Subjects you wish you were good at?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

seridos

Subjects you wish you were good at?

Postby seridos » Fri May 22, 2009 6:58 pm UTC

Is there any subjects in school/university that you wish you were good at or more interested in?

I find I'm that way with math. I wish I was great at it, and it's pretty interesting, and essential(physics major lol), but I'm just not that great at it. :/

Anubis

Re: Subjects you wish you were good at?

Postby Anubis » Sat May 23, 2009 8:04 am UTC

Time management. I'm great at pretty much every subject (and humility is my greatest strength), but my grades don't reflect it because of poor time management (mostly the result of ADD).
Last edited by Anubis on Sat May 23, 2009 2:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

LISStryfe

Postby LISStryfe » Sat May 23, 2009 11:26 am UTC

Due to learning capabilities, there's two things that completely escape me: Foreign language and Music. I cannot read music and foreign language escapes me entirely. I consider that my greatest intellectual failing.

runa

Postby runa » Sat May 23, 2009 1:28 pm UTC

Math and chemistry, I'd say :)

zombiefeynman

Postby zombiefeynman » Sat May 23, 2009 7:39 pm UTC

Art.

I love math (and am pretty good), I can teach myself most science, I can brute-force history. Literature analysis gets tricky because I don't appreciate imagery/symbolism/synecdoche/anaphora/etc, but I can usually find out what the teacher wants me to answer and BS my way through it. Art, however, is almost impossible for me. I don't think I have any medical conditions or anything, but I find art very hard to interpret. ("It's a picture of a house. For some reason there's a horse in the house. Everything is drawn funny.") I'm even worse at creating art - I tried to draw an XKCD comic once to show somebody because I was away from the computer and I couldn't even get hat guy correct.

Donatello

Postby Donatello » Sat May 23, 2009 7:58 pm UTC

I would have to say anything involving being a music major. I think I would just leave my check from financial aid under the door if my teacher played Beethoven's 5th Symphony on the piano and expected you to write the notes on sheet music by ear as she was playing(not that I know anyone has done this). I love to memorize, so that could explain why I like history so much. The same goes with memorizing formulas in physics and applying them to problems in the textbook( I'm no physics major, so topics like general relativity and electromagnetism are semi-obscure).

It seems that a large number of people on this site (not all) display visible animadversions towards classes like music theory and acoustics.

Edit: Damn, I forgot art, of all subjects. I had a running joke with my art teacher in high school saying that if practiced drawing as much as I complained, I could be the next Vincent Van Gough.

Velict

Postby Velict » Sat May 23, 2009 11:22 pm UTC

Math, no question. I have to work my arse off in any given math course, while my several of my friends sleep through the course and ace their exams at the end of it. I'm not terrible at it - I still do fairly well with my coursework - but it just doesn't come naturally to me.

nothinglikeit22

Postby nothinglikeit22 » Sun May 24, 2009 1:02 am UTC

but it just doesn't come naturally to me

I totally agree, i dont understand how people will just kind of doze off while i sit there racking my head to grasp stuff(and this is only algebra 2). SO frustrating. so yeah i wish i was better at math

monkandmovies13

Postby monkandmovies13 » Sun May 24, 2009 2:54 am UTC

I wish I had been better at chemistry. I find a lot of the concepts interesting, and I really like biology, and the connection between the two is very important. However, I never got worse grades in any class than I got in chem.

Spanish too - I absolutely suck at learning all languages. I really want to learn as many as possible and see as much of the world as I can, and I love Spain, but I feel so uncomfortable speaking in a foreign tongue and I'm afraid that I won't ever really be proficient in Spanish, even after 5 years.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Sun May 24, 2009 2:59 am UTC

While trying hard not to risk turning this to a why is math hard thread, I will say that the people dozing off now will hit their brick walls sooner or later. (though it could be as late as say grad school, if they are really bright)

Personally, time management. This I suck at, a lot. Without hard deadlines, I cannot work effectively, and procrastinates. Like I am writing of the post when I should be studying right now. The other thing is anything involving memorization. This includes biology and history, in particular.

