I need pen recommendations!

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Mymbu

I need pen recommendations!

Postby Mymbu » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:29 pm UTC

Hello everyone!

If you have time I could use some recommendations on a good pen to take notes with. I will be using it in what is probably the same as college in the US.

I think I've read a thread like this before, but unfortunately i couldn't find it.

acb

Re: I need pen recommendations!

Postby acb » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:13 pm UTC

I always use these - they took a couple of days of getting used to because they are quite wide where you hold them but they are easy to write with and the lines are nice and smooth.

They are amazing, but quite expensive (about £2 each).

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:19 pm UTC

acb wrote:I always use these - they took a couple of days of getting used to because they are quite wide where you hold them but they are easy to write with and the lines are nice and smooth.

They are a joy to write with, certainly. But yeah, the real issue is, at £2 each, you can find similar alternatives. Supermarkets own brand alternatives are often usable if a bit crappy because of the ink, WHSmiths has similar style pens that come in better value packs. This is all based on the assumption you like the black, inky type pens, if not, I'm not really sure what to suggest. I won't even begin to mention fountain pens but that's just my tortured and disturbed past.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

Mymbu

Postby Mymbu » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:51 pm UTC

thicknavyrain wrote:
acb wrote:I always use these - they took a couple of days of getting used to because they are quite wide where you hold them but they are easy to write with and the lines are nice and smooth.

They are a joy to write with, certainly. But yeah, the real issue is, at £2 each, you can find similar alternatives. Supermarkets own brand alternatives are often usable if a bit crappy because of the ink, WHSmiths has similar style pens that come in better value packs. This is all based on the assumption you like the black, inky type pens, if not, I'm not really sure what to suggest. I won't even begin to mention fountain pens but that's just my tortured and disturbed past.

I do like black, inky type pens. The cost isn't really an issue since it's important to me that they're good.

Maybe I should add that I'm left-handed, so smearing is sometimes an issue.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:14 pm UTC

I was about to suggest the exact same pens (Pilot ExtraFine V5). They cost about $1.50 or $2 each here, though.

I do a lot of writing, and these are the only pens that I'll use. Everything else requires too much pressure to write, and if you're writing like 10+ pages of something then even the slightest bit of pressure gets annoying very quickly.

However, they can bleed very slightly, and they do smudge on glossier paper. Since you're left-handed, that may affect your decision. KF
~Kizyr

cv4

Postby cv4 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:29 pm UTC

I like the Pilot love on here.

I am a big fan of the Pilot G-Tec C4.

lu6cifer

Postby lu6cifer » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:45 pm UTC

Pilot is good, but I'm rather partial to the uniballs
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

Random832

Postby Random832 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:48 pm UTC

not liquid ink, but i've always preferred the G2 (the liquid ink ones have a nasty tendency to stain things if the tip is left in contact with any porous material)

lu6cifer

Postby lu6cifer » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:52 pm UTC

Sort of diverging here, but as we're talking about writing utensils, what pencils do everyone use?
My favorite are the bic mechanical ones, which are really cheap in bulk
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

oxy

Postby oxy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:01 am UTC

I second uniballs, espcially the black "micro" ones with the smaller tip. I'm leftie too, and they sometimes smudge a little, but only on crappy paper (since your taking notes, I assume you pick the paper). And they make for fast writing.

squareroot1

Postby squareroot1 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:37 am UTC

My favorite pen I have ever purposefully bought was a uni-ball Deluxe Micro.
It needs almost no pressure and has a smooth ink flow.
I'm a righty so I'm not sure how it deals with smudging.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:05 am UTC

I used to use pens, but I now shy away from it. Using white-out is too much hassle, and crossing off things simply looks ugly. I now use mechanical pencils instead. Currently this one, except it is in black:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/3 ... AA280_.jpg

I like the grip, in particular. They feel comfortable, unlike the bic ones.

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:38 am UTC

Pentel's Energel line is pretty nice too, all of my "main" pens are those, except the blue one which is a Pilot G2 I found on the floor once. They are a gel pens, so they write fairly heavy with barely any pressure, but don't smear too bad. They also have a mostly aluminum body, which I like. They do run about $1.50-2 each though, which seems to be a running problem in this thread.

