Ways to keep busy in a boring class

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Tofer

Re: Ways to keep busy in a boring class

Postby Tofer » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:44 pm UTC

lulzfish wrote:I don't actually know most of the other students in my classes, so I can't exactly daydream about them.
I usually think about computers or something.

Well, I was going to use the word 'fantasize' but it sounded a little too dirty. Perhaps it is a more appropriate term, though. You don't have to know a girl to fantasize about her.

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:51 am UTC

In English I'll talk to my friends
In Calc, well, I dunno, because I'm generally pretty occupied with the subject matter, or I pretend to be so I don't fell like I'm being such a chauvinistic, snobbish asshole by not paying attention to easy stuff that I know but they all forgot (I'm sure there are 3 other kids doing same thing)
In Band I text and eat food.
In Engineering I browse the internet. And the teacher doesn't care because I already know what he is teaching us now.
In Gov. well... they teacher is really funny, really crazy, and really sexist. There is no getting bored in that class.

Then I'm done for the day.... an hour and a half eary.

2nd semester get rid of the English and gov and that is my schedule. I love having taken basically all the classes I'd take already. My schedule is so empty this year.
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

thejohnli

Postby thejohnli » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:23 am UTC

Haha, I just had bandcamp, and we honestly don't do anything. It's really really funny.
Talking/Texting is the way to go. :3
Image Image

Click please! <3

theta4

Postby theta4 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:06 am UTC

Yeah. Kakuro's really nice. I'm still trying to get the hang of it. I also like slitherlink. Krazydad has some nice puzzles
GENERATION -i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.
PREVIOUS GENERATION: 1-i

eaglef2

Postby eaglef2 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:12 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:
Qoppa wrote:
eSOANEM wrote:I also am trying to make a decent proof that e^iπ=-1. I started with an assumption of Euler's law (not sure if that's the right name but it was one of Euler's) (e^ix=cosx+isinx) and am currently in the process of proving that. I've got to prove that the taylor series give e^x. Once I've done that I'll prove any other theorems the proof is based on.
Um, if you assume Euler's formula, then you don't have to prove it. Proving it though would make the proof non-trivial, since once you have that fact, showing e=-1 is simply a matter of evaluating e = cosπ+isinπ = -1+i(0) = -1.

Of course. What I started with was to assume the formula and then I had to prove the formula and then prove what that gave me and so on and so forth. I was proving it backwards effectively.

you just make the Maclauren series for e^(x*i) then show that it is equal to the Maclauren series for cos(x) + i*sin(x) and you set x = pi then you get -1 thus proving e^(pi * i) = -1

I have found that most activities tends to get boring after about 15 minutes when trying to entertain yourself in class, normally I just start doing math doodles (pi monster terrorizing a small town...) in my note margins
"I am a four hundred-foot tall purple Platypus Bear with pink horns and silver wings."
-Azula, Avatar: The Last Airbender.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:19 am UTC

didn't you read the last bit I said?

Then I have to go and prove the Mclauren series does equal eix.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:32 am UTC

One time in junior year of HS, I decided to find as many prime numbers as possible. I got somewhere past 1300 I think.

Yeah, English isn't my favorite subject at all. :P
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

Dromtry

Postby Dromtry » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:38 am UTC

Doodle in margins was my original thing. I have OCD, so I stopped taking apart pens/pencils in second grade when I lost a spring.

Last year, my schedule was broken up so A period (math), I'd sleep. B period was PE, so I talked. C was music theory, so I was actually working. D was English, so I slept, or, when awake, would stare at girls (fantasize, as you say). E was spanish, so I'd flirt with freshmen. F was band, so I'd play my heart out. G was history, so I payed attention/did every inappropriate thing I could think of. H was science, so I burnt holes in stuff.

This year, so far, I'm staking out which girls to stare at. I'm in chorus. It's a goldmine.
~steve

lu6cifer

Postby lu6cifer » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:36 am UTC

My biology teacher came up with a game in college whenever he and his classmates had to listen to some boring lecturer.
They'd play BINGO:

Before the guest speaker would come in, they would find out what he was going to lecture about, (e.g, cell cycle), and then create bingo cards based on the topic. So, if the speaker said a word (e.g, mitosis), and it was on someone's card, he'd cross off that spot, etcetera...

The rule was, when you got bingo, you HAD to stand up and shout bingo, no matter how absurd it would look.
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:31 pm UTC

lu6cifer wrote:My biology teacher came up with a game in college whenever he and his classmates had to listen to some boring lecturer.
They'd play BINGO:

Before the guest speaker would come in, they would find out what he was going to lecture about, (e.g, cell cycle), and then create bingo cards based on the topic. So, if the speaker said a word (e.g, mitosis), and it was on someone's card, he'd cross off that spot, etcetera...

