What degree have/are/will you studied/studying/study.

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:30 am UTC

One week into my third year of chemical engineering (towards a BCHE), with minors in chemistry, biochemical engineering, and environmental engineering. Wheeeeeeehehehehehe...oh man.
Belial wrote:Time to hide in the CAVE OF AWESOME.

lowbrass

Postby lowbrass » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:03 am UTC

I just wanna give a what what to all the other aero engineers here, and from what I saw on the previous pages, there are a lot of you (at least, like, 5!). I'm used to being the odd one out when talking to other people about my major.

That being said, I have a year left before I get a BS in Aero/Astro Engineering at the University of Washington. Right now I'm working on concentrations in control systems and space propulsion.

prysorra

Postby prysorra » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:05 am UTC

I have a BS in Physics.

And that's no BS!

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:06 am UTC

Man, control systems was a PAIN. I never want to see another damn transfer function again.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:25 am UTC

BA in Computer Science, extra-large minor in music (focus: theory/composition). No BS for me because it's a small liberal arts college.

I'm also a senior, which means I get to do IS (Independent Study, my school's capstone project that was ranked 2nd best in the nation a few years ago). In my case, I'll attempt to mimic the conducting part of Wii Music, but on a computer.

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:38 am UTC

Pseudomammal wrote:BA in biology from Reed College.

I wish I was good enough for Reed. I really do. I got under a 1200 on my SAT (I only scored in the 51% percentile or something in math, and in the 99% for English/Lit skills, so there you go) and only had a low 30 on my ACT, so I will probably never attend a truly good college as long as they have a lot of applicants that are superior.

I'm currently waiting for Portland State to accept me so I can start doing an English/Editor Major with an Anthropology minor (which is more applicable than you'd think). I'm technically a Junior in college, but I fear my credits won't transfer.

I will have to go to Portland Community College for an ASL interpreter's degree (every ASL interpreter apparently gets their degree from a community college, which I don't understand), so I may double-enroll, which bums me out to no end because I want to look good on paper, not like I'm a poor/lazy asshole with no drive, which the stereotype when you get hired and you've put any hours in at a CC, or so I've been led to believe.
Last edited by Khonsu on Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:47 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:I'm currently working on a 4-year BJ.

Out of context for the win!
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Uffh

Postby Uffh » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:49 am UTC

Outdoor Recreation, or if I can wing it Astronomy at Humboldt or in Seattle somewhere.
"The year 1866 was marked by a strange event, an unexplainable occurrence which is undoubtedly still fresh in everyone's memory."

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:55 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:

Out of context for the win!

I often wonder if Mizzou's administration ever stops and slaps themselves for creating the BJ degree.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:59 am UTC

security and risks analysis in cyber security

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:33 pm UTC

BS in Computer Science.

knight427
Worshipful Sycophant

Postby knight427 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:19 pm UTC

I earned a BA in physics from a small liberal arts college where I also minored in math (by default) and nearly earned a minor in music. I spent more time rehearsing/playing/studying/performing/teaching music than I did studying physics though, which is why I selected a graduate program in Architectural Acoustics. Note that you won't find me under students as I graduated a while back.
knight427

If you GIVE a zombie a fish, you will feed him for minute.
If you TEACH a zombie to fish, he will be munching on you for hours.

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:31 pm UTC

I just started my fourth year of college though I'm effectively a Junior because of loss of credits during a university transfer. I have this year plus one more till I get my BFA from the University of Michigan.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:00 pm UTC

Art/Education

I've considered doing something like compsci or in the bio/chemistry world, but I fail at math pretty horribly. As much as I love them, I know that it'd be virtually impossible for me to survive the math side of things. Sometimes I think I'll still try it anyway, so I can be a chemistry teacher or something, that'd be pretty fun I think. (And maybe people won't laugh at me as much as when I say I'm an art/education major :( )

Although in the long run I'll be wanting to be a lawyer, but I'm not sure yet, gotta figure out if I like being a teacher or not first...(now to figure out if I want to teach elementary school students, or highschool students...).

Right now I'm just attending a community college to get the basic courses out of the way, but I'm transferring to the University of North Texas for the spring Semester onward.

Pseudomammal
Honored just to be nominated

Postby Pseudomammal » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:01 pm UTC

Things I've learned the hard way:

• Requirements listed on college applications, job applications, etc. should always be ignored. They're only there to scare away the insecure. They're never written by the people who will be teaching or working with you, they're written by the people who are in charge of stopping idiots from bothering those other people. Once you've passed the "are you confident enough to apply" test, no one cares about the nominal checklist.

