What degree have/are/will you studied/studying/study.

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

sunkistbabe1

Re: What degree have/are/will you studied/studying/study.

Postby sunkistbabe1 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:54 pm UTC

I took a 2 year diploma course at the local college (Which is now a university) in BC. The course was called Computer Systems: Operations and Management. (CSOM for short). It was a very intense 2 year programming course, with at least 1 year of Co-Op job placement. I'm pretty sure I was at the top 3 to 5 of my class.

I graduated in 1997 and did a total of 4 work terms (4 months each) during the course. And I have been working at the same place since graduation, also in BC.
- Sunkist -

fragsta

Postby fragsta » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:26 pm UTC

Well, I just finished my foundation year at Sheffield University for Computer Science, so now I'm starting a proper Computer Science degree at The University of Sheffield.

I'm gonna be a fresher and all my friends will be second years! Ha to them, more free time for me! Booyah!

Also, I can act like I'm a fresher in lectures, and pretend I have no idea where I'm going and pretend to be psychic or something.

Felgraf

Postby Felgraf » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:35 pm UTC

I've just started my first year of Graduate School at Miami University (In Oxford, Ohio), for physics. All they have is a two year master's program, but I think that's a good fit for me. It lets me get my Master's, then decide whether or not to go elsewhere for my PhD, or whether I am utterly sick of school.

I still keep looking at my Bachelor's Degree in dumbfounded amazement. Where the heck did this come from? That wasn't four years!
"What can the harvest hope for, but for the care of the reaper man?" -Death, from Terry Pratchett's Reaper Man

Savoy_Truffle

Postby Savoy_Truffle » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:37 pm UTC

Yay! I've seen at least a couple Music Majors ><x

I doubling in Music (w/ focus in Vocal Performance) and English at LSJU. Ah, and for a BA, I suppose. I'm starting my second year!
Lux, Calida, Gravis que Pura velut aurum et canunt angeli moliter modo natum.

Cai

Postby Cai » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:11 pm UTC

I'm going to double major in History/something else (Philosophy, Education, Sociology, Anthropology) and I'm going to at least minor in some form of Music. Hopefully Music Production or something.
Dreamers never live, only dream of it.
first.am

Klye

Postby Klye » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:56 pm UTC

I've been at the University of Texas for 8 days now. My major is going to be architecture, and I hope to do something with music too.
Phi wrote: Be careful when touching it though. It really expands.

Why would she say that?!?

xyzzy
Meta-Titled

Postby xyzzy » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:22 pm UTC

Hopefully majoring in Mathematics at Caltech (if I can get in). Otherwise, I'd do basically the same thing at Cambridge (which I think I can get in to).

If I get to Caltech, I'll probably minor in Philosophy, or possibly Comp Sci.
"Wile E. Coyote was a theoretical mathematician." - Leliel
"Modern life can be so boring without elements of the bizarre or the fantastical. Hence, we have steampunk." - Me

colfax

Postby colfax » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:26 pm UTC

B.S. in Computer Engineering from the University of Missouri Rolla.

Great School, great students, great teachers, terrible town.

I spent five years board out of my mind any time I ran out of interesting homework.
~Colfax

"Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes."
-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:48 pm UTC

I took C-SOM after sunkist up there did... and I did very very badly. I dropped out right before I was expelled. Then I took EDDT (Engineering Design And Drafting Technology), and achieved the highest four-semester average (A- through A+) and some other honors (Dean's List, I think?)

Now I'm a CAD Monkey (or, if you look at my work pile, I'm actually two CAD Monkeys).

Akula

Postby Akula » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:31 pm UTC

Aviation Operations.

Everything from actualy flying, to the business management aspect, to aerodynamics and meteorology.
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:54 pm UTC

Will you be getting your doctorate?

*waits for it*
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:04 pm UTC

I don't know where I'm going yet (I'm a senior in high school), but I'll study Neuroscience (I'll be avoiding the real world for as long as I can!). I think I'll minor in a humanity, if that's an option. It will be good times. (I've been wanting the use that phrase for way too long.)
Felstaff wrote:
Okita wrote:"What are you up to?"

"Attempting to save the free world and preserve Democracy...without Liza"
But...But [that would] just be announcing you're definitely about to fail.

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:41 am UTC

*deep breath*

East Asian Studies major (self-designed) Studio Art minor Mathematics minor considering Creative Writing minor.

*drops dead*
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Pseudomammal
Honored just to be nominated

Postby Pseudomammal » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:51 am UTC

BA in biology from Reed College, heavy on the molecular genetics. Did a thesis on POT1, a plucky little protein that helps keep your telomeres from going all crazy. Highlight of the lab experience: autoclaving styrofoam.