The rule was, when you got bingo, you HAD to stand up and shout bingo, no matter how absurd it would look.

That is beyond what is commonly referred to as "awesome". I really want to try that, but it's probably not going to happen.

i_ll_winn

Postby i_ll_winn » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:39 pm UTC

I have a few things.
I do portraits and then give them to whoever it was of.
I doodle.
I sometimes decide a word of the day, and I have to think of a way to answer a question with it, like if I choose "butter", I have to raise my hand and trytand use it. Its fun when it is a contest among your friends.
I draw on my arms or shoes, if they are old shoes.
I talk
I daydream
I play with my lighter/knife
Spin my pen/pencil
Play games with the people next to me(tic tac toe, hangman, who is the alien/robot?, psychic mind reader, pass the ball, etc.)
make smartass remarks
play on laptop
post here
and all that.
There is no enemy anywhere, only idiots with weapons.
My life is worthless, how I affect others is priceless.
Spoiler:

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:19 am UTC

Whenever I was bored I would pick my nose and flick boogers into this girl hair. :mrgreen:

I know it sounds awful but you have NO idea. :wink:

She totally deserved it too. :twisted:

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:26 am UTC

I find that I can pay attention to most things as long as my hands have something to do. Kneaded erasers are absolutely wonderful for that.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

NoodleIncident

Postby NoodleIncident » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:33 am UTC

I sometimes code TI BASIC games or play them (playing minesweeper, working on solitaire and a flash card app), but there's usually too much important stuff. Also, I awesomeness of BINGO. Oh, and of course if I'm in a class with computers I'll play flash games.
Slitherlink sounds awesome. Do want. :D
Zagibu wrote:Don't ask how many times I've accidentially spawned an alligator completely covered in adamantine with a battle axe strapped to its tail.

Earlz
Gets Obvious Implications

Postby Earlz » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:51 am UTC

I *hate* sudoku. One time we had to do a puzzle for english or something(it wasn't math is all I remember) and I turned it in with like 1 block done. It's utter repetitive pointless boring crap. I hate repetition: probably why I hate most rap(if you liked it then you should've put a ring on it. if you liked it then you should've put a ring on it. if you liked it then you should've put a ring on it. if you liked it then you should've put a ring on it. if you liked it then you should've put a ring on it. if you liked it then you should've put a ring on it. if you liked it then you should've put a ring on it. if you liked it then you should've put a ring on it. if you liked it then you should've put a ring on it. <insert stabbing ear drums out here followed by high pitched screams>)

I usually work programming stuff. I once created an emulator in TI-Basic so that I could program low level things on my calculator. It was horribly slow(1 instruction every second or so) It was called SVIS(Simple something Instruction Set) and I once wrote my own (simplified) replacement of ASCII due to you not being able to convert numbers into characters. (This I completed. It was a 2k basic program... it took a while to scroll down to the bottom) SVIS itself though, never got too far. I put in simple comparisons, 1 page of memory(which is 999 'words') and movs and I think I had addition. After that point it got so tedious that it bored me. (ever tried debugging machine code written using a TI list? ) Course, the next year I got a few print offs and made a few very simple hex programs on my calculator(using AsmProgram) but that also was very tedious, and usually resulted in a crash or hang..

Another project I did was try to prove it's possible you can divide by zero and what it's result would be with fancy math... After 4 pages of scribbles trying different approaches, I gave up and my friends called me stupid.

Sometimes I try to draw things(which I really suck at) and got as far as a robot looking kind of like Bender. and a cupcake.

Sometimes I design programs I'm working on at the time. Right now I'm designing how to create a program with a bitmap(using pixels as instructions and data, and *not* cellular automata)

Sometimes I write stories, comics, plays, or short little "articles" that attempt to be funny

I'll have to make sure to try the logic ones, so I can polish up on it. I like logic circuits, but I'm still quite new(so I can't immediately recognize common ones) so maybe this will help me while my teacher talks about "X=X+1 means that X gets added by 1 and then put into X"...
My new blag(WIP, so yes it's still ugly..)
DEFIANCE!
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD

Deinonychus

Postby Deinonychus » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:04 am UTC

I usually have friends in most of my classes, so sometimes we draw each other little pictures. If I'm in a situation where I can't be seen doodling, sometimes I square numbers in my head. I can usually get up to the forties before I lose my concentration.

Also, there is much to be said for just staring out the window and daydreaming.

iscrewupCOPPAquestions

Postby iscrewupCOPPAquestions » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:19 pm UTC

Today I drew a poor representation of the famous Hindenburg photo and next to it wrote :Oh the inanity!

I felt embarrassed when I was done and turned the page so those behind me in lecture wouldn't see it.

