Art School, anyone?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

newnajinska1

Art School, anyone?

Postby newnajinska1 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:33 pm UTC

I am under the impression that the majority of people on this lovely forum are not necessarily of the artistic inclination...

Therefore, I must ask... Is anyone here a nerdy art-school kid like myself?

My school is too embarassing to name here... but I go to a school where the only science track is a minor Environmental Studies. And the most technology we get is in the game design, graphic design, or film departments.

Math...is unheard of.

So, fellow art students, let me know if you exist here! And if not... I'll just go back to my own little corner...
Lord, What fools these mortals be!

radioactivemarmite

Re: Art School, anyone?

Postby radioactivemarmite » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:31 am UTC

I did art for a GCSE, if that counts. And only then because I was foced into it. :twisted:
RahulKolasseri wrote:I'm gonna go down and find this mythical seal, and I'll search every store if I have to!

Sir Snips wrote:I was asked to "get rid of the speech quark". Good times.

http://www.stuttterblog.com/

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:33 pm UTC

I graduated the beginning of May from the University of Michigan's School of Art & Design.

Looking to do my MFA starting fall '10.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:23 pm UTC

I'm afraid I'm an engineer through and through, but my uncle is a professor at Glasgow School of Art.

Meloncov

Postby Meloncov » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:00 am UTC

Entering California College of the Arts in the fall, majoring in animation.

Kow

Postby Kow » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:16 am UTC

newnajinska1 wrote:I am under the impression that the majority of people on this lovely forum are not necessarily of the artistic inclination...

Therefore, I must ask... Is anyone here a nerdy art-school kid like myself?

My school is too embarassing to name here... but I go to a school where the only science track is a minor Environmental Studies. And the most technology we get is in the game design, graphic design, or film departments.

Math...is unheard of.

So, fellow art students, let me know if you exist here! And if not... I'll just go back to my own little corner...

What school are you going to? That sounds a lot like the one I'll be going to. Probably isn't though.

Shpow

Postby Shpow » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:44 am UTC

I did my Art O level when I finished secondary school this year. I plan on doing it for A level, then using that and a psychology course at my university to be an Art psychologist.

After that I wanna go to the Atelier concept art school in San Fran, unless I find a better alternative closer to home (Europe).
On the surface, in view, an unnamed member,
Underneath that, a flame amidst the embers.
And in that surge of flames ne'er growing fainter,
Lies the beauty of art in the young painter.

Cute Jailbait, belonging to DJorgensen!

Gaydar2000SE

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:52 am UTC

I was always into arts, I wanted to do art school, then I realized I didn't like art schools, just doing art, then I went to do a double bachelor in physics and mathematics, then I realized I also hated that due to too much calculation and too little science, I now apparently barely work as a sound track artists.

No seriously, I don't think it was the art school I hated, but any school.
^ :/

wishiwasabear

Postby wishiwasabear » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:30 pm UTC

I'm an art major(visual communications once I declare) at Washington University in St. Louis...sounds like you're at more of a pure art school, though. I've heard those can be really tough.

Intrepid

Postby Intrepid » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:37 pm UTC

yea I heard schools like RISD encourage usage of illegal medications to help keep students up so they can finish their projects.

... now that I think about it, being a CS major is a lot like being an art major because now I spend my all nighters programming. Back in HS I would pull all nighters to finish my AP Studio Art portfolio to send in. And only ended up getting a 3. Did you take AP art in hs? What was your concentration?
(^@^)

Meloncov

Postby Meloncov » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:48 am UTC

Intrepid wrote:yea I heard schools like RISD encourage usage of illegal medications to help keep students up so they can finish their projects.

... now that I think about it, being a CS major is a lot like being an art major because now I spend my all nighters programming. Back in HS I would pull all nighters to finish my AP Studio Art portfolio to send in. And only ended up getting a 3. Did you take AP art in hs? What was your concentration?

Unless you have a source, I strongly suspect that's an urban legend. Like many colleges, art schools give a blind eye to drug use, buy I've never heard of one actively encouraging it.

I took three of the four Art APs. AP Art History (By far the hardest of the five AP exams I've taken), AP2D with a concentration in character design, and AP Drawing with a concentration on the hero's journey depicted through oil self-portraits.

I have most of both up on meloncov.deviantart.com

Intrepid

Postby Intrepid » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:38 pm UTC

Yea, art history is hard. Or rather it's just very dry material. I dropped it for physics by the second week in, during senior year.
(^@^)

gpnm

Postby gpnm » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:04 pm UTC

My girlfriend just got into Pratt :)
The campus is gorgeous!

I'm not exactly an artist so I can't say much about the classes though...

Meloncov

Postby Meloncov » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:31 pm UTC

Intrepid wrote:Yea, art history is hard. Or rather it's just very dry material. I dropped it for physics by the second week in, during senior year.

I didn't find the subject inherently all that hard. However, it's a class that only the most dedicated students are going to take, which messes up the AP grading curve. The average on the exam is higher than any of the other history exams, while I'm pretty certain the average difficultly of the questions is higher.

I ended up getting a lower score than I did on AP US history, despite studying far more. Still decent, though; enough to place out of freshman art history in college.

Return to “School”