What sucks about being so smart?

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Re: What sucks about being so smart?

Postby Felstaff » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:19 pm UTC

Innocent wrote:First of all, I don't think I implied it, I stated it outright.

Which is where you fucked up, genius. sje is right, that kind of pathetically failed attempt at humour is not welcome here at all. It's not funny, and defending it makes you look, as the Pope once said, 'a bit of a cunt'. Admitting outright that your advice should be to intoxicate someone with intent to rape them makes you a bad person. I fail to see any jest, irony, or joke in what you just said; I feel you should lurk more to understand why your feeble attempt at rape-humour isn't welcome at all on this forum, and not participate any further in this thread.

Which is why the red text comes out now with the standard this is where the argument ends. Back on topic, now please. Woe betide any one who chooses to further comment on this off-topic subject.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:25 pm UTC

What sucks about "being so smart" is assuming that you're "[so] smart" to begin with. I could continue that point, but it'd just be repeating what's been said over the entirety of the last page (er, the entirety that was worth reading, at least).

Recognize that there are different types of intelligence, and that proficiency in school isn't the only positive trait that's meaningful. If you continue believing that you're smarter than everyone else (and believing that's what matters the most), then you'll find several things very difficult...

- It'll be impossible to work with anyone else. You'll get easily frustrated at your perception that other people just "aren't getting it" and that it'd just be easier if you did it all on your own. This kills your ability to work in groups, even when the groups you're working with are full of intelligent and hardworking people.

- It'll be difficult to get away from those negative labels you perceive as getting due to your smartness. The more you make it an issue, the more other people will respond to it.

- It'll be difficult to recognize when other people are intelligent. Funny thing about the belief that you're smarter than everyone else... if you get used to that thought, then even when it doesn't hold true, you do some mental gymnastics to make certain you can still believe it. ("He just memorized the entire textbook; that's why he did better on the test." "He just sucks up to the professor, that's why he did better on the paper." "He got lucky", etc.)

I say this because it's a problem I've had to deal with in myself as well. The key was to recognize that there are other kinds of intelligence, and other positive traits, besides the ones that I (believed that I) possessed. Yeah, people still associated negative labels with me on occasion (many folks who didn't know me personally just assumed that I did nothing but study all the time), but, really, if I managed to tune out the negative labels due to racism, then negative labels due to perceived studiousness were nothing.

If someone asks you for help, you should be grateful that they think well enough of you to ask something like that of you. If you don't have time to help them, tell them that. But if you keep up your believe that you're so smarter than anyone else, then until you actively work against it, you'll find it to be a serious hindrance later on.

theta4 wrote:The prospect of having so many job opportunities and being virtually recession-proof after college, though, is enough to make it worth it.

I like this parallel world you live in. Can I move there? (Besides, 5 years from now I certainly hope we don't end up in another recession.) KF
~Kizyr

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:15 pm UTC

Kizyr wrote:- It'll be impossible to work with anyone else. You'll get easily frustrated at your perception that other people just "aren't getting it" and that it'd just be easier if you did it all on your own. This kills your ability to work in groups, even when the groups you're working with are full of intelligent and hardworking people.
If his intellect is as big as his ego, then it won't be a problem, since he would be working with professors, some of which have similarly big ego and intellect anyways. But jokes aside, I agree with this comment a lot.
Kizyr wrote:- It'll be difficult to recognize when other people are intelligent. Funny thing about the belief that you're smarter than everyone else... if you get used to that thought, then even when it doesn't hold true, you do some mental gymnastics to make certain you can still believe it. ("He just memorized the entire textbook; that's why he did better on the test." "He just sucks up to the professor, that's why he did better on the paper." "He got lucky", etc.)
Actually, I find this to be untrue. Most likely, you would recognize the other person's sheer brilliance, and realize that you are an idiot. Then, you enter a slump. This happens even if you don't have such a big ego, but the ego makes it hit a lot harder. It's the people who thinks they are smart, but aren't, that will continue to delusion themselves.
Kizyr wrote:
theta4 wrote:The prospect of having so many job opportunities and being virtually recession-proof after college, though, is enough to make it worth it.