EDIT: For pencils, I roll with these: http://www.amazon.com/BIC-Reaction-Mech ... 187&sr=1-7
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

Zeroignite
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Zeroignite » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:54 am UTC

I'm a pretty big fan of uniball pens. The ink is of excellent quality (non-smudging, non-blotting, stokes have clean edges), and the grip is good. However, avoid the superfine pointed versions-- the tip bends and breaks easily, in my experience.

For pencils, the Dixon Ticonderoga is far and away the best product. They sharpen better, are more durable, and write more cleanly than any other pencil I've used. Hardly ever do the tips break, and each one lasts a long, long time. The erasers are the perfect consistency, work quickly, practically leave no trace, and never fall out (unlike some cheaper brands). The yellow version is the classic, but I personally prefer the black edition-- the only difference is aesthetics.
She/her/hers
Avatar sketched by Hazel / drawn by Amii

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:39 pm UTC

While I've already expressed my love of Pilot V5 pens, the Uniball ones are second on the list. They don't smudge as much if you're left-handed, but the tradeoff is that the balance/weight doesn't feel as comfortable. (So, try them both out and see which one you prefer.)

For pencils, I don't always use them (on account of requiring pressure to write, which gets tiring after a few pages). But when I do, I prefer Pentel P205 0.5mm mechanical pencils--those are the kind with the needle-point tip that can cut through paper. I write very small and use a lot of symbols/Japanese characters in my notes, so, I need something very precise like that. KF
~Kizyr

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:40 pm UTC

I don't use pens except for official things and other instances that might warrant pens (correcting papers). For pencils, I am a fan of mechanical pencils, and I usually use a normal .7 mm bic pencil. I just like mechanicals since you don't have to sharpen them, so I always get a consistent line width.

jmorgan3

Postby jmorgan3 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:57 pm UTC

I'm a leftie and have found that the Pilot G2 is fast-drying enough that I don't smudge. I mostly use a mechanical pencil now, though. (It's just not engineering if it's not in mechanical pencil on yellow paper)
This signature is Y2K compliant.
Last updated 6/29/108

Dromtry

Postby Dromtry » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:54 pm UTC

Woodcase pencils are less common the further you go. They are quite common in grade school, but a mechanical is almost always better. ME, I too use a P205, I have one with the long tip and one with a retractable.

For pens, I use a 1930 Parker Duofold Big Red. It's not exactly a pen I'd tell you to go out and buy immediately, but I love it. A good line of pens are Zebra's rollerballs. They are a very dark black, and have a nice weight in the hand.
~steve

hintss

Postby hintss » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:49 am UTC

Pilot G2

the black onees are too inky, but the blue and red ones are great and easy to disasemble.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:47 am UTC

I love these pens. They write better than any of my other pens.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Pippin

Postby Pippin » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:14 am UTC

Hmm.. I've seen a lot of people suggesting various Pilots and Uniballs, but haven't seen anyone toss out Sarasa yet. They're a rollerball pen, nice and inky. They smudge a little on glossier surfaces, but in my experience, they work better than Pilots or Uniballs and the rollerball has never gotten "jammed" on me like they do with the Uniballs and occasionally the Pilots. They're a little bit on the expensive side, but I like them quite a lot and use them pretty much exclusively now.
"Originality is the art of concealing your sources." -- Benjamin Franklin

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:36 am UTC

Well, I love the plain old bic mechanical pencils, and ticonderoga pencils, but I am still searching for a good pen. See, the nice uniballs and stuff don't work, for me because I write in a lab notebook for AP Chem, and need a ballpoint, though preferably one that wont die!
advice?

Zeroignite
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Zeroignite » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:10 am UTC

See, I use pencils for pretty much everything, with the exception of things that actually require pen. As it happens, lab notebook is one of those things. Also, as it happens, my uniball vision micro is the only one of my pens that can both write cleanly on the original, and is firm enough to make a clear duplicate. Also, they last a very long time per unit.
She/her/hers
Avatar sketched by Hazel / drawn by Amii

Secateurs

Postby Secateurs » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:26 am UTC