AtlasDrugged

Postby AtlasDrugged » Sun May 24, 2009 9:03 am UTC

I was always terrible at Chemistry. When I was about 7 years old, I went through a phase where I wanted to be a botanist, but the last residue of yearning for that was crushed by the revelation that I am almost as bad at Biology.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun May 24, 2009 3:56 pm UTC

I pick up math and physics like breathing, but I wish I could handle some of the less objective subjects (English) better, and I've never had any artistic talent.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

superdelta

Postby superdelta » Sun May 24, 2009 4:06 pm UTC

Languages and the humanities. I'm not terrific at essay writing, I suck at SAT Reading (bleh SAT's coming soon). I was never good at Literature and History, but recently I've begun to appreciate them more.

I'm Singaporean, so we're bilingual here. My Chinese isn't fantastic too. All in all I wished I was better at writing, languages, and critical thinking.

Haha, why isn't there a subforum for essays and the like? Then we'll not be science and math geeks.

Kyberely

Postby Kyberely » Fri May 29, 2009 5:48 pm UTC

Science - I really love it but I don't know that much about it beyond High school stuff. Reading XKCD, its forums and science magazines make me wish that I had taken it in college.
Faye Whitaker wrote:His first thought would be "BJORN WANT HOT PEASANT GIRL"and his second thought would be "AUGH PEASANT GIRL ANALLY VIOLATING BJORN WITH BJORN'S OWN BATTLEAXE"

Lithium33

Postby Lithium33 » Sat May 30, 2009 8:22 pm UTC

Spanish - I know the rules fairly well for Spanish, but I don't know/care about getting more vocabulary.

It doesn't really matter, because this is my last year of Spanish.
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity." Hunter S. Thompson

"Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all." Neutral Milk Hotel

joek

Postby joek » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:59 am UTC

I've never been able to do music/ art, and while I couldn't care less about art, I would like to be able to read music, at least. Having spent three years with it going in one ear and out the other, I've given it up as a lost cause, though.

Save Point

Postby Save Point » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:59 am UTC

What I wouldn't give to be good at math. I want to prove things :(

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:18 am UTC

Foreign languages in general for me too. I've always been awful at learning languages, which is really annoying - there are so many languages I want to learn, but I know that I'd just get frustrated if I tried.

fenrir_darkwolf

Postby fenrir_darkwolf » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:25 pm UTC

Good at math and physics. Wish I was at least decent at music (my mom's a professional musician, and she's infinitely disappointed).
"You're gonna have to learn everything anyway, so which is first is not essential."
-Richard Feynman

Allenr

Postby Allenr » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:11 pm UTC

Writing...

If only research papers could be pages of statistics and physics equations.
Spell check wanted.
Interview me!
Roĝer wrote:While bunnies taste better, nothing beats the desperate death cry of a puppy, especially when accompanied with the grinding of a chainsaw on canine bones.

fenrir_darkwolf

Postby fenrir_darkwolf » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:58 pm UTC

Allenr wrote:Writing...

If only research papers could be pages of statistics and physics equations.

I don't know, I find the whole writing paragraph after paragraph, until your reader forgets the equation is completely wrong rather useful.
"You're gonna have to learn everything anyway, so which is first is not essential."
-Richard Feynman

cathrl

Postby cathrl » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:18 pm UTC

Art. I can't draw to save my life. I also really wish I was better at athletic-type sport, but that hardly classes as a "subject".

Alstroemeria

Postby Alstroemeria » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:43 pm UTC

Art and time management, except the latter wasn't a subject at the schools I've been to.

If I could draw, instead of staring blankly at the computer screen, I would make doodles and sell my drawings if they became popular. With time management, I'll be able (at least in theory) to allocate more time to my hobbies.

Too bad humor isn't a subject.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:56 pm UTC

Art would indeed be cool. I wanted to be an architect when I was in my teens, but gave up on that ambition because of my total inability to actually draw or built anything artistic; I switched to engineering instead. I can imagine what I want things to look like, I just can't draw them. :|

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:37 pm UTC

Thankfully, I can at least sketch my ideas (albeit, poorly and with-out aesthetic design). English would be nice too (A range, but I really don't see the reason to over-analyze books until you no longer like them). Math and science just come naturally. I think Time management and finishing things I start would be what I would benefit from the most.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:27 am UTC

When I finished my undergraduate studies several years ago, I firmly resolved that one day, I would go back and conquer complex analysis. Complex analysis was responsible for one of the lowest grades I received in university - and unlike statistical mechanics, it felt like something I should have been able to get. It was so elegant, so powerful! Math and I were best friends until complex analysis.