I like this parallel world you live in. Can I move there? (Besides, 5 years from now I certainly hope we don't end up in another recession.) KF
It's called grad school. If your grades are high enough, and you are willing to work for relatively crappy wages......

Velict

Postby Velict » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:40 pm UTC

Kizyr wrote:What sucks about "being so smart" is assuming that you're "[so] smart" to begin with. I could continue that point, but it'd just be repeating what's been said over the entirety of the last page (er, the entirety that was worth reading, at least).

I don't know that it's so difficult to make that assumption. It depends on how we define intelligence, true, but I think by most standards we can agree that it is possible to place people into an intelligence distribution (with considerable possibility for error), and furthermore that it is possible to become cognizant of your own position in said distribution. Claims of intelligence are not congruent with megalomania in all cases.

Recognize that there are different types of intelligence, and that proficiency in school isn't the only positive trait that's meaningful. If you continue believing that you're smarter than everyone else (and believing that's what matters the most), then you'll find several things very difficult...

I'm not entirely sure that Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences is valid. He's not particularly scientific in his work, frankly, and he tends to draw a lot of flak from the academic community. I would also present the argument that intelligence attempts to describe a (wide) range of abilities and skills that are affected by a single intelligence "trait," without implying that all things are affected by that trait. The fact that intelligence has no effect on how difficult I would find building a house to be does not imply that intelligence is a bankrupt concept.
- It'll be impossible to work with anyone else. You'll get easily frustrated at your perception that other people just "aren't getting it" and that it'd just be easier if you did it all on your own. This kills your ability to work in groups, even when the groups you're working with are full of intelligent and hardworking people.

In my experience, one of the things that society is good at is segregating people according to their intelligence. If we take the very basic example of school classes, the students found in advanced or enriched classes generally are part of the upper half of the intelligence distribution. They may be even higher, or they may just work very hard, but these students are typically the sort that "get" concepts very quickly, either on their own or with assistance from their peers.

Additionally, I have been able to abandon the additional perception of that things would be quicker if I worked on my own, as well, because substantial anecdotal evidence from my own life shows the opposite. I admit experiencing this perception to some degree in early stages of my life, but I would argue that one aspect of maturation is overcoming this sort of mode of thinking.

- It'll be difficult to get away from those negative labels you perceive as getting due to your smartness. The more you make it an issue, the more other people will respond to it.

True, but a significant number of these labels emerge because other people perceive me as intelligent, not because I perceive myself as intelligent. And I think it's difficult to argue that these labels emerge because of anything other than a common perception of the labeled as intelligence, when labels like "nerd" emerge from academic or scholarly interests, high grades and test scores, advanced classes, or intellectual pursuits - all things traditionally associated with intelligence and the intelligent.

- It'll be difficult to recognize when other people are intelligent. Funny thing about the belief that you're smarter than everyone else... if you get used to that thought, then even when it doesn't hold true, you do some mental gymnastics to make certain you can still believe it. ("He just memorized the entire textbook; that's why he did better on the test." "He just sucks up to the professor, that's why he did better on the paper." "He got lucky", etc.)

I would suggest that most people who label themselves as intelligent do not similarly hold the belief that they are smarter than anyone else. I also think that the problems you mention about "mental gymnastics" are again a problem of maturity, rather than simply thinking of oneself as intelligent.

But if you keep up your believe that you're so smarter than anyone else, then until you actively work against it, you'll find it to be a serious hindrance later on.

We'll see. I haven't experienced this yet, but I admit my own youth.

Velict

Postby Velict » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:45 pm UTC

achan1058 wrote:Actually, I find this to be untrue. Most likely, you would recognize the other person's sheer brilliance, and realize that you are an idiot. Then, you enter a slump. This happens even if you don't have such a big ego, but the ego makes it hit a lot harder. It's the people who thinks they are smart, but aren't, that will continue to delusion themselves.

I usually go out of my way to become friends with these people. :mrgreen:

Hak

Postby Hak » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:59 pm UTC

Spoiler:
sje46 wrote:What sucks the most is when the majority of you, the simpleton public, fail to recognize the genius of my avant-garde kazoo concertos.