Personally, I find it weird to write with anything other than a Parker pen, because I'm so used to the weight (for anyone who hasn't used them before, they're fairly heavy, metal casing). They're not the disposable type, but I just buy the refills when it runs out. They're more expensive, but yeah, you just keep refilling the casing. I'm a lefty too, so the ink needs to be quick-drying.
(I still end up with pen on my little finger, but it doesn't smudge everywhere, so it's good enough.)
Shivahn wrote:Given RNA, derive a spider monkey.

wst

Postby wst » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:34 pm UTC

I used to use a Parker pen, went home with blue hands every. single. day. Not the best choice for a lefty. Bic ballpoints are good for general note taking but I like a Pentel v2 if I have sketches to do.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Numquam

Postby Numquam » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:03 am UTC

I'm a big fan of Pilot G2's.
admiror, o internet, te non cecidisse (ruinis)
qui tot scriptorum taedia sustineas

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:34 pm UTC

Cynical Idealist wrote:I love these pens. They write better than any of my other pens.

I love these. I'm pretty sure there are pencils of the same exact shape which are ALSO awesome. Mechanical, OC.
Omni.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:18 pm UTC

Ralith The Third wrote:
Cynical Idealist wrote:I love these pens. They write better than any of my other pens.

I love these. I'm pretty sure there are pencils of the same exact shape which are ALSO awesome. Mechanical, OC.

Yes, there are.

They're nice for writing, but you absolutely need a separate eraser. The ones built in really suck (and are really tiny).
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:59 pm UTC

rath358 wrote:Well, I love the plain old bic mechanical pencils, and ticonderoga pencils, but I am still searching for a good pen. See, the nice uniballs and stuff don't work, for me because I write in a lab notebook for AP Chem, and need a ballpoint, though preferably one that wont die!
advice?

I never had a problem using Pilot G2s in my lab notebooks in AP Chem...
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

Nec

Postby Nec » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:49 am UTC

Everyone seems to go for Pilot :P Im more of a pencil guy, but the only pens I like using have to be made by Zebra, specifically the F-701

radioactivemarmite

Postby radioactivemarmite » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:09 pm UTC

I love the uni-ball eye pens to the point of obsession. However, they do smudge. (and I'm a rightie)

Spoiler:
http://www.uniball.co.uk/Products/Rollerball/UB-150-Eye-Fine.aspx

Spoilered because my lappy refuses to do the URL thingy.
RahulKolasseri wrote:I'm gonna go down and find this mythical seal, and I'll search every store if I have to!

Sir Snips wrote:I was asked to "get rid of the speech quark". Good times.

http://www.stuttterblog.com/

ginadagny

Postby ginadagny » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:51 pm UTC

I really like Pilot pens, especially their fine tipped ball point pens. I usually don't roll with gel or fountain pens. I like the ink to not show through the other side of the paper.

Spoiler:
http://www.pilotpen-store.com/product_detail.asp?T1=PIL%20BBP-SF%20BLK

I don't think anyone here has mentioned Staedtler brand writing instruments, but I really really like their ballpoint pens too. They write so smoothly <3

[grammar edits woo woo]
Last edited by ginadagny on Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Rammi

Postby Rammi » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:11 pm UTC

When I went to posh private schools with strict rules, almost all pens were disallowed. The only pen you could use was a fountain pen. I eventually grew to love them, because the ink lasts for ages and you don't have to press into the page like you do with ballpoint pens.

Adrien

Postby Adrien » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:14 am UTC

Something I am curious of, because I often use Composition Notebooks to take notes in, and therefor use both sides of the paper. How are the Pilot Pens and the Uniballs on showing through the paper? This is the entire reason I've stopped using fountain pens, while I love them, their tendency to show up not only on the page I'm writing on, but also the next 3 (Only slightly an exaggeration, but you get my point), kinda kills my ability to use them for my intended purposes. Does anyone have any recommendations for pens that don't have such a high tendency to show through paper? Or maybe a mechanical pencil which writes smoothly, instead of feeling like I'm etching marks into the paper with a needle? (This has always been my problem with Mechanical pencils, I'll break the end for some reason, and it'd always snap off into a point, pretty much making it's only real use a piercing weapon)