Before school, I had about six years of "industry experience" as a software developer. I want to continue molecular biology in grad school, but first I'm back to computery stuff for to pay off student loans. I'm afraid this is all spiraling toward bioinformatics.
Stop him! He's supposed to die!

Kawa

Postby Kawa » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:51 am UTC

Second year towards a B.S. Applied Mathematics, at the real FIT. I might switch to the accounting major though, we'll see how this goes.
Kawa likes these things:
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard
math, anime, more!
Origami, Florida
New York, and xkcd.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:58 am UTC

I suppose at some point in my life I might go back and finish my Bachelor's of Music. It would take three semesters if I stuck to the Film Scoring major. Before that, however, I am looking forward to diving back into true academia in pursuit of a BS. Starting next year, if I can afford it.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

convoybutterfly

Postby convoybutterfly » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:01 am UTC

Felgraf wrote:I've just started my first year of Graduate School at Miami University (In Oxford, Ohio), for physics. All they have is a two year master's program, but I think that's a good fit for me. It lets me get my Master's, then decide whether or not to go elsewhere for my PhD, or whether I am utterly sick of school.

I still keep looking at my Bachelor's Degree in dumbfounded amazement. Where the heck did this come from? That wasn't four years!

Hey! I know where that is...actually, my uncle is a professor there. He teaches some hardcore math courses, so I've heard. My parents can't explain exactly what it is he teaches.

Right now I plan on majoring in viola performance and one of the following: music education (logical), or French (completely illogical).
In case you're wondering, no, I'm actually not planning on making any money when I grown up. I think I'm going to end up living in a box and playing for spare change. I'm still young, though. I might decide, tomorrow, on a whim, to get my bachelor's in Pirate-Astronaut-Princess studies. Who knows?
Now with more sodium! Sweet Jesus!

Sulla158

Postby Sulla158 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:15 am UTC

Right now I'm going for a High School Diploma. After that though, I think I'll end up at either University of Kentucky or Purdue studying some type of engineering or science, but I haven't really figured that part out yet.

Cai

Postby Cai » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:25 am UTC

Pseudomammal wrote:BA in biology from Reed College, heavy on the molecular genetics. Did a thesis on POT1, a plucky little protein that helps keep your telomeres from going all crazy. Highlight of the lab experience: autoclaving styrofoam.

Before school, I had about six years of "industry experience" as a software developer. I want to continue molecular biology in grad school, but first I'm back to computery stuff for to pay off student loans. I'm afraid this is all spiraling toward bioinformatics.

Out of the 11 schools I'm applying to, Reed is the only one I'm really, really hoping to get into. I'm a senior in high school... aka I am not looking forward to all these apps.
Dreamers never live, only dream of it.
first.am

antonfire

Postby antonfire » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:48 am UTC

Mathematics at Princeton.

When I read the topic title, I thought that it meant "how much do you study?". Little. I'm very lazy.
Jerry Bona wrote:The Axiom of Choice is obviously true; the Well Ordering Principle is obviously false; and who can tell about Zorn's Lemma?

Not an Evil Robot

Postby Not an Evil Robot » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:29 am UTC

BS in Computer Science from University of Utah.

dumbclown

Postby dumbclown » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:53 am UTC

I started out studying to be a panda but it turns out I didn't have enough rhythm to become one. So instead I have a nearly completed degree in Electrical Engineering.

Pseudomammal
Honored just to be nominated

Postby Pseudomammal » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:11 am UTC

Cai wrote:Out of the 11 schools I'm applying to, Reed is the only one I'm really, really hoping to get into. I'm a senior in high school... aka I am not looking forward to all these apps.

Reed is awesome. They dig weird kids -- a friend and I both got in, despite never having gone to high school, by playing up "life experience" in our admissions essays.

If you can, visit campus and schedule an admissions interview. Don't worry about impressing the interviewer too much, just show up and be friendly and enthusiastic. It helps a lot.
Stop him! He's supposed to die!

mjec

Postby mjec » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:40 pm UTC

BSc-LLB is the name of my course, meaning B. Science and B. Laws at UTas, though I also started a PhB (Science) (Hons) at ANU before dropping out for a bigger scholarship at the former. Except I'm now part time at the former, only doing criminal law this semester.

My science major is mathematics, though I could do physics if I wanted, I'd just have to do an extra physics subject. It'd be especially not inconvenient given that I failed maths last semester. I dreamed of doing algebra, since grade ten. I get there and my semester mark is 20... out of 100. Ouchies.
For context: early-20s male born and living in Australia of UK [Norman]/USA [Western European Jewish] heritage. My blog.