Also, when people say you're smart, when you're really not that smart. Maybe I am smart, and I like to think I have common sense, if not much mental health. My dad always told me that I was going to go to Harvard, and become president or whatever. Gah. I'm a B student. I don't do my homework, or study. I'm smart, sure, but that doesn't make me write papers. In fact, I skip papers sometimes because I don't want to risk my esteem by dealing with the fact that I'm not competent enough to do it. Intelligence may get you far, but you'll get nowhere in life if you don't have any motivation. And if you place all your self-worth in something you may not have, you'd do anything to protect it, even if it ruins you in other ways. Instead of getting a C on a paper you tried hard on, you get an F for a paper you didn't write, but you can still say "I might have gotten an A, if I tried."

This is what labeling children as "the smart ones" does. It ruins them.

I do think, however, with lack of creativity and some organizational problems in my head aside, you can't really be intelligent if you don't recognize your own limits.

This. Are you me? I have a low-A average (85-96% average), but I don't do any non-assignment homework or any studying. I seem to give off an aura of "intelligence" according to my friends and they mostly assume that I'm the smartest person in the grade. I thoroughly want to live up to this expectation, perhaps because I don't want to suffer the disillusion of the possession of merely above-average intellect, or the inability to achieve my intellectual dreams with a less-than-genius intellectual capacity. As a result, I tend to believe that such meagre work like homework or studying is not befitting of someone of my delusional aptitude. Thus, I dismiss any tests I do poorly on as "oh well, I didn't study and still got a B, I would have gotten an A if I studied". However, I do have motivation for subjects I am thoroughly invested in - general engineering (assembler language, basic theory, boolean algebra, etc.) and programming, both of which I excel in.

JCM

Postby JCM » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:44 am UTC

You have to survive in honors classes full of people smarter than you because you managed to scantly avoid being thrown into the same pool as the underachievers. I wish there was more of a middle ground in life, because I for some reason have to be one or the other.

Lithium33

Postby Lithium33 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:48 am UTC

God I suck. Reading the things written here make me think about how I am. I am a lazy fuck, I never do any homework really and I don't want to do. I don't know if it's a "fear of failure" because on the stuff I have done, I get high grades on, easily. I should be doing homework right now, because I'm fairly far behind (although I think I overemphasize how far behind I am to myself, because I just don't want to make the effort. All my life I've been cruising by in school and life and such, and I don't know how to handle mental effort. I am such a loser and I want some motivation. Can I borrow some from someone? :/
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity." Hunter S. Thompson

"Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all." Neutral Milk Hotel

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:18 am UTC

Go to some place where everyone is smarter than you. You will pick up work habits quick enough, if you can survive the initial onslaught.

Lithium33

Postby Lithium33 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:20 am UTC

achan1058 wrote:Go to some place where everyone is smarter than you. You will pick up work habits quick enough, if you can survive the initial onslaught.

Seeing as I'm a senior, for the short term that isn't really plausible. College maybe, but I'm scared of completely flunking and stuff.
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity." Hunter S. Thompson

Velict

Postby Velict » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:46 am UTC

Lithium33 wrote:
achan1058 wrote:Go to some place where everyone is smarter than you. You will pick up work habits quick enough, if you can survive the initial onslaught.

Seeing as I'm a senior, for the short term that isn't really plausible. College maybe, but I'm scared of completely flunking and stuff.

You might. Failure happens. But a lack of ambition or effort gives you no chance of success.

ThomasS

Postby ThomasS » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:50 pm UTC

Lithium33 wrote:I am such a loser and I want some motivation. Can I borrow some from someone? :/

Learning to find your own motivation is perhaps the most important part of growing up. Quite possibly there are certain types of challenges which you would enjoy meeting. For example, when I solve a sufficiently challenging puzzle or research problem I sometimes think I know how drug addicts must feel. I think that the true tragedy of putting smart people into normal classes is that it reduces their opportunities for such experiences.

In any case, I hope that you can find the time to try whatever things you can think of which might be worthwhile. Good luck.

RockoTDF

Postby RockoTDF » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:56 am UTC

Forum ate a massive post I wrote the other night, so now you will all get a condensed version:

Forgive me if I sound like an asshole, but:

No one will ever care about your AP test scores. Ever. I am tired of coming on here and having people say "hey I'm smart/qualified for MIT I got 5s on AP Calc, AP Physics, whatever. Also, stop saying "Yeah, I was in AP History when the teacher said....", because the fact that it is AP has nothing to do with the funny thing the teacher said. Even if it was a reference to obscure material that isn't taught in regular US history. It doesn't matter.

