How campus food has drove me crazy

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

slightlydead

How campus food has drove me crazy

Postby slightlydead » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:25 am UTC

My first year college experience was interesting. I'd been steadily going MAD on a diet of sugar and meat. Pop tarts in the morning and whatever meats served at night. I was always feeling tired and depressed. Little did I know this was probably caused by Tryptophan from the meat and my general lack of good vegetables and fruit. A funny cycle happened, the more tired and depressed I felt the more inclined I was to eating pop tarts and going to my local dining center and eating from its carnivore only menu. A lack of fiber caused my anal wall to tear and everytime I went to the bathroom and looked at the tissue paper I saw a deep shade of crimson red. Couldn't sleep, caught colds and I became paranoid, (self diagnosis in abnormal psychology hahaha). I twitched, I never walked, I sprinted place to place. My academic work had somehow been pretty good but come finals, I was so messed up I stopped caring, sat on my laptop the day before finals playing games and dragged my grades to a B. My epiphany came when I went back home, my parents were gone on vacation and I ate microwave foods for lunch and dinner, skipping breakfast cause I slept and woke erratically, sometimes late sometimes early. Caught the flu or stomach virus somehow and basically rolled around on the floor by myself dazed and suffering with a headache that I think was probably caused by the sodium in my diet. When my parents came back, I relished vegetables. I even went to work part time at a farmer's market selling vegetables.

So... moral of the story, you're not necessarily miserable, suicidal and empty because of blah blah social reasons or short straws in the gene pool. WATCH WHAT YOU EAT!

Azrael001

Re: How campus food has drove me crazy

Postby Azrael001 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:05 am UTC

That sounds a lot like my year last year with better marks and more drastic health problems. I only got cellulitis. I tend to use V8 for my vegetables as it's easier and tastier than most vegetables.

mypsychoticself

Postby mypsychoticself » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:18 am UTC

Nitpickery: Either "has driven" or "drove." "Has drove" is incorrect.
</nitpickery>

It can be hard to keep up with fruits and vegetables in the school cafeteria, so I offer my own humble suggestions: Juice and vitamin supplements. While fresh fruit is tasty, it can go bad quickly. Juice lasts much longer and provides the same vitamins and minerals. The dietary supplement is just a good precautionary measure.
I knew that we had suffered each as other,
And could have grasped your hand and cried, "My brother!"

slightlydead

Postby slightlydead » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:10 pm UTC

mypsychoticself wrote:Nitpickery: Either "has driven" or "drove." "Has drove" is incorrect.
</nitpickery>

It can be hard to keep up with fruits and vegetables in the school cafeteria, so I offer my own humble suggestions: Juice and vitamin supplements. While fresh fruit is tasty, it can go bad quickly. Juice lasts much longer and provides the same vitamins and minerals. The dietary supplement is just a good precautionary measure.

i'm not still crazy? :wink: I like juice, but there's so much sugar there too. And the good fruit juices are very expensive at my school, ~5.50 a bottle.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:23 pm UTC

If you can I'd say go to local grocery stores and get V8. It keeps well in the fridge, and is pretty cheap.

Not A Llama

Postby Not A Llama » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:35 pm UTC

Some fruits and veggies last quite well, even without a fridge. winter squash, cabbage, small amounts of apples, tomatoes and bananas are all pretty reliable. I speak from experience because my fridge is so crammed with food right now, the apples and stuff have to sit in a box until they are eaten.
Farmers markets are a good thing. there is a reason they run a couple times per week in a lot of locations. Buy a handful of local fruits and veg, enough to get you through for 2 or 3 days of snacking and you're good to go.

Also, never underestimate the nutritional power of those 1lb bags of pre-peeled grinder carrots.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:41 pm UTC

While a healthy diet is certainly a good idea, self-diagnosis with insufficient information is a really, really terrible idea. Rather than speculate about tryptophan and sodium and the status of your anal wall, I'd suggest going to see a doctor if something like that happens again.

convoybutterfly

Postby convoybutterfly » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:12 am UTC

I consider myself very lucky because I belong to a co-op. Student-run, with student cooks. Everyone makes food with a minimum of grease and a maximum of love and care, and my co-op is "vegetarian with vegan options." Lots of greens, lots of beans. I'm feeling pretty good.

If your school has such an option, you should jump on it. Also, it'll keep you from getting ripped off by your campus' dining service, which generally overcharges everyone. This goes for everyone. Co-operate!
Now with more sodium! Sweet Jesus!

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:14 am UTC

mypsychoticself wrote:Nitpickery: Either "has driven" or "drove." "Has drove" is incorrect.
</nitpickery>

Ditto, get yourself a nice multi-vitamin and vitamin C. It's like six bucks at Target for two large bottles. It's done a decent enough job for me.

Return to “School”