Subjects you wish you were good at?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

achan1058

Re: Subjects you wish you were good at?

Postby achan1058 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:31 pm UTC

Wayward wrote:It's just, the more I learn, the more I notice the gaping holes of my intellect.
The mark of a professor, that's all I can say. Don't worry, it's perfectly normal. Only a fool will not notice his lack of knowledge.

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:13 am UTC

Art. I'm a very artistic person inside my head, but it comes to nothing. I'm pathetic at drawing and graphic design, barely passable at prose, and the poetry I think is brilliant everyone else thinks is terrible (and vice versa. I spend a day on a sonnet, no one likes it. I spend two seconds, and I hate it, but everyone likes it). I'm too clumsy to dance, I have a horrible voice, and I don't want to learn an instrument.

Which all sucks, because every few months, I'll have the need to create something, but I can't.
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:57 pm UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:Which all sucks, because every few months, I'll have the need to create something, but I can't.
Post on message boards. ;)

QwertyKey

Postby QwertyKey » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:30 am UTC

Physics here.

Physics has been a horror-movie for me, but that is just the fun of it. Too bad I still do not really get Relativity. Electricity really pisses me off(And how little they teach it!)

Imagine this: Teaching Electricity WITHOUT any definitions for
-Conductor(Almost a given, but they at least teach you vectors when talking about forces right?)
-Dielectric
-Conductance
-Dielectric Constant
-Impedance
-Charge (Only mentioned as "Current is the movement of charged particles", Coulomb's Law went ???)

Electrostatics is touched so lightly! Seriously, what the?
So anyway, learning Electricity by myself is still difficult.

I wish I was good at Physics also because I simply love it. I'm still not at the level of hard-coding into my brain CMS or ATLAS nor am I able to really explain Cherenkov radiation but one day I really want to. Anyway, I guess I won't be making much progress as I'm not grown to be a physicist. That's just life.(and how it sucks)
Last edited by QwertyKey on Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Hiierarch

Postby Hiierarch » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:12 am UTC

I'm the best in the class at geometry, but algebra kills.

Xear

Postby Xear » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:39 pm UTC

Hiierarch wrote:I'm the best in the class at geometry, but algebra kills.

Same here.
Algebra sucks, but is so necessary later.
"In war, truth is the first casualty."
-Aeschylus

thesilv3r

Postby thesilv3r » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:04 pm UTC

I just gave up.
Last edited by thesilv3r on Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:46 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

YourReality

Postby YourReality » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:35 am UTC

I definitely have to echo the physics/math and art sentiments already expressed. I'm up to my eyeballs in the social sciences and sometimes, just sometimes, I wish I had gone into physics or math or something where there is actually a definitive right and wrong answer. I recently took a statistics course, though, and found it was tough to get my brain back into the math swing. Art would really be nice because I'm into roleplaying and it would be neat to be able to actually get the mental image I have of some of my characters out on paper.

I'm curious, all you math/physics folks out there - is it as cut and dry as it looks? I really do lament not having done something more concrete. It would make me feel better if you could tell me that it's not all that simple ;)

sir2you

Postby sir2you » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:16 am UTC

Foreign Languages. I can't get the grammar to stay in my head...
„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•* "There are two ways to live your life; as if nothing is *•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„
*•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„ a miracle, or as if everything is a miracle." - Einstein „‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*

TheWeirdDarkGirl23

Postby TheWeirdDarkGirl23 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:37 am UTC

math, i thought i was getting better at it and well i was wrong, and i was really starting to like math.
"HELL IS LIKE SOMEONE PULLING YOUR SINS FROM THE DARK CORNERS OF YOUR SOUL AND SERVING IT TO YOU (ON A PLATTER) IN AN ENDLESS LOOP OF TORTURE.- "

Civics

Postby Civics » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:26 am UTC

I'm good at math, but I wish I was savant good.