You are not your test scores. You are not your GPA. You are not your alma mater. I'm not saying this in a touchy feely way, but pointing out that getting into college of your choice is not a reliable indicator of how "smart" you are (on that note, if getting in is the hard part, you need a better college!) nor is it an indicator of how successful you will be.

What sucks about being smart is being too young to really know what smart is (because you are comparing yourself to other teenagers) and too naive to know the difference between hard work and being smart, and the how sometimes the former takes you much further than the latter. For example, during finals week, my neuroscience course (in grad school) was assigned a 10 page paper on one of two topics, neither of which were discussed in class. The assignment was ridiculous because it meant that we had to go out and do a complete lit search, formulate an argument, and write the damn thing. While still studying for an in class exam in that course, other classes, and proctoring/grading exams in the classes that we TA. Now, you can either use that as example of something that requires intelligence and hard work, or you can use some math test that you have all year to prepare for and study.

On another note, I think the problem with the "follow your dreams" stuff is that we tell kids "believe in yourself/work hard enough and anything is possible" when we should say "without believing and hard work nothing is possible."
Just because it is not physics doesn't mean it is not science.
http://www.iomalfunction.blogspot.com <---- A collection of humorous one liners and science jokes.

ronnieka

Postby ronnieka » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:33 am UTC

I enjoyed reading all your opinions on the matter and have a few of my own to dish out as well.
I am an average student. I try to do my best and work as hard as i can but i know in the end that someone will do better at everything that i do, and i've learnt to accept that. It just saddens me the people who give up because they are not expected to be capable of anything, as with the people who cannot work because they have great expectations of put onto them by others. People need to be taught that it is your own expectations of yourself that matter most because in the end you can accept the disappointment of others but its tougher to accept your own disappointment. Whether others feel the same way i don't know. But one thing i cannot tolerate is some people's big-headedness. "I'm smart so i will have a great job and a successful life, based on some SAT scores or whatever the American exam systems are". Experience trumps theory. I understand however that i mock this because i admit i am jealous, because at the moment it seems that your only worries are a lack of motivation and expectations. If only i could be in your shoes. I have to worry whether i will achieve what i want to achieve because im worried that they will choose someone smarter over me. It makes me have to work so much harder and there is a possibility it won't help, considering people (for example teachers) love good marks to beef upb the reputation of their school.
Ummm, so that was my rant. Thanks for reading.

Lithium33

Postby Lithium33 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:50 pm UTC

ronnieka wrote:I enjoyed reading all your opinions on the matter and have a few of my own to dish out as well.
I am an average student. I try to do my best and work as hard as i can but i know in the end that someone will do better at everything that i do, and i've learnt to accept that. It just saddens me the people who give up because they are not expected to be capable of anything, as with the people who cannot work because they have great expectations of put onto them by others. People need to be taught that it is your own expectations of yourself that matter most because in the end you can accept the disappointment of others but its tougher to accept your own disappointment. Whether others feel the same way i don't know. But one thing i cannot tolerate is some people's big-headedness. "I'm smart so i will have a great job and a successful life, based on some SAT scores or whatever the American exam systems are". Experience trumps theory. I understand however that i mock this because i admit i am jealous, because at the moment it seems that your only worries are a lack of motivation and expectations. If only i could be in your shoes. I have to worry whether i will achieve what i want to achieve because im worried that they will choose someone smarter over me. It makes me have to work so much harder and there is a possibility it won't help, considering people (for example teachers) love good marks to beef upb the reputation of their school.
Ummm, so that was my rant. Thanks for reading.

