Essay? [Please don't get scared away! ;) ]

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

mastered

Essay? [Please don't get scared away! ;) ]

Postby mastered » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:30 am UTC

All right, so -
Either my keyboard is acting up or I suddenly forgot how to pseudo-type.
Anyway, I need to write an essay about myself for my summer English assignment. Now, I may be a very interesting person ... but the problem is that most anything interesting about me is also kind of personal. I'm a rather private person, and I'm not comfortable detailing my character to a stranger. Unless it's anonymous, but this is going to be graded, so ... How can I keep this from being boring?
Things are only impossible until they aren't. - Cpt. Picard

Meloncov

Re: Essay? [Please don't get scared away! ;) ]

Postby Meloncov » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:59 am UTC

Lie spectacularly?

Hitsuzen

Postby Hitsuzen » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:13 am UTC

Meloncov wrote:Lie spectacularly.

mastered

Postby mastered » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:04 pm UTC

All right...
Things are only impossible until they aren't. - Cpt. Picard

Pit

Postby Pit » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:01 am UTC

I feel that, sometimes, I am the same way (I'm an interesting person, but all that is interesting is either bound to secrecy, or should not be made public). What I try to do is find a specific "situation" that essentially embodies what kind of person I am, and then I expand on it. In this way, I can still talk about myself and express myself through something about me, but I don't have to talk about multiple events, or even large ones. I made a whole essay talking about my pet peeves and daily habits, explaining that they were just things I picked up throughout my life.

Also, use a lot of adjectives and long descriptive sentences. They fill up the void where you would otherwise be filling with actions.

And, if all else fails, change the font of your periods to size 14, while the rest of your text remains 12. It increases the line space you have, thereby increasing the space your essay fills up.
The only thing better than bacon is more bacon on it, potentially sprinkled with bacon salt.

Xoco Mint / Pit

just-mark

Postby just-mark » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:40 am UTC

My first reaction was that the assignment was just made of evil. I also think I'm a fairly interesting person but most people that I know don't know everything about me (and for good reason) so finding things to put in a school assignment would be horrible.

However, depending on what the person that will grade this is like, I've had an idea that you might like or might hate (I won't take offence either way :P ). Rather than writing about yourself in the traditional sense, you could write about what you aren't. So rather than saying that you're interested in sci-fi and satire (picked from your profile) you would say something about how you're not a common teenage stereotype (wandering the streets causing trouble etc) and why you wouldn't be like that. Then do the same with other things that you're not (not into soaps on tv, not into certain types of music, whatever). Obviously I can't make many suggestions for what you're not as I don't know what you're not into but if written well I think it could be pretty good.

Again, this might not work well at all depending on the exact instructions you were given and the person who will grade it (so be careful before deciding to do it) but it would be something different. Even if not used for the whole assignment you might decide to have parts that do this.

Whatever you decide to do good luck as I wouldn't fancy having to do it.
Latest Blog Post: Triple-booting a Phoenix Laptop
Blog Homepage: just-mark
Twitter: JustAnotherMark

the.coding.eye

Postby the.coding.eye » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:39 am UTC

When I had to write a reflective essay, I wrote an obituary for myself. It allowed me to show what type of a person I am but not reveal events that have actually happened. Since most of the things you write about will be in the future (I'm a senior in HS) you can make most of it up.
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

mypsychoticself

Postby mypsychoticself » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:03 am UTC

I had to do this once. I picked a single event (going cliff jumping) and wrote about it. It ended up being a pretty decent essay. The thing is, they don't actually care about what type of person you are. They want to know how well you can describe the type of person you might be.

You also don't have to get very personal. If you like playing D&D or WoW, you can write about how your actions in-game relate to a RL personality trait. Just find something small that you're willing to share, and look at it very closely.
I knew that we had suffered each as other,
And could have grasped your hand and cried, "My brother!"

n3demonic

Postby n3demonic » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:37 pm UTC

Or you can write something interesting about the most boring and non personal thing you can think of. Like the time you cried of spilled milk? Write it out horror style.

Gazared

Postby Gazared » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:50 pm UTC

My first day of school was today, and I had several assignments like this. By the end of the day, I was getting pretty creative.

One thing you could do (this is great if you're musical or a poet) is write the essay in a poem form of your choice. I personally prefer multiple haikus (is that how it's pluralized?) and iambic pentameter, but anything works.

My favorite "About Me" essay form takes a bit more thinking. Describe yourself from the point of view of an inanimate object. My clarinet, record player, or computer would be the best matches for me, but yours would probably be something else. It's creative and got me an A from a strict teacher.

A few questions: What are the requirements? Does it have to be a certain length? Do you have a group of questions the teacher wants you to answer? Does it have to be written? If it doesn't, you could write a song or draw a picture.
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yikidy do yikidy da ping pong lippy tappy tootah.
- Advice from the 10th Doctor

FrankManic

Postby FrankManic » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:36 pm UTC

I second the motion to Lie. Call the question?

Return to “School”