4N6addict

Postby 4N6addict » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:54 pm UTC

I spent my entire geometry and calculus classes memorizing pi...

During a particular religion class, i would draw sixty boxes, then every minute that passed, i would fill in one of the boxes. After the first hour, I would draw the remaining thirty and fill them in until the class ended... I have no idea why I never drew 90 boxes to begin with *shrugs*

deadalot

Postby deadalot » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:40 pm UTC

I listen.

Though if the lesson is boring because it's going too slowly I try to extrapolate where the class is heading, so by the time a topic is covered, I've already thought it through in my head so all the hard questions the teacher asks are easy to answer. Also it means that the rest of the class think you're more intelligent. 8)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:47 pm UTC

deadalot wrote:I listen.

Though if the lesson is boring because it's going too slowly I try to extrapolate where the class is heading, so by the time a topic is covered, I've already thought it through in my head so all the hard questions the teacher asks are easy to answer. Also it means that the rest of the class think you're more intelligent. 8)
I do this quite a bit and aimlessly flick through my text books and then look extra smart when I answer a question even though the answer is on the next page :D (one time a student called me out on it when we looked at the books and the teacher responded with sometimes intelligence is being able to find the answer first). I also learnt how to pen spin in AS Physics, A2 Physics spent more time on the computers so then I'd flick through Wikipedia. I have also done the writing with the worse hand thing, memorising the posters on the walls and also playing with my calculator (though it didn't have any games on it :( ) When I was in primary school we (the smart kids are normally put at the back) used to do all the problems in the books ahead of time, have competitions to see who could write the longest (with pens) without having to cross stuff out, and who could make their pens bounce the highest/furthest (using the clicky tops).
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

the.coding.eye

Postby the.coding.eye » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:07 pm UTC

Factor the Time
Spoiler:

My high school has a policy that allows the use of personal laptops in any class and provides wifi for almost the entire school. Just open up your laptop to "take notes" then choose from the millions of free flash games available online.
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

Sturtevant

Postby Sturtevant » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:22 am UTC

When I'm bored and don't want to offend a teacher by reading, I find primes. It isn't sophisticated in the least, but the Sieve of Eratosthenes is a great way to keep my hands busy and my state of mind above unconsciousness. I've filled up a 30 line sheet of paper from my tablet several times with the 10X30 grid for it. Plus, there's no beating the satisfaction you get when you have a neat list of all the primes under 300. The self-satisfaction part of my brain obviously doesn't register such simple facts as the method's age (probably more than 2000 years).

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:17 am UTC

lu6cifer wrote:My biology teacher came up with a game in college whenever he and his classmates had to listen to some boring lecturer.
They'd play BINGO:

Haha, in high school we had this really old teacher, complete with a set of various catch-phrases. I still remember some of them. In any case, a couple of us drew up bingo boards with squares filled with his catch-phrases. But he was stern enough of a teacher that we didn't yell out Bingo during class, haha.

deadalot

Postby deadalot » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:28 am UTC

Angua wrote:
deadalot wrote:I listen.

I do this quite a bit and aimlessly flick through my text books and then look extra smart when I answer a question even though the answer is on the next page :D (one time a student called me out on it when we looked at the books and the teacher responded with sometimes intelligence is being able to find the answer first). I also learnt how to pen spin in AS Physics, A2 Physics spent more time on the computers so then I'd flick through Wikipedia. I have also done the writing with the worse hand thing, memorising the posters on the walls and also playing with my calculator (though it didn't have any games on it :( ) When I was in primary school we (the smart kids are normally put at the back) used to do all the problems in the books ahead of time, have competitions to see who could write the longest (with pens) without having to cross stuff out, and who could make their pens bounce the highest/furthest (using the clicky tops).

It's more satisfying when you work out what's going to happen next from first principles though.

Jonny Boy

Postby Jonny Boy » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:30 pm UTC

When writing notes in math class, I write zorro instead of zero. They have a lot in common.

And yeah, pen spinning helps me concentrate.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:17 am UTC

I have a TI-86 that I write pointless text-based choose-your-own-adventure type things, only with a working combat system.
I never got past the first, "Sanctum Adventum", because school ended. I've been meaning to get back into it (even though I deleted it to make room for the Geometry finals).
Basically, it's a journey from Italy to the High Seas to Jerusalem.