I appreciate your input. I can't empathize with not being quick to grasp concepts because my brain literally cannot comprehend how people are slow with things. I get frustrated easy with other people and almost get angry with them in academic environments, even though I know it isn't their fault. I know it's my fault that I don't do my homework, that my lack of motivation is all on me, but that doesn't help anything. I feel silly compared to the people who work hard. I would kill to have your ability to focus and concentrate and not have an attitude of, "I'll do it later." It's funny, because I usually rail against standardized tests and grades in general, I hate them and how they define a person, because I know they define me. I've rebelled something fierce against the "AP kid" culture. I mostly hang out with the druggie and partyer types and that's where all my friends are. All I really care about as of right now is weed, saving up money to visit a girl in England, getting into the one college 1800 miles away I want to go to, and the people I know on the Internet. School is practically an afterthought for me, a silly diversion that I begrudgingly go to and don't really care or pay attention. It's difficult to give a fuck when you see yourself as "too smart for school". I know that's egotistical and stupid and wrong, but it's how I get through without having to make an effort. I don't know if I can muster up the willpower to care about the here and now.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:01 pm UTC

The words "wobbly headed bob" come to mind.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

ronnieka

Postby ronnieka » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:24 am UTC

Thanks for not tearing me to pieces Lithium33.
It's sad how the education system seems to have failed for those who are average or people who could be brilliant but lack motivation or could hate school or have reasons why school is merely an obstacle in the way of what they really want to do which is obviously not be in school. There is a lot of focus on people who are recognised as having a great mind and are immediately put to work by skipping grades/years and challenging their minds which is a great thing( one example is the guy who started this debate, and i still dont know why he started this in the first place-to brag/complain??-i don't know). There are also focuses on people who are disruptive but no attempts at the people who they see as merely average or know they will not try very hard to have a good go at life in their eyes. There are people around me who could really make a mark in this world but don't see themselves as being able to accomplish anything as they have no support, encouragement or any way of challenging themselves to do better. The average folk like myself are put in mixed classes with better? minds in accelerated programs (this is in new zealand). I understand im not brainy enough for the smarter classes but could i at least get some indication that you think that i am worth a bit more than an a.t.m for stupid renovations for the school through fees? But in reality i can only be noticed if i produce outstanding results in exams or get scholarships. Frustrating as hell...
---I realise that this comment may have be written due to my severe jealousy and possibly very conceited disorder i haven't quite diagnosed.

Secateurs

Postby Secateurs » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:06 pm UTC

With the whole motivation thing, it's really something that you just have to realise yourself. It's probably not a fault of yourself, or of the people around you, I feel that it's more just something which needs its time to develop. I mean, personally I was told from about year... 5 that I wasn't doing as well as I was capable of. But at that age, there was no way that school was my big concern. I just coasted. Same thing continued until probably the start of this year (year 11), when I realised that if I wanted the Dux, I could get it - but I'd have to put a LOT more effort in. It was the kick that I needed to actually learn how to study.
That and one of my teachers got kind of scary if you didn't do as well as he expected. On the first day, he said: "I don't deal well with failure."
ronnieka wrote:There is a lot of focus on people who are recognised as having a great mind and are immediately put to work by skipping grades/years and challenging their minds which is a great thing
I agree with this very much. For my high school at least, if you don't show that you're brilliant in year 8, it can be pretty hard to get into the extension classes for the next two years. Mind you, most of those years don't really matter too much anyway - we all get mixed in year 11 and I think that that helps to even out the focus, as you put it, on students overall.
Shivahn wrote:Given RNA, derive a spider monkey.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:20 pm UTC

JCM wrote:You have to survive in honors classes full of people smarter than you because you managed to scantly avoid being thrown into the same pool as the underachievers. I wish there was more of a middle ground in life, because I for some reason have to be one or the other.

Fortunately, there is ample middle ground in life. Just not in secondary school, which is a very flawed, if basically functional, human construct.
RockoTDF wrote:On another note, I think the problem with the "follow your dreams" stuff is that we tell kids "believe in yourself/work hard enough and anything is possible" when we should say "without believing and hard work nothing is possible."

Insightful. But I think sometimes one is appropriate and sometimes the other; currently we err too much in favor of the former.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Buddha with a bra on

Postby Buddha with a bra on » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:15 pm UTC

I found that - when one was once considered 'smart' (long story, may tell, sore topic) - the worst thing is the pressure. Everyone expects you to do well, to a point, and to try to the best of your abilities, yada yada yada. But it came to a point where suddenly, you're being expected to do more than you can handle, because when you've spent years dealing with (generally) everything thrown your way, people don't realise you still have limits, and continue to try and push you way past them.