Instead of trying to meet some perceived set of requirements, it's better to treat the whole application process as admissions saying, "we want intelligent, interesting people with the stubbornness to do something hard for four years. Gaps in your education don't matter, as long as you're adaptable enough to fill them in as you go. Think you're that awesome? Prove it to us. By any means necessary." That can include standardized test scores, but it can also be essays, interviews, letters of recommendation, transfer credit, video documentaries, interpretive dance, etc.
  • You don't need to be Good At Math to be good at math. I skipped high school. By the time I got to college, I'd forgotten how to do long division. I squeaked by on the SATs with some vague recollection of algebra, based more on teaching myself to "program" than on any formal reading. I've got no head for math. But I took calculus and comp sci classes (including algorithm analysis and design) in college, and majored in molecular biology. For the former I didn't get stellar grades, but I passed and had fun. For the latter, I let computers do most of the number crunching for me. Outside of high school, tool use (e.g. calculators) isn't considered "cheating". Aside from actually majoring in mathematics or physics, anyone intelligent and curious enough to think science sounds like fun can learn enough math to get by. Don't let the poor state of elementary math education scare you away.

Warning: advice valid only for snooty liberal arts schools and highly skilled jobs. In my experience, the more "elite" the institution, the more perversely easy it is to talk your way in. Schools and jobs at the top and bottom of the rankings have nothing to lose. It's the nervous folks in the middle who are sticklers for rules.
Stop him! He's supposed to die!

Akira
The Enemy's Gate Is Down. Sugoi desu ne!

Postby Akira » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:45 pm UTC

That actually sounds like REALLY good advice. I'll try to keep it in mind!
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

Droooo

Postby Droooo » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:33 pm UTC

I'm applying to uni soon and am currently in a dilemma. I was going to do medicine, mainly because I couldn't think of anything else, but now I'm considering maths and physics as well. I have no idea...

Samej

Postby Samej » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:14 pm UTC

By the end of this month I'll be studying "natural sciences" (which, for me, is basically physics (it's what they term all the main science courses)) at the University of Cambridge; it's safe to say I'm a little nervous.

knight427
Worshipful Sycophant

Postby knight427 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:56 pm UTC

Droooo wrote:I'm applying to uni soon and am currently in a dilemma. I was going to do medicine, mainly because I couldn't think of anything else, but now I'm considering maths and physics as well. I have no idea...

Most pre-meds I knew had to take the intro physics classes that the physics majors did. You typically had frosh phys students with upper class pre-med/chem students. Anyway, if your school is similar, take that physics class first along with some the intro bio classes and see which you like better.

Don't get too stressed, you have plenty of time to figure life out.
knight427

If you GIVE a zombie a fish, you will feed him for minute.

If you TEACH a zombie to fish, he will be munching on you for hours.

grim heart

Postby grim heart » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:34 pm UTC

Working on a B.Sc Geology. Going back Thurs - weehoo!

mjec

Postby mjec » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:08 am UTC

That's what she said.

Oh please forgive me, (over)lord(s).
For context: early-20s male born and living in Australia of UK [Norman]/USA [Western European Jewish] heritage. My blog.

My avatar isn't me, it's "Law Girl". I even did an xkcd ripoff about it one time. She's kind of like my version of nerd girl.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:29 pm UTC

I'm working on a degree in Physics :D (Freshman). 4 years for a bachelors, and my mom informs me that it included a masters.

Akira
The Enemy's Gate Is Down. Sugoi desu ne!

Postby Akira » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:55 pm UTC

Well, as of yesterday, I am officially in the process of studying for my Japanese Cultural Studies degree. Whee!

I'm nto sure what my minor will be--I'm thinking Information Technology.
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:04 pm UTC

My degree is in Linguistics, with a minor in Persian.

I wish I minored in Japanese, but more importantly, I wish I majored in engineering, music, or chemistry, or astronomy, or philosophy, or pre-med, or god dammit I had too many choices and I think I regret choosing the liberal arts path even though linguistics on the whole makes me very happy.

Go figure, I'm an accountant right now. Liberal arts degrees aren't completely pointless, they're just not practical.

cacp

Postby cacp » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:24 pm UTC

Wow, UWaterloo represent!!

BASc. - Mech Eng - UWaterloo
LLB - Law - UWindsor
BA - Economics - UWaterloo

Soon a MBA/LLM from Harvard. Just need to get rid of my student debt and get a comp to sponsor me :)

DarkWeaver

Postby DarkWeaver » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:38 pm UTC

I'm less than a week away from starting my BSci in Computer Science. That'll be at Bristol (the one in the UK).

I totally agree with Pseudomammal's advice, it's really very relevant to my current job. The original requirements were quite high, but since starting, it appears that anyone with their head on straight would do well. Admittedly, it's a fairly low grade job, but it's a good stepping stone into industry.

Chiyiros

Postby Chiyiros » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:45 pm UTC

Double major in English (emphasis Creative Writing) and International Studies (emphasis Japanese and Chinese Language, Religion and Economics). Vaguely considering adding something engineering/maths based as a minor other than Econ, so I've got a slightly more easy transition to going for Architecture later if I want to.

...Too many interests, not enough time or scholarship money.
Gotta exterminate 'em before they blow up!

