What degree have/are/will you studied/studying/study.

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

MikeBabaguh

Re: What degree have/are/will you studied/studying/study.

Postby MikeBabaguh » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:26 am UTC

Doesn't seem to be a lot of History majors here, so I'm posting.

Currently at the community college level. At university this fall, I'll also be Minoring in Classical Greek and Roman Civ.

Planning on focusing on the Classical and/or Middle Ages at the graduate level.
Pursue happiness, with diligence.

Angstrom

Postby Angstrom » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:42 am UTC

This will be my last semester as a Physics major, as i'm switching to Electrical Engineering (starting junior year) keeping a minor in Physics. I realized that i'm not that academic, but I love to build things, and favor practicality.
Power Engineering is my thing at the moment :)

The transition from i to j will be a painful one.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:07 am UTC

I plan to major in either * Engineering or Physics, and as a high school sophomore, I have the luxury of time.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:33 pm UTC

Awesome to see so many music people!

BM in music education (certified prek-grade 12) with a focus on piano and early childhood music from University of New Hampshire.

Now working on an Ed.M. for early childhood education (certification prek-grade 2) at Boston University.

I'm hoping for an eventual doctorate, probably in some area of curriculum development, and possibly a minor somewhere along the way in cognitive psychology.
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:48 pm UTC

I'll have a B.A. in English with an emphasis in creative writing after I eventually finish out all these gen eds (sad, I only have three more classes for the major but it'll still take at least two more years because of that worthless junk). I'll also have a minor in either History, Comp Sci, or Philosophy. Then it's off for an M.F.A. and launching my campaign to be the largest cardboard box salesman on the east coast.

Eps

Postby Eps » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:54 pm UTC

Two -- count 'em, bitches -- Master's degrees in physics; one theoretical condensed-matter, the other experimental particle/nuclear. At the moment I'm chasing after a PhD in the latter field; the second MS is really a cheat because I kind of pick it up for free as part of my PhD studies.

shorty

Postby shorty » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:27 am UTC

I'm doing a geography/urban studies double major. I just love the blank looks I get from people when I tell them this. The funniest response was someone asking me if urban studies meant I studied Black culture. Then I have to explain the whole urban = city thing.

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:45 pm UTC

Eps wrote:Two -- count 'em, bitches -- Master's degrees in physics; one theoretical condensed-matter, the other experimental particle/nuclear. At the moment I'm chasing after a PhD in the latter field; the second MS is really a cheat because I kind of pick it up for free as part of my PhD studies.

You're officially the hottest person I know of.

And 'cheated' degrees are awesome; that's how I'm banking on getting a psych degree.
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

spi

Postby spi » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:17 am UTC

BS in CS from MTU.

I am two and a half years out of college and so far it has been pretty enjoyable.
"Pain is a wonderful emotion, scariest sea in a world of oceans" - Iris

Lycur

Postby Lycur » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:20 am UTC

Mathematical (Theoretical) Physics at the University of Waterloo (popular school :o)

tenohsix

Postby tenohsix » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:35 pm UTC

Ishindri wrote:I haven't quite decided what I want to study yet, but I've narrowed it down to a few fields: Computer Science, Cognitive Science, Physics, or some kind of Engineering. I've still got time to decide though, I'm just a junior in high school at the moment.

You could do a lot of really cool stuff with a combination of computer science and cognitive science!

I'm majoring in Brain, Behavior, and Cognitive Science; and Anthropology-Zoology (human evolution, more or less; we don't actually have a zoology department here), and doing a B.S. for both.

Savoy_Truffle

Postby Savoy_Truffle » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

Getting my BA in Music and English.

Ultimate dream: DMA.
Lux, Calida, Gravis que Pura velut aurum et canunt angeli moliter modo natum.

Eps

Postby Eps » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:20 am UTC

studyinserendipity wrote:And 'cheated' degrees are awesome; that's how I'm banking on getting a psych degree.

How so - you just happen to have taken a lot of the required courses, or something? One good thing about the US undergrad system: the possibility of near-accidental two-for-one majors!

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:34 am UTC

Apparently I am a Bachelor of Engineering: Mechatronics and Robotics and Bachelor of Applied Science: Computer Science and Software Engineering *Draws Breath*.