I think this has probably been described in a more fluent way previously. I'm not smart anymore. :P
My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud...

Walter.Horvath wrote:I can only think to high-five the hell out of you.

Damon Tarlaei

Postby Damon Tarlaei » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:41 pm UTC

I have some mixed feelings about the general arrogance that tends to criticised. 2008 I graduated from secondary school with very good grades across the sciences (calc, stats, phys, chem) and had spent a lot of my time through secondary as somewhat of a loner. Having been accustomed to academic discussions at home, with a philosopher for a brother and academic parents, I found that the general level of discussion of my peer group was mostly trite "did you hear who hooked up over the weekend?" As such, I was never really very social at school or went to parties with that group. Instead, me and my group of friends, who were a group randomly found over many years, held parties which normally started with discussions of physics, maths, philosophy, the existence of god, end ended up with fun drinking games, good music and good dancing. It isn't that we don't know how or don't like to party.

Since early 2009, I have been living overseas in Uruguay. As part of the exchange program, I have had to go back to school, and due to a bunch of really weird and silly issues, I was put into the penultimate year of their schooling. IE, two years behind where I had been, and furthermore, it is a bilingual school, so although I knew no Spanish, I didn't have any problems in the classes because they were in English. Because I had done all of the coursework years before, I was not at all challenged and was completely bored in class. Whenever I was asked questions, I got them right. When we did tests, I was top of the class, and wasn't trying, not listening, not doing any homework. But I wasn't trying to show my intelligence. It was just I was BORED, and that was what was noticed.

We had two philosophy based classes, and I actually enjoyed these. I wasn't bored but I set myself out against most of the other students, because I was significantly more interested in the subjects and had had more experience in philosophical debate. Maybe that was arrogance, maybe that was showing off. For me, it was finally having a chance to use my brain, which was stagnant and needing exercise. In the end, I had very few friends in that school.

In comparison, I am also a classical musician and managed to get a seat in a youth orchestra here. I have a large number of friends from that orchestra and we hardly talk about anything related to anything from the school. We will talk about music, about the orchestra, about general things in life, plans for the future, things like that. At times, even, we talk about topics that I have a general tendency to despise - "did you hear about who hooked up over the weekend?"

The summary of this I guess is, it sucks being smart because there tends to be very people who share your interest in academic pursuits. As such, unless you can find some other common ground on which to start the relationship, you will find building friendships difficult.

kissthedemon

Postby kissthedemon » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:46 pm UTC

I'm a lot older than most here, so I have a lot of "life experience" to draw upon. I am also one of "you", a science/math/computer type. What I would suggest for the original poster is that you should actively seek out areas where you don't know jack shit. If you are really "smart", you already know it is impossible to know everything. Seek out areas where your knowledge is feeble (there are a lot) and experience life with those folks. It will be both humbling (to realize you ain't 'all that') and informative (to learn there are a lot of folks much smarter than you are). So if you are one of the typical 'book smart' types (such as people that get great grades and test scores), go hang out with some elite athletes, or virtuoso musicians. Find someone that is great with mechanical things or great working with their hands. You'll quickly realize how feeble you are in those areas, immediately squelching your ego, and making you appreciate the vast variety of real talents in the world. It may also re-energize your focus on what you are good at. You'll learn to appreciate what you have. People with talents of all kinds experience what you experience. I have a close friend that is a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and a fighter in the UFC. He constantly has people that want to train with him. Its the same thing.

Your original question is: "what sucks about being so smart"? My answer is that what sucks most is that I have an unending desire to know things, and I realize that I will die without having the answers to a lot of the "big questions" I have about the universe! That sucks.

Civics

Postby Civics » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:21 am UTC

Why do you think being good at tests makes you "smart" as opposed to someone who's a great artist or someone who's great at interrupting poetry.

It's ridiculous to limit "smart" to getting a 5.0 and testing well.

Get your ego in check.

kissthedemon

Postby kissthedemon » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:08 pm UTC

Civics wrote:Why do you think being good at tests makes you "smart" as opposed to someone who's a great artist or someone who's great at interrupting poetry.

Get your ego in check.