Korandder
Location: LoadingReadyRun Australian Astrophysical Observatory

Postby Korandder » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:06 am UTC

Another vote for foreign languages in particular German.

hum

Postby hum » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:30 pm UTC

Programming. And drawing or painting. And writing.

Anonyman

Postby Anonyman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:16 pm UTC

I'm pretty good at most subjects, but music and programming are two things I've always wanted to get into but never found the time for.

Hooch

Postby Hooch » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:20 pm UTC

AP Calculus AB.

I'm not necessarily bad at the subject, but my work takes up hours of my time*. I have friends that, depending on the section, are capable of finishing their homework in less than two hours.

*I spent four hours completing my test review on trig derivatives. While trying to sleep that night, I was hallucinating like crazy.
LOVE ME
djntd.bandcamp.com
youtube.com/user/DJNTDOfficial

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:49 pm UTC

Hooch wrote:*I spent four hours completing my test review on trig derivatives. While trying to sleep that night, I was hallucinating like crazy.
There's only 2 derivatives you need to remember, that should not take 4 hours. The rest of them can be derived on the spot.

Quenouille

Postby Quenouille » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:15 pm UTC

Speaking as a math major, I wish I was better at the sciences, or at least pick them up as intuitively as math. Especially biology, chemistry and neurobiology.

ihope127

Postby ihope127 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:46 pm UTC

Now, what the heck does it mean to be "bad at music"? Are you bad at reading it? Playing it? Remembering it? Hearing it? Understanding it? Writing it? Arranging it? Conducting it? All of the above? Only one of the above? It's like saying that you're "bad at snow".

As for subjects I wish I were good at, that would be everything I'm not currently good at! History and literature, I guess. Oh, and socializing. :roll:
There is a significant chance that an artificial intelligence created within the next few decades will not value humanity and therefore will treat us as we treat animals. It would be awesome if xkcd mentioned this.
----
Find me on freenode as uorygl.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:05 pm UTC

achan1058 wrote:
Hooch wrote:*I spent four hours completing my test review on trig derivatives. While trying to sleep that night, I was hallucinating like crazy.
There's only 2 derivatives you need to remember, that should not take 4 hours. The rest of them can be derived on the spot.
Ah, but do you really want to waste precious exam time re-deriving them, and then wondering if you derived them correctly?

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:16 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
achan1058 wrote:
Ah, but do you really want to waste precious exam time re-deriving them, and then wondering if you derived them correctly?
Yes, at least for the ones which does not come up often and not way too difficult to derive, since I do not trust whether I would remember the formula correctly or not.

Not to add that the prof might just go crazy and ask you to prove something that uses the derivation......

Hooch

Postby Hooch » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:10 pm UTC

achan1058 wrote:

It was more than just memorizing trig derivatives, which there are six of, not just two. There was a fully written out review that was due on the day of the test, and every bit of work had to be shown.
LOVE ME
djntd.bandcamp.com

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:23 pm UTC

Hooch wrote:
achan1058 wrote:

It was more than just memorizing trig derivatives, which there are six of, not just two. There was a fully written out review that was due on the day of the test, and every bit of work had to be shown.

He meant if you know the derivatives of sin and cos, than you can derive the other four from those two, since tan = sin/cos, and the cofunctions are just 1/function.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:47 pm UTC

nyeguy wrote:
Hooch wrote:
achan1058 wrote:

He meant if you know the derivatives of sin and cos, than you can derive the other four from those two, since tan = sin/cos, and the cofunctions are just 1/function.
Indeed, after a few years from calculus, there is only a few derivatives that I do remember, but they are more than sufficient since I can always derive the rest if needed.