Alas, my resolve has faded over the years, possibly because I've never had the incentive.

Birk

Postby Birk » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:57 am UTC

Math and Physics makes sense to me as I learn more about it but I feel like I am driving 200 km/hr into a brick wall but I don't know where it is. Quantum Mechanics? Differential Geometry? Cosmology? Its bound to come at some point.

harpyblues

Postby harpyblues » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:33 am UTC

Math and foreign languages. Somehow, I ended up in an honors Spanish chain for classes right now, and I kind of want out. The only reason I'm doing okay right now is because of the bookwork and all that stuff. English I'm fine in, but anything with another language is a no go.
michaelandjimi wrote:But these are zombies of cuteness!

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:14 pm UTC

Math, I suppose. But I hate it with such a passion, it's at the point where I really don't want to have anything to do with it, good or bad.

I wish I had the intuitiveness (er, whatever that word is) to grasp learning a language. Or two. Or five.

Secondly, I wish I could grasp proper essay-writing. I mean, I'm a fine writer but most of my "essays" turn out to be really long blog posts or rants. Really well thought out blog posts mind you, but blogs all the same. Despite how well written my mess is, teachers always flogged it for not being in the proper 'format'.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:55 am UTC

Vieto wrote:English would be nice too (A range, but I really don't see the reason to over-analyze books until you no longer like them).

You know, for the most part, at least as far as research goes, the book only seems to be a medium to further some theory. You know, making up for real world data. It's at least a trend I've noticed with the Marxist theorists, in that a lot of them seem to have their Ph.D's in literature. It's not exactly something you can easily teach in the lower levels, or even high school, especially when it's all a bunch of French Critics trying to needlessly over complicate everything. Which, especially the Marxists with their emphasis on the working class at times makes me wonder. If your goal is class equality, you might want to actually have the class you're trying to raise up actually be able to read and understand what you're saying.

Anyways, I wish I were good at everything. Quite simply, I wouldn't mind look and understand capabilities.

NecklaceOfShadow

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:29 pm UTC

Art - I'm horrible at art. Well, making art, anyways. I love looking at art and occasionally interpreting it. I also love learning about art history. I mean, I love my imagination and the various things that it shines through my head but it seems like my hands are filled with disgust by my brain's fantasies.

Time management - Because the court case to evict procrastination from its vacation home in my mind hasn't been settled yet.

Music - I'm passable at music. I've been playing the violin for ages and I love doing it, but I'm not as good as I think I should be. //_v
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

Fledermen64

Postby Fledermen64 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:11 pm UTC

Algebra. I know im in calc 3 now and stuff and algebra is not hard. I can just never remember the simple stuff. I know of the formula and know what it looks like and can picture it in my head but i always start second guessing myself and screwing with the picture and than i don't know whats correct and whats not. Same goes for most subjects with memorization of numbers/formulas/names i just wind up superimposing my uncertainty on the memorized answers than it gets confusing.
"I just want to say before I do this that I have no idea what I'm doing and I love you all very dearly. Ok lets light this bitch and hope for the best"
-Myself before a homemade 4th of July fireworks extravaganza

drewster1829

Postby drewster1829 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:50 am UTC

Foreign language, definitely. Maybe I'm just going about it wrong, but I've always struggled to learn a foreign language. Some people I know pick it up with no effort, but for me, it takes so much work, I just eventually give up. Of course, I haven't tried it in about 7 years, so maybe if I change my attitude and convince myself I can learn it, maybe I can motivate myself and see progress and eventually do it. I don't plan on taking any until next summer, though. Maybe I could try independent study in my spare time?

Fledermen64 wrote:Algebra. I know im in calc 3 now and stuff and algebra is not hard. I can just never remember the simple stuff. I know of the formula and know what it looks like and can picture it in my head but i always start second guessing myself and screwing with the picture and than i don't know whats correct and whats not. Same goes for most subjects with memorization of numbers/formulas/names i just wind up superimposing my uncertainty on the memorized answers than it gets confusing.

It probably won't work for everything, but I find that being able to construct the formulas from scratch is easier for me than just rote memorization. I have a much easier time remembering a formula if I can come up with it myself than just looking at a big long list of them. Also, using a formula over and over again DOES help when I am going for rote memorization.

