY XKCD!!!!! Im not as brainy (or dishonest) as some people here to say that this wasnt a surprise for me

YAY!!!!!

(my composite scores were english-33, reading-36, math-34, science-33)

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:37 pm UTC

Congratulations, Yambert!!!! I got a 34, too. Getting a 36 is overrated; the difference between a 34 and a 36 is in what part of the 99th percentile you are.

chewey

Postby chewey » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:45 am UTC

haha only this forum could make me feel average for my score haha

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:30 am UTC

Ok, I've been holding off for a while, but I'll bite. What's an ACT, and do are there any example papers online I can try? :D

EDIT: Ok, I found some 'practice questions' on this website. Are they the right sort of thing? So far I'm about half way through the English ones and on 100% (yays!)

Why couldn't they have had tests like this over here? Tests of this type are practically designed for me - I find them so intuitively easy. They're used in some job assessment centres and applications, but I never got that to that stage on any of the jobs that had them :(

EDIT 2: Got all the english sample questions right, all but two of the maths sample questions (and I might catch those two if I were doing it properly and checking my answers in the remaining time after). Not sure I'll bother with science and reading, it looks like more of the same, and I'm definitely not going to do an essay :P

cpp789

Postby cpp789 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:58 pm UTC

In 7th grade I got a 31. :D I probably could have done better, but I forgot that it was coming up so I didn't study.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:25 am UTC

cpp789 wrote:In 7th grade I got a 31. :D I probably could have done better, but I forgot that it was coming up so I didn't study.

You got a 31 in 7th grade? Holy crap. *feels an inferiority complex coming on* I got a 27.

Seriously, though, that's amazing. Did you ever retake it?

Vault

Postby Vault » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:27 am UTC

I've taken it twice, the first time I got a 30 because I was extremely tired and didn't have any coffee. Yeah, that day sucked :(.

The second time I took it though I ended up with a 34.

Math: 36
Reading: 30 (wtf?!?)

I seriously do not know what was up with that reading section. I plan to take it once more with the writing section and I hope to get my score up a little bit more.

I am however rather impressed that the average score around here is about 34, it makes me feel like I'm spending my time in one of the more intelligent places on the internet.

Yambert

Postby Yambert » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:47 am UTC

if you took it in june, I'm not sure what your issue with the reading was- I thought it was all quite straightforward and easy

cpp789

Postby cpp789 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:27 am UTC

Isotope_238 wrote:You got a 31 in 7th grade? Holy crap. *feels an inferiority complex coming on* I got a 27.

Seriously, though, that's amazing. Did you ever retake it?

Thanks. No, I haven't retaken it. I am going to be a sophomore next year though, so I'll probably take it again soon.

Vault

Postby Vault » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:50 pm UTC

Yambert wrote:if you took it in june, I'm not sure what your issue with the reading was- I thought it was all quite straightforward and easy

That one was from April, and I missed the June test, so I don't know what that one was like. It would seem that my ability to read is less than super-duper though.

G2_00

Postby G2_00 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:44 am UTC

I got a 33 the first time I took it. It was during marching season, I hadn't been sleeping, and I had an audition right after the exam so I was focused on that. I literally left from the exam and went to my district auditions, which they had originally scheduled me for at 11:30 in the morning even though I had told them two months in advance that I had the ACT that day. Grrr. So I was late for that. But I took it with my friend who had enough time during the math section to calculate every possible way to fail the exam or get a perfect on it and what you would need to get that in each subsection. Yes, he got a 36 in math but a 33 overall. He and I had matching SAT and ACT scores except for when you went into the subcategories (he had an 800 on the SAT math too, I believe). The people you meet in band...

Anyways...
Science: 34
Reading: 31
English: 31

Reading/English are always my lowest and I always score high on the essays. 25 minutes is more than enough time for me... hehe...

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:10 pm UTC

I've also noticed that students in band tend to get higher ACT scores. It works the same way at my school, too.

mdyrud

Postby mdyrud » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:22 pm UTC

I've noticed that many musicians do well, whether they are in Band, Choir, or Orchestra. At my school, the people with the top 5 ACT scores are all in at least one of those three.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:39 pm UTC

I don't remember what I got on the topics individually.

The ACT and other standarized testings piss me off to no end.
I didn't do as well as hoped since I was dizzy and didn't sleep well the night (the some nights before). I got a '19' but I'm taking it again.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

Return to “School”