Also, I program infinite loops to figure out the highest value the TI-86 can possible hold when I get to 9.99999.....E99. I've been trying to get it to the point where it won't let me add 1 more.
Spoiler:

keeperofdakeys

Postby keeperofdakeys » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:34 am UTC

Internetmeme wrote:Also, I program infinite loops to figure out the highest value the TI-86 can possible hold when I get to 9.99999.....E99. I've been trying to get it to the point where it won't let me add 1 more.

good luck, on my casio it only works to 13 digits, even though it can go to 9E99; so adding 1 does nothing as its not within the 13 digits
(essentially its scientific notation to 13 significant figures, might be different for the TI though)

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:52 am UTC

I remember that at one point I couldn't multiply it by 1.0001 any more.
I then proceeded to type "Ans+999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999" resulting in it not letting me add that particular number. That's the closes I've ever gotten. It's so entertaining to do.
Spoiler:

MarshyMarsh

Postby MarshyMarsh » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:55 pm UTC

I just type 9.9999.... until the calculator cannot accept any more digits, backspace three, type E99 then press equals. Simple matter of +1 then, it always works for me.

Doodling is by far the most popular choice.
If I bring in my netbook I sometimes make short films with some friends in Physics (there is a huge drop in my exam results from before and after I purchased my netbook).

gereffi

Postby gereffi » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:24 am UTC

If you have a friend who's bored as well, you can play some classic board games with paper. Battleship, Connect 4, and my favorite, Guess Who. Instead of having cards for Guess Who, just make a seating chart and use the other kids in the class. It can be hilarious.

Fledermen64

Postby Fledermen64 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:15 pm UTC

I design simple logic gate based. Adders and such. Anything that doesn't take more than a page of equations and a full truth table.
"I just want to say before I do this that I have no idea what I'm doing and I love you all very dearly. Ok lets light this bitch and hope for the best"
-Myself before a homemade 4th of July fireworks extravaganza

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:48 am UTC

A friend taught me to sleep with your eyes open. Really sleep, as in vivid hallucinations while in a mild self-induced coma (probably suffer amnesia), no control of muscles, and little sensory perception. Sometimes I might even have lucid dreams. It's awesome, but when there isn't much time I design fonts, play with my calculator, and make origami planes.

Starting tomorrow I'll do the bingo.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:34 am UTC

I once fell asleep in class, then twitched and woke myself up, while also throwing my pencil at the floor. I picked it up and pretended like nothing happened.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:43 am UTC

will be trying logic gates tomorrow. Will see how that works.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:47 pm UTC

kernelpanic wrote:A friend taught me to sleep with your eyes open. Really sleep, as in vivid hallucinations while in a mild self-induced coma (probably suffer amnesia), no control of muscles, and little sensory perception. Sometimes I might even have lucid dreams. It's awesome, but when there isn't much time I design fonts, play with my calculator, and make origami planes.

Isn't that unhelpful for your eyes?
Also, how do you do it? I know how to do the lucid dream bit at night, but not sleeping with your eyes open.
Spoiler:

derick

Postby derick » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:55 am UTC

I used to design the formats/schedules for hockey leagues (they would have applied to any sport but I imagined hockey). I'd lay out the divisions, the ranking system, the playoff system, make a schedule, then make decisions for each game and imagine news story and reasons for my whimsical decision of the outcomes right up to the championship.

it'sMike!

Postby it'sMike! » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:46 am UTC

i remember me and a buddy would always draw pictures of stick people in medieval wars . complete with castle towers, battering rams, arrows, swords, whatever. it eventually evolved into modern combat with guns and tanks. i could try and look for them if you guys want. haha !

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:33 am UTC

it'sMike! wrote:i remember me and a buddy would always draw pictures of stick people in medieval wars . complete with castle towers, battering rams, arrows, swords, whatever. it eventually evolved into modern combat with guns and tanks. i could try and look for them if you guys want. haha !

A friend and I developed a reasonably intricate and fun strategy game that could be played on a piece of paper. We spent many a theology class playing it.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:45 pm UTC

Internetmeme wrote:
kernelpanic wrote:A friend taught me to sleep with your eyes open. Really sleep, as in vivid hallucinations while in a mild self-induced coma (probably suffer amnesia), no control of muscles, and little sensory perception. Sometimes I might even have lucid dreams. It's awesome, but when there isn't much time I design fonts, play with my calculator, and make origami planes.

Isn't that unhelpful for your eyes?
Also, how do you do it? I know how to do the lucid dream bit at night, but not sleeping with your eyes open.

A friend who watched me while asleep said that I do blink.
Blankly staring at a wall to sleep, walls with clocks for lucid dreams, because you know you're sleeping when it's 3☻:FGs♫ in the morning.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:38 am UTC

Squid Tamer wrote:I draw mazes. Really, really big mazes. They can take months to finish.

i do that some times except that my mazes i make it so you have to get certain items to get through certain parts and if you get one you might be thinking oh ill get that one and finish the maze but that item will lock you out of that items room.
oh and before i got yelled at i would draw huge war scenes using stick figures. In fifth grade i drew a mountain then i guy falling. this picture turned into a huge picture showing different ways to kill someone.oh and me Mom is my Bio teacher so i can't really do anything in there.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Return to “School”