Hooch

Postby Hooch » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:52 pm UTC

nyeguy wrote:
Hooch wrote:
achan1058 wrote:

So you're saying that you just use cofunctions and apply the quotient rule instead of learning an entirely new formula? I'm still just a tad confused. The source might be what formulas we were given. I'll lay out the derivative formulas I was given, and if y'all have different formulas, we can point out the differences.

d/dx of sin(x) = cos(x)
d/dx of cos(x) = -sin(x)
d/dx of tan(x) = sec^2(x)
d/dx of sec(x) = sec(x)tan(x)
d/dx of cot(x) = -csc^2(x) (I'm not 100% sure about this one. I don't have the paper in front of me)
d/dx of csc(x) = -csc(x)cot(x)
LOVE ME
djntd.bandcamp.com

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:38 am UTC

We have the exact same formula that you are given. The below gives you the methods to derive the formula from scratch if all you remember is what tan/sec/csc/cot means (which you should, especially in my school where there's a whole section on trig proofs in math 12). I personally remember the derivative for tan as well, since deriving that one is harder as you actually need the quotient rule, instead of simply using the power rule. Tan also comes up often enough that I find it worthwhile to remember.

Seeing how I don't remember the quotient rule myself, I will derive that for your benefit as well:
d/dx of u/v = d/dx of u * (v^-1) = u' * (v^-1) - u * v' * (v^-2) = (u'v-uv') / v^2

d/dx of tan(x) = d/dx of sin(x)/cos(x) = (cos(x)^2 + sin(x)^2)/cos(x)^2 = 1/cos(x)^2 = sec(x)^2
d/dx of sec(x) = d/dx of 1/cos(x) = -1/cos(x)^2 * -sin(x) = tan(x) * 1/cos(x) = tan(x)sec(x)
d/dx of csc(x) = d/dx of 1/sin(x) = -1/sin(x)^2 * cos(x) = -1/tan(x) * 1/sin(x) = -cot(x)csc(x)
d/dx of cot(x) = d/dx of 1/tan(x) = -1/tan(x)^2 * sec(x)^2 = -cos(x)^2/sin(x)^2 * 1/cos(x)^2 = -1/sin(x)^2 = -csc(x)^2

Meerqat

Postby Meerqat » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:44 am UTC

I wish I was better at art. I like to think I do alright at actually drawing things (well, I actually don't really think I'm all too good at that, but I'm at the level that's expected of me), but I can't do conceptual work at all. I just don't have the kind of motivation that it takes to make a work actually *mean* something. I just do things that look like what I know art should look like, which is all well and good, I suppose, until the teacher asks me something like, "Why?", and my only justification is that it looks kinda cool.

However, art is just what I need to be better at. When it comes down to what I want to improve, I'd have to go with probably either math or physics, even though they're already my best subjects. Go the extra mile, y'know. :)

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:15 am UTC

Oh, derivatives. I kept thinking of identities. All those tricky double-angle things. At the moment I cannot recall if sin2x = 0.5 (1 - cos2x) or 0.5 (1 + cos2x). But I suppose those are only especially useful in integral calculus.

3.14mp

Postby 3.14mp » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:45 pm UTC

Zut alors! I'm terrible at French, which is a pity as I really adore the idea of knowing another language. I've taken it since the 7th grade, and I'm really just entirely average at it. Eh, c'est la vie, I suppose, but it would be nice to know another language. (I'd also love to be better at Chinese, but what can one do with only one class per week?)

I'd also love to be better at art. I'm not bad, but I really wish I had patience. Trying to draw a still life with unforgiving ebony pencil tends to end poorly for me. When I do spend time on things, I love it a lot. I also can't seem to let anything stay dead. I don't really know how I manage to do it, but the people in my class have mentioned that I make everything look like its alive. Not exactly a good thing, as one normally wants their still life with deer skull to look like a still life with deer skull, instead of a still life with beheaded & skinned (but still alive) deer head. Oops.

lemurdoom

Postby lemurdoom » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:46 am UTC

I'd have to go with programming, or really any useful skill that involves using computers.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:46 am UTC

