College Computer

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Ventanator

College Computer

Postby Ventanator » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:07 pm UTC

This could have easily went in the computer science section, but I decided that it would probably be better suited for school...so, here is a simple question for those with more experience, which is probably everyone...

Anyway, come next fall I'll be heading off to college. I'm not sure about my major yet (it's been narrowed down to either computer science or english though) but I know that I'll be needing a computer. What do you suggest as a good computer? I just want to download and watch movies, have a place to hook up my ipod, be able to quickly browse the internet, et cetera. Nothing super heavy, well, nothing that I can think of now. It would be really nice if it would last at least four years, and even nicer if it was under $700...

So, any suggestions? Advice?

Game_boy

Re: College Computer

Postby Game_boy » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:45 am UTC

Computers have become very cheap recently. You can build a gaming PC that will play just about anything on good resolutions and high settings for $450, and for watching movies/browsing internet maybe $350. I suggest you have a desktop (it will be quiet, small form factor and low power at $350) and a cheap netbook for portability that does internet browsing and office documents.

sub-$450 build:

CPU: Athlon II X4 620 ($99)
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 4850 ($80 w/ rebate)
RAM: 4GB DDR2-1066 ($70)
Motherboard: micro-ATX 785G motherboard ($70)
Combo with graphics card/motherboard so $15 reduction
HDD: 640GB ($65)
micro-ATX case plus >500W PSU ($50)
DVD burner ($30)
Total: $449

sub-$350 build:

CPU: Athlon II X2 250 ($76)
Graphics: Integrated
RAM: 4GB DDR2-1066 ($70)
Motherboard: micro-ATX 785G motherboard ($80)
Combo with CPU/motherboard so $20 reduction
HDD: 500GB ($50)
micro-ATX case plus >500W PSU ($50)
DVD burner ($30)
Total: $336

All of the above are with good quality components from manufacturers with a good reputation. You could go another $50 lower if you went with generic components. If you were to get a laptop with the equivalent performance for either, they would cost 2-3x as much and they would be heavy with short battery life anyway so there would be little point to it being a laptop.
Last edited by Game_boy on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.

Ventanator

Postby Ventanator » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:28 pm UTC

Wow, that helps a lot! Thanks!

The only problem is that I've never assembled a computer before...I guess it couldn't hurt to though, seeing as that 'computer science' thing up there will probably have a little to do with that every once and again...

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:33 am UTC

Try a Thinkpad Z60t. I use mine. It has a titanium body and it is awesome. The antenna for wi-fi is in the back of the monitor-thing for maximum reception.

It'll play most games made pre-2005. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory works well on the lowest settings, and I can play games like Subspace Continuum and NetHack quite easily. I like it very much.

Plus, it has a FUCKING FINGERPRINT SCANNER too for the rule of cool
Spoiler:

lu6cifer

Postby lu6cifer » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:34 am UTC

If it were me, I'd get a decent desktop like the ones mentioned by Game_boy, and maybe a netbook for notetaking
And though they're great quality laptops (I'm pretty sure they're actually used in space), Thinkpads are a bit on the expensive side, for me at least.
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

sleeply

Postby sleeply » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:39 am UTC

lu6cifer wrote:If it were me, I'd get a decent desktop like the ones mentioned by Game_boy, and maybe a netbook for notetaking
And though they're great quality laptops (I'm pretty sure they're actually used in space), Thinkpads are a bit on the expensive side, for me at least.

I would go with this option too. Laptops have a reputation of breaking quite easily whereas desktops are generally more reliable, so I would get a good desktop computer and a cheap netbook for notetaking, like lu6cifer said. This has the benefit of both affordability (you won't spend a lot of money on a laptop only to have it break) and reliability (the desktop will likely last through most of your time at college, or even longer). If the netbook breaks, that's not much of a problem, since you can get another one for a pretty low price and you can use the desktop as a backup for your notes/reports/etc.
A poster for the philosophy club wrote:What if the world were a pineapple and we were all talking violins?
A poster for the math club, with an arrow pointing to the above sign wrote:Someone must have divided by zero!

Return to “School”