The common meaning of the term "smart" is to mean intelligent, as often measured through test scores and grades in school. This is how the original poster was referring to his/her self. If someone is an elite athlete, that is not usually described as "smart" is it? Who do you consider smart out of these choices: Andrea Bocelli or Edward Witten? Yet both are great in their own way.

My point was that being "smart" is not the only way a person can shine in their life. And learning that might help the original poster with their plight.

Civics

Postby Civics » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:55 pm UTC

kissthedemon wrote:
Civics wrote:Why do you think being good at tests makes you "smart" as opposed to someone who's a great artist or someone who's great at interrupting poetry.

Get your ego in check.

The common meaning of the term "smart" is to mean intelligent, as often measured through test scores and grades in school. This is how the original poster was referring to his/her self. If someone is an elite athlete, that is not usually described as "smart" is it? Who do you consider smart out of these choices: Andrea Bocelli or Edward Witten? Yet both are great in their own way.

My point was that being "smart" is not the only way a person can shine in their life. And learning that might help the original poster with their plight.

That's a poor example. Who's "smarter" - John Cage or Robert Oppenheimer?

Kurushimi

Postby Kurushimi » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:09 am UTC

Civics wrote:
kissthedemon wrote:

Get your ego in check.

That's a poor example. Who's "smarter" - John Cage or Robert Oppenheimer?

They're both smart. But who was talking about comparing levels of intelligence? Why shouldn't someone who gets high test scores be considered smart?

notzeb
Without Warning

Postby notzeb » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:09 am UTC

Kurushimi wrote:
Civics wrote:That's a poor example. Who's "smarter" - John Cage or Robert Oppenheimer?

They're both smart. But who was talking about comparing levels of intelligence? Why shouldn't someone who gets high test scores be considered smart?
Wrong. The correct answer was "me".

That reminds me of another problem with being smarter than everyone else. You feel a need to correct people's mistakes, even when you realize that it's something they need to learn themselves. As the saying goes, "the hardest thing in the world is to watch someone else screw up something you can do easily, without interfering."

I think I've mastered it, though. I watched my own daughter fall off of a 327 meter high overhang due to an incorrect toe placement, which I did not warn her against because I wanted her to figure it out for herself. It paid off - she's never made that mistake since.
Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­Z

MHD

Postby MHD » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:21 am UTC

I can only add:
I think I might have developed mild megalomania from my smarts.
Also, you tend to become lazy with school work.
EvanED wrote:be aware that when most people say "regular expression" they really mean "something that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike a regular expression"

Cheezwhiz Jenkins

Postby Cheezwhiz Jenkins » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:41 am UTC

notzeb wrote: I watched my own daughter fall off of a 327 meter high overhang due to an incorrect toe placement, which I did not warn her against because I wanted her to figure it out for herself. It paid off - she's never made that mistake since.

Was that 327 meters over something soft, or was she secured in some type of harness or something that made this safe in some way?
That explosion was so big it blew off his mullet :-O

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:56 am UTC

Cheezwhiz Jenkins wrote:
notzeb wrote: I watched my own daughter fall off of a 327 meter high overhang due to an incorrect toe placement, which I did not warn her against because I wanted her to figure it out for herself. It paid off - she's never made that mistake since.

Was that 327 meters over something soft, or was she secured in some type of harness or something that made this safe in some way?
I hope he doesn't mean by that she died from it, since real or imaginary, it's not a very funny joke.

Cheezwhiz Jenkins

Postby Cheezwhiz Jenkins » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:03 pm UTC

achan1058 wrote:I hope he doesn't mean by that she died from it, since real or imaginary, it's not a very funny joke.

Indeed. I initially had something *far* less polite written, but thought I'd at least see if it was some kind of stupid "but she was in a 5 point harness!" type thing. :S
That explosion was so big it blew off his mullet :-O

masterwizard

Postby masterwizard » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:15 am UTC

I consider myself intelligent too, but I think my megalomania is largely offset by my generally shy and polite personality. Like, I think I'm smarter than almost everyone, but my behavior doesn't reflect that. And in a social situation, I can't help but feel inferior to other people just because I really suck at making conversation and stuff. I think I use my intelligence to buffer myself up, so I distantly think I'm smarter than them in order to compensate.

