Testing into Chemistry

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

The Happy Genius

Testing into Chemistry

Postby The Happy Genius » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:41 am UTC

So I screwed up my schedule and didn't take Introduction to Chemistry (for students who didn't have chemistry in HS) so if I take it next quarter, I'll be 2 quarters behind, instead of 1 quarter behind, which will make it impossible to catch up without being a year behind. (one quarter behind I can catch up summer quarter)

now, I'm confident I can test into 1st quarter chemistry (CHEM 141, here), and skip the Intro to Chem, however, I'm a little worried that this may set me up for failure in the future, especially considering I'm going towards a Chemical Engineering degree. I'm sure I can teach myself enough chemistry to pass the test.

Opinions?

thanks!

psychosomaticism

Re: Testing into Chemistry

Postby psychosomaticism » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:02 am UTC

You didn't take chem in high school, but you want to be a chem major?

If I'm just being ignorant on that front, my suggestion would be to talk to the teacher of the course or students in the class, get the notes, learn the stuff and take the test. The only thing is, when do you want to take this next class? Is it not the second quarter now? (I'm a little confused, we do semesters in Canada, not quarters, but I'm assuming a quarter is a half-semester) If you think you can do it, then by all means, give it a try, but I would talk to an advisor, even if you're feeling confident, because they'll help you look at all your options.

Also, why are you worried about being half a year behind anyway? Is there a deadline you're trying to meet? Sometimes it's okay to be a bit behind; you yourself determine how important it is to finish quick/slow/on time.

The Happy Genius

Postby The Happy Genius » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:15 am UTC

HS was a while ago, I graduated in 2003. Took me 6 years of working to decide I want to go to school for Chemical Engineering, the thought had never even crossed my mind back in HS.

Next class is 'winter' quarter, which starts beginning of January, registration starts November 12th.

As far as timing, I'm currently going to a community college with the intention of transferring to a university, I can only do that during a specific time of year, so if I'm a quarter behind, I'm screwed because certain chemistry classes are only offered certain quarters.

I have the current intro to chem text book, as well as a classmate is taking the intro to chem and I've been able to look over her notes.

psychosomaticism

Postby psychosomaticism » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:54 am UTC

Ah. Had the same problem, actually fairly similar. Was after the first year of community college that I realized I wanted to do a biology major, but I had never done the prerequisite physics or calculus for science majors. I took physics by correspondence (distance learning, whatever you call it), and tackled the calc in the coming year of community college. Got both of them on my own time, and went on to a degree university. I sure didn't do it all that quickly, but it relates in that you can do whatever you want whenever you want.

If you find some way to take the course through another school through distance ed., and just do the labs in the summer or whatever, that could work, but I don't much know your situation well enough to list off all the possible options you might have. If you think you can cram in a course's worth of info and pass the test before January, go for it, but I would think this a pretty daunting task. You could also just talk to the instructor, depending on how lenient they are, and see if they could waive the prerequisite for you, or accept it as a co-requisite (doing it at the same time as the course you want to take, although you'd have to find some means of getting the course)

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:26 pm UTC

Can you count to 10? Do you know what atoms are? Do you know all the letters of the alphabet?

If so, you dont need pre-intro chem.

The Happy Genius

Postby The Happy Genius » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:03 am UTC

Well, I grabbed the previous edition of the current textbook for $5 shipped off Amazon. Been teaching myself chem for the last couple weeks.

Took the placement test today, I think I did pretty well. I still have some issues with nomenclature, there was only one question on it. Most of the test was equations. Pretty sure my numbers came out proper.

It's all pretty easy, just takes repetition to get it faster and with more confidence. I'll know in a couple days if I've passed.

Return to “School”