PS: Firefox's dictionary fails for not having 'Mechatronics'.
COMFORT, n.
A state of mind produced by contemplation of a neighbor's uneasiness.

sirkit

Postby sirkit » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

I'm a first year electrical/computer engineering major at the University of Toronto.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:46 pm UTC

tenohsix wrote:You could do a lot of really cool stuff with a combination of computer science and cognitive science!

Yeah, I've suddenly developed an interest in AI, so I'll have to see how that goes. They're two subjects that just really grab me, you know? Finding something to combine the two (i.e. AI) would be pretty damn cool.
All is well. We are not like the others.

akashra

Postby akashra » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:03 am UTC

Cert II Engineering
Cert II Electronics
Cert IV Engineering
Diploma Engineering (Computer Systems)
BSci (Computer Science & Software Engineering) at Swinburne.
With a ton of Psychology electives.

I wanted to finish the degree at UVA on an international student scholarship/exchange program, but then I got a full time job in 2nd year and my grades plummeted :/

Would only have to take Eng Maths 3/4 and a few electronics subjects to make this a BSE (Bachelor of Software Engineering).
( find / -name \*base\* -exec chown us : us { } \ ; )

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:04 pm UTC

electoralfraud wrote:
Myself: Philosophy at Birkbeck college UOL (Politics/17th century German/Mind)

Im actually at Birkbeck right now, at the NYU in London program.

Im getting a biochem degree.

Military

Re:

Postby Military » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:06 pm UTC

marshlight wrote:One week into my third year of chemical engineering (towards a BCHE), with minors in chemistry, biochemical engineering, and environmental engineering. Wheeeeeeehehehehehe...oh man.

I'm a third year ChemE as well, with no minors though. kinetics, mass transfer, and auto process control, I'm also taking two MechE courses this semester; statics and deformables. VCU

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

MPhys graduate in Physics, PhD candidate in Electrical Engineering. Really want another Master's afterwards, preferably back in a physics field.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

fuschia

Postby fuschia » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

Lovely History! I have to do a broad spread of stuff - but if it was up to me it would be 12th Century Europe all the way! Maybe some C13th too. I feel as if I live in a very strange little bubble: all my anecdotes relate to monks who died 800 years ago.

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot

Postby WhiskyTangoFoxtrot » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:10 am UTC

BS in Philosophy, then the Master's in Philosophy. THEN back for a CS/Math BS degree. Good times.

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:50 am UTC

Almost finished with BAs in philosophy and music (composition; main instrument percussion). Well, assuming I actually do finish the music degree, that is. I'm pleasantly surprised to see so many music people here, and a few philosophy types here and there.

I feel distantly as though I should have studied mathematics or physics, and at the least I really wish I had more mathematical knowledge at this point. But, ah well.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

Steve

Re:

Postby Steve » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:33 pm UTC

NightStar wrote:2nd year student in Aerospace Engineering, with a minor in Spanish. Still trying to decide if I made the right decision...someone please tell me it stops eventually.

Hahaha...2nd year is the calm before the storm. Thermodynamics is nothing compared to the combined hell of the fluid dynamics and aerospace structures courses. Everything moves....no wait, nothing moves....oh, oops, that thing broke. Then just for kicks, lets throw in some PDE's just to ensure that all your calculations aren't solely numerical.

On the plus side, here at UVa at least, 4th year is almost entirely writing.
John Hancock

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:30 pm UTC

Right now I'm majoring in Computer Science with a concentration on Video Game Design/Development. Unfortunately it's...rather difficult. I don't want to switch (because making games is something I've been fantasizing about for years now), but I may end up having to if it proves to be too much work. ;_;
Insert witty phrase here.

Korandder
Location: LoadingReadyRun Australian Astrophysical Observatory

Postby Korandder » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:09 am UTC

I am in my fourth year of a combined honours physics and astronomy BSc at the University of Victoria. I will take another year to finish my degree since I am in the coop program then I will be off to astronomy grad school.

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:30 pm UTC

In 2004 I started a 3-year Physics with Theoretical Astrophysics BSc course at the University of Nottingham. I was accepted onto the course despite the fact that I'd only got a C in A-level Maths, and I did not adapt well to the jump from school to uni: I was used to understanding things first time at school without much further revision (and I have to admit, before I got there I kind of assumed that just because I'd read A Brief History of Time and Chaos I'd sail through it like I had my physics A-level). I only barely scraped through the first year with an average mark of 42%. Then the second year destroyed me, with marks of ~15% in the January exams. :(

They wouldn't let me repeat the year, but they did let me know that I could transfer to the city's other university, the former polytechnic Nottingham Trent University. So I did - I jumped into the start of the second year of their Physics with Astrophysics BSc course.

I have to say, it's far less mathematically rigorous (no Fourier analysis whatsoever!), as evidenced by the fact that I went from marks of ~15% at Nottingham to 70%+ at NTU, and I won't pretend that hasn't concerned me. But it's a lot more managable and enjoyable, and there is stuff in this course that I wouldn't have got to do had I stayed at Nottingham. General relativity for example: OK, so the stuff we're doing here is mostly Schwarzchild metric stuff rather than full-on tensor analysis (though the basics of tensors were covered), but I wouldn't have got to do any GR at all as an undergraduate at Nottingham as they only include it in their four-year MSci course.

So I'm now in the third year of the Nottingham Trent course, i.e. my fourth year of university in total, and I've got a small radio telescope project I should be working on rather than posting here. :P

Ninjew

Postby Ninjew » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:44 pm UTC

I'm a Freshman Music Education Major at Columbus State University (in GA, of course), and my main instrument is the Saxophone. However, due to Jazz and whatnot, I'm learning the flute and clarinet, and soon enough, the Bassoon and Oboe. What fun times the Oboe will be, with all that pressure built up inside my head!

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:10 am UTC

Just started my 3rd year of a Software Engineering degree at UTS... gogo the ugliest building in Sydney.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:55 am UTC

i figure i'll go college.

i have no idea what i'm gonna major in though.

like, i'm honestly considering being an accountant so i can make a ton of money, then work part time so i can make an average amount of money and do something more interesting in my offtime. Designing videogames or writing novels, I don't know.

I'd be a medical researcher, though. But i'm so bad at math and not nearly competitive enough to get an M.D.

edit: think i'll minor in biology, theatre, and music.

that's a lot of minors, isn't it? oh well. worth it.
uhhhh fuck.

Gatesunder

Postby Gatesunder » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:06 am UTC

Going for a programming associates right now with 1 year left.
I'm wrong 99% of the time, but some day that 1% will be better than the rest ...

ThePolishteer

Postby ThePolishteer » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:40 am UTC

I'm only a senior in high school, so this is going to sound crazy and so far a lot of people have told me that I will have no life in college, but here I go:
Dual Degree in Physics and Aerospace Engineering (or Mechanical with a concentration in aerospace)
Essentially, I want to be a rocket scientist :D

mountaingoat

Postby mountaingoat » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:06 am UTC

I'll be doing Computer Science next year. I've been accepted to UConn, Penn State, UIUC, and am still waiting to hear back from Northeastern and UVA.

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:42 am UTC

I'm in my first year of doing MEng Chemical Engineering at the University of Birmingham. Lots of hard work, but it's really good fun, and the people make it worthwhile. Go go the nicest lecture hall on campus, not to mention a building that is normally actually warm.

What I'm doing after that, I have no idea. I figure I have three years to work that out, so I'm not stressing too much about it yet.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

particleinabox

Postby particleinabox » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:33 pm UTC

BSc/LLB at the University of Sydney. Studying maths, chem, phys, and law.

Jay Jay

Postby Jay Jay » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:45 pm UTC

Final year Zoology (Bachelor of Science). My next degree will be Vet Science, then I'm thinking on doing a PhD in Biological Sciences.

All depends if I can get enough money, really.

Daeren Ryft

Postby Daeren Ryft » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:03 am UTC

Psychology. REALLY not sure what to specialize in, so some help here would actually be nice. Heres some ones I can think of.
Clinical
Forensic
Criminal
Ummm..

Really, any of the "Better mankind and understand the workings of the mind" ones. Which is, uh, almost all of them. Crap.
SecondTalon wrote:Did I mention that Robert Frost drives a rocket-car that's powered by constantly firing shotguns in my world?

Blubb3r3ng3l

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:39 am UTC

Environmental studies, biology focus, ecology subfocus.
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit

FoodSciGuy06

Postby FoodSciGuy06 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:29 pm UTC

Food Science with possibly a Chemistry minor. At the university of Minnesota, Twin Cities.

Thixotropic

Postby Thixotropic » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:27 am UTC

FoodSciGuy06 wrote:Food Science with possibly a Chemistry minor. At the university of Minnesota, Twin Cities.

Nice...I'm also at the U of M, Twin Cities. My major is Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics with minors in Astrophysics and Mathematics.

Return to “School”