And I enjoy helping people with homework problems, it makes me feel popular, even though I'm not good at helping people understand concepts that I just grasp immediately. I have great patience, but not very good communication skills, partly because I sound like a nerd...

But people also don't really ask me for help all that much. They don't define me as a nerd, because they don't know I'm intelligent. This is partly because I don't brag about my scores... and partly because their perception of me is entirely dominated by the fact that I'm Screech, and fly through the halls like a pterodactyl wearing a cape while screeching :D :D :D

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:31 am UTC

Wondering why (almost) everyone around you isn't as smart as you.
Either that or having everyone ask me about my study habits (hint: if I answered honestly, I'd be setting them up for failure; if I gave the same BS they spewed in my middle school's study habits class, I'd be giving them more of the same advice that hasn't been working/followed)
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:50 am UTC

I think the "worst" thing is the question "Why are you so smart?". I mean, there isn't really a good way to answer this without either sounding like a jerk or sounding horribly cynical.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

Limepulp

Postby Limepulp » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:18 am UTC

I'm smarter than most people at my school, but I don't consider myself to be "OH SO SMART" (notice the term 'most'). But I only help people if they are nice to me otherwise they can go get help of someone else.

If you think you're smart, you may very well be, but don't go parading it around. If you were really smart you wouldn't need to.

theta4

Postby theta4 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:25 am UTC

"Smart" originated from popular opinion at my school. I feel like the Leonard Nimoy of mathematics and science! I Am Not Supergenius.

I've had the #1 ranking senior call me the "omega genius." WHAT IS THAT EVEN SUPPOSED TO MEAN?! It frustrates me that I'm known only for my academic ability.
GENERATION -i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.
PREVIOUS GENERATION: 1-i

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:52 am UTC

The main issue with being smart is lower education. Unless you are very lucky, school is going to be boring as hell for you. It's kind of like watching Teletubbies where they repeat trivial things 14 times, except, after the 14th time, some kid asks a question of the form "But what about (what the teacher just said)?".

Heck, I was up to so much shenanigans before high school, I even got kicked out once. It got mildly better at high-school, where I at least could pester the teacher with complicated questions, or invent more challenging ways of solving the problem at hand when I got bored.

University is a breeze. They can challenge me at last. I'm still somewhat of an underachiever by habit though. Not to the point where I get poor grades, but I could probably take more classes in parallel than I do now.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:33 pm UTC

theta4 wrote:"Smart" originated from popular opinion at my school. I feel like the Leonard Nimoy of mathematics and science! I Am Not Supergenius.

I've had the #1 ranking senior call me the "omega genius." WHAT IS THAT EVEN SUPPOSED TO MEAN?! It frustrates me that I'm known only for my academic ability.

Do you need the high school band to march around behind you 24/7 to announce your presence to everyone at all times, O Your Superiorness?

Seriously, did you read this thread at all?

If you're serious and you're really frustrated that you're only known for academic ability, then fix it. Make closer friends. Improve your interpersonal skills. No, talking about your PSAT scores doesn't count. (99th percentile...so? I'm a National Merit Finalist and that honor turned out to say nothing about my academic success in college. Wait til college.)

Edit: it occurs to me you made that topic in General in reaction to the negative responses you got in this thread.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

cv4

Postby cv4 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:12 pm UTC

This thread really needs to die. It is really either:
a) high school kids thinking they are the smartest people ever, since they haven't gotten the shock that is university yet
b) university kids who reminisce about being smart in high school and now are just average in university

Shpow

Postby Shpow » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:36 pm UTC

I'm regarded, in all of my classes (bar one where the students don't have to participate) as the proverbial smart guy. Why? Well, it's just the level of my English mainly. (Although, English is one of my major subjects, along with Philosophy) this puts me up higher than the students--in their mind. Really, I'm an average student and they tend to do better than me in tests. So I get a little annoyed when people always assume they did worse than me, that I'm a standard; because I'm not. I'm not going to say I'm dumb, but I'm a lazy fool with a strong standing of eloquence with English (It's a second language)
On the surface, in view, an unnamed member,
Underneath that, a flame amidst the embers.
And in that surge of flames ne'er growing fainter,
Lies the beauty of art in the young painter.

Cute Jailbait, belonging to DJorgensen!

Return to “School”