Math comes easiest for me, while foreign language probably comes hardest. Everything else is in between, but I tend to have an easier time with the sciences than with soft subjects.

Ventanator

Postby Ventanator » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:39 pm UTC

Math is the only subject I find really hard. It's not that I don't understand...it's just that...I don't understand. I can't explain it, but I'm sure anyone who feels the same way about it understands perfectly. I have good grades (A's mixed with B's) but really, really wish that I was good at it.

I would trade history, which I absolutely absorb, for math in a heartbeat.

Chemisty is kinda not easy, but not really hard. I'm taking physics this year and hope it proves to be the same way...

As for art, meh, it doesn't take any particular skill. Just look at it and make stuff up ;) The horse is in the house because he is protesting the cruelty of man towards animal; which the artist uses to portray human to human cruelty.

Secateurs

Postby Secateurs » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:39 am UTC

Literature. I'm getting A's, but only just. Some people talk about how they ramble on for 5 or so pages and get high 80's constantly. I find it hard, in the time given, to write more than two and a half pages because I'm so slow at writing itself :x. Then there's the whole analyzing part... I can't remember getting an essay back that didn't have 'expand' written on it somewhere, but I've never actually had explained to me how I'm supposed to expand, or what I'm supposed to expand into.
Parent/teacher interviews around the corner, so hopefully I'll be able to understand better after that.

Also, physics. I'm second in my class, but I'd prefer to be top of the course xD. I'm a little competitive like that, and I really do enjoy physics. Plus, I understand it. It just doesn't translate to superb marks.
Shivahn wrote:Given RNA, derive a spider monkey.

Pit

Postby Pit » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:54 am UTC

I've always wished I were better at math. I mean, I feel that I AM good at math, but my natural dislike for math makes me do poorly. I can do extremely well in the class and still hate it (this is a very rare circumstance that had only happened in my lower level math courses). I noticed as math became more complex and less common-sense based, I began to just not giving a flying poop about it, and my grades suffered as a response. It takes a lot for me to study math, or even take it seriously, and so I have a tendency to just do poorly. This is a super duper pity, since I am an Econ Major and am required to take Calc 1 & 2, and it is recommended that I become a math minor.
The only thing better than bacon is more bacon on it, potentially sprinkled with bacon salt.

Xoco Mint / Pit

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:18 am UTC

Pit wrote:I've always wished I were better at math. I mean, I feel that I AM good at math, but my natural dislike for math makes me do poorly. I can do extremely well in the class and still hate it (this is a very rare circumstance that had only happened in my lower level math courses). I noticed as math became more complex and less common-sense based, I began to just not giving a flying poop about it, and my grades suffered as a response. It takes a lot for me to study math, or even take it seriously, and so I have a tendency to just do poorly. This is a super duper pity, since I am an Econ Major and am required to take Calc 1 & 2, and it is recommended that I become a math minor.
I think the problem is your mindset. Even Calculus is common sense, if you think about it hard and deep enough. There are underlying rules and reasons governing all those stupid rules they make you memorize. Read the above on constructing formula from scratch.

Zelda007

Postby Zelda007 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:32 am UTC

I'm pretty decent at the subjects I'm not great at, so I feel fine in that area.

I do wish I was better at retaining the stuff I've learned. I probably couldn't tell you half the stuff I learned in math this past year without looking at my notes. It's a real pain in the ass when I get to the next year and I have to sit at home for a while just going over old stuff. Plus when I have history tests at the end of the year, I don't remember the smaller stuff. That probably explains my 3 on the AP US History test. (Though it doesn't explain the 5 on my AP Language/Composition test.)

It just bugs the hell out of me to no end.

Wayward

Postby Wayward » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:49 am UTC

At the risk of sounding ridiculous, can I say everything?

It's just, the more I learn, the more I notice the gaping holes of my intellect.

But if I had to prioritize what I wish i could get out of my college education in subject form, I...well, couldn't. But I think philosophy and logic have made me struggle the most.
Don't be mean.

HuzzahHenry

Postby HuzzahHenry » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:22 pm UTC

Art, definitely. And I wish I was interested in maths/statistics/economics - I'm good at that sort of thing, but I hate it with a passion, and for some reason my degree has far more numbers and formulae in it than I ever thought possible for an English and History course...

Return to “School”