Dromtry

Postby Dromtry » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:16 am UTC

Adrien wrote:Something I am curious of, because I often use Composition Notebooks to take notes in, and therefor use both sides of the paper. How are the Pilot Pens and the Uniballs on showing through the paper? This is the entire reason I've stopped using fountain pens, while I love them, their tendency to show up not only on the page I'm writing on, but also the next 3 (Only slightly an exaggeration, but you get my point), kinda kills my ability to use them for my intended purposes. Does anyone have any recommendations for pens that don't have such a high tendency to show through paper? Or maybe a mechanical pencil which writes smoothly, instead of feeling like I'm etching marks into the paper with a needle? (This has always been my problem with Mechanical pencils, I'll break the end for some reason, and it'd always snap off into a point, pretty much making it's only real use a piercing weapon)

Comp notebooks have notoriously thin pages, even pencil is visible on the other side. For complete run through, I don't think either of Pilot or Uni-Ball's premiere rollerball seeped through.

The feel to a mechanical pencil is not the pencil itself, but the lead you load it with. If you use the crappy lead that it comes with, it can be scratchy and weak (hence the breaking). I'd suggest finding a mechanical pencil that you like holding and writing with, and load it with Pentel lead (Hi-Polymer Super or Ain).

Fountain pens are similar to mechanical pencils in the sense of what you load it with greatly effects the writing. Certain ink brands and even specific colors can seep through the pages much easier. Another thing to watch out for is your feed system. A fountain pen that practically squirts ink out will of course cause the writing to show through.
~steve

Adrien

Postby Adrien » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:55 am UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:
Adrien wrote:Something I am curious of, because I often use Composition Notebooks to take notes in, and therefor use both sides of the paper. How are the Pilot Pens and the Uniballs on showing through the paper? This is the entire reason I've stopped using fountain pens, while I love them, their tendency to show up not only on the page I'm writing on, but also the next 3 (Only slightly an exaggeration, but you get my point), kinda kills my ability to use them for my intended purposes. Does anyone have any recommendations for pens that don't have such a high tendency to show through paper? Or maybe a mechanical pencil which writes smoothly, instead of feeling like I'm etching marks into the paper with a needle? (This has always been my problem with Mechanical pencils, I'll break the end for some reason, and it'd always snap off into a point, pretty much making it's only real use a piercing weapon)

This should be a function of two things: the kind of ink you use, and the amount of ink your pen delivers to the paper. In fountain pens, if you've got an adapter, you can use any ink you like, so you might have better luck shopping around for inks. I use Noodler's bulletproof black and I can barely see it through my notebooks, which are cheap, but not precisely composition books. I've never had it (or any other ink for that matter, so it might be your pen) bleed through the page enough to be a problem, and certainly not onto the next page unless I actually spilled ink. At about $10 for 3 oz of ink, it's not expensive to try different kinds, though, just make sure to wash the pen first.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good fountain pen? I love how effortlessly fountain pens write, and how amazing they look on paper, but obviously I've had some bad experience with ink/the pen (One of the two, or possibly both). And on that note, is there any substitute for a composition notebook that would have thicker pages, in hopes of offering a bit more of a cushion to the see-through?

Dromtry

Postby Dromtry » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:32 pm UTC

My first fountain pen was excellent, a Pelikan M215. It actually cost about the same as my Duofold, so it's not really a pen that you could waste money on if you didn't like it.

About notebooks, Moleskines have slightly heavier pages than composition notebooks, and the largest size is about comparable to the size of a composition notebook. Moleskines are also a lot of stationary reviewers standard paper for test writes.
~steve

snowolf

Postby snowolf » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:01 pm UTC

I love Pentel's RSVP pen.
Papermate works well for being cheap.
How do you feel about felt-tip?
For a very different feel instead of using a 2B pencil try a 6B.
maybe if this is witty enough, someone will finally love me

ks_physicist

Postby ks_physicist » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:10 am UTC

All of my suggestions have already been made in the thread so far, but I want to tag it for the future...

Wait, has anyone mentioned the Pilot Precise Deluxe (Extra Fine)? I loved these for years...it looks like they d/c'ed them, but the replacement is reasonably similar.

Shivari

Postby Shivari » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:56 am UTC

Am I seriously the only person who doesn't give a shit about what I write with? I thought a pen was a pen. Granted, I lose pens all the time, so I really couldn't prefer one over another anyway, as I just buy a box of whatever and use them until they've all flown away.

Return to “School”