My avatar isn't me, it's "Law Girl". I even did an xkcd ripoff about it one time. She's kind of like my version of nerd girl.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:26 pm UTC

Hopefully BMath from the University of Waterloo.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

PandaFluff
Location: NH 9 months out of the year and PA the rest of the time

Postby PandaFluff » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:52 pm UTC

Working on my B.S. in Marine and Freshwater Biology. After that, getting my masters and working on my doc. After that, who knows. I only hope that I can gear myself towards my dream job: researching deep sea fishes. I've got a meeting with a researcher in Cambridge (of all places) sometime this month who specializes in deep sea fishes, so here's hoping good stuff will come out of that!
PF

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:19 pm UTC

I'm currently working on a 4-year BJ.

Bachelor's in Journalism.

Also a BS (I think?) in IT. And an AA in DDR.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

gtg947h

Postby gtg947h » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:40 pm UTC

Finished my BS in Aerospace Engineering at Georgia Tech earlier this year.

Steevo

Triple major

Postby Steevo » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:09 pm UTC

Drinking, drugs, and nuclear physics...still trying to figure out whether my inhuman strength is beer muscles or gamma radiation

Please note: I am lying about pretty much everything I ever say.
You remember Alf? He's back...In Pog form.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:15 pm UTC

Communications: Video Production and English are my degrees

I was going for Secondary Education English when I got the English degree.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

ks_physicist

Postby ks_physicist » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:25 pm UTC

B.A. in physics, minor in archeology (or as close as I could get to it at my school).

M.S. in physics, expected any day now (as I sit here finishing my GDT)

Coursework completed (all but project) toward a graduate certificate in geospatial analysis; not sure if I am going to finish this one, might have already expired the first few classes I took.

Graduate Certification program for secondary education - physics, in progress (completed in 2009), which I may turn into a M.S. in Education since it only takes an additional 14 hours over the certification to get the M.S..

I've attended five colleges, seven if you count seminar credit while attending conferences. Two community colleges at which I took one course each, which I wouldn't have done if I realized that meant I'd have to get transcripts from them every time I applied for a job or graduate program. One university for my bachelor's, to which the CC credits transferred; same university for my master's and geospatial work. And two universities for my graduate work in education, because they operate as a consortium and offer classes to participants in both schools' programs.

robinberghuys

Postby robinberghuys » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:55 pm UTC

I'm doing architecture! The first year it's actually more like architecture, engineering, planning and management, because they let us choose a specialty after said first year. Mine will probably be architecture / city planning.

phycoman

Postby phycoman » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:23 pm UTC

I just finish up a dual BS in electrical and mechanical engineering at Rose-Hulman. Its a little school in Terre Haute, IN, so almost no one has actually heard of it.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:51 pm UTC

Oh man, there are a lot of people into music on these boards. That is crazy and awesome.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Aeltar

Postby Aeltar » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:55 pm UTC

When I get to college, I'll start with a BA. I'll probably go to the local community college for that - it's close and my friends live near. After that I'll probably go to USF for my degree in Music/Teaching. These plans may change, but probably not.
functionally_stupid wrote:If you ever feel the urge to say "I love you" to a friend, a lover, a parent, who-the-fuck-ever - say it. SAY IT. I cannot stress this enough.

mrcheesypants

Postby mrcheesypants » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:24 pm UTC

Pre-engineering at Valdosta State University. Pretty much I stay down at this hell for nerds for 3 years then transfer to GA tech and finish my degree there in two years.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:28 pm UTC

I'm studying english at university now, why I'm not sure, but I am. Not sure if I'll keep going after next year, maybe I'll try to get into a script-writing program instead, depends on how I feel then.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:51 pm UTC

I'm in my second year of a BS in electrical engineering, with an intent to focus on robotics; I may minor in Japanese (I've just started my first semester of it). Whatever the case, I'd like to get a MS and PhD eventually; I'd like to teach, if I can. All of the most effective people in my life have been teachers.

ks_physicist

Postby ks_physicist » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:43 am UTC

phycoman wrote:I just finish up a dual BS in electrical and mechanical engineering at Rose-Hulman. Its a little school in Terre Haute, IN, so almost no one has actually heard of it.

It has a good reputation. A friend of mine who is completing his doctoral work at the moment did his undergrad physics degree at RH. Master's at my school while I was an undergrad, and then on to Ph.D..

He liked RH, as I recall he really enjoyed the math coursework.

dagron

Postby dagron » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:44 am UTC

Finished by BS in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering (double major in Physics). Now working towards a PhD.

Return to “School”