Time management

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

julianharry

Time management

Postby julianharry » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:26 pm UTC

While doing my certificate course I got involved in playing games on the internet. The time spent there is so much that I am not fully concentrating on my studies at all. There has been a constant decline in my academics and I feel that I am not being able to manage my time.
Kindly suggest me a way out to move on.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Time management

Postby Angua » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:29 pm UTC

Try looking up the threads on procrastination (there are numerous in here and maybe one in Dear SB, iirc the one in Dear SB was called Am I lazy?). I'll try and remember to come back and edit in the threads in question when I have time).
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Terpsichore

Postby Terpsichore » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:01 pm UTC

I had the same problem as you for a while, but the fact that you're posting here about it shows that you're concerned enough yourself to ask for help- you know the situation isn't working for you.
I felt that I was out of control, that hours of my day would just disappear into an online world.
For a starter, I kept a little diary of how I spent my day and looked back at it and was shocked to see just how much of my time it was eating up. Try it, and if you are unhappy with the way you are spending your time, there are a few solutions available:

- Set a number of playing hours per day. This is difficult, in terms of sticking to it, because you'll find yourself trying to play just a little bit more each day and slipping back into old habits.
- Strictly allocate your time for everything you do. This limits your flexibility in what you can do, and I found this impossible to stick to because I couldn't stand the restriction.
- Go cold turkey with the games. Ultimately, are they more important to you than other things you could be doing- Are they your life? Are they what you want it to be? I finally decided this was the best option for me, and blocked all the URLs out of my router and got a friend to change the password. Every time I was about to find a way to access them, I had to stop and think. It's all about giving yourself breathing space, time to think about what you are doing and whether it's really what you want.

Finally, remember that you're human. You don't need to be machine level efficient, making all your time work as hard as it can (no matter what on). Look out for what you really want from your life, and stop at nothing to get it.

Good luck :)

the.coding.eye

Postby the.coding.eye » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:54 pm UTC

I would recommend the "keep a diary" idea. Also, to help you stay off a group of websites, you can essentially create a black list using your hosts file (if you're a windows person). Undoing the changes in the hosts file just to play a game would probably be too much of a hassle and that would hopefully keep you off those sites.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:35 am UTC

Terpsichore wrote:- Strictly allocate your time for everything you do. This limits your flexibility in what you can do, and I found this impossible to stick to because I couldn't stand the restriction.

This is what I do, with a "fun" time set aside as well. I try to avoid wasting (too much) time checking facebook and doing "fun" things while I am scheduled to do other things (ie. work!). Simply planning out your day can help. Wasting time is easy if you haven't planned how you're going to use your time.

marrysuu

Postby marrysuu » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:45 pm UTC

As far as current certification course is concerned, you have to manage time very properly. Since you look quite internet savvy, this would help you in near future. You can explore these skills to build career in future.

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:18 pm UTC

Get away from your computer, bring your books to the library, cafe, any place where you can't play games. Unless the internet is actually where you study as well, in which case the problem is more complicated...

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:45 pm UTC

Just do it right when you get home. Then the rest of your time is for whatever the hell you want.
Spoiler:

Return to “School”