While not strictly a subject in terms of my academic studies, I do wish I had better time-management skills so I could sneak into a percussion practice room at my school and keep up with my musicianship. Going through drumline withdrawal does things to you
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

dg61

Postby dg61 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 am UTC

Secateurs wrote:Literature. I'm getting A's, but only just. Some people talk about how they ramble on for 5 or so pages and get high 80's constantly. I find it hard, in the time given, to write more than two and a half pages because I'm so slow at writing itself :x. Then there's the whole analyzing part... I can't remember getting an essay back that didn't have 'expand' written on it somewhere, but I've never actually had explained to me how I'm supposed to expand, or what I'm supposed to expand into.
Parent/teacher interviews around the corner, so hopefully I'll be able to understand better after that.

Also, physics. I'm second in my class, but I'd prefer to be top of the course xD. I'm a little competitive like that, and I really do enjoy physics. Plus, I understand it. It just doesn't translate to superb marks.

Teachers aren't always too great about making it clear what your problems are, especially with 150 essays to grade and the need for some kind of reasonable turnaround time. You're probably best off picking some essays you were unhappy with and sitting down with your teacher to go over them.

MildlyUpsetGrizzlyBear

Postby MildlyUpsetGrizzlyBear » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:32 pm UTC

Philosophy. Or maybe psychology.

I mean...I think I can live with not being that great at a lot of the subjects that I love,
because that's reality, after all. But I think I'd be able to cope with that fact better if
I had a better understanding of my place in the daunting scheme of things.
You know...just as a like a mental safeguard against the big, scary giant.

That being said, I (actually) wish I were better at expressing myself.
I've tried my hand at pretty much all the major disciplines of art,
and it turned out that I'm not very adept at a single gosh darn medium.

So sometimes, just to make myself feel better, I go online and find
a cool-looking Photoshop tutorial, follow it step-by-step, and show it to
my friends, who (who're all mildly-technophobic hippies) are of course
immensely impressed and give me praise, telling me to pursue my passion.

...which leads to an irritating question: why do people insist that my passion
be that which I'm best at?

dg61

Postby dg61 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:24 am UTC

MildlyUpsetGrizzlyBear wrote:Philosophy. Or maybe psychology.

That being said, I (actually) wish I were better at expressing myself.
I've tried my hand at pretty much all the major disciplines of art,
and it turned out that I'm not very adept at a single gosh darn medium.

...which leads to an irritating question: why do people insist that my passion
be that which I'm best at?

Have you tried writing?

MidsizeBlowfish

Postby MidsizeBlowfish » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:47 am UTC

French.

ntietz

Postby ntietz » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:39 am UTC

Art.

And Russian. But that's not even fair, since I haven't ever tried to learn Russian.

Kalathalan

Postby Kalathalan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:46 am UTC

---
Last edited by Kalathalan on Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Vorpals

Postby Vorpals » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:18 am UTC

Geometry and/or art.

For Geometry, I've done well in most of my algebraic classes, and thus I would just like to do better in Geometry to keep my math streak.

For art, it'd be generally useful for projects that involve drawing and things like this.

Rockberry

Postby Rockberry » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:27 am UTC

I was not good at French and Maths at school. Or rather Pure Maths, I just found it really boring. I was lot more interested, and funnily enough, a lot better at physics and applied maths. As for French, I never really paid much attention. I wish I did.

imsuzyq

Postby imsuzyq » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:39 pm UTC

I so wish I was good at science. Any science, I pretty much suck at all of them. Foreign language has always been easier for me, but you have to think of it like a math equation. Grammar is the basic equation and vocab is the variables. Or at least that's how I tend to look at it. That and I associate many things with many things, so once you are bilingual its easy to become trilingual. Admittedly though after I learned Spanish and French, German was a bitch because the syntax is different and the words aren't as similar, so less cognates to remember.

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:28 am UTC

Math. I'm pretty good in social studies, but math and science... I fail. I love science though, and this saddens me that I'm not good at it.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

Return to “School”