What degree have/are/will you studied/studying/study.

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Re: What degree have/are/will you studied/studying/study.

Postby existential_elevator » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:19 pm UTC

2nd year BA in Philosophy, at Warwick.
God I wish I was doing Physics.. but still, will most likely swap to Phil&Literature, or Buddhist studies, for an MA.

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:46 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote:2nd year BA in Philosophy, at Warwick.
God I wish I was doing Physics.. but still, will most likely swap to Phil&Literature, or Buddhist studies, for an MA.

I can totally relate to that, although I don't think I'd really have the discipline for physics.

If you're in your second year, you should have time to at least take a decent number of physics courses still, right?
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

Kitation

Postby Kitation » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:42 am UTC

Well I'm a "mature" student (24) just coming to the end of my first year in Software Engineering at Sheffield Hallam. I can't believe how short the academic year is! I've got another 3 weeks of teaching time, about 3 exams in May then thats it, don't go back till October :?

It's been good fun though, got a few assignments to do at the moment which I'm finding harder than expected. (God damn you arrays, why are you so complicated? :( )

proof_man

Postby proof_man » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:24 am UTC

right now, english ba at stanford.

mmx49

Postby mmx49 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:58 am UTC

With that name, I would have sworn you were studying math. :mrgreen:

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:05 pm UTC

diotimajsh wrote:

I can totally relate to that, although I don't think I'd really have the discipline for physics.

If you're in your second year, you should have time to at least take a decent number of physics courses still, right?

Philosophy is to the humanities as Physics is to the sciences. I think I'd have got on a lot better on a physics degree, personally. I can technically sneak in on all the physics I want, but I'm not allowed to take credit for it, and there's no way I'd have the time to keep up properly. Pop-science books are my friends.

Lycur

Postby Lycur » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:41 pm UTC

diotimajsh wrote:

Taking the physics courses without the proper mathematical background is a recipe for pain.

ispottedayeti

Postby ispottedayeti » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:50 am UTC

i'm about to graduate high school; next year i'm going to UConn and majoring in chemical engineering.

Merkinz

Postby Merkinz » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:45 am UTC

Currently: MSC in Geology Micropaleontology to be precise

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:34 pm UTC

I'm going to do an apprenticeship to become an electrician (and thus have job security for life) which take two years and will be a piece of piss. Then I'll be nice and free to do some totally worthless degree like philosphy or film studies that I'll actually enjoy doing. In reality I couldn't case less about the BA/BS part, I'm just gonna avoid the real world/working in an office for as long as I possibly can and getting in that Uni living experience.

Plus there are massive tax benefits in being a sparky: in that you don't report what you earn to the taxman :P You've gotta love cash in hand!

EDIT: At some point I may go into teaching.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

abrenecki

Postby abrenecki » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:13 pm UTC

2 years away from earning my SACE (doing it over 3 years, allowing me to completely fail any two subjects w/o impacting on my score), and have my fingers crossed for a BSc at Flinders. Actually, my fingers are crossed for a BSc(Hons), but the TER for that is 95. I wholly intend to spend my entire life at uni. Well, half of it at uni and half in the Adelaide Hills. With a really nice camera. Anyway, the BSc. They've restructured it so it's flexible and doesn't limit students to a particular discipline from the outset, or something to that effect, apparently. So, yeah.

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:08 am UTC

I'm currently getting my prerequisites done at a community college, so I can go to a university for my degree in Journalism.

rdub

Postby rdub » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:55 pm UTC

BS and MS in electrical engineering, working on the PhD (I use the term "working" loosely here). I wanted to get a master's in physics as well (really I just wanted to take a course in quantum chromodynamics, but all the prereqs led to getting a degree), but it'll add too much time and too many classes. I actually want to leave school eventually

Edit All at Purdue University

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:15 pm UTC

I am not sciency at all. I have a first class B.A with honours in animation. As you can imagine, the job propsects are rolling in. I'm hoping to start an M.A in Film Direction/ Animation/Illustration in the near future, once i've saved enough money.
i dare you to take me on...

spacecase

Postby spacecase » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:55 am UTC

I go to Hampshire College, where we design our own concentrations. My concentration is in connections, which I pursue through courses in journalism/creative non fiction and courses in cognitive science. But I think I'm going to get masters degrees in library science and some kind of literature, and work at a public library where I can befriend all of the nerdy kids, write on the side, etc.
If I am not for myself, who will be?
If I am only for myself, what am I?
And if not now, when?

Meowgan
<3 Everyone [...] Especially Gordon

Postby Meowgan » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:55 pm UTC

I'm currently studying Computer Engineering at the University of New South Wales.
<L> dude. she made a motherfucking stargate.
<L> you need to keep this girl. do whatever it takes.

mountaingoat

Postby mountaingoat » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:29 am UTC

BEng in Computer Science and Engineering.
Possible minors in math or cognitive science.

The minor in math would require 0 extra classes, assuming I picked the right classes for my CSE degree.

Starting next year at UConn.

kevin

Postby kevin » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:13 am UTC

B.S.E. in Electrical Engineering at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor :O

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Re:

Postby Sungura » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:55 pm UTC

The Sleeping Tyrant wrote:Hoping to study math at University of Waterloo the year after next year.

My favorite math prof went there :) Eddie's the best! Cookies during exams! (Seriously, he did bring us cookies!) Plus he's the funniest math prof I've ever met, and one of the nicest. And you'll rarely catch him saying "This is easy" or "this is obvious" because he realizes if he didn't explain it, uh, duh, we don't know it that is why we are taking the class :lol:

Now for OT: Graduating at the end of the semester from Oakland University, MI with a BS in biochem/minor in mathematics. Moving on to grad school in the fall - PhD, so I guess I'm going all the way!

Oh yippee I see a Purdue person here! GO BOILERMAKERS!!! (my family is a "Purdue family". Gpa is now a prof emeritis from ag engineering, parents, cousins, uncles, etc graduated from there...I think I have more "school spirit" for Purdue than OU haha)
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Re: Re:

Postby Sungura » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:55 pm UTC

amysrabbitranch wrote:
The Sleeping Tyrant wrote:Hoping to study math at University of Waterloo the year after next year.

My favorite math prof went there :) Eddie's the best! Cookies during exams! (Seriously, he did bring us cookies!) Plus he's the funniest math prof I've ever met, and one of the nicest. And you'll rarely catch him saying "This is easy" or "this is obvious" because he realizes if he didn't explain it, uh, duh, we don't know it that is why we are taking the class :lol:

Now for OT: Graduating at the end of the semester from Oakland University, MI with a BS in biochem/minor in mathematics. Moving on to grad school in the fall - PhD, so I guess I'm going all the way!

Oh yippee I see a Purdue person here! GO BOILERMAKERS!!! (my family is a "Purdue family". Gpa is now a prof emeritis from ag engineering, my uncle was a prof there for a bit I think something in computer sci or programing or something, parents, cousins, uncles, etc graduated from there...I think I have more "school spirit" for Purdue than OU haha)
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

spit_and_prayers

Postby spit_and_prayers » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:30 pm UTC

I'm studying broadfield computer science at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh, i'm just finishing up my sophomore year. Woot for Data structures! (my current class)

Sine Nomen

Postby Sine Nomen » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:59 pm UTC

Am I the only one here with a business degree?
I have a BBA in Management and Finance
Can we say fish out of water?

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:47 pm UTC

We can ideed. I've actually thought about going back for my MBA at some point, though. I hear those can be very nice to have these days.

BS in Math (BSMA) and BS in Mech Eng (BSME). I'm about 2 weeks away from finishing up my MSME.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:23 pm UTC

Currently about to finish up a BA in mathematics, starting on an MSE in computer science this fall (with an eye towards a PhD).
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:44 pm UTC

in October I'm starting a BSc in Computer Science at University of York (England).
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

Dangerous Dan

Postby Dangerous Dan » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:17 pm UTC

Working on BS degrees in Chemistry and Computer Science.

I have a late-blooming love of physics, and may pick up a minor if the stars align themselves such that I have both time and motivation at the same moment.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:05 am UTC

I will be getting a bachelors in computer science and probably a bachelors in math from Wesleyan University (I'm a rising sophomore).

Eventually I'd like to get a masters/doctorate in something.

Scheherazade

Postby Scheherazade » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:23 pm UTC

I graduate in December from a community college, then I'm going to a state school in spring for Journalism, concentrating in Design and Online Media.

whitedevilbrewing

Postby whitedevilbrewing » Sun May 04, 2008 3:32 am UTC

Hi, first post love the comic.

I'm majoring in astrophysics. Finishing my first year.

Tobes00

Postby Tobes00 » Sun May 04, 2008 4:04 am UTC

abrenecki wrote:Actually, my fingers are crossed for a BSc(Hons), but the TER for that is 95. I wholly intend to spend my entire life at uni. Well, half of it at uni and half in the Adelaide Hills. With a really nice camera. Anyway, the BSc. They've restructured it so it's flexible and doesn't limit students to a particular discipline from the outset, or something to that effect, apparently. So, yeah.

I'm currently studying that course at Flinders in first year. Pretty good stuff actually. It's geared towards preparing you for research, the course co-ordinator said that his aim is to have each student have at least two publications to their name by the time they finish their undergrad.

Anyway, you shouldn't have to cross your fingers too tightly, you should get 8 bonus points (assuming you do chem, physics, maths studs and spec maths). But yeah, good luck with that and I might see you in a couple of years.

Chrismclegless

Postby Chrismclegless » Sun May 04, 2008 12:25 pm UTC

I'm about to finish my first year in a Masters degree in Maths.
Londo: Maybe it was something I said?
G'Kar: Maybe it is everything you say.

How tasty is YOUR brain?

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Lanth

Postby Lanth » Mon May 05, 2008 4:23 pm UTC

Next year shall be starting a Bachelor of Engineering (Chemical Engineering) course at Curtin University, Western Australia.

jmorgan3

Postby jmorgan3 » Mon May 05, 2008 6:42 pm UTC

Just finished my first year of a BS in Aerospace Engineering at Georgia Tech.
This signature is Y2K compliant.
Last updated 6/29/108

CadetMKultra

Postby CadetMKultra » Mon May 05, 2008 8:02 pm UTC

Graduated yesterday with my BS in Marine Environmental Science.
I'm old for this. 28
I also concurrently got my license to be an officer in the Merchant Marine. I'm now rated as a Third Mate on vessels of unlimited tonnage.
"Science is interesting and if you don't agree, you can fuck off." - Richard Dawkins

glisp42

Postby glisp42 » Tue May 06, 2008 2:41 pm UTC

I've been out of school for seven years and just this spring decided to go back. I'm currently working on an Associates degree in Business Administration from Highland Community College. I screwed around in high school so I went here to raise my GPA. Next year I plan on transferring to Devry and getting a BS in Computer Information Systems with an emphasis on Information Security.

okelay

Postby okelay » Thu May 08, 2008 9:11 pm UTC

I'm currently in my first year of English at USS
I also did two years of Journalism at UACh and got a BA in Humanities.

der inititator

Postby der inititator » Fri May 09, 2008 9:29 am UTC

Diplom Ingenieur Maschinenbau/Materialwissenschaften an der TU Braunschweig,

which is the German äquivalent to a bachelor in mechanical engineering and a master in material sciences. I just finished the part which is äquivalent to the bachelor and now the fun begins.
Vainö,Vainö. Missa on se vainö?

lund

Postby lund » Wed May 14, 2008 11:56 pm UTC

Going for BS Chemistry with a Physics minor at NAU (a state school =P) when I graduate in a year, after which I plan to attend someplace else (higher-ranking) for my MS.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Thu May 15, 2008 8:58 pm UTC

Starting this fall, I'll be going for a BS in Applied Mathematics. What I'll do with that, I don't know.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

MrInternet

Postby MrInternet » Thu May 15, 2008 10:54 pm UTC

Once I get into college I'm going to Major with a degree in pre-med or a science with a minor in a mathematics degree. Then I'm going to attempt to get into med school and follow the course for Orthopedic Surgeons.

Return to “School”