Also, no, I'm male. I just like Marisa.

chaosspawn

Postby chaosspawn » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:47 pm UTC

Electrical Engineer, graduated last year

as a note to all the people with witty shirts, I'll have you know
that sqrt(-1) reads as j not i.
This space intentionally left blank.

Unforgiven

Postby Unforgiven » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:54 pm UTC

I finished an M.Sc. in Computer Science at the Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science at Leiden University in the Netherlands.

And I have just started (or officially, will start next week) as a PhD student at the Graduate School of Information Science and Technology at the University of Tokyo in Japan.
Last edited by Unforgiven on Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Now we're at the museum. Do you think they'll have DDR in there too?"
"It's Japan. Of course they will."

Unforgiven

Postby Unforgiven » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:55 pm UTC

chaosspawn wrote:as a note to all the people with witty shirts, I'll have you know
that sqrt(-1) reads as j not i.

Only if you're an electrical engineer. For maths people, it's i. And normal people don't give a sh*t. :roll:
"Now we're at the museum. Do you think they'll have DDR in there too?"

"It's Japan. Of course they will."

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:01 pm UTC

I want a masters degree, but due to particular reasons, failed over 5 classes towards the end of my undergraduate degree so that my GPA fell somewhat well below 3.0.

Most graduate schools won't accept you without at LEAST that 3.0. Any advice on how to fix this so I can get on with my life?

(Particular reasons: Sudden extreme depression after being completely unfairly fired from my workstudy job I held for 4 years because my boss scapegoated me. Justice: He was fired earlier this year for a huge scandal that was even in the news)
eristic wrote:
Clerria wrote:Do you speak Greek? ;)

'maybe'

mellow_geek

Postby mellow_geek » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:12 pm UTC

B.S. in Computer Information Systems from a Liberal Arts Southern Baptist college. Needless to say, I wish I hadn't burned out early and taken the easy way out. I was originally on track to go to Georgia Tech for CS. I still want to go for my Masters degree in CS, but burning out early, my GPA dropped below 3.0 early on, and I wasn't able to bring it back up.

ks_physicist

Postby ks_physicist » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:01 am UTC

Clerria: do you know where you want to study and whom you want to study under?

If the GPA doesn't shine (mine doesn't shine much, at a hair under a 3.0) then try to make the other aspects of your application shine. GRE score, personal statement, letters of rec.

And if the school "doesn't accept" less than a 3.x, get in touch with either the professor you want to work with, or someone of rank in the department (chair, etc.). and talk FIRST about the work you want to do, and how well the department would fit you, and how well you would fit the department. After they know you a bit, then you could ask about your options--such as taking a few undergrad courses first to make up for the lower GPA.

If you show you're serious, intelligent, and willing to grovel a bit, you'll increase your chances.

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:21 am UTC

I'm working on my B.A. in mathematics and economics. It's pretty much all math though, I think I have to take a econometrics class somewhere. It's a public university, so prospects of graduate school looks bleak, but hey, it's a fun major. :D

It's somewhat hard to believe that Khonsu had any problems getting into college of choice though.
"OMIT NEEDLESS WORDS"
William Strunk, Jr.

Fat Kat

Postby Fat Kat » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:07 pm UTC

I did a four-year undergrad Masters at UMIST (Manchester), completed in 2005. (Building Services Engineering)

I'm now studying for a part-time BSc in Maths, for little other reason than I have too much time on my hands, and a bizarre passion for the subject.

That's some love of learning!
I've totally pimped your phone, girlfriend!

Tindey

Re: What degree have/are/will you studied/studying/study.

Postby Tindey » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:10 am UTC

I am currently working in my field as I work towards a Bachelors of Science in Fire Protection and Safety Engineering Technology

I give major props to those in computer science, I think I would enjoy many of the topics but a ton of the material would quickly get away from me.

aetherguy881

Postby aetherguy881 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:05 am UTC

As of now I am in my second semester at Wilkes University for Electrical Engineering. I plan on getting my Bachelor's here. I dunno what I plan on mastering in yet, or where...

I have also been contemplating a minor in computer science. However I might try to take a few courses so I can compliment my computer knowledge, mainly the Unix system...
--An open mind is like a fortress with it's gates unbarred and unguarded--
--Ideas are bulletproof--

mmx49

Postby mmx49 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:26 am UTC

I'm currently working on a BS in math, with an eye towards a PhD (someday).

blackrose

Postby blackrose » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:23 am UTC

I'm majoring in chemistry and possibly Math or PoliSci. I haven't really made up my mind with my second major yet.
I don't watch 24 hour news channels because they are retarded.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:55 pm UTC

I haven't quite decided what I want to study yet, but I've narrowed it down to a few fields: Computer Science, Cognitive Science, Physics, or some kind of Engineering. I've still got time to decide though, I'm just a junior in high school at the moment.
All is well. We are not